Start by marking “I'm Not Here to Give a Speech” as Want to Read:
I'm Not Here to Give a Speech

I'm Not Here to Give a Speech

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  1,339 ratings  ·  164 reviews
Available in English for the first time in the U.S., a collection of the speeches of Nobel Prize-winning author Gabriel Garc�a M�rquez.

Throughout his life, Gabriel Garc�a M�rquez spoke publicly with the same passion and energy that marked his writing. Now the wisdom and compassion of these performances are available in English for the first time. I'm Not Here to Give a Spe
Published January 8th 2019 by Vintage (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about I'm Not Here to Give a Speech, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'm Not Here to Give a Speech

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of I'm Not Here to Give a Speech
Ahmad Sharabiani
Yo no vengo a decir un discurso = I'm Not Here to Give a Speech, Gabriel García Márquez

I began to be a writer in the same way I climbed up on this platform- I was coerced.

I confess I did all I could not to attend this assembly- I tried to get sick, I attempted to catch pneumonia, I went to the barber, hoping he'd slit my throat, and, finally, it occurred to me to come here without a jacket and tie so they wouldn't let me in . . . but I forgot I was in Venezuela, here you can go anywhere in shi
aayushi girdhar
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marquez sure knows how to weave words together to form beautiful masterpieces. When we talk about someone being truly gifted, i think Marquez would definitely make it to the list. This book titled 'I'm not here to give a speech' is a compilation of his speeches dispersed over his lifetime.

my rating might seem elevated to some, I'd blame that on my tendentiousness towards beautiful, natural things, especially words that seem to belong together.
Oana Ciurdarean
I know I am subjective because I love Gabo, but still, the speeches were very touching, especially the one from 2007 in which a bit of the history of One Hundred Years of Solitude is revealed.
Steven
These 21 speeches are a testament to the wit, humor, and imaginative story-telling power of Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez, as well as to his inexhaustible dedication to the crafts of writing and journalism (or, as he would simply call them: poetry). The speeches span a wide range of occasions, from grand ones like his Nobel Prize acceptable speech, to more obscure talks held at gatherings of mutually interested friends around Latin America. Diffused among them all are concern with the state and fate o ...more
Never Without a Book
I'm Not Here to Give a Speech is a short collection of Gabriel García Márquez’s speeches. Márquez is the Nobel Prize-winning author of masterpieces, One Hundred Years of Solitude (1967) and Love in the Time of Cholera (1985).

In his speeches Márquez discourses on the “tragedy” of Latin America, whose wars, military coups and thwarted political idealism make it the “immense homeland of deluded men”. Márquez spoke from experience. His father, Gabriel Eligio García, had worked in Colombia in the 19
Ying Ying
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a collection of speech scripts that Gabriel Garcia Marquez wrote throughout his life. The scripts are all short yet dense and full of color and meaning. I didn't expect to enjoy a collection of short discourses this much.
By reading this book, I learned the power of words, imagination and culture. These can change one's life and the course of a society's destiny. They are, in short, all that matter.
Donna Hines
Oct 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, netgalley
These speeches are testament to his writing, his style, his intellect to capture the hearts and minds of readers across all genres.
My ex husband is a huge fan and has often sent me notifications pertaining to Gabriel's work so it's no surprise I wanted to see what the hype was all about.
This is my first read having recently finished a book by his nephew.
I went into this not knowing what to expect but came out with a new appreciation of his work as his talent is truly remarkable and it's not a se
Bogdan Raț
When I look at the first page on wich I wrote the date I bought this book - 15 months ago - I get emotional, thinking how much has passed since then and that I only read it now...thinking how it stood on my shelf among other books. Shame on me for reading it in 31 days.

Besides his most famous speech, The Solitude of Latin America I really enjoyed The Doom of Damocles - it really is something special about it, it's written in a different style than the others, almost like a tale -, Bottle to the
Elie
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very special book from the most special person
Kenneth
Mar 10, 2019 rated it liked it
GGM is a natural-born storyteller of epic proportions. Yet, his power has always presented itself in his fiction. That is where he shines brightest.
Dick Hamilton
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of speeches written by Garcia Marquez and they reveal much of his style as an author. Although several are memorable and worth reading, the one titled "The Cataclysm of Damocles" is worth reading and remembering and would further any discussion on the true benefits of peace.
Kirsten
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautiful collection of speeches by Gabriel García Márquez. His words flow effortlessly, yet weave a powerful punch. It is fascinating to watch his evolution through his speeches, from a student at a boarding school into his golden years. His passion never waned for the people of Central and South America.
Steph
Aug 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many people love him for his books, but by reading his speeches/essays you get an idea of what Gabriel Garcia Marquez was really like. He was passionate about social problems, the environment, and an overall improvement in the lives of Latin American people. A part that will always stay with me is when he says real authors don't write for awards; they're not looking to get crowned. They write because that's all they can do, and I think that's a beautiful way to put it.

He was such a brilliant wr
Luciana Nery
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What would a writer such as Gabriel Garcia Marquez write to inspire, to show gratitude, to explain himself and his craft as a writer? If you're even vaguely curious, this book is for you.

