Start by marking “Last Things” as Want to Read:
Last Things

Last Things

When strange things start happening to local music idol Anders Thorson, everyone blames his number-one-fan, Thea. But is she out to hurt him? Or protect him?

Published May 7th 2019 by Greenwillow

To ask other readers questions about Last Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Things

megs_bookrack
**3.5-stars rounded up**

Anders Thorson is a rock god. Okay, not really a rock god. He's actually a high school kid but he is front-man of a band, Last Things, and they do have a regular gig at a coffee shop in their Northern Minnesota town.

Thea Malcolm is the new girl in town but has quickly become Anders number one fan. She shows up every where he goes, never approaching, just quietly lurking in the background.

When bad things begin to happen to Anders and those closest to him, the first suspect
Carrie
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss
Review coming soon.
✩ Ashley ✩
First: who else is getting Stranger Things vibes from this?! *Yessss*

Second: if that wasn’t enough, it takes place in northern Minnesota! Uff-da, it better live up to my now FREAKISHLY HIGH expectations!! 😂
Astrid - The Bookish Sweet Tooth

LENGTH:
RATING: 4.5 Stars
CLIFFHANGER:No

READ MY REVIEW ON THE BLOG

LAST THINGS was a total surprise and I didn't expect it to love it as much as I did. It is told in dual POV and the author lets you get closer to the characters only in baby steps and it isn't clear until the last third of the story what we are dealing with here. The enemy and the main characters are kept in mystery w
Christie«SHBBblogger»

Title: Last Things
Series: Standalone
Author: Jacqueline West
Release date: May 7, 2019
Cliffhanger: No
Genre: YA fantasy

Jacqueline West explains in the author's note that this story is inspired by the legend of blues singer Robert Johnson, the man who's told to have sold his soul to the devil for his musical talent. She gives it her own metal band spin with a high schooler who has rocketed to fame in a small town in Minnesota. I'm not a metal fan, but those who are will find a lot of references in
Jacqueline West
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
A biased review, I admit -- but this is honestly my favorite book I've ever written, and I'm thrilled that it will be heading out into the real world very soon. Thanks, readers.
Amy
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this book! It gave me the same creepy feelings as when I read The Hazel Wood. I loved the character development, the superb writing, and the focus on music. I do wish the cover better portrayed the sophisticated writing and storytelling--it looks too cartoon-ish and doesn't match the tone of the story. Regardless, Jacqueline West's writing is so compelling. I don't know about you, but so much of why I love a book is how immersed I feel while reading. Let me say, I was on cruise ship whil ...more
Nia •ShadesOfPaper•
“Each note is a scream
The drone is deafening
Beat beat beat
Until the truth is beaten.”

I thought the premise of this book sounded absolutely brilliant and I went into it with such high expectations, and I was so let down by it, unfortunately, because even though the concept sounded incredible and like something that I would love, the execution of the book was quite underwhelming.

It took me a while to get used to the writing style that was in Last Things, because descriptions are kind of off so
Diana
Nov 05, 2018 added it
Shelves: discarded-shelf
The premise of the book seemed really captivating, but when I began reading I couldn't help but find Thea was a bit stalker-ish and a lot creepy. I know the author wanted to unveil her mistery bit by bit, but I don't know, all it conveyed to me was an obssession with the main male character, Anders.
While the writting isn't bad, I have to say that ythe characters lacked depth for me, and all of them were quite archetypical: hot guys who is famous but who struggles, awkward girl with powers there
Ann N.
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was excellent! West’s descriptions are so vivid that I will be walking around with her settings (especially the woods!) and characters in my head for weeks now. Set aside some time to read this one without interruptions. The entire story is absorbing and suspenseful, but once you hit the last 100 pages you won’t be able to set the book down.
Jessica
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay friends, this book was a ride! Let's start with that, because I'm still trying to put together all my thoughts into a coherent review and that's forefront on my mind. It's always a breath of fresh air to read something outside the lines, to read something that is atmospheric and intriguing. That's this book, perfectly described. Last Things is what I've been waiting for, and it was a darn good way to start the month.

Let's talk characters. Anders Thorson is now one of my favorite male charac
Matt Pavloff
Feb 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Last Things is a Faustian tale told in through two perspectives. Anders is a local rock legend. Only 18 years old, he's already garnered nationwide attention for his incredible skill on the guitar, songwriting prowess, and perfect voice for the metal scene. But Anders' gift wasn't earned--it was given. And now he's seeing that this gift comes with a heavy price. We also have Thea, a mysterious newcomer in town who seems like the newest obsessed fan--but she's much, much more. Her goal is to save ...more
Olivia Farr
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: yabc-reviews
Find my full review here: http://www.yabookscentral.com/yaficti...

LAST THINGS is a YA fantasy that follows two teens, Anders and Thea, in alternating points-of-view. Anders is the vocalist, guitarist, and songwriter for the metal band, Last Things, which also includes his BFFs Patrick and Jezz. Anders’s talent is world-class, bigger than the small town where he lives and plays. Together (but mostly with Anders’s feelings), they decided not to make any money from their playing until after they gr
Linda
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Edge. of. my. seat. Flipping pages until 2am. This story simply hummed!
Everything about it was electrifying. I loved the metal song lyrics. I loved the progression, the way that it unfolded. The characters, the dawning, the realization.
Even if you don't like mysteries, or if you don't like metal music, you will still want to read this.
It's not a mystery, per se. It is simply a story of a boy. He's got some skills, shall we say. He may have made a mistake. Everything is not as it seems, and neit
Alex Pippenger
May 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Stacy Fetters
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
”But when you’re empty inside, dark things will find a place inside of you."

