Start by marking “Atlas Alone (Planetfall, #4)” as Want to Read:
Atlas Alone (Planetfall, #4)

Atlas Alone

(Planetfall #4)

Hugo Award winner Emma Newman returns to the captivating Planetfall universe with a novel about vengeance, and a woman deciding if she can become a murderer to save the future of humanity.

Six months after she left Earth, Dee is struggling to manage her rage toward the people who ordered the nuclear strike that destroyed the world. She's trying to find those responsible, an
Published April 16th 2019 by Ace Books

Win a Copy of This Book

• Atlas Alone by Emma Newman
    Atlas Alone (Planetfall, #4)
    Release date: Apr 16, 2019
    Hugo Award winner Emma Newman returns to the captivating Planetfall universe with a novel about vengeance and the lengths to which one will go to save ...more

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 25 copies available, 531 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Apr 22 - May 06, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Atlas Alone, please sign up.

The Captain
    Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: sci-fi
    Ahoy there mateys!  I received this sci-fi eARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  So here be me honest musings.  While the other three books in the series can be read in any order, this book follows events in after atlas.  While I try to post no spoilers, if ye haven't read that one and keep reading this log then ye have been forewarned and continue at yer own peril . . . .

I read these books in publishing order and I do recommend that a person new to the series do so as well even
    Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
    3.5 Stars - Video Review: https://youtu.be/Cre_bGpFKHw
    Picking up in the aftermath of the previous Planetfall novels, Atlas Alone was particularly dark and rather depressing. At its core, this was a story of revenge and the subsequent fallout of those actions.

All the books in the Planetfall series are loosely connected to each other and are largely considered to be companion novels, rather than direct sequels. However, this fourth novel was much more dependant on the setup of the previous books.
    Chris
    Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: sci-fi
    *copy from Netgalley in exchange for a review*

Atlas Alone is the fourth in Emma Newman’s ‘Planetfall’ series, though (as I can attest) it also works as a standalone novel. There are some callbacks to the earlier works, but while they add additional flavour and context, you can quite happily read this book on its own.
    This is a story which examines big ideas in a futuristic setting. And a story about one person, and the choices which they make, and why. And a story about the near future, and what
    Jacqie
    Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Leseparatist
    Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 2019, earc
    I received the ARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for a review.

I am not quite sure what to say about this novel! I have been enthralled by this series since I read the first volume, and the fourth novel continues to complicate the world and the story - one not only of individuals but humanity in this dystopian near future. This story is satisfactory, fascinating and complex. I cannot wait for its next chapter. The themes of freedom and enslavement, capitalism and religious fundamentalis
    Jypsy
    Feb 17, 2019 marked it as to-read
    Atlas Alone is a kind of cyber techno gamer story. I'm not a gamer, and honestly, I think that put me off the book. It's a good story and well written for the right reader. I couldn't get interested enough to care what happened. For fans of this genre, it's great. Unfortunately, I don't mix well with this story. Thanks to NetGalley for an arc in exchange for an honest review.
    Tammy
    Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I received this book for free from the Publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.The nitty-gritty: A mesmerizing and dangerous thriller where reality and fantasy merge.

Emma Newman’s Planetfall series has been a wild ride, but if I’m reading the ending correctly, that ride isn’t over yet. This is the first book in the series that actually feels like a sequel. The events start a few months after the shocking ending of Aft
    Juli
    Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Atlas Alone is the 4th book in the Planetfall series. The prior three books could be read as standalone novels. Each book told the story of the aftermath of a cult's exodus from Earth from a different perspective. Atlas Alone brings the prior plots full circle, bringing back characters from previous books and making references to events in all of the prior Planetfall novels. This isn't a standalone story a reader can jump into before reading the other books in the series. There are spoilers rega ...more
    Jenn Conwell
    Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Sci-fi, gamers, and star fans alike, this one is for you. This is the latest novel in the Planetfall series, one of which I’m sad to be just learning about. I will say I feel like I would’ve benefited from reading the previous books before this one, but it did not ruin the reading experience for me. Stuck in a virtual reality, Dee is caught having committed a crime and has the most unusual co-conspirator. Just wait until you find out who it really is! This was a really cool and wonderfully adven ...more
    Sarah (CoolCurryBooks)
    Actual rating is probably 3.5 stars. Full review is pending, but I have some negative feelings about the way the protagonist's asexuality was handled.
    Liz Barnsley
    Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I really love the Planetfall series,every one is a pure joy to read and although it is a series they are loosely and randomly connected so you can pick up any one at any point.
    Atlas Alone is a dark, enthralling addition to the list, a tightly claustrophobic mix of mystery, science fiction and character driven drama, once more beautifully imagined and perfectly executed by Emma Newman whose prose is a sheer delight.
    Dee is a complex and engaging character, drawn into a terrifyingly real and emotio
    Laura Hill
    Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I received a complimentary copy of this book from Berkley Publishing Group -- Ace through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own. The book will be published on April 16, 2019.
    Writing: 3/5 Plot: 3.5/5 Characters: 4/5