It's a collection of speeches. And that, coming from a writer such as GGM, is pure gold. In the first speech, 1944, he's leaving high school and writes and ode to friendship. Then the next speech is in 1970.

Through those speeches we can follow GGM's biographical details, laugh at his decidedly funny remarks, g
Jacqueline Alvarez
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading his speeches and getting a sense of the man behind the author. Though I might not agree with all his political stances, I enjoyed getting a window into his thought process. Every speech made me think about questions that he raised and ideas he put forth. He makes he realize who proud I am to be part Colombian. I also know that his death robed us of not just more of his books but of his thoughts and feelings about him. I know I learned a lot of about him and myself reading this ...more
John Benson
Despite the title, this is a collection of 21 speeches given by Gabriel Garcia Marquez from 1944 when he was 17 to 2007 when he was 80. The speeches capture his personality, humor, and the ideas that influenced his writing well. They allowed me to see a different side of him having read most of his novels, short stories and non-fiction books, but I found that I liked most of that writing better. I do like that it allowed me to see him in a new and different light.
Ana
Sep 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, language-es
I am honoured to have had the opportunity to read this.
There's not much I can say about this, it's a fantastic book, simple as that. Touching, strong and very easy to read, Yo no vengo a decir un dircurso is like an immersion in Márquez's history. I just feel like this book changed my life in some small, yet essential, way.
Brenda
Non-fiction is not my thing but I really liked it...
Susana
Mar 19, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A delightful selection of Marquez' speeches.
Adam
May 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir-autobio
I love reading about the artistic process, and the best part of this collection of Marquez's varied speeches given over his lifetime are the small insights he offers of his own artistic process:

"I hope I'll think of something, and when I do come up with an idea that I consider good enough to write down, I begin to go over it in my mind and let it keep maturing. When it's finished (and sometimes many years go by, as in the case of One Hundred Years of Solitude, which I thought over for nineteen
Jasmine Koh
"I want to believe, my friends, that this is, once again a tribute paid to poetry. Poetry by whose virtue the prodigious inventory of ships enumerated by old Homer in his Iliad are visited by a wind that pushes them to sail with unearthly, dazzling speed. Poetry that sustains, in the slender scaffolding of Dante's tercets, the entire dense, colossal structure of the Middle Ages. Poetry that with such miraculous totality reaches our America in "The Heights of Macchu Picchu" by Pablo Neruda, the g ...more
Katie
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, essays
As for me, I’d grovel shamelessly before this man’s brain in a jar.  Spend some time with the galactic genius of Gabriel Garcia Marquez in this collection of speeches spanning sixty-three years (1944-2007) and beginning with a speech he gave at seventeen to his graduating class.  Speeches, according to Marquez, are “the most terrifying of human commitments”, and he tells us, “I began to be a writer in the same way I climbed up on this platform, I was coerced.”  But how blessed are we to visit wi ...more
John
“I believe all our lives would be better,” says Márquez, “if each of you would always carry a book in your knapsack.” This very pertinent remark made to a military audience is one of a number of gems in this short book. Another is Gabo's explanation of how he portrayed (and exaggerated) the famous incident of the massacre of the banana workers. But overall I didn't think this worked well as a book. I'd love to have heard Gabo speak publicly, but having his spoken words in printed form doesn't re ...more
Ellen
Mar 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gabriel García Márquez doesn't like to give speeches. But he gives a lot of speeches. This is 120+ pages of speeches that he probably didn't really want to give but gave anyway. If you are a huge fan of the author and his works, you might really love this book. I found some of the speeches better than others, but overall I didn't go crazy over the work as a whole.
Sharon Pribble
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet little book of speeches by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. This work is an opportunity to become acquainted with the man in the writer. The topics range from the fate of man to his affection for the poet Muti. Many of the brief speeches are like a little visit, and a few are presentations about universal truths and issues. I loved it, this is one to re-read, often.
David Bjorlin
I love Marquez's fiction, but these speeches are hit or miss. Some are wonderful, and some not so much. But well worth the read.
“I believe all our lives would be better if each of you would always carry a book in your knapsack.”
Matt Miles
Aug 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gabriel Garcia Marquez’s reluctance to give public speeches emphasizes the urgency of the ones recorded here as he pleads the case for art, peace, humanity, and more. His voice is passionate, poetic, urgent, and necessary.
Xil
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I cannot give an impartial opinion. I simply love Gabo and always will =)
Ross Cohen
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Like a visit from a ghost.

• Opio en las nubes
  • أكثر من طريقة لائقة للغرق
  • Clases de literatura: Berkeley, 1980
  • الإنسانوية المستحيلة
  • Lecciones de liderazgo de Steve Jobs
Gabriel José de la Concordia Garcí­a Márquez was a Colombian novelist, short-story writer, screenwriter and journalist. Garcí­a Márquez, familiarly known as "Gabo" in his native country, was considered one of the most significant authors of the 20th century. In 1982, he was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature.

He studied at the University of Bogotá and later worked as a reporter for the Colombian