Start by marking “Atlas Alone (Planetfall, #4)” as Want to Read:
Atlas Alone (Planetfall, #4)

Atlas Alone

(Planetfall #4)

Hugo Award winner Emma Newman returns to the captivating Planetfall universe with a novel about vengeance, and a woman deciding if she can become a murderer to save the future of humanity.

Six months after she left Earth, Dee is struggling to manage her rage toward the people who ordered the nuclear strike that destroyed the world. She's trying to find those responsible, an
Published April 16th 2019 by Ace Books

To ask other readers questions about Atlas Alone, please sign up.

Bradley
Over and over, I'm confronted with the fact that I'm in love with Emma Newman's writing. She keeps changing tracks with every novel, giving us completely different KINDS of novels while still intersecting them all in not very strange but emotionally impactful ways.

I mean, JEEZE. I could just mention what big thing happens in the other books and let all my gushy bits come out, but that's spoiler territory. What I will mention is my total respect for the way she treats trauma, surreal virtual-real
Justine
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Tense and tightly plotted, this fourth book in the Planetfall series is unputdownable.

Taking place six months after the events of the chronologically concurrent books After Atlas and Before Mars, Atlas Alone is set on the ship heading for the Pathfinder's world. Deanna, who we first encountered in After Atlas, is the POV character this time around.

As usual, Newman demonstrates her peerless mastery of delving the emotions and sense experiences of her characters as Dee is confronted by her past
Kaitlin
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
* I read this as part of the OWLs readathon for the Divination prompt *

This book was one of my most anticipated as Emma Newman is one of my all-time favourite people and authors. She always delivers something I haven't seen before and it's always fresh, vibrant, challenging and fun all rolled together. This latest instalment for the Planetfall series is no exception.

This story can be read as a standalone, but I would highly recommend that you read the previous three before this as I do think tha
Veronique
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5*

It was with trepidation that I started this new novel from Newman, expecting the usual focus on a mental illness combined with a thriller story. The author didn’t disappoint :O)

Atlas Alone is the fourth novel in this universe but the first that felt like a direct sequel, of book 2. The narration, this time shown from the point of view of Dee, meets her six months after the events of After Atlas, where she is finding it hard to adapt to life on the ship. Dee, and indeed Carl, cannot forget th
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2019/06/09/...

So far, I’ve been really enjoying Emma Newman’s Planetfall series, but I have to say this latest one was a bit of a miss for me. At least compared to the last two books, the premise and story of Atlas Alone did not feel quite as captivating to my imagination, which is a shame. After all, I am such a sucker for books with a video game angle, and I had been greatly looking forward to this one’s unique take on immersive gamin
Sarah (CoolCurryBooks)
I ultimately found Atlas Alone to be disappointing. Part of this is that the previous three books have set a high bar, the other part is that I wasn’t happy with the novel’s asexual representation. The majority of this review is devoted to Atlas Alone‘s depiction of asexuality.

Atlas Alone is the fourth novel in Emma Newman’s Planetfall series. Unlike the others, it isn’t really a stand-alone — I highly recommend reading After Atlas first. This review will contain spoilers for After Atlas, so sto
Lyn
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How good is Emma Newman’s Planetfall series? I read them all four back to back over a few weeks. Could not put them down unless it was to pick up the next in the series. Now that I have read the latest, I guess I’ll need to get in line to wait for the fifth.

Atlas Alone takes up where Before Mars left off, but is really more of a direct sequel to After Atlas. (Before Mars was something of a standalone though it referenced the other books, had some of the same characters and was in the same world
The Captain
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
Ahoy there mateys!  I received this sci-fi eARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  So here be me honest musings.  While the other three books in the series can be read in any order, this book follows events in after atlas.  While I try to post no spoilers, if ye haven't read that one and keep reading this log then ye have been forewarned and continue at yer own peril . . . .

I read these books in publishing order and I do recommend that a person new to the series do so as well even
Denise
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were times when I felt like this was a 3 star book at best. I was rarely surprised by the plot twists until the end. As with the other books in this series there are intense psychological issues explored. I think this was not quite as convincing as a portrait of the thinking caused by trauma. Still, I kept with the book (audio with the author reading which I enjoyed) and I can see that the final scene will be crucial to the further story-so 4 stars.
William
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4-Stars

Yes, you should read at least book #2, After Atlas before reading this. And I recommend you read book #1, Planetfall, as well.

A very good continuation of the Planetfall series, and it would have been 5-stars except for the incredibly dull setups to the immersion video game play. I find video games pretty boring, and "reading them" is ten times worse.

