Start by marking “Mad as a Hatter (Sons of Wonderland #1)” as Want to Read:
Mad as a Hatter (Sons of Wonderland #1)

Mad as a Hatter

(Sons of Wonderland #1)

Descend into Madness…

Clara spent her whole life fighting in courtrooms for the downtrodden, the strange ones, the abused. It’s only natural that when a man with rabbit ears on his head comes to see her, she doesn’t blink an eye…
...until he opens a portal and drags her to Wonderland.

But this isn’t the world she’s read about at home. This world has been twisted, pois
Published August 17th 2018

Start your review of Mad as a Hatter (Sons of Wonderland #1)
Jocelyn Sanchez
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
THIS.
BOOK.
OH MY FREAKIN' GOD.
I LOVED THIS BOOK SOO MUCH!!

Okay....going to try to calm myself down a bit because if I don't, I'm going to dolphin wail because I make absolutely no sense when I get all fan-girl. But, guys, this book is ridiculously amazing and has to be my favorite retelling of all time. The Hatter has always been my favorite character in the classic, the movies, other retellings, etc, and this book made me go mad for the Hatter all over again. I'm still swooning so hard right n
Nea❀
Sep 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
Es un muy buen inicio de saga, lo leí muy rápido y ni siquiera lo sentí
Amber J
Feb 10, 2022 rated it really liked it
A dark and sexy retake on Wonderland and its inhabitants.

After following Mr. White a man she thought to be a potential client. Clara finds herself in Wonderland. But it is not the world she grew up hearing about in stories. It's a dangerous place. After meeting Hatter, a sexy but completely mad man, Clara finds out she is part of a prophecy. One of three to help bring down the Red Queen and to bring a Son of Wonderland to his knees.

This was a very enjoyable story. The horror aspects of this boo
k
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
The plot is fascinating, I give you that but to be honest, I am not really a fan of the instant love between Clara Bee and the Hatter. What made things worse for me is the involvement of sexual intercourse, just not my cup of tea.

However, the world building and the writing style themselves are amazing. :)
Iretsia
I have to give this 3 stars because I loved horror Wonderland and the main characters had a sweet relationship, but the author didn’t handle her characters as well as she could have, which was a pretty big disappointment. There was a bit of a disconnect in how they were described and how they acted. For example, Hatter doesn’t seem nearly as mad as he’s described, and I didn’t see any of the darkness that the MC, Clara, is supposed to have.

I like dark Wonderland books, especially when the MC isn
15Cats
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
👑Mad as a Hatter by Kendra Moreno👑
Una lectura fantástica, desde mi punto de vista. Se trata de una versión del clásico "País de las Maravillas" mucho más macabra, violenta y horrenda.
Y a pesar de que se trata de un libro corto de poco más de 200 páginas, hay acción en casi cada capítulo. 👉Este volumen es el primero de la trilogía que está ambientada en esta versión tergiversada de "Alicia en el País de las Maravillas", que tiene como protagonista a Clara; el segundo y el tercer volumen, sin emba
Kayla
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bookshelves
My mind,” he taps the side of his head, “is where I suffer. Inside my thoughts, there’s chaos, insanity, fear. I cannot fight it. I cannot push it away. But inside all that chaos, there’s you, shining bright, my own star to light the way and show me the path home. Never be sorry for who you are,” he says, more serious than I have ever seen him. “Because who you are is everything to me.”

Wonderful!

I love everything about Alice in Wonderland and love retellings, and this one is now my new favorite
Lindsey
Feb 13, 2020 rated it liked it
I thought the ideas in this were interesting, but there wasn't much character development or relationship development. The characters are the same at the beginning as they are at the end, and the fated mates idea is the entire substance of their relationship. There is no push and pull, no will-they-won't-they, nothing of substance to make me invested in their relationship. She's there, he's there, they are "destined", they are into each other. Zero feels.

I did like the re-imagining of Alice in W
Jemailyn
May 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
4.5☆

I liked the quirky and the gore, it never got me bored. He-he!😄 This was absolutely and maddeningly enjoyable! I think I won't be able to imagine Wonderland the same way again without remembering this retelling. 🤪 This book is definitely not for everyone though.. but it's good! 🎩
Julie E. (Bookshelf Adventures)
Oh my giddy aunt! This book was a whirlwind of magic and intrigue. I was hooked from the very first line and could not put this one down!

The characters are believable and the imagery is fantastic, I really felt like I was in Wonderland with Hatter and Clara.

Full review here:

Jos
Oct 29, 2021 rated it liked it
3.5 estrellas en realidad
Lyn♡
Jan 17, 2022 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2022
“–Me gusta cuando haces eso.
–¿Hacer qué?
–Abrazar mi locura.”

