Start by marking “Marchers of Valhalla” as Want to Read:
Marchers of Valhalla

Marchers of Valhalla

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  123 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Edition includes 'The Grey God Passes.' Illustrated by Marcus Boas.
Published December 31st 1990 by Donald M. Grant Publishers (first published January 1st 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Marchers of Valhalla, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marchers of Valhalla

Jason
Apr 07, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: REH fans; fantasy fans; Viking fiction fans
I remember seeing an advertisement for a stand-alone copy of Marchers of Valhalla, even though it’s not long enough to be a novel. The image was a striking depiction of Viking warriors marching against a blowing wind in what appeared to be a desert (or the American Midwest).
I only own one copy of the story, in the Baen collection Eons of the Night. I don’t know how “true” it is, since the Baen books were known for using less-than-pure REH.
Years ago, I think around 2002 or 2003, I began reading t
Timothy Boyd
Jan 23, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Robert E. Howard is my all time favorite writer, but for many years much of his work was heavily edited. This is another of the heavily edited collections of Robert E. Howard's stories. I am a purist when it comes to a writers works. I know some of these stories are no longer PC but they should be read as Howard wrote them and understood that he wrote in another time period. Don't read this book unless you just can't find any others of Howard's unedited books to read. Message me if you need a li ...more
Jack Dunne
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
REH, one of the greatest writers of all time, possessing an ability to write heroic fantasy with a poetic style never to be matched again. The title story features James Allison, one of his harder to find, but most memorable characters who can recall his past lives.
If you can find 'The Valley of the Worm' and 'The Garden of Fear' read them after reading this book.

'Thunder Rider' is also in here, which is a similar theme and one of his best.
Highly Recommended Stuff.
Also, check out Jack London
Andrew
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I'm giving these only two stars as I have read better examples of Howard's short story writing..a lot of the tales in this failed to grip me which was a shame as generally I like Howard's stuff and find it a enjoyable light diversion before reading something else.
It's maybe a sign then that such a short book took me about a week to read...of gripped I think I would have dispatched this to the read pile in maybe two days.
The book melds historical points with supernatural elements whether it be an
John somers
A short story collection by the writer of Conan. I really enjoyed The Thunder-Rider, Marchers of Valhalla and the Grey God Passes (Howards telling of the battle of Clontarf). I didn't think much of A Thunder of Trumpets and the faring town stories Sea Curse & Out of the Deep were only okay but For the Love of Barbara Allen was quite interesting and the the final story The Valley of the Lost is cool as it is a H.P Lovecraft type story set during a feud in the old west. Overall highly recommen ...more
Ronald
Dec 16, 2013
Kenneth
Feb 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Robert Ervin Howard was an American pulp writer of fantasy, horror, historical adventure, boxing, western, and detective fiction. Howard wrote "over three-hundred stories and seven-hundred poems of raw power and unbridled emotion" and is especially noted for his memorable depictions of "a sombre universe of swashbuckling adventure and darkling horror."

He is well known for having created — in the p
More about Robert E. Howard...