The opening is very good, especially after the terribly flawed Before Mars. It's nice to be back with Carl, Trevor and Dee again. This story
Lindsay
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Like the rest of this series, this is a tight and tense examination of a person with some serious mental health issues as they deal with an intense future dystopia. It's also the first direct follow on in the series, continuing the story from the second book, After Atlas, but from the point-of-view of a different character.

Dee, Carlos and Travis are onboard the Atlas 2 with the Circle, the mysterious CSA and many others, but with the knowledge of what happened on Earth when the spaceship left to
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
3.5 Stars - Video Review: https://youtu.be/Cre_bGpFKHw
Picking up in the aftermath of the previous Planetfall novels, Atlas Alone was particularly dark and rather depressing. At its core, this was a story of revenge and the subsequent fallout of those actions.

All the books in the Planetfall series are loosely connected to each other and are largely considered to be companion novels, rather than direct sequels. However, this fourth novel was much more dependant on the setup of the previous books.
Emily
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Some advice - You definitely need to read book 2 before this one. It's been a long time since I had read it and I couldn't find a recap anywhere online, so I checked the book out at the library and read the last 3 chapters. That's all you need to reread - those chapters summarize just about the entire book.

So, once you've done that you can move on to Atlas Alone, which was a pretty good book - although the main character is unlikeable. The reveal of who the person was seemed obvious to me, but t
Jacqie
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Juli
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Atlas Alone is the 4th book in the Planetfall series. The prior three books could be read as standalone novels. Each book told the story of the aftermath of a cult's exodus from Earth from a different perspective. Atlas Alone brings the prior plots full circle, bringing back characters from previous books and making references to events in all of the prior Planetfall novels. This isn't a standalone story a reader can jump into before reading the other books in the series. There are spoilers rega ...more
Tammy
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book for free from the Publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.The nitty-gritty: A mesmerizing and dangerous thriller where reality and fantasy merge.

Emma Newman’s Planetfall series has been a wild ride, but if I’m reading the ending correctly, that ride isn’t over yet. This is the first book in the series that actually feels like a sequel. The events start a few months after the shocking ending of Aft
Chris
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
*copy from Netgalley in exchange for a review*

Atlas Alone is the fourth in Emma Newman’s ‘Planetfall’ series, though (as I can attest) it also works as a standalone novel. There are some callbacks to the earlier works, but while they add additional flavour and context, you can quite happily read this book on its own.
This is a story which examines big ideas in a futuristic setting. And a story about one person, and the choices which they make, and why. And a story about the near future, and what
Maija
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction

I really like Emma Newman's writing style, it's so easy to read and has a nice pace to it, even when she deals with difficult themes such as mental illness. The mystery in this one was great: even though I guessed the identity of the hacker about halfway through the book, that didn't take away my enjoyment, and the plot still had some surprises in store for me.

I really liked this one, but my rating went down because of two things.
1) I don't really know how I feel about that ending (the
Suzanne Rooyen
I'm conflicted on this one. The story mostly takes place in-game so readers who aren't gamers might not find it as interesting or relatable. I also figured out the twist pretty early on so spent a lot of the book waiting and wishing for Dee to figure out something I thought was fairly obvious.

Also, Dee is ace. This excited me at first, but the fact that she is (view spoiler)
Leseparatist
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: earc, 2019
I received the ARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for a review.

