Start by marking “Murder Served Cold (Much Winchmoor Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Murder Served Cold (Much Winchmoor Mystery, #1)

Murder Served Cold

(Much Winchmoor Mystery #1)

A quiet English village where nothing ever happens. Until…

After her boyfriend runs out on her with the contents of their joint bank account, Kat Latcham has no choice but to return to the tiny Somerset village of Much Winchmoor, where she grew up. A place, she reckons, that is not so much sleepy as comatose, and she longs for something exciting to happen to lessen the bo
Published October 19th 2018 by Crooked Cat Books

To ask other readers questions about Murder Served Cold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder Served Cold

Start your review of Murder Served Cold (Much Winchmoor Mystery, #1)
Berit☀️✨
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a charming cozy mystery with a sprinkling of romance... I really love these books about small English villages, and I cannot figure out why everyone wants to leave... perhaps it is the fact that everybody knows everybody, or that everybody knows everybody else’s business? Or maybe it is the fact that people are constantly getting murdered??? This is the first book in what looks like is going to be a fabulous series!

Kat has returned home after a bit of a bump in her love life... not thri
Dash fan
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
4☆ A Fab New Cosy Crime Mystery with a good dash of romance and wit!

Murder Served Cold is the first book in a new cosy crime series, mixed with a a dash of romance.

I'm not going to discuss the plot as the blurb does a fabulous job giving you all the enticing details you need to pick up this exciting book.

The plot is compelling, has drama, gossip, mystery, secrets and intrigue, with a good dash of romance, wit and humour.
Everything you want from a cosy mystery.

It's very much a who done it type o
DJ Sakata
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
My Rating:

4.5

Favorite Quotes:

If spreading gossip was an Olympic sport, Elsie Flintlock would be a quadruple gold medallist. They had no need of super-fast broadband in this village. Elsie and her cronies were quicker than the speed of light.

Take your time, sweetheart… You don’t have to sample all the chocolates in the box to find the one that’s right for you. He’ll come along soon enough.

… that’s a pretty top you’re almost wearing. What was it before? A handkerchief?

Eddie says living with me at
Val Penny
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I chose Murder Served Cold when I was brousing Amazon because I just loved the title! This is the debut cosy crime novel written by Paula Williams and published by Crooked Cat Books. The story is set in the little village of Much Winchmoor.

Kat Latcham returns home after a disasterous love affair goes wrong.
She hopes something exciting will happen to lessen the boredom of living with her parents and working in her mother’s hairdressers and the local pub.

Something certainly does happen. She and
Chitra Iyer
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
You know the kind of books that make you want to sit up all night and finish it and when you look up it is always, eerily, midnight? Murder Served Cold by Paula Williams is exactly the kind! There are very few books that I would trade my precious sleep for but this one just didn’t leave my hands! I had to know, you see, the who and the why of the crime. Sleep, yes, I do love it but not everyday you come across a book that you can get inside your blanket and have some me-time with.

So, without ram
Els
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a cosy mystery the way I like them. A small village filled with busybodies where gossip in on the daily menu. Suddenly a murder happens and of course they are all convinced they know the killer. But not everyting is what it seems. Will Kat find out the truth?

I love Kat. Although she lived in the city for a while, she is very innocent and naive. She truely believes that everybody is honest and that makes her an easy victim for being used. But she is also very persistent, stubborn and she
Christie72
Murder Served Cold is the first book in a series that promises to be fantastic!!!!

Kat has had to return home to her small village of Much Winchmoor after leaving her cheating ex, losing her job, and her home. This wasn’t something she wanted to do, but it was a necessity. She is hoping she won’t be here for long. The town is full of gossips, and Kat will also discover it’s a town full of secrets and a murder or two. She and her childhood friend, Will, discover a body. Not long after, his father
Cara Ross
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Murder Served Cold is the first book in the Much Winchmoor Murder series and I bloody loved it! And while I rarely review murder mysteries here, I do love a good Marple or Midsomer Murders, and this book fits in perfectly!

