Start by marking “Waiting for Tom Hanks” as Want to Read:
Waiting for Tom Hanks

Waiting for Tom Hanks

Can a romcom-obssessed romantic finally experience the meet-cute she always dreamed of or will reality never compare to fiction, in this charming debut adult novel from Kerry Winfrey.

Annie is twenty-seven years old, single, and obsessed with romantic comedies (she and her mother watched them religiously, before her mom died). Her dating life is limited by the expectations
Expected publication: June 11th 2019 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Waiting for Tom Hanks, please sign up.
Kelly Showalter Go to giveways. Top right choose giveways you entered and find your winning entry. You can say not received. Will say sometimes it takes weeks...other…moreGo to giveways. Top right choose giveways you entered and find your winning entry. You can say not received. Will say sometimes it takes weeks...other time less than a weeks. (less)

Melanie

ARC provided by Berkley in exchange for an honest review.

I started out really loving this, but... it just.. yikes, I really disliked the main character. Like, honestly? Chloe and Uncle Don were the only good characters, truly. RTC! <3

Blog | Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | Youtube | Twitch

Buddy read with Alexa, Madalyn, & Amy! ❤
Erin
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: march-2019
A very special thanks to Penguin Random House Publishing for providing me with a free copy of this book. I was under no obligation to read and review this book.

Waiting For Tom Hanks by Kerry Winfrey is an adorable love letter to romantic comedies. While reading this book I realized that I haven't watched a rom-com in a long time. I used to watch movies like While You Were Sleeping, 50 First Dates, How To Lose a Guy in Ten Days, and Brown Sugar at least once a week. Somewhere along the way I jus
Christy
May 07, 2019 rated it liked it

photo AA6DAD9C-8078-4C60-873D-C72E405DA49E_zpsdw6jjvia.png

Annie is a 27 year old who lives at home with her uncle. She’s obsessed with romantic comedies and that’s probably why she’s still single. She has huge expectations for the love of her life (when he comes along). She is waiting for her Tom Hanks and it’s hard to find someone to measure up to that level of greatness.

When a filming crew comes to town, Annie gets a job as an assistant to the director. She has a meet-cute with the actor, but for some reason, she can’t see it for what it
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Normally I wouldn’t be posting a review so many months in advance of a book’s release (heck, let’s face it – normally I end up failing miserably and reading half of the ARCs I receive after their release date), but there was zero chance I wasn’t going to talk about this one on Valentine’s Day.

The story here is about Annie. Ever since she was a little girl she has dreamed of the moment she would meet-cute her one true love. She was al
Katie B

I'm actually surprised I enjoyed this one considering I'm not the biggest fan of romantic comedies and that's such a big part of this story. But hey, the clever title reeled me right in. This wasn't a perfect read but I thought it was cute and provided a nice distraction from real life.

To say twenty-seven year old Annie likes romantic comedies is putting it mildly. It's more like she is obsessed with them partly because she grew up watching them with her late mother. Annie is convinced
Kerry
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I think this book is good but honestly I'm pretty biased.
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
And... DNF/NR

I feel like I've been DNF'ing all over the place lately but this one, I fear, is going to give me permanent resting bitch-face if I don't skedattle with a quickness.

Why, you ask?

Two words: Annie Cassidy

Annie is a pill. I can abide a grump but a pill is a whole different ball of wax. Were Annie an actual person she would be one of those people that you duck into an alley or bend quickly to tie to your shoes so she doesn't spot you.

Otherwise you're going to be there for awhile . And
Rachel Reads Ravenously
4.5 stars!

Alright y'all, this review is going to be full of You've Got Mail gifs so here we go!

Waiting for Tom Hanks is about Annie, a young woman obsessed with romantic comedies and searching for her own "Tom Hanks". Not the actual Tom Hanks, but the metaphorical version of him where he's the perfect man in romantic comedies. When she finds out a romantic comedy is going to be filming in her neighborhood, she gets a job on the set where she meets leading man Drew, the opposite of Tom Hanks.

I
Madalyn (Novel Ink)
Apr 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Cute for the most part, but the last 30% or so was... questionable. RTC!
Tatiana
Apr 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: romcom fans
Shelves: ppb, 2019, romancelandia
Waiting for Tom Hanks is more successful as a love letter to romcoms than a romance, IMO. I wish it did both well.

