Start by marking “I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist” as Want to Read:
I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist

I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist

To some, the concept of having faith in a higher power or a set of religious beliefs is nonsensical. Indeed, many view religion in general, and Christianity in particular, as unfounded and unreasonable.

Norman Geisler and Frank Turek argue, however, that Christianity is not only more reasonable than all other belief systems, but is indeed more rational than unbelief itself.
Published March 12th 2004 by Crossway Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist, please sign up.
dsreads In my experience, that hesitation is only surface level. If you ask someone what they think about life, if there are aliens, does God exist, is this a…moreIn my experience, that hesitation is only surface level. If you ask someone what they think about life, if there are aliens, does God exist, is this all there is... they are more than happy to discuss it. Most of the time it's kind of a "gee I don't think about that enough, thanks for the converstion!" reaction.

My circumstances may be vastly different than yours though. I'm a single dude trying to bring up deep existential topics on dates, rather than talking about her favorite drink or sports team or the weather.

Still, just give it a try, and if the person truly doesn't care and would rather swipe through instagram pics, then they aren't really worth a deep conversation anyway!(less)

Start your review of I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist
L.S.
Jan 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: apologetics, 2009
This book is great! I recommend it to Christians or people who have serious doubts about the Christian faith. Atheist will probably say that the arguments are straw-man or the facts are not reliable.
I really enjoyed the first two chapters about logic and the knowledge of truth. A great part is where Norm is telling the story of how he, in only a few sentences, destroys the logical positivism course of one of his professors from Detroit University. Then the book deals with some arguments favorin
Alyssa
Mar 19, 2008 rated it it was ok

It was really hard to get through the first few chapters because they were so patronizing, but I muddled through the book so that when it comes up in discussions about religion, I'll know what people are talking about. It did get more interesting as it went on, but there were many logical fallacies, as other reviewers have also said. For instance, the Road Runner Tactic is key in knocking down Atheist arguments, such as when someone says "nothing is absolute" you can say "is the statement that n
Richard
Apr 05, 2012 rated it did not like it
Final Review:
Very hard to get through Chapter 6. I couldn't believe I still had half the book to wade through. But as bad as their argument is, I got through it.
This is an anti-education, anti-science book.
Their basic argument is "we don't understand, therefore there's a god."

First thoughts:

Just starting, so far, no good. Very fallacious.

How much faith does one have to have not to accept an unsupported claim? Let's take god out and stick in faery dust. If You were to tell me you have a pocket
Reader2007
Aug 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
This is pretty much the best book ever. I think that it's probably the no. 1 or 2 apologetics book that I've read so far. It's so logical! ...more
Michael
Mar 21, 2007 rated it did not like it
This book was given to me by my daughter who has become a Fundamentalists and she is trying her utmost to bring into the fold. As a courtesy to her, I slogged my way through it and found it to be a waste of time. The book is shot full with fallacies, dubious psychological extrapolations, bad philosophy and muddled thinking.
We did have some good discussions though :)))
Ed
Jun 22, 2008 rated it did not like it
While this book professed to show how non-belief requires the faith so derided by atheists, it soon derailed and failed to make a case at all.
Kellee
Dec 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Definitely my favorite apologetics book!
Zach
Aug 20, 2013 rated it did not like it
This book probably represents the best case Christian apologetics can make in the twenty-first century. But that's not saying much. Geisler and Turek divide their book into several broad arguments for theism before moving on to the more specific argument that Christianity is the only true religion. These broad arguments include the "cosmological argument," which deals with the beginning of the universe, the "teleological argument," which deals with the design of the universe and of life on earth ...more
Patrik
May 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Whether you believe that there is a God or if you believe that there isn't a God there are a lot of things out there that we believe based on faith. From the beginning of the universe, to the beginning of life, to the historical reliability of historical documents such as Homer's Illiad to Alexander the Great to the Bible. Using scientific methods of induction and logic and making extensive use of proven scientific theory, this book suggests that it takes MORE faith to not believe in the events ...more
Joey
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fam-owns-it
This book was amazing and helped me a ton. Great for anyone who may be dealing with any atheistic friends or someone who is just curious about the scientific reasons atheism and evolution are not true.
Some Christian Lady
Nov 05, 2022 rated it it was amazing
This book was absolutely outstanding and I would give it 10 stars if I could. This is one of the few books that I intend on reading again in the future. Highly recommend!
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
Sep 26, 2014 marked it as not-interested
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!

