Start by marking “Unquiet Women: From the Dusk of the Roman Empire to the Dawn of the Enlightenment” as Want to Read:

Wynflæd was an Anglo-Saxon noblewoman who owned male slaves and badger-skin gowns; Egeria a Gaulish nun who toured the Holy Land as the Roman Empire was collapsing; Gudfrid an Icelandic explorer and the first woman to give birth to a European child on American soil; Mary Astell a philosopher who out-thought John Locke.

In this exploration of some remarkable – but little-kn

Published November 1st 2018 by Apollo

To ask other readers questions about Unquiet Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unquiet Women

Amalia Gavea
‘’Emerging from these themes is a conviction that history is polyphonic - that it must be told by many voices; that the ear must be tuned, and tuned finely, to the individual and the collective at one and the same time.’’

It is not a secret that historians have done no justice to the notion of equality in their chronicles. There are so many men of less than average deeds and yet, most of us know their names. And there have been so many women worthy of recognition throughout the course of mankin
Roman Clodia
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
'When told that "it did not become a woman to be learned, as so few are", she [Christine de Pizan] replied that "it did not become a man to be so ignorant, as so many are" '

This tapestry of women's lives weaves together stories from the fall of Rome through to the C17th century, taking an inclusive look across geographical space to how women have always spoken up, educated themselves, argued, debated and taken up public space and social roles. Not all the women have well-documented lives and, ev
Karen Mace
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I found this to be a thoroughly captivating look at some of the forgotten women of history, throughout the ages.

The achievements of many were only really appreciated long after their deaths, and this book does a wonderful job of bringing their names and contributions back to life and to a wider audience.

When I read books like this it makes me mad that I never really appreciated history when I was back at school! I think all I can remember being taught about was about The Tudors, so to read the
Melisende d'Outremer
I read this one a couple of days before Pamela Toler's "Women Warriors" - and to be perfectly honest, I feel like cutting and pasting my review of that book here.

A " ... crafted patchwork of the forgotten lives of some of the most remarkable women in history ..." - only if this is not your area of interest. If it is, then this is merely a collection of things of interest to the author and organised in some sort of chapter according to their subject matter. To me personally, it reminded me of a b
L A
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to Head of Zeus and Netgalley for the advance reading copy.

I was SO excited to read this book when I initially read the blurb for it, but unfortunately it didn’t quite live up to my expectations. The concept itself is compelling: forgotten voices from women throughout History, but it doesn’t quite meet its aim. I had hoped for something similar to the women’s stories featured on the badassoftheweek.com series.

The author is clearly very knowledgeable, and I enjoyed the parts where he talke
Cassidy (Reminders of the Changing Time)
To see all of my book-related content, check out my blog @ http://bit.ly/2zzVt0R

2018 marks one-hundred years since some women were allowed the ability to vote in the United Kingdom. That means that, this year the market has been inundated with books that celebrate kick-arse women throughout the ages. Which is great.
Girl power? I am all for it.
But, unfortunately, it is November now (I mean, in some ways, November is also my birthday month so yay me). Which means I have read eleven months worth o
Cath Senker
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s no easy task to explore the lives of a variety of women ‘from the dusk of the Roman Empire to the Dawn of the Enlightenment and find a thread that unites them. But Max Adams has done an excellent job of finding the thread of restlessness and curiosity common to all and weaving it through his historical narrative.

Max’s background as an archaeologist has served him well as he unravels the stories of women in ancient times who were not able to tell it for themselves – from the textiles, spindl
Asha - A Cat, A Book, And A Cup Of Tea
An interesting premise with a slightly dry execution. I'm always eager to learn tidbits of history about people you don't normally hear about, so I enjoyed the wide range of women discussed in this book - there are figures from all walks of life and professions, across a large time period.

Each of the women discussed sounds fascinating, but I didn't feel that this book really gave very much information about some of them, and the biographies are rather simplistic, listing events and achievements
Victoria
Nov 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-s
Unquiet Women is a well-crafted patchwork of the forgotten lives of some of the most remarkable women in history.

I really enjoy books such as this, discovering more women in history who have done great things is never a bad thing and this book certainly does do that, giving us insight into fantastic women who have made their mark on the world. Adams delivers these women’s live in short bites of information that you can get easily stuck into even if these are delivered maybe a little drily.

The r
Ambsg
This book was really interesting and for most of it I loved it. But it lost me. Not only was it hard to follow the stories of women I had very little context for or had literally never heard of, but it was also a really intellectual book which was a challenge over a long read. Not bad and a beautiful one for the bookshelf.
Kevin Futers
Claire-Jane
Dec 15, 2018
Annarella
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An entertaining and engaging history book, full of stories of women. Some of them are quite well known, other were a great discovery of interesting characters.
I loved how well explained the profiles are and the huge number of women included.
A very good introduction to women's history and an entertaining and informative read.
Recommended!
John Hughes
Feb 11, 2019
Anya
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I mean all of us hardly learned anything about women in history class and I am delighted that everyday more books are popping up about brave and courageous women and their history. We do need more of those books.

However "Unquiet Women" was a bit too dry and boring for my taste. I guess I went into it with wrong expectations.
I feel the author tried to make it not as academic and to make it more accessible for a wider range of readers.
A few of the stories I liked more than others. My favorites wo
Bryonny
Tabitha
Nov 28, 2018
Ellie Small
Nov 28, 2018
Max Adams is the author of In the Land of Giants as well as a number of other books published in Britain. A university professor, Max lives in the northeast of England.