Start by marking “The Communing Tree” as Want to Read:
The Communing Tree

The Communing Tree

It is 1979 and sixteen-year-old Judith's survivalist father has never been so relaxed and cheerful since he returned from Vietnam with a debilitating case of PTSD. The eight years he and his family have spent hidden deep in the Kalmiopsis wilderness of Oregon have been good for him. Unfortunately none of them have any idea that disaster is about to strike. While camping ...more
Published July 27th 2018 by iUniverse

To ask other readers questions about The Communing Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Communing Tree

Start your review of The Communing Tree
WordGirl
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what a great story! This is a story of female empowerment and independence, loss and strength, overcoming and persevering, facing and overcoming fears. You will be rooting for the two main characters throughout this book. It also provides a terrific glimpse into the rare and beautiful southwestern forests of Oregon, which still have some remote terrain. If you have ever wondered what it would be like to escape from civilization or live on your own, you'll experience that way of life through ...more
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Super well researched! A coming-of-age story about a teen girl who, through sad circumstances, finds herself living in the wilderness, caring for her little sister, hidden from the rest of the world. Great YA read, adults who like wilderness survival stories will also enjoy this book.
John Wozniak
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book all the way through, with caveats. It was especially relevant to those who remember or experienced life after Viet Nam, which I did. A negative for me was being written in first person. Also, the Prologue was so dramatic it made the vivid scene writing seem slow. I'd rate it PG-13, close to R, for elements typical of that era (marijuana, murder, and a singular f-bomb). But if you can handle that, I'd recommend it.
Lynee
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So, I was out to coffee after church with some members of the choir, when one of the members/coffee drinkers was introduced as an author. And boy, do I love reading new books by local authors! So I bought one on the spot and commenced to read.

This book starts out with a literal bang, and keeps going. Reading about a survivalist family in the 1970s-1980s after the Vietnam War was quite interesting from a historical viewpoint, though sometimes quite grim. There were a lot of "Little House on the
Amy
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Communing Tree takes place in 1979 when survivalism was really picking up steam. I was a teenager growing up in Niagara, Oregon back then. I remember how my Dad had my brothers help him bury a great big metal container full of food in our woodshed. Vietnam was almost always the topic around our dinner table and two of my brother's draft numbers were close to being called. I'm still relieved that they didn't have to go.

This YA wilderness survival story is told by Judith, a young girl whose
Peggy Brown
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written, engaging, surprising, never a dull moment.

The Communing tree started off with a shock and a hook that never let go. Hard to put down, but so fascinating and unusual, I savored it for three whole days. Also great for military vets, survivalists and anyone who loves the great outdoors.
Laura Matson
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I picked up this book at the Book Fair at the Washington State History Museum which means I have a signed copy! Will be passing this on to friends and fAmily ask a great story - but will want to keep this ones on my shelf. Great first book from this author!
Ellie Armstrong