What would you give up to have everything you have ever dreamed of?

Anders wanted fame, fortune, and to be a guitar master. One day, he got exactly what he asked for but it came with a dire price.

Last Things has potential to be one of the largest bands in the world. All of their shows bring people into this small coffee bar that’s located near the woods and people come from all over to see Anders.

Thea sits in that coff
Kris
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I got a really creepy vibe from this book, but also found it very fun to read. I liked the supernatural elements throughout the book, I thought it brought a lot of different aspects to the story. I also enjoyed the inclusion of a lot of the lyrics from the songs they were singing at the Crow’s Nest.

The story is told in alternating perspectives, one being Anders who is the lead singer of the band Last Things, the other being the new girl in town, Thea. Anders is the typical brooding musician at t
Michael
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got offered an ARC without even knowing what title it would be. This book showed up a couple weeks ago.

It sounded interesting and is out soon, so I plopped down with it about 2 1/2 hours ago. I couldn't put it down, as it teases the reader perfectly with the mystery behind the male protagonist Anders and him being a music prodigy leading a metal band.Then there is Thea, who is super intriguing and has her own interesting past.

Jacqueline West describes since with the right amount of detail th
Roxanne
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
I received this Arc from Greenwillow press. Thank you for a copy in exchange for a fair review.

Thea seems obsessed with Anders, she goes to every show and she follows him after every show. No one really knows who she except that she is related to the crazy lady on the woods. But Thea knows that there were dark things in the woods and only she can save him. Or can she?

Andrea doesn't even think of his stalker, he just wants to play music. He will do anything to be a star. Or would he?

I have to be
gelowmichael
This was a surprise because I liked it a lot.

I kinda felt a Dark Placesvibe because of the theme it tackles and the whole drive of this novel. I really liked the characters especially Thea and Anders. I thought this would be another cliche YA because it is kinda YA within 40% of the book but creepy at its best till the end.

I am surprised by what the author intends for Thea's character. I never thought that major twist. I kinda felt a Stephen King twist at the end but it is not.

Last Things was
♠️ TABI ♠️
I smell faeries
Jen
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It got 2 stars soley because i managed to not dnf'd it. This book could have been good. It was stranger things meets some extremely bizarre indie flick.
Im having a hard time understanding how i just read a book by a ny times best seller.
The book overall was a rip off of the movie Jennifer's body. A band becomes famous because of a deal they make with the devil.
I cant even talk much more about this book without giving spoilers because not much is explained throughtout 3/4 of it and not much ha
Karyn Silverman
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, ya, 2019-reads
Just my speed. Very anxiety producing. Comp this to The Replacement or The Accident Season but with heavy metal. Two thumbs up.
Rachel Foley
May 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Vicki
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a reader, I'm a tough one to please, as I recognize and appreciate good writing but a growing problem with focus prevents my burrowing in with a book, as I used to do, for hours on end. So I began "Last Things" by nibbling but a half dozen chapters in found myself unable to take a break. West's story really pulled me in, particularly her clever and natural dialogue -- often the teasing banter of teenagers -- and her principal characters, each deserving of empathy. Anders and Thea, who pass th ...more
Ryan
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing. The perfect blend of frightening and musical. Jacqueline's poetry background shines in the lyrics, and her real-world metal band inspirations are evident in the band she's created. It's a love letter to the North Woods, as well as to off beat metal clubs and the kids in that scene.
Ali McTavish
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it

Hello My Book Loves! I received a copy of Last Things by Jacqueline West from Harper Teen Canada in exchange for an honest review.

What would you be willing to sacrifice for what you want? This book explores this this theme throughout. It is mysterious, a little dark, and little creepy. I read it in just about one sitting. It's a pretty quick easy read and thoroughly enjoyable.

What I Liked

Anders - I thought that Anders was a really good main character. He's a teenage musical prodigy, his band

Elizabeth Mathis
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it

High school senior Anders Thorson is unusually gifted. His band, Last Things, is legendary in their northern Minnesota hometown. With guitar skills that would amaze even if he weren’t only eighteen, Anders is the focus of head-turning admiration. And Thea Malcom, a newcomer to the insular town, is one of his admirers. Thea seems to turn up
Laurie
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Interest Level: YA

Imagine you are small town famous rock star and you are still in high school. Imagine that you know you and your group will be famous one day soon. Now imagine that all of this talent and fame was unintentionally given to you by an evil that you can't see and don't even understand. Anders Thorson is the lead singer and guitar player for a rock band, Last Things. He plays the guitar like no eighteen year old should be able to play, and song lyrics and music just come to him. How
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
LAST THINGS is a dark and twisted tale with a constant undertone of danger. It's like a mix of contemporary YA and fae, but where the fae hide in the shadows. But they're not fae and either is the girl who watches and protects. An overall riveting story.

This story had a very small-town secrets kind of feel to it except that most in the town are completely oblivious to the darkness that hides in the shadows. I found the characters easy to relate to. They have their strengths, weaknesses, struggle
« previous 1 3 next »

• Sorry For Your Loss
  • The Tenth Girl
  • Roam
  • Swipe Right for Murder
  • The Other Side of the Sky (Untitled, #1)
  • Other Words for Smoke
  • Missing, Presumed Dead
  • Through the White Wood
  • Dreaming Darkly
  • Destroy All Monsters
  • The Wise and the Wicked
  • Sisters of Shadow and Light (Sisters of Shadow and Light, #1)
  • Malice
  • Last Bus to Everland
  • When the Stars Threw Down Their Spears (The Goblin Wars, #3)
  • A Court of Miracles (A Court of Miracles, #1)
  • Beyond the Black Door
  • The Last 8 (The Last 8, #1)