Start by marking “A Girl, a Raccoon, and the Midnight Moon” as Want to Read:
A Girl, a Raccoon, and the Midnight Moon

A Girl, a Raccoon, and the Midnight Moon

In a slightly fantastical New York City, one very special library branch has been designated for possible closure. Bookish, socially awkward Pearl, the daughter of the librarian, can't imagine a world without the library—its books, its community of oddballs, its hominess. When the head of their Edna St. Vincent Millay statue goes missing, closure is closer than ever. But ...more
Published January 7th 2020 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about A Girl, a Raccoon, and the Midnight Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Girl, a Raccoon, and the Midnight Moon

Start your review of A Girl, a Raccoon, and the Midnight Moon
Mitticus
+Digital ARC gently provided by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review+

4.5 let's enjoy to read stars

I don't know but I loved it.

It is said that a village is needed to raise a child, well what do you think of a library? In this beautiful story about a girl, the librarian's daughter, and where we are in a world that points strongly towards globalization maybe we lost some things, we here recover the sense of love of a small community that represents a family, about friendship, facing together
Kelly  (UnshelvedEdition)
The Girl, a Raccoon, and the Midnight Moon

I am a big lover and supporter of middle grade books. I have a son in middle school who I read books with and it’s so important to me that he is reading books that teach him valuable lessons and help him grow as a person.

I really loved the idea behind this book. A little girl who is so passionate about the library her mother works at, seeking out an adventure to not only restore the missing/damaged property of a prized statue, but also to bring the
Queen Cronut
Oct 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, arcs, netgalley
A cute middle-grade novel featuring raccoons, a statue's missing head, and the libraries- really this felt like a love letter to libraries with its quirky sidebars and literary reference footnotes. The plot seems to drag in places and was a bit long but overall, A Girl, A Raccoon, and the Midnight Moon was a fun read with themes of friendship and exploring the importance of imagination.

*Thank you to NetGalley and Chronicle Books publishers for providing a free ARC
Erika O’Neill
Jun 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Actual rating: 3.5/5

So, I may have DNF this book. However, it has nothing to do with the book itself, I think it just wasn’t my thing and by looking at the cover and the synopsis I thought it was different, but it just wasn’t a match. I think I would’ve enjoyed it at a younger age. As I grow up sometimes I can still enjoy middle grade, but this one just wasn’t my cup of tea.

However, I would’ve probably greatly enjoyed this book as a kid, and I feel like it’d be a perfect book to read as a class
Marissa Gehrke
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
Listen, this book is not perfect. The plot drags at times and the librarians have apparently never heard of outreach. But 5 stars since I will probably never read a book about reading raccoons ever again.
Sarah Davalt
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-tbr
I received this book as an Advanced Reader's Copy (ARC) through NetGalley. It will be published January 7, 2020
Pearl Moran is 10 years old and starting 5th grade. She was actually born at the library! Her mom is the circulation desk librarian and dating the library manager Bruce. Bruce used to be a park ranger, and has costume of Ranger Rick the Raccoon. Pearl’s father has never been in the picture. The library is her home, and the library staff her family. But her library is not doing well,
Jackie ϟ Bookseller
3/5 stars:

"You can take us out of the library, but you can't take the library out of us."

A Girl, a Raccoon, and the Midnight Moon is a witty little story of a book-loving girl teaming up with the local (literate) raccoons to save the NYC library they all grew up in. When the head of the library's statue is stolen, negative attention is brought to the aging library that may lead to its destruction. Will Pearl and her friends, both human and otherwise, save the building, their home, in time?

This
Anniek
Jan 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: mc-of-colour
Pearl was born in the library, and she considers it her home. So when the library might be closing, and on top of that the head of the statue in the library garden gets stolen, she decides to take action. Her mother has always been telling her stories of raccoons who've learned to read because they live in the library garden. But are they really just stories?

When I have a bad day, I often reach for a middlegrade novel to read. They tend to be so wholesome and uplifting, and sometimes that's
Donna Merritt
Oct 18, 2019 rated it liked it
A sweet and strong story that celebrates a love of literacy and libraries, while interweaving suspension of disbelief, stepping out of your comfort zone, and examining perceptions about others. The sidebars are full of interesting tidbits and this librarian enjoyed the many references to wonderful books. What does it take to save a library? Advocacy, storytelling, passion . . . and perhaps a few reading raccoons? A perfect addition to our grade 4/5 school library.
Beth Anne
Jan 30, 2020 added it
Shelves: dnf
I received a free review copy from the publisher. I put this book down after reading more than 100 pages and haven't felt any strong desire to pick it back up again. On the surface it looked like a great fit for me -- library, mystery, fun illustrations, quirky footnotes and sidebars -- but the writing was very awkward and cumbersome and the story felt very disjointed and rambled on.
Tonja Drecker
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
With a tinsy-tiny touch of fantasy, this is a lovely tale about community, friendship and a wonderful library.

Pearl's world rotates around the library. She's a shy girl, who loves living between books and the library world. But not everything is bright ink and shiny pages. The library isn't doing well, and when the head of the almost never visited statue goes missing, no one but Pearl really seems to care. Determined to save the library and figure out what happened to her beloved statue's head,
Allison Renner
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Pearl was born in the library, and has grown up in the same branch. It's where she goes after school, where her mom works, and where all her (adult, librarian) friends are. When Pearl discovers the library's statue of Edna St. Vincent Millay has been beheaded, she lets out a scream that sets off a chain of events. Some are good, like a potential new friend who's actually Pearl's age. Some are bad (besides the beheading itself), like the library possibly being shut down due to budget ...more
Ms. Yingling
Oct 03, 2019 rated it liked it
E ARC provided by Netgalley

Pearl was practically born at the branch library where her mother works, and considers it home. When the head of the Edna St. Vincent Millay statue is stolen from the scruffy garden, Pearl is devastated and determined to find the culprit. Her mother alerts the local newspaper, and the attention the branch receives brings to light the fact that it isn't as busy as the other branches and because the building is in poor condition, it might be sold. Evil contractors even
Kelly Hager
This is probably the most delightful book I've read this year. As you know, I absolutely love books about books and readers, and Pearl is an excellent example of this. She's never known a life without the library (her mom is the librarian and Pearl was literally born in the library) and so when that's threatened, she's both devastated and determined to figure out how to save it.

