Start by marking “The Wallflower Wager (Girl Meets Duke, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Wallflower Wager (Girl Meets Duke, #3)

The Wallflower Wager

(Girl Meets Duke #3)

They call him the Duke of Ruin.

To an undaunted wallflower, he's just the beast next door.

Wealthy and ruthless, Gabriel Duke clawed his way from the lowliest slums to the pinnacle of high society—and now he wants to get even.

Loyal and passionate, Lady Penelope Campion never met a lost or wounded creature she wouldn’t take into her home and her heart.

When her imposing—and
Published August 13th 2019 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about The Wallflower Wager, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wallflower Wager

Anovelqueen
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: d
***4.5*** STARS

Tessa Dare has proven once again why she is one of the BEST historical romance writers of all time....consistency. I cannot say a bad thing about any of her books and this one ranks top too.

Lady Penelope loves animals...specifically wounded and abandoned animals. Her love of animals leads her into a rather sexy introduction to our hero Gabriel Duke. Gabriel has dragged himself from the gutters of London and he has become what we would consider today a real estate mogul. But he als
Sara Reads (mostly) LOTS of Romance
Another Tessa Dare novel? ABOUT AN ECCENTRIC SPINSTER ANIMAL LOVER WITH A HOT GRUMPY ENGLISH PEER WE HAVE SEEN AGAIN AND AGAIN IN ALL OF HER BOOKS WHO DOESN'T HAVE A JOB BUT HAS ABS AND IS GREAT AT SEX???

COUNT ME THE FUCK IN BABY

OH MY GOooOOOoOD THAT COVER. FUC ME COVER. OH LORDY THATS A BEAUT COVER HOLY SHITE GAH I JUST WANT A MAN TO LOOK AT ME SWEETLY N DO THAT WITH ME
LITERALLY CRYING RN K BYE

^^me looking at dat cover while im single in the lib procrastinating on my essay wearing an oversized
Diem
Aug 28, 2018 marked it as to-read
'Lady Penelope Campion has a heart for wild and wounded creatures … but this Duke won’t be tamed.' (found on Tessa Dare's website)

*cackles for 5 minutes straight*
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
❤5 STARS❤

I'm so in love with The Wallflower Wager, this is the best!I fall in love with everything and esecially the characters!I couldn't get enough of them.I laughed,I swooned and I melted with these two.Tessa Dare delivers a sweet,heartwarming and steamy romance!

description

Penny and Gabe are my favorite couple.I love their banter, they have an amazing chemistry.I laughed a lot with these two.Their dialogues were fun,entairten and sweet.There were some really hot and intense moments too to make you swoon
Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐5 STARS ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
I'm now looking at craiglist for possible parrots rescues, lol!

GAH! I couldn't love this book more!
This was such a real treat to read, delightful in every respect.
The Wallflower’s Wager was incredibly hilarious, charming and hot, SO, so hot! I’m talking positively scalding steam here!
If you’re looking for a pick-me-up, call off the search, this is the book you’ve been looking for! YES, YES, OOH! YES!

A neighbors to lovers/ pauper and the princess trope / beast and the wallflow
Claire Robinson
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shit-hot-series, m-b
4 - "You've met your match..." Stars!

The third book in the Girl Meets Duke series finally gives us animal lover; Lady Penelope Campion’s story. Paired up with the Duke of Ruin as Gabriel Duke is known behind his back, this self-made man is not one to be welcomed into polite society eagerly, especially as he as made most of his fortune from bringing down nobles who have fallen on hard times.

"You are anything but calming…"

"You’re not particularly cuddly yourself."

Filled with all the banter, one li
Nicola
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Having loved the first two books in Tessa Dare’s Girl Meets Duke series, I couldn’t wait to dive into this and see what delights lay in store for the group’s very own Dr. Dolittle, Penny.

description They called him the Duke of Ruin.”

With a rags to riches background and bit of a reputation to go with it, Gabriel Duke isn’t exactly Mr. Popular and he and Penny waste no time in bringing us witty repartee and chemistry as they grow closer whilst wrangling Penny’s menagerie of pets, who themselves create plent
Angie
"No one can be reduced to numbers in a ledger, or a stack of banknotes, or a single silver coin. We are humans, with souls and hearts and passion and love. Every last one of us is priceless. Even you." --Penny

As expected, Tessa Dare has once again written a novel that is capable of speaking to so many people on many different levels. I myself was able to relate to Penny on such a base level as I see so much of myself in her--our shared love of animals, our continued optimism and hope in the fac
Esther
ARC provided by Edelweiss and Publisher in exchange for an honest review.

I'm the odd one here with my three star rating, but I just had some issues with this storyline and characters. In my humble opinion this Historical romances had that "contemporary feel" that seems to be fairly prevalent in HR.

Review to come closer to publication.
Alba and Her Secrets..♥
5 'My beast in shinning armor' Stars!
ARC provided by the author/publisher via Edelweiss+.