•• ¿De qué va la historia? ••

Clara creía que era normal que un hombre con orejas de conejo acudiera a su despacho. Hasta que este abre un agujero que la transporta al País de las Maravillas. Sí, ese País de las Maravillas del que tanto hemos leído en los cuentos. Solo que ahora es completamente diferente. Ha sido destruido y arrasado por nada más y nada menos que la Reina Roja.

Allí, Clara descubre que ella es parte de una profecí
S.N. Wilson
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As someone who has never watched nor read 'Alice in Wonderland', I was a little worried if I would catch/understand any references between the original story and this amazing retelling. And amazing it is! This version is perfect for Alice fans or peeps who, like me, have never heard the story before!

Kendra's talents as a storyteller are awe-inspiring and she blows me away with her writing every single time!

Her writing style is witty and sassy, and I found myself giggling at the voice of her MC,
Michelle
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So I have to admit that Alice in Wonderland has never really been my jam. But this retelling has definitely changed my opinion.
No, this is not the Wonderland that we're familiar with. And no, these characters aren't who we were told they were. But that's what makes this story so amazing. Everything has a touch of darkness that truly pulls this story together.
Overall, I truly enjoyed this story. And I will definitely be continuing this series.
Shannon Hiner
DNF around 70%. I just couldn't talk myself into picking this back up. The characters were blah and the style unpolished. 😕 I hate to give up, but also no reason to force myself to go on. ...more
Alisha Rowe
Jun 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This review was originally posted at https://bit.ly/3gCPU6I.
Clara is a defense attorney that has always fought for the underdog against large corporations. Now, she may face her biggest challenge yet when Mr. White approaches her to "defeat the queen". She takes the case, thinking that it is a metaphor only to be transported to the actual Wonderland. Wonderland is not what it seems any longer as Alice has become the Red Queen and is destroying life as they know it. The once beautiful and excit
Elaine
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. I liked the setting of twisted, dark Wonderland, I liked the characters, especially the three Sons of Wonderland,I liked the villain of the story and I liked the plot and premise of this book. I only have 2 complaints (that's why 4 and not 5 stars). The first one is the insta love thingy (I really, really hate insta love). Some might say it wasn't insta love because the heroine, Clara, says she didn't fall for the Hatter right away. But the whole story happens in a week ...more
Sophie
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorite retellings of Alice in Wonderland. Kendra threw everything into this book - romance, horror, love, sex, violence, and heart.

Let's start with the MC, Clara. She is exactly as she needed to be in a Wonderland retelling. She is smart and educated (a lawyer), which makes her quick on her feet. She isn't going to let anyone take advantage of her, especially with the fine print on magical deals made with other wonderland characters. She has a strong sense of duty to fulfill
Bitchin' Reads
Dec 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
Was an okay read. The main character's go-with-the-flow nature because "she's a lawyer and nothing fazes her" got old quickly. It was too unrealistic in that regard, so much so it was hard to suspend reality for a while and get sucked into the story. But the story did have massive potential. I am a little tempted to try the next books in the series, but I'm also mostly not. This is a very short read and it took me a long time to get through it. Long time means this just wasn't for me and it woul ...more
Heather Thomas
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Don't expect to be able to put this one down

I am an avid fan f Alice in wonderland tales and when this one was recommended by one of my reader groups I decided to give it a chance, I am far from disappointed!

The characters and plot line sucked me in faster than expected and I don't regret my lack of sleep due to this book. My only upset is knowing I have to wait for the next installment.

Seriously worth the price and lack of sleep.
Amber
May 26, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
I enjoyed this retelling a lot actually. I'm not a horror person, but even though this book was labeled as horror, it wasn't over the top or too gruesome to me (and I'm a major wuss).

This book is adult in nature, the main characters do have sex but it wasn't in-depth in its descriptions so I wouldn't label it as erotic.

I loved that this was a fantasy novel with an adult main character. Clara is in her 30s and I found that I really liked that fact more than anything else. It was nice to read a bo
Annemarie
Mar 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-english
This could have been so much more. There was so much potential.

Look, I'm a sucker for anything Alice in Wonderland. Whether it's a retelling or loosely inspired on it, I will be interested. This book didn't quite capture me at the start. (view spoiler)

Obviously, this book focuses on the Mad Hatter. There's a whole lot of him, and or female lead, Clara, mentioning
Rhiannon Chillingworth
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked this a lot!

I'm a bit of a sucked for dark fairy tale re-tellings, and Alice in Wonderland is one of my favourites to re-tell.

Despite everything happening quite quickly without a massive about if build up (usually my main grip with books that are under 200 pages) I enjoy d the plot and the characters.