Katie (Kat) had return home after… well to put a none to finer point on it, was screwed over by her cheating rat faced ex, who needs to be tar and feathered! But in the process of restarting her life in “Nothing”- Much Winchmoor, and trying to make it up to her best mate Will,
Isabella May
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Quintessential cosy crime!

As someone who was born and bred in Somerset, I loved the author's on point wit and observation, all cleverly woven into an enjoyable countryside mystery. The characters are so life-like, the banter so funny. Throw in a couple of red herrings and you have a really page-turning story!
Audrey
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not much happens in the sleepy village of Much Winchmoor. The occasional pub lock-in, blue rinses at the local hair salon, and petty squabbles about day to day life. Until everything changes, when an incomer (someone with less than twenty years under their belt) is found in a rather dead state.
I loved this book, with its quirky humour, cast of delightful (and dubious) characters and its pithy one-liners. At its centre is the disillusioned Katie (Kat) whose initial ennui turns to gritty determina
Megan
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very enjoyable cosy mystery that kept me guessing until the end!

Murder Served Cold is the story of Kat (or Katie as she is known around her hometown) who has returned to live with her parents after a series of events outside her control. Unemployed, she is helping out in her mum's home-based business and taking on some bar work. When trying to mend fences with a childhood friend, she is drawn into a murder investigation and is desperate to find the killer to avoid the wrong man being charged.

T
Jessica Belmont
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Murder Served Cold is a fabulous start to a mystery series I am looking forward to reading throuh.

Paula Williams built up a wonderful backstory, and by doing this, she created many suspects, keeping me guessing from the beginning until the reveal. I absolutely loved the plot of this cozy mystery, and I love when mysteries keep you guessing. While I was able to come up with theories, I was surprised in the end, and I think that is a testament to fantastic writing.

I love the main character, Kat. S
Donna Maguire

I loved this story and I thought Kat was fab character!

The plot is excellent, very well paced and the author has a great flow with the story that made it a book that was hard to put down! I was completely wrapped up in the story and read it in bed one evening, staying up to finish it.

I thought that the story was well planned out and I loved that it was not just a crime thriller or murder mystery, I also got a witty story in places that made me giggle at ti
Joan Livingston
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After her lousy boyfriend dumps her and cleans out their bank account, Kat Latcham has no choice but to move back home, not a fun prospect for this millennial. But with a murder happening soon after she arrives, the village of Much Winchmoor turns out not to be so boring after all — especially since she not only finds the body but knows the man who is the chief suspect. From working in her mother’s hair salon to tending bar to trying to prove a close friends’ father is innocent, Kat handles this ...more
Kath Middleton
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a murder mystery told by Katie (call me Kat), newly returned to her home village. It positively sparkles with gems of village life and I swear I know some of the characters. There are numerous dodgy goings-on and lots of people have the motive to get rid of the village trouble maker. It’s a very accessible, readable and humour-filled story and I enjoyed it immensely.
Katharine Johnson
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A thoroughly enjoyable cozy crime story in a Somerset village, peopled with larger than life characters and a warm, funny, likeable amateur sleuth, Katie (Kat) Latcham. There's a bit of romance, plenty of humour and some twists and turns along the way. I'll be looking out for Kat's next adventure
Rosie Travers
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great story from Paula Williams, a typical English village rocked by murder, told with plenty of wit and charm. I enjoyed watching the relationship between amateur sleuth Kat, reluctantly forced back home to live with her parents, and Will, her old school friend, develop and there is a great cast of supporting characters. Look forward to reading the next in the series!
Bena Roberts
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Murder Served Cold
by Paula Williams

Do you love a good British detective story?

The Good
This was a cozy wonderful mystery that had me intrigued and laughing. The change from the dead body to more police than Glastonbury - was classic.
If you love Agatha Christie, Rosemary and Thyme and those sorts of books/TV then you will enjoy this. Kat is a funky modern day nosey detective.