I can so relate to the author's and her heroine's adoration of romantic comedies! I usually spend pre-Christmas season gorging on everything cute and light I can stream; Nora Ephron's masterpieces are always at top of that list. When Harry Met Sally, Sleepless In Seattle, You've Got Mail, and then Serendipity, While You Were Sleeping, 27 Dresses, Bridget Jones’ Diary, Working Girl, G
Alexa
Apr 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
Buddy read with Madalyn & Melanie!

If you’re into romantic comedies (no matter how wacky or wild they get), you will enjoy this one! It’s got a lot of nods to classic romcoms, both on the page and as part of the actual novel and its plot. I did find some parts of it frustrating in the latter third, but it still managed to make me smile and I did get the feels during some of the swoonier bits.
Jaclyn
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you Netgalley and Berkley for providing me with an ARC!!

THIS WAS SO ADORABLE AND CUTE!!! A literal romantic comedy wrapped up in all the warm fuzzy feelings. This story follows Annie, a writer who is obsessed with rom coms and finding true love, which she finds while working on the set of a romantic comedy with hearthrob Drew. It has all the fun cliches, an awkward hilarious meet-cute, the denying or the feelings, misunderstanding, and a grand gesture that will leave you with a huge smile
Cristina | CristiinaReads
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc-books
Unpopular opinion here and I feel kind of sad that I feel this way over this beautifully written romance novel, with such an incredible cover...

I am probably the only one who will be feeling this way over this novel, but I never back down from speaking the truth when it comes down to any romance novels. Don't get me wrong, the writing was surprisingly incredibly well written. What threw me off was the story plot. I am the biggest fan of Tom Hanks and all his cheesy rom-com movies, but to me I
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
Excited!!

Heather~ Nature.books.and.coffee
Thank you to the publisher and netgalley for my early ebook copy! I really enjoyed this romcom. I have really been in the mood lately for a light read as I was burned out on thrillers I think. This book was so fun. It definitely had me laughing at parts. I would definitely recommend this book to all the romcom fans who need a light read. Fun and enjoyable
Amy Risner
I’m soft for a sweet romcom.
Even though the last bits were... not my fave. Lmao. I’m sitting at 3.5 stars for now? RTC.

Buddy read with Melanie, Alexa, and Madalyn!
Simone
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, funny-reads, romance
If I had to compare Waiting for Tom Hanks to another romcom in the universe, I think I would go with Win a Date with Tad Hamilton. While the endings of both these stories are completely different, Waiting for Tom Hanks does hold a lot of similarities to Win a Date with Tad Hamilton.

The story is about a young woman named Annie who lives and breathes romcoms. She especially loves the Nora Ephron/Tom Hanks movies and chalked up the love of her life to the character Tom Hanks played, thus the name o
Leslie Ann
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness this is the cutest book! In fact, it's my favorite book of 2019 so far. I loved the writing and all the witty banter between the two main characters. I'm now off to watch all the romantic comedies that were mentioned throughout this story. I cannot WAIT for Chloe and Nick's adventure! I highly highly recommend this book.
Juliana
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for this digital ARC
The main word I have for this book is cute. The story is cute, the romance is cute, and the writing is cute. Its right in the middle of everything, which is why it deserves three stars and not more. It was entertaining and I read it in less than 3 hours so it was a fast read as well.
What I enjoyed about the book is that Kerry Winfrey knows her romcoms (especially Nora Ephron's) and wove a ton of those references throughout the book. I en
Kayla Brunson
Apr 30, 2019 marked it as dnf
Shelves: arc
DNF 64 pages.
So I’m just going to call it quits on this one. I can tell from early on that I’m not going to like this book so there’s really no need to push myself. All my issues deal with the main character. Annie bothered me so much in such few pages.

Her need to compare everything and everyone to a romcom killed it for me. I like romcoms as much as the next girl, but it felt like overkill. This just wasn’t for me.