Elite gamer Dee Whittaker is 43 years old when she finds herself on a ship headed to the outer galaxies on a 20 year trip. She and the other 10,000 people on board are probably all that's left of humanity as a nuclear war was launched by someone on the shi
    Mike
    Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: galley
    3.5 out of 5 stars

Atlas 2 hurtles away from Earth, leaving a broken planet in its rearview mirror. Passenger Dee knows that those responsible for the mass genocide they left behind are on board as well, but who are they and how can she punish them?

Emma Newman’s writing continues to be very smooth and easy to read. She explores Dee’s complex emotional state quite effectively and I was invested in her journey. Her VR-like “mersive” environments were incredibly vivid and fun to read, as well.

The st
    Aristotle
    Apr 22, 2019 rated it liked it
    Twitch Stream

I don't understand today's craze of watching other people play video games. What's fun about that?
    Well this book i'm reading about Dee playing a video game. Well what's fun about that?
    It felt like i was watching a role-playing game (RPG) on Twitch stream.

Earth was destroyed by a thermo nuclear war and a ship carrying 10,000 escaped and is headed for another planet.
    It's a 20 year trip so what else is there to do but play games. While immersed in a RPG Dee killed a NPC who ended up d
    Lucille
    3,75/5
    Read this as an eARC from netgalley

The planetfall series is one of my all time favourite, almost impossible for me to rank Planetfall, After Atlas and Before Mars, but unfortunately Atlas Alone isn't a new favourite.
    I liked the premise and loved the ending but as a whole I'm left a bit disappointed (though I really really want a book 5 so I'll buy a copy to complete my collection)

For the representation, the main character doesn't use the word "asexual" but it's made clear in her words th
    Tellulah Darling
    Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I've loved every book in this series and this one was no exception! The only thing I wasn't totally sold on was the ending, but other than that, it was a great read. I highly recommend this entire series with its fascinating world building, compelling characters, and gorgeous writing!

Thank you to NetGalley and Berkely Publishing Group for an advance reader copy.
    Alexander
    Mar 19, 2019 rated it liked it
    Book one was great, book two less so, book three less than that. I’ve given up on this after only a handful of pages. I’ll give it 3 stars out of fairness to a book I didn’t get into at all.

I’ll not be bothering with the inevitable book 5
    Alice
    Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
    See this review on my blog : https://therealmofbooks.wordpress.com...

Trigger warnings : mention of genocide, murders, death of a parent, re-living childhood trauma, religious cult

I’m a huge fan of Emma Newman and of the Planetfall series especially. After Atlas is probably among my top 5 favorite books of all time and I was expecting Atlas Alone a lot. I’m now super happy because it’s a GREAT addition to the series.

This story is told from the POV of Dee, Carlos’ best friend, from After Atlas. I
    David Harris
    Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I'm grateful to the publisher for a free advance e-copy of Atlas Alone via NetGalley. Quotes are from the advance copy so the final text may differ.

This review contains some spoilers for earlier books in Newman's Planetfall sequence. Especially, if you haven't read After Atlas or Before Mars, stop NOW and read those two books next, then come back.

Atlas Alone is the fourth book in Newman's sequence, and the first that is a direct sequel (to After Atlas). The four share a timeline and take place i
    Matt Williams
    Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    In Story Genius: How to Use Brain Science to Go Beyond Outlining and Write a Riveting Novel, the author asserts that readers wind up simulating the experience of a novel's protagonist. This wasn't a keen new insight to me, since I'm a big fan of Emma Newman's Planetfall series. These are deep and detailed character studies and meditations on mental illness, sneaking past your eyes in a scifi costume, and because of the phenomenon described in Story Genius, reading each title absolutely guts me.