But this is also a magic story. There really are raccoons that can read and write, and they really do run their own
Alice
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It all begins with a scream. The head from the beloved statue of Edna St. Vincent Millay is missing and Pearl needs to find out who took it. As the book-literate daughter of a New York City librarian mother, awkward Pearl learns to make friends and rally support to save closure of the library - even if her new friends include the resident raccoons that can read and write. This book has plenty of charm, warm-hearted richly drawn characters and a shy girl who finds her voice when there is a cause ...more
Joey Susan
I found this available to read on NetGalley and got an ebook of A Girl, A Racoon and the Midnight Moon written by Karen Romano Young.

I thought that this sounded really cute and would be a story I would enjoy, a girl that wants nothing more than to save her beloved library, it sounded so sweet. Unfortunately though I found I wasn’t enjoying nor connecting to the story or characters and decided to DNF this book.

It just wasn’t a book for me and that’s okay, I’m pretty sure that many children
Pam
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
I received an electronic ARC from Chronicle Books through NetGalley.
The premise was intriguing and I'm glad I read it but the characters were flat and didn't grow or change much at all through the whole story. There was potential for change included but the writing style buried it.
Loved the sidebars from M.A.M. I won't spoil the identity for other readers. They added interest and information to the plot.
This is one that could have benefited by less background information and shorter,
Amy Hodges
Oct 14, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a book about a young girl, Pearl, who is trying to save the library where she was born and her mother works. Overall, I felt that this book was too long for my readers. Had it been about half the length, I would have recommended it for my students. Mild language can also be found throughout this book. For those reasons, I will not be purchasing it for the library.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for an eARC of this book. It is expected to be published on January 7, 2020.
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a cute chapter book for middle age kids. The Characters are well thought out and the story is enjoyable. Brings to life the hopes and dreams and magic a library can bring forth to children. The way the story has the characters coming together to solve problems and work towards a goal work good. would recommend this book.
MayorEmma
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
I received an arc of this book on netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I almost did not finish this book- it just wasn't for me. it seemed to go on and on and some of it just dragged. I thought it was interesting that there were little sidebars- I don't know whether it took away from the main text or not.
J.D. DeHart
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Images and text combine for a reading experience that is sure to capture young people. The prose is clean, clear, and character-driven, and the story is engaging. A beautiful product that can be enjoyed by a wide range of readers, perfect for school libraries, personal reading at home, and classroom work.
Seren
Aug 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for allowing me to read an e-ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
This was a bit of an odd one. It wasn’t very gripping. The two main things I did enjoy about this book were the illustrations, and people rallying to save a library. Other than that, I didn’t really enjoy this book.
Patti Sabik
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
3.5 Really wonderful story...just a bit too long. I don’t think this story warranted being nearly 400 pages. I loved the illustrations and sidebars; they really did add to the understanding and humor of the story. Unfortunately, with the main protagonists expressly being 10 years old, this cute mystery would not move in my middle school.
Stephanie Cassidy
Dec 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
DNF @ 18%
I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
The synopsis seemed so much different than the actually book. I thought it would be for me, but I guess not. I didn’t like the writing style and the words were really simple - nothing complex.
Kate
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This children's chapter book was entertaining and cute! As a library prepares to close, Pearl (how cute is this vintage revival?!) cannot come to terms with this and a mystery soon comes to light. I think many children around her age will find this very relatable and enjoyable! Great read!
B
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was ok
I did not finish... I cant do books with intrusive narrators and this one does that. There are "sidebars"- first one explains what a side bar his- SMH. Then the footnotes. Too much distraction- I made it in about 20 pages. I hope this book can find a reader, but I am not that reader.
Amanda Williams
Jan 17, 2020 rated it liked it
This wasn't a bad storyline once it got going but I did find that it dragged in places quite a bit. Not a consistent flow of pace. Not a bad read though.
Andréa
Jun 28, 2019 marked it as to-read
Note: I received an ARC of this book from the publisher at ALA Annual 2019.
Marci
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
I judged this book by its cover ... and probably also by the quote by the author of Ella Enchanted, both of which I love. Pearl is the librarian’s daughter, spends her time in the books, and was even born in the library. Unfortunately, the library is in trouble and when the head of the library’s beloved garden statue is stolen one night, things are looking dire for the future of the library. Pearl sets out on a mission to save her library home and get the community interested in books and ...more
Tamara
Dec 27, 2019

• The Other Half of Happy
  • Cub
  • From the Desk of Zoe Washington
  • Clean Getaway
  • Beverly, Right Here
  • Wrecking Ball (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #14)
  • Light It Up
  • The Fountains of Silence
  • What Kind of Girl
  • The Forgotten Girl
  • Allies
Karen Romano Young is the author of young adult novels as well as nonfiction books and magazine articles. Although Small Worlds: Maps and Mapmaking is her first book for Scholastic, she has contributed to Scholastic magazines for the past twenty years. Her other credits include Cricket, National Geographic World, and The Guinness Book of World Records.

Member: Society of Children's Book Writers and