I received an ARC via Goodreads giveway.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter
Stephanie (Stephanie's Novel Fiction)
Cute and quirky, a quick fun read! Definitely recommended if you love early 90s rom-coms because there are a ton of references. Full review to come.
Randi
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Annie is waiting for Tom Hanks to appear in her life. Not the actual Tom Hanks, but the Tom Hanks of romantic comedies—the man she was meant to be with. She is an avid romantic comedy fan and is waiting for her “meet-cute” to happen. A romantic comedy is set to film in her hometown and she gets a job as the director’s assistant. Before her first day even starts, she runs into the actor, Drew, and spills her coffee all over him. Is this their “meet-cute”?

This was an enjoyable, sweet romantic come
Dana
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I could gush about this book for a very long time. It is full of perfectly placed pop culture references and careful rom com analysis. The book just sparkles, particularly in the group scenes at Annie’s house or Nick’s Coffee Shop. I laughed out loud, I sighed in delight, and I tried to talk to/advise Annie as if she could hear me. I could live in this book.

The supporting characters are delightful and I’m so excited there will be a book about them too.
Grace
May 17, 2019 rated it liked it
3.25 Stars

This is a story of a woman who's heart lives in a fictional world. As the title suggests, she is convinced that the knight in shining armor will resemble a character from a Nora Ephron movie, like Tom Hanks. No, she isn't obsessed with the man himself, but the type of characters he portrays in the movies - think Sleepless in Seattle or You've Got Mail.

Tom Hanks isn't a person so much as he is a representation of the kind of man I deserve, as my told me over and over. "Don't settle for
Kara Gemian
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So this book was most definitely written for me. Thanks Kerry for burrowing into my brain and writing this!

All of my friends know that I am obsessed with Tom Hanks, he is literally my favorite human being, and I know really random facts about him so as soon as I saw the title of this book I jumped on it. I then read the synopsis and got so giddy then I read it and couldn't stop smiling!

If I didn't have to work the next day I would have finished this in one sitting. Damn was it cute! I love rom-
Zoe
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute, quick, easy read with lots of classic rom-com references.

Full review to follow shortly.
Lori
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, romance
I received a copy of this book from the goodreads giveaway. "Waiting for Tom Hanks" is a romantic fiction about Annie, a young woman who has grown up loving the "rom-com" movies. She yearns to find a guy like the characters that Tom Hanks has played in the movies. Sleepless in Seattle and You've got Mail. She grew up loving these movies and imagines ending up with a Mr. Right like the Romance movies she loves. When she gets hired to me an assisstant in a movie that is being filmed in her home st ...more
Seema Rao
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Charming ~ Funny ~ Readable

tl; dr: "Your destiny can be your doom" or completely doable

This book was so incredibly well-done. I've never been an acolyte of Ephron. The majority of the Meg Ryan movies came out before I knew about Romance. But, I do love Tom Hanks, for his love of Cleveland, where he got his equity card. So, I was already in with the title. But, This charming book really sold it. It has the banter quality of the better Jennifer Crusie books (or I guess those RomComs). I also loved
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: april-2019
MY RATING: 4/5 STARS

I received an arc from Penguin Random House Canada in exchange for a honest review.

I wanted to give a fair warning to those who are interested in this novel to not really take this one seriously. What I mean by this is that there are two ways to interpret this one and if you interpret one way the other, your rating can range from a 2 or a solid 4. My interpretation is that this book is loosely based on the formula of a romantic comedy. Therefore, we see themes of prejudice,
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Virtually Yours
  • Well Met
  • 10 Blind Dates
  • Fix Her Up (Hot and Hammered #1)
  • New Orleans Rush
  • The Right Swipe (Modern Love, #1)
  • Fake It Till You Break It
  • The Perfect Date
  • Pride, Prejudice, and Other Flavors
  • Untitled
  • The Unhoneymooners
  • Bridal Boot Camp (Little Bridge Island, #0.5)
  • Field Notes on Love
  • Meet Cute
  • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • How to Hack a Heartbreak
  • Dangerous Alliance
  • Hope and Other Punchlines
Kerry Winfrey grew up in Bellville, Ohio, where she spent most of her time reading inappropriate books at the library. Not much has changed. Kerry writes for HelloGiggles and blogs at welcometoladyville.com. She lives in Columbus, Ohio with her husband, their son, and their dog, Merlin. You can find her on Twitter @KerryAnn.