The Bad
This is a well-written mystery and I loved the way the bad killer got all cocky with his own POV in the middle.

The Ug
Lis Carey
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, fiction, mystery
Kat Latcham was working at a radio station in Bristol, sharing a nice flat with friend, and dating a handsome guy.

Then the falling economy cost her the job at the radio station, her boyfriend took off with her flatmate, and they even took her car and her treasured memorabilia.

She's now back in the little village of Much Winchmoor, living with her parents, working in her mother's beauty salon, and listening to the local gossip--which is currently mostly about her failed love life.

Then one of the
Caroline Venables
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved this book.  For the first in a series, the author has successfully managed to create a village with recognisable characters.
The story follows Katie, or Kat as she prefers to be known and her return to the village of Much Winchmoor, where she grew up.  She is furious at having to come back to live with her parents, and the fact that the whole village seems to know that her partner has left her.
Whilst catching up her best friend Will, they find the body of the local misery dead, in Will’s
Paula Corregan
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good book!

This mystery was fun to read, had a good plot and memorable characters as well as a touch of romance. I highly recommend it to other mystery readers and look forward to reading more books in the series.
Heidi Catherine
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A terrific page-turning story. Great characters and an intriguing mystery, but it was the writing style that drew me straight in and held my attention. The hopeless romantic in me really enjoyed the ending too!
Cheryl Landmark
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review to come soon.
Lexie Conyngham
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
A new author for me and a good one – murder with a bit of romance and a decent plot.
Robert Crouch
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the wit, humour and characters in this cosy mystery, where the village busybody is murdered and dumped in a chest freezer. As she has upset so many people, the suspects include most of the village, though several characters do their best to jump to the front of the queue.

The story is told by Kat Latcham, who’s returned to Much Winchmoor after a disastrous relationship. When an old friend’s father becomes the prime suspect, she refuses to accept this and vows to unearth the real killer.
Miriam Drori
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with cosy mysteries long ago when I discovered Agatha Christie. This novel is just as crisp, with just as much wit, but the humour is more contemporary. I loved it and hope I soon find time to read Paula Williams' next mystery.
Gill Clark
sancheeta
Mar 17, 2019
Susan
May 02, 2020

• Mystery on Hidden Lane (Eve Mallow Mystery #1)
  • The Suspects
  • The Lantern Men (Ruth Galloway, #12)
  • The Greek Island Killer (DI Jack Dawes Series #1)
  • Mystery at Apple Tree Cottage (Eve Mallow Mystery #2)
  • Homicide in Herne Hill
  • Murder on the Marshes (Tara Thorpe Mystery, #1)
  • Death on the River (Tara Thorpe Mystery #2)
  • Hunter's Revenge (The Edinburgh Crime Mysteries #2)
  • The Lavender Lady
  • Hubris (DI Munro & DS West #11)
  • The Vicarage Murder (Monica Noble, #1)
  • Hillary's Back! (DI Hillary Greene, #18)
  • The Bluebell Killer (DI Jack Dawes Series #2)
  • Murder by the Minster (Kitt Hartley Yorkshire Mysteries, #1)
  • Red Light in the Pyrenees (Death in the Pyrenees #3)
  • Portrait of a Dead Guy (A Cherry Tucker Mystery, #1)
  • Birds of a Feather (Feathers and Felonies #1)
Paula Williams has been writing since she was old enough to hold a pencil but she's been making up stories since she was old enough to speak, although her early attempts were more of the "It wasn't me, Mum, honest. It was him" genre.

Her first 'serious' effort was a pageant she wrote at the age of nine to celebrate St George's Day. Not only was she the writer, but producer, set designer and casting

Much Winchmoor Mystery (3 books)
  • Rough and Deadly (Much Winchmoor Mystery, #2)
  • Burying Bad News (Much Winchmoor Mysteries Book 3)