A book for agnostics! Wait...this isn't a joke? Huh? Yeah, I don't have enough faith to be an atheist, but I sure as hell don't have enough to be a Christian. How can you not have enough faith to be something that doesn't require a lot of faith but do have enough to be the thing that only depends on faith? Huh? You don't have enough faith to not have faith? What? Either say you have faith (awesome, go for it, kudos--wish I
Jacob O'connor
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love that Geisler and Turek put their argument up front. It gives the book a solid structure, and it gets the conversation going. We can get right to the point.

I liked less the tone. They write with an I'm-smarter-than-you vibe that will likely turn off those who most need the information.

Finally, while I understand the snarky reversal intended by the book's title, it may do more harm than good. It plays into mistaken notions of "blind" faith. It misunderstands what faith is and how it's use
Timo
Oct 23, 2012 rated it did not like it
The authors highlight from the start how logical they are in their assesment of the subject. However, their arguments are quite the opposite. For example, on page 43, they write about a conversation with Don:

"Well Don, ... There's the ordinary agnostic who says he doesn't know anything for sure and then there's the ornery agnostic who says he can't know anything for sure"

Then the conversation goes on to prove that thus the agnostic claim is self-defeating. But of course, they have twisted the de
Kristi
Apr 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This book is great when it comes to evidence about the existence of God. I liked it because it provides logic based arguments instead of merely faith based statements..
Winston Jen
May 23, 2013 rated it did not like it
Turek and Geisler clearly have axes to grind against their college professors. Sadly, for all their bluster and apologetics "gotcha" arguments, after trimming away at their premises, all we are really left with are appeals to intuition and ignorance. While inductive reasoning (the byproduct of intuition's usefulness throughout most of human history), close analysis reveals the flaws in these arguments. Similarly, while life may appear to be perfectly designed for their niches, examinations of bi ...more
Elisabeth
Jun 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, religious
I found this book very useful recently when I was writing a paper in my philosophy class on the Cosmological Argument for the Existence of God. I know my high school asked me to keep all the books I read for my Bible class and it was sometimes annoying, but do save them because you never know when they may come in handy. I did really well on the paper.
Matt Long
Aug 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
An excellent introduction to Christian apologetics. This covers the foundations of what Christians believe, why they believe it, and the evidence God has provided us to know that the Bible is His word.
Dave Jones
Jun 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bible
I was channel-surfing one night when I came across Frank Turek's (co-author) I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist. Great show! Great speaker.

An apologetic gem! Messrs. Geisler & Turek walk the reader using an objective, logical basis for the veracity of the Bible, the historicity of biblical events, life's origin, and even the beginning of everything (i.e. the beginning and subsequent development of the Universe.)

While this volume will encourage the believer, it is really written with a
Andy
Oct 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Erin
Nov 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This book is great because by using science, logic, and history it explains why God exists and why Jesus was more than just a person. Over all it states the case for why believing in a higher being requires LESS faith than believing in nothing. I would recommend this book to Christians, people of other religions, those questioning a higher power, and Atheists.
Aug 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book is a must read by anyone regardless of their beliefs. Yes, it is a Christian book but it discusses the proof of God's existience with easy to undersatnd scientific data. ...more
Kris
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A masterful work. While I can see the flaws, I have to give this five stars purely for the amount of work that went into it.

Mini rant about a side point:
While they do draw a distinction between micro and macroevolution, the authors carefully evade the contradictions between the creation account and macroevolution. I still want to find a book that talks about creationism and compares macroevolution against the creation story of the Bible. Geisler and Turek don’t tackle that problem in this book.

B
Austin Pack
I would choose fewer stars if I could. Maybe faith is required to purport the truth of any non-Christian way of viewing the world, but complete and utter intellectual dishonesty is required to present this material. I'm not that intelligent, and I can blow shotgun holes through the arguments presented.