N
    Tsana Dolichva
    Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Atlas Alone by Emma Newman is the latest standalone novel set in the Planetfall universe. In some ways it makes most sense as an almost-direct sequel to After Atlas, but it certainly stands alone just fine. There is a new protagonist, who did appear in After Atlas but whom I have very little memory of from that book. In fact, After Atlas is the book I remember least of the series (not entirely sure why) and despite that I had no problems getting into Atlas Alone. It does contain a pretty major s ...more
    S.J. Higbee
    Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This is one of those atmospheric, twitchy narratives where the main character in first person viewpoint is driven by a sense of wrongness after witnessing a terrible crime. Seeing such horror has taken its toll on her and her two closest friends – Travis and Carl. What now drives her is a desire to discover who was responsible, because she knows they are on the ship.

What Newman excels at is writing difficult characters who don’t immediately appeal. I am aware that if I encountered Dee in real li
    Frank
    Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    fieldtoolarge
    I love Planetfall with the fire of a thousand suns. I own it in paperback, kindle, and audiobook, and have read in all three mediums. I enjoyed both After Atlas and Before Mars very much, but neither really approached Planetfall for me in terms of inspiring passion. Atlas Alone, however, comes close.

The post-democracy world of the Planetfall series is familiar, and by no means unique to Emma Newman. Annalee Newitz's Autonomous and Adam Rakunas's Windswept books explore similar systems of indentu
    Delara
    Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I loved Atlas Alone, as I love all of the Planetfall novels, each for different reasons. For me, this book was a character study, a deep dive into the age-old themes of faith versus fundamentalism, what makes us human, morality, and trust. Dee (Carlos's mersive buddy from After Atlas) has some serious issues with all of these themes, all stemming from her hot-housing years, her brain rewired to achieve a specific purpose. And that leads to the tragic events on board the ship heading to meet the ...more
    Read Ng
    Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
    This was a GoodReads giveaway win of an Advance Reading Copy of the soon to be released book #4 in the Planetfall series. In anticipation of reading this ARC, I quickly read books #1-3 within this last month's time.

These books are really murder mysteries taking place in a future dystopian science fiction world. These books should be read in series order for continuity. Each book focuses on a different main character.

Newman has created a very believable future. It is a joy to experience her worl
    David
    Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Newman has written another wonderful novel in her Planetfall universe, again with broken, damaged people, dealing with life as best they see they can. This book move the plot along as we travel on with Atlas 2, but also is a murder mystery of sorts (actually two, depending how you look at it, no spoilers!). Our look into the thought process of the main character, Dee, is wonderfully written and very scary at times. Very much recommended, but only if you read the rest of the series, in order, fir ...more
    Galen Strickland
    Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Another strong entry in Emma Newman's SF series. The first three were just marginally connected, could be read as stand-alones, even in a different order, but not so with this one. I think you should not read it unless you have already read the second one, After Atlas.

Glenn
    Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Like the rest of the Planetfall series, this was amazing. The fact that it was a direct sequel to After Atlas made it even better, as that book NEEDED a sequel. There has to be more in this series, right?
    Chris
    Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Recommended.

Review posted at Tzer Island book blog:

« previous 1 3 next »
    • Empress of Forever
    • Poor Relations
    • The Ascent to Godhood (Tensorate, #4)
    • Network Effect (The Murderbot Diaries, #5)
    • The Future of Another Timeline
    • The War of the Givens (Silvers, #3)
    • Ancestral Night (White Space, #1)
    • The Light Brigade
    • Moon Rising (Luna #3)
    • The City We Became
    • Terminal Uprising  (Janitors of the Post-Apocalypse, #2)
    • The Hound of Justice (Janet Watson Chronicles #2)
    • Motherland
    • Untitled (The Dandelion Dynasty, #3)
    • This Is How You Lose the Time War
    • Grave Importance (Dr. Greta Helsing, #3)
    • The Diamond Deep (Ruby's Song, #2)
    • Do You Dream of Terra-Two?
    Emma Newman writes dark short stories and science fiction and urban fantasy novels.

'Between Two Thorns', the first book in Emma's Split Worlds urban fantasy series, was shortlisted for the BFS Best Novel and Best Newcomer awards.

Emma's latest book, Planetfall, is a standalone science fiction novel published by Roc.

Emma is a professional audiobook narrator and also co-writes and hosts the Hugo-no

Planetfall (4 books)
    • Planetfall (Planetfall, #1)
    • After Atlas (Planetfall, #2)
    • Before Mars (Planetfall, #3)