I am not quite sure what to say about this novel! I have been enthralled by this series since I read the first volume, and the fourth novel continues to complicate the world and the story - one not only of individuals but humanity in this dystopian near future. This story is satisfactory, fascinating and complex. I cannot wait for its next chapter. The themes of freedom and enslavement, capitalism and religious fundamentalis
Jypsy
Feb 17, 2019 marked it as to-read
Atlas Alone is a kind of cyber techno gamer story. I'm not a gamer, and honestly, I think that put me off the book. It's a good story and well written for the right reader. I couldn't get interested enough to care what happened. For fans of this genre, it's great. Unfortunately, I don't mix well with this story. Thanks to NetGalley for an arc in exchange for an honest review.
Lata
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent entry in Emma Newman's Planetfall series. This time, we follow Deanna, Dee, on board the Atlas as she, Carlos, Travis and others are on their way to God City. Dee is nursing a growing fury against the perpetrators of the horrific situation that ends the previous Atlas story. Dee begins her own investigation into who might have been responsible. She's assisted by some unknown entity on board, and when things go seriously, horribly wrong during what Dee thought was a game/simulat ...more
Laura (crofteereader)
This one was a wild ride. I was a little hesitant to be visiting a character we met in a previous book (even peripherally) because one of my favorite parts of this series so far has been seeing how these characters in totally unique circumstances who have no relation to each other can affect each other so profoundly. There are also some really brilliant Easter eggs scattered around like nods to previous books. But Dee interacts with Carlos (narrator of book 2) and Travis (important narrative dev ...more
Jenn Conwell
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sci-fi, gamers, and star fans alike, this one is for you. This is the latest novel in the Planetfall series, one of which I’m sad to be just learning about. I will say I feel like I would’ve benefited from reading the previous books before this one, but it did not ruin the reading experience for me. Stuck in a virtual reality, Dee is caught having committed a crime and has the most unusual co-conspirator. Just wait until you find out who it really is! This was a really cool and wonderfully adven ...more
Matthew Galloway
Argh! Every one of these books ramps up the tension towards what will happen at the end. We've got all these characters, all these events, these mysteries left from the first book... But each novel is definitely fascinating. I think Dee may have been the most interesting one yet. As per usual, it's hard to say anything with out creating spoilers, but I will say that I loved the interesting parallels between Dee and her contact's mental states and that there were some utterly chilling scenes.
Adam Zabell
What happens when you get the ending you want and there's three more pages in the book? You get this book. This author KNOWS how to twist the knife in her readers, and it's worth it.
Cheryl
May 03, 2019 marked it as x-new  ·  review of another edition
Supposedly these Planetfall books each stand alone. But I've seldom been hooked by a series as firmly as I am by these. And it's not because I absolutely love them, but more because I admire how they're crafted, and, yes, because I want to learn more about this world and these characters.

They are about as hooked together as Becky Chambers's books. *I* strongly recommend reading both 'series' in publishing order. But if you feel compelled to sample at random, that's better than skipping them alt
Liz Barnsley
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really love the Planetfall series,every one is a pure joy to read and although it is a series they are loosely and randomly connected so you can pick up any one at any point.
Atlas Alone is a dark, enthralling addition to the list, a tightly claustrophobic mix of mystery, science fiction and character driven drama, once more beautifully imagined and perfectly executed by Emma Newman whose prose is a sheer delight.
Dee is a complex and engaging character, drawn into a terrifyingly real and emotio
Laura Hill
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a complimentary copy of this book from Berkley Publishing Group -- Ace through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own. The book will be published on April 16, 2019.
Writing: 3/5 Plot: 3.5/5 Characters: 4/5

Elite gamer Dee Whittaker is 43 years old when she finds herself on a ship headed to the outer galaxies on a 20 year trip. She and the other 10,000 people on board are probably all that's left of humanity as a nuclear war was launched by someone on the shi
Lucille
3,75/5
Read this as an eARC from netgalley

The planetfall series is one of my all time favourite, almost impossible for me to rank Planetfall, After Atlas and Before Mars, but unfortunately Atlas Alone isn't a new favourite.
I liked the premise and loved the ending but as a whole I'm left a bit disappointed (though I really really want a book 5 so I'll buy a copy to complete my collection)

For the representation, the main character doesn't use the word "asexual" but it's made clear in her words th
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Empress of Forever
  • Poor Relations
  • The Ascent to Godhood (Tensorate, #4)
  • Network Effect (The Murderbot Diaries, #5)
  • The Future of Another Timeline
  • The War of the Givens (Silvers, #3)
  • Ancestral Night (White Space, #1)
  • The Light Brigade
  • Moon Rising (Luna #3)
  • The City We Became
  • Terminal Uprising  (Janitors of the Post-Apocalypse, #2)
  • The Hound of Justice (The Janet Watson Chronicles, #2)
  • Afterland
  • Untitled (The Dandelion Dynasty, #3)
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • Grave Importance (Dr. Greta Helsing #3)
  • The Diamond Deep (Ruby's Song, #2)
  • Do You Dream of Terra-Two?
Emma Newman writes dark short stories and science fiction and urban fantasy novels.

'Between Two Thorns', the first book in Emma's Split Worlds urban fantasy series, was shortlisted for the BFS Best Novel and Best Newcomer awards.

Emma's latest book, Planetfall, is a standalone science fiction novel published by Roc.

Emma is a professional audiobook narrator and also co-writes and hosts the Hugo-no

Planetfall (4 books)
  • Planetfall (Planetfall, #1)
  • After Atlas (Planetfall, #2)
  • Before Mars (Planetfall, #3)
“As one of our neighbors put it back then: the English never riot in winter.” 0 likes
“He’d looked so hurt. “I’m not like those other men, you know?” “Then you won’t mind if I say no,” I said.” 0 likes