And Tessa Dare does it again, people! I am completely in love with this series and this new novel is absolutely no exception! Of course, since I adored the other two books, I had high expectations for this one and I was not disappointed. I mean, who does not get curious when you read words like “Duke of Ruin”? I did not even need to start the novel to want to dive right in the whole thing. I literally devour
Lubnaa (Romance Library)

I received an ARC from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

The Wallflower Wager is the third book in Tessa Dare's wonderful Girl Meets Duke series. Not only does this book have one of the best meet cutes of all time, but it also has the best final line ever. I'm literally smiling like a lunatic as I write this review. I've said this before and I'll say it again: Dare's books are anachronistic. If you're a reader who values historical accuracy above all, then she's not the author
JenReadsRomance
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Hm. Well. I'm going to be working through some things here and this is 100% spoiler-filled and without tags. Enter at your own risk. This is really rough and I will probably continue to edit at will. So forewarned is forearmed. These are first thoughts.

CONTENT WARNINGS: Childhood sexual assault.

As always, there is some delightful banter and if that's your jam, then that will be pleasing in this book. Penny is a likable heroine, of course!-- but I have some real concerns about her character deve
Lacey (Booklovers For Life)
If you love a quirky heroine, a grump of a hero who tries to hide a soft heart, hilarious characters, and a whole bunch of animals, READ THIS BOOK!! The Wallflower Wager is too adorable for words. I had so much fun with Gabriel, Penny, and their friends. I don't even know why I skipped over book 2 but I'm remedying that immediately. I love Tessa Dare so much!
aarya
2019 Ripped Bodice Summer Bingo: Next Door Neighbor

Bookstagram (not a review!): https://www.instagram.com/p/Bzy24O2Ah...

CW/TW: protagonist suffered sexual abuse as a child

Tessa Dare at her best. Ridiculously funny, heart-warming, and poignant. You’re guaranteed to love it if you’ve loved her previous books. And if you haven’t yet tried Dare, this works as a stand-alone despite featuring characters from previous books.

The Wallflower Wager has the following:

🐍 Slytherin/Hufflepuff pairing + hero
Robin (Bridge Four)
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

Reading a Tessa Dare book, is like going to coffee with a friend you haven’t seen in a while.  I always know I’m going to have a good time, it will feel like coming home and there will be some giggling.  The Wallflower Wager didn’t disappoint and is everything I’ve come to expect from Tessa Dare.

Penelope ‘I never met an animal I couldn’t rescue’ Campion, has a barnyard full at her house and at six and twenty has reached spinster status.
Pamela
Aug 14, 2019 added it
Review to come, but the Cliff Notes version is that this may be one of my favorite romances ever.
Kate
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
*ARC provided by publisher via Edelweiss*

This series just gets better and better!

"I hate that word. Ruined. As if passion is an unforgivable transgression, and virginity is the only measure of a woman's worth."

Tessa Dare delivers a compelling, emotional story with layered characters. While there were some things that I didn't enjoy as much, overall I feel like this was the best book of this series so far.

Now, let's get into why it was so enjoyable.

First of all, even more so than in the first two
Sahitya
As all you friends already know, I’m not much of a reader of historical romances, but when I discovered this series at the end of last year, I was surprised by how fun I found it and have been very excited for this third installment since then. I never ever expected to get this ARC though, so that was another delightful surprise.

Lady Penelope Campion aka Penny was always the most eccentric of the group and it was finally nice to get to know her better. She is a warm, kind and compassionate perso
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)

Lady Penelope Campion, Penny, our wallflower, is known by the ton to be unusual and avoided. Not that she cares. She has a group of friends she adores and a menageries of unwanted and unloved animals to lavish her love and affection on. Her new neighbour Mr Gabriel Duke is not quite as please by her cadre of animals. A ruthless businessman, he has recently bought the house next door to Penny and her animals are disrupting his plans. So, Penny sets him a task, if he can find a home, and
Kayla Brunson
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this quite a bit! The humor and Tessa Dare’s writing that you know and love makes this book a great addition to the series! I knew Penelope’s story was going to be a good one and I wasn’t disappointed.

This book started off with Penny losing her parrot and breaking into her new neighbor's house to catch it. You guys, it was a hell of a meet cute! Gabe didn’t know what to make of her. He thought he would be able to stay away, but he couldn’t help but fall for the crazy neighbor with all
Missy
Aug 01, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
OMG! I'm one of the winner of this book's giveaways!!
Barbara Rogers
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-read, edelweiss
Series: Girl Meets Duke #3
Publication Date: 8/12/19
Number of Pages: 384
*** 3.5 Stars rounded up to 4 ***

As I sit here trying to write this review, I am in a quandary over how to rate it. Sadly, that is the usual case with me and this author. Her books are always witty and filled with quirky characters that you can’t help but love. However, they are also thoroughly modern books dressed in period clothes and that really bothers me.