The concept is a cool one: three women are prophesied to bring about the end of the evil Red Queen of Hearts (who this is is revealed at the start) and each will fall in love with a Son of Wo
Melissa
May 11, 2021 rated it it was ok
I knew what I was getting into with this book and I was willing to let a lot of things slide. But the one thing that I absolutely cannot let go is that all of the characters and much of the Wonderland world are based the god-awful Tim Burton movie version and not on the original "Alice in Wonderland." Despite the so bad it's good cover, the Hatter is described with having red hair and the Cheshire Cat is gray with teal stripes, which is massively disappointing.

Another slightly off-putting thing
Veronika Kasardová
Jun 20, 2022 rated it it was ok
Neměla jsem žádný velký expectations takže no surprise here… každopádně bych ráda zmínila ten fakt, že každá male postava byla handsome nebo sexy s příhodně odhaleným hrudníkem.
No a nakonec přidávám pár quotes
“Clara Bee,” a voice dripping with sex and violence

Hatter growls at me for stealing his hat, a sexy sound that makes my breasts tighten. I’m sure I just committed a big no-no.

… it would be not giving into the chemistry between us. So, here I am, sandwiched between a wall and a hard place. W
Claire Ingram
Feb 14, 2022 rated it liked it
interesting Alice retelling

Similar to other retelling this is set years after the Alice went to wonderland
After she returns evil and takes over wonderland and starts to kill everything there, Clara is taken there to fulfill the prophecy and overthrow the queen
I really liked the original characters
Bit to much crying for my liking
I liked hatters rhymes
Missy Jane
Mar 27, 2021 rated it really liked it
I'm not usually a fan of books written in 1st person, present tense, but this book pulled me in from the beginning and I stopped noticing the tense. I love all things Alice in Wonderland and this take is a great new twist. It's definitely an adult book, with hot sensuality and gory violence. ...more
Neamat
Oct 10, 2021 rated it liked it
I just LOVED the world building and prophecy in this book!
And though I felt the character of Clara was a little bit lacking in character building I was more than distracted by the madness of Wonderland and its Hatter!
Insta-attraction also isn't my cup of tea so that played a role too in the rating. But I gotta say, it was interlaced quite well with the story as to stop it from hindering the plot and instead making it empower it and move it along.
Celia
Apr 25, 2022 rated it it was ok
Creo que podría haber sido mucho más. La historia era interesante pero no me gusta la forma en que la desarrollaron.
Sam McManus
Dee
Penny
Aimee
Aug 12, 2018
Kendra Moreno
Aug 15, 2018 is currently reading it  ·  (Review from the author)
Jenn
Heather
is currently reading it
Aug 19, 2018
Turn of a Page: Mad as a Hatter by Kendra Moreno 11 25 Feb 10, 2022 08:50PM

• Her Mad Hatter (Kingdom, #1)
  • The Wonderland Murders
  • The Ringmaster (Harrow Faire #4)
  • The Faire (Harrow Faire, #5)
  • The Clown (Harrow Faire, #3)
  • The Puppeteer (Harrow Faire, #2)
  • Her Soul to Take (Souls Trilogy, #1)
  • The Contortionist (Harrow Faire, #1)
  • The Astonishing Strande Brothers (Harrow Faire, #5.5)
  • Illusions of Grandeur (The Impossible Julian Strande, #1)
  • Ghosts & Liars (The Impossible Julian Strande, #2)
  • Feline The Heat (The Firehouse Feline, #1)
  • Illusion of Death (Crystal Clear, #2)
  • Lotto Men (Lotto Love, #1)
  • Once Upon A Wolf (Everafter Academy, #1)
  • The Storm We Face (Together We Fall, #3)
  • Illusion of Escape (Crystal Clear, #1)
  • Crow (Faeries of Oz #2)
See top shelves…
Kendra Moreno was born and raised in Texas where, if the locusts don’t drive you mad, the fire ants and sticker burrs will. Iced tea, or aptly called straight sugar, fuels her for battling the forces of evil and washing the never ending dishes her son dirties. She has one husband who listens to her spin tall tales constantly without fail. Although he doesn’t always know what she’s talking about, h ...more

Sons of Wonderland (4 books)
  • Late as a Rabbit (Sons of Wonderland #2)
  • Feral as a Cat (Sons of Wonderland #3)
  • Cruel as a Queen (Sons of Wonderland, #4)

News & Interviews

Mateo Askaripour is a Brooklyn-based writer whose first novel, Black Buck—which Colson Whitehead calls a “mesmerizing novel, executing a...
“— Cheshire. — Eu sussurro, porque quem mais pode ser?
— Você sabe quem eu sou. — Diz ele, sorrindo largo e sinistro.
— Apenas das histórias Embora nenhuma delas descreva você como você está agora.”
0 likes
“— Você pretende me machucar? — Eu sussurro
— Às vezes, não podemos ajudar quem nós machucamos. — Diz ele com tristeza
— Você quer que eu te machuque? — Ele pergunta, sua voz rouca. — Eu posso fazer a dor parecer prazer”
0 likes