They attempt to prove the validity of a theistic approach, as well as the inerrant Word of God(Bible). Which is what they prove. However, if I attempt to disprove the inerrant Bible, I can do so
Misty Wilson read.fine.print
Jan 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I have a hard time reading non-fiction! I start with the best intentions but I usually fizzle out. I was asked to teach this at church, so you could say I HAD to finish it😊 I’m glad I did. I learned facts that affirm my faith in the Bible. I’ll give you an example:

Do you know anything about the Dead Sea scrolls? They were found in 1947 and scientists have dated them back to at least 100 years before Christ. They contain a segment of every single Old Testament book except Esther, and the entire
Shaun
Nov 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
This book takes a basic approach to defending Christianity as a l/ogical choice. The first portion is geared from a scientific perspective and how the world could not come into existence on its own, which includes discussion of the 2nd law of thermodynamics. Due to there being a creator (the book does not endorse creation science, but more so intelligent design) there must be a God (Jew, Christian, or Muslim). The authors then discuss the possibility of miracles, which must be true based on how ...more
J.D. Boesch
May 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: apologetics
Amazing book. A must-read for any skeptic and anyone who needs ammunition for anti-christian discussions.
Hayden
Feb 28, 2016 rated it did not like it
The arguments in the first half of the book have been around for a while (first cause, argument from design, etc.), and the authors presented these arguments, and the arguments of the "Darwinists" (which they used as an umbrella term and in an almost discriminatory way, lumping everyone, including Nazis, into a single, monolithic, stereotyped group) in a rather simplified, somewhat (read very) condescending manner. But if the book had stopped there, I probably would have given 3 stars anyway.
Ho
Fiver
Jun 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
Good book reviewers should have the stamina to give unbiased reviews of books with opposing ideologies, but this 'Apologetics 101' text is disappointing enough that I feel no guilt in giving it a low rating.
The simple truth is that "I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist" tries to bite off much more than it can chew by attempting to travel literally from the basic laws of logic down to a particular brand of Trinitarian Evangelical Christianity, leaving globbing puddles of naivety in its wake
Chris
Jun 20, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: do-not-recommend
Circular logic, forced admittance to their side being right, no actual reasons, just pages and pages of run on repetition of trying to make the claim that god is mysterious.
I've done the Strobel, the Craig and the D'Souza readings and this was no different. At no point is there any real evidence of anything other than trust god and suspend logic.
At some points it got ridiculous. This writer has had conversations with the late, great Christopher Hitchens and he writes atheists as if we're bumbli

• Stealing from God: Why Atheists Need God to Make Their Case
  • Tactics: A Game Plan for Discussing Your Christian Convictions
  • Live Your Truth (and Other Lies): Exposing Popular Deceptions That Make Us Anxious, Exhausted, and Self-Obsessed
  • Cold-Case Christianity: A Homicide Detective Investigates the Claims of the Gospels
  • Is God a Moral Monster?: Making Sense of the Old Testament God
  • Faithfully Different: Regaining Biblical Clarity in a Secular Culture
  • Person of Interest: Why Jesus Still Matters in a World that Rejects the Bible
  • The Story of Reality: How the World Began, How It Ends, and Everything Important that Happens in Between
  • Another Gospel?: A Lifelong Christian Seeks Truth in Response to Progressive Christianity
  • Mama Bear Apologetics Guide to Sexuality: Empowering Your Kids to Understand and Live Out God’s Design
  • The New Evidence That Demands a Verdict
  • Chasing Love: Sex, Love, and Relationships in a Confused Culture
  • Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus: A Devout Muslim Encounters Christianity
  • On Guard: Defending Your Faith with Reason and Precision
  • The Case for a Creator: A Journalist Investigates Scientific Evidence That Points Toward God
  • Forensic Faith: A Homicide Detective Makes the Case for a More Reasonable, Evidential Christian Faith
  • Unbelievable?: Why after ten years of talking with atheists, I'm still a Christian
See top shelves…
Norman L. Geisler (PhD, Loyola University of Chicago) taught at top evangelical colleges and seminaries for over fifty years and was a distinguished professor of apologetics and theology at Veritas Evangelical Seminary in Murrieta, California. He was the author of nearly eighty books, including the Baker Encyclopedia of Christian Apologetics and Christian Ethics. He and his wife lived in Charlotte ...more

News & Interviews

“Ronald Reagan once quipped, “I’ve noticed all those in favor of abortion are already born.” Indeed, all pro-abortionists would become pro-life immediately if they found themselves back in the womb.” 14 likes
“The author concedes that humanity had the fatal tendency to shape truth to our beliefs rather than beliefs to the Truth.” 9 likes