I do want to mention here, near the beginning of my review, that th
Lauren (The Novel Lush)
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Every book in this series is my favorite until the next one comes out and is even better! The Wallflower Wager has me cackling out loud with its sassy MCs and and saucy parrots. If you thought the two nieces in The Governess Game were hilarious, wait until you meet Delilah!

Penny and Gabriel both had heartbreaking backstories and both struggled with their own worth while proving to the other just how priceless they really are.

So many feels. ALL the feels. Super steamy as always. Love me some Tes
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another great book by Tessa Dare! Her books are always sweet and funny and this was no exception. I loved Gabe and Penny. Despite being “the duke of ruin” he was incredibly sweet and perfect for Penny. And Penny was adorable with all her crazy pets, especially Delilah the parrot. I loved Chase and Ash as a bit of comic relief. The writing was excellent and the character growth was good. The last sentence was perfection!
bella ϟ  [ bella farren ]

how am I expected to wait for this? I need more of THIS SERIES. I want to read about two-legged dogs and goats with sensitive stomachs and cute hedgehogs.
Maida
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Tessa Dare proves once more that she’s the Queen of Historical Rom-Com with The Wallflower Wager.

Hilarious, touching, and endearing, this novel showcases found family, bromance, animal shenanigans, and love in one quick read.

I thoroughly enjoyed it and am both looking forward to and dreading the final book in the series with Nicola’s story. This has been a fun series.

CW: childhood sexual abuse (told, not shown)
Paloma *The Romance Queen*
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, e-book-wishlist
Arc provided via edelweiss in exchange for an honest review
3.75 ⭐
Denise Lima
Gabe: A-
Me: description

ARC provided by Edelweiss and Publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Honestly, right now I’m still very euphoric and ecstatic and ridiculously excited, so I’ll have to write this review in portuguese (my native language) because I’m not sure if I'll be able to express myself well enough in english.
But basically what I’ll say is how in love I’m with Gabe (AND PENNY), and how I adored everything about the girls (AND THE BOYS) friendship, and how Tessa Dare is such a wonderful human
Kitty
Jun 11, 2019 marked it as tbr-kindle
for several months now, I am like what is this book where at the end there was a big dog in a park...I am desperately looking for it

as I can't find the book, i decided today to re-read all my historical romance I read the last 2 years.
And I got the 2 first books of this serie on my kindle then I was like oh but I need this book! did I forget to buy it?
nooooo 1 more month to go before it is out!!! >_< I need it now!
Jaclyn
Dear Tessa Dare,

Please never stop writing historically improbable books. I'm fairly certain no other author would style a meet cute via parrot, and this is clearly something we have all been missing in the romance genre.

• Brazen and the Beast (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #2)
  • First Comes Scandal (Rokesbys #4)
  • One Fine Duke (School for Dukes, #3)
  • A Dark and Stormy Knight (Victorian Rebels, #7)
  • Ten Things I Hate About the Duke (Difficult Dukes, #2)
  • When a Rogue Meets His Match (Greycourt, #2)
  • The Devil Comes Courting (The Worth Saga #3)
  • Say No to the Duke (The Wildes of Lindow Castle, #4)
  • Devil's Daughter (The Ravenels, #5)
  • The Scoundrel in Her Bed (Sins for All Seasons, #3)
  • This Scot of Mine (The Rogue Files, #4)
  • A Rogue by Night (The Devils of Dover, #3)
  • When a Duchess Says I Do (Rogues to Riches #2)
  • Sapphire Flames (Hidden Legacy, #4)
  • The Austen Playbook (London Celebrities, #4)
  • Wolf Rain (Psy-Changeling Trinity, #3; Psy-Changeling, #18)
  • Dukes Are Forever (London Steampunk: The Blue Blood Conspiracy #5)
  • The Devilish Lord Will (MacKenzies & McBrides, #10)
Sign up for Tessa's newsletter and be the first to hear about new books and hot deals! http://tessadare.com/newsletter-signup/

Tessa Dare is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of fourteen historical romance novels and five novellas. Her books have won numerous accolades, including Romance Writers of America’s prestigious RITA® award (twice!) and the RT Book Reviews Seal of Excellen

Girl Meets Duke (4 books)
  • The Duchess Deal (Girl Meets Duke, #1)
  • The Governess Game (Girl Meets Duke, #2)
  • The Bride Bet (Girl Meets Duke, #4)
“Wounded male pride has caused the world more destruction than the Black Death and the Great Flood put together.” 0 likes
“Over her years of caring for unwanted animals, Lady Penelope Campion had learned a few things.
Dogs barked; rabbits hopped.
Hedgehogs curled up into pincushions.
Cats plopped in the middle of the drawing room carpet and licked themselves in indelicate places.
Confused parrots flew out open windows and settled on ledges just out of reach. And Penny leaned over window sashes in her nightdress to rescue them- even if it meant risking her own neck.
She couldn't change her nature, any more than the lost, lonely, wounded, and abandoned creatures filling her house could change theirs.”
0 likes