Start by marking “A Heart For Freedom” as Want to Read:
A Heart For Freedom

A Heart For Freedom

(A Heart Set Free #2)

He longs for freedom, but he won’t risk those he loves.
Matthew Stewart wants only to farm, manage his inn, and protect his family. But tension between the Loyalists and Patriots is mounting. When he’s asked to help the Patriots and assured his family will be safe, he agrees.

She’s seen the cost of fighting England, and she wants no part of it.
In Scotland, Heather Stewart wi
Mass Market Paperback, 278 pages
Published October 1st 2018 by Lighthouse Publishing of the Carolinas

To ask other readers questions about A Heart For Freedom, please sign up.
Janet Grunst Yes, it has and will be released in October of 2020.

Start your review of A Heart For Freedom
Cindy
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Now I can't wait for the next book in the series! Don't worry, the ending of this one is not a cliffhanger. It's actually a great ending. Problem is that the author Mrs Grunst, has made her characters so real you feel they're old friends, and you can't wait to visit with them again. Even better, they're godly friends who love the Lord and you'll love hearing how He worked in their lives. Hearing their stories will affect your heart too. If you will allow it, you will be encouraged, given hope, a ...more
Elaine Cooper
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
"A Heart for Freedom" by Janet S. Grunst is a historically-accurate novel that depicts the quandary of the colonists in 1776. While many Americans desired freedom from England, an equal number desired to remain loyal to the King. What is often missing from historicals during this time period is the other third of the colonists—those who desired freedom yet desired peace as well. Their simple lives as farmers and merchants were about to be turned upside down by war and they knew the consequences ...more
Karen Wingate
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's easy to romanticize past historical events like the Revolutionary War and focus on only the heroic efforts of the Founding Fathers. Janet Grunst does an excellent job on plucking a person from ordinary life and showing how the Revolutionary War impacted individuals, families, and neighbors. Heather and Matthew Stewart find themselves caught in the middle of the War for Independence whether they want to or not. Matthew holds a secret he cannot tell his family, yet the secret almost kills him ...more
Denise Weimer
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Janet Grunst weaves romance, friendship, and intrigue into a delightful and well-written yarn that will keep you yearning for a happy ending until the last page. An authentic and enjoyable sequel to A Heart Set Free, even for a new reader to the series.

I received an ARC of A Heart for Freedom but was not obligated to leave a positive review.
Alysha (For The Love of Christian Fiction)
There was a lot happening in this book!

It had a lot of moving parts that worked for the plot, but did make keeping up with everyone a little difficult.

A lot of the names were similar so I had no precise person in my mind at any given time.
It was just a mumble jumble of people.

It was a good story. Rich in love and hope.
3/5 stars.
Barbara Keigher
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I especially loved the way she wove Biblical scripture and how to apply it to real life situations. I highly recommend it.
Tina
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, e-pdf-adr
A Heart for Freedom by Janet S. Grunst

April 1775 brings much uncertainty and turmoil in Virginia and the colonies as conflicts with England escalate, which may lead to war. We catch up with Matthew and Heather Stewart in the midst of this conflict. Matthew is a courageous, strong man of faith and integrity which puts him at odds with the decisions he must make. I could feel his struggle as he made those decisions, how his heart is torn between family and duty to his country as he awaits God’s g
Clarice James
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Janet D. Grunst puts flesh and blood on the dead bones of textbook history in A Heart of Freedom, her second book in her historical trilogy about life in late 18th century Virginia. The author easily draws readers back in time. She also does a wonderful job juxtaposing the simplicities of life against the complexities of a pre-war political era. Her characters’ relationships, conflicts, joys, and hardships become ours.
Pat
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The great character and storyline development captured my attention from the very first page and wouldn't let me go until I read the very last page! This was the first book that I have read from this author and it definitely will not be the last!
Kathy Stackhouse
Oct 02, 2018 is currently reading it
I thoroughly enjoyed reading A HEART FOR FREEDOM by Janet Grunst. Suspense, intrigue, spies, romance, love and trust in God are all part of this story, which tells of the exciting lives of Matthew and Heather Stewart, who are caught up in the perils of the beginnings of the American Revolution.
Donna Scofield
I was eager to read “A Heart for Freedom” after reading “A Heart Set Free.” I was not disappointed. This book is a “stand-alone” novel, but the author skillfully drops in enough details from the first book to keep the reader fully informed. The characters are so believable that the reader feels their pain and happiness. Ms. Grunst has written a novel about the beginning of the Revolutionary War that is well-researched and historically correct. Her details of everyday life make the reader feel th ...more
Georgia Lowe
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Heart for Freedom is another great story from author Janet Grunst. It was wonderful to hear more about Matthew and Heather Stewart and how the approaching Revolutionary War has affected their family and friends. Like her first book A Heart Set Free, I didn’t want to put this one down until I was finished. I was thrilled to learn at the end that there will eventually be more to their story.
Regina
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What an excellent story! More review to come.
Jodie Wolfe
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Heart for Freedom picks up a few years after A Heart Set Free. It's set during the backdrop of the beginnings of the American Revolution.

While it isn't a typical romance, I found it to be an interesting read. Grunst did a wonderful job bringing out historical tidbits that were seamlessly woven into the story.

A copy was given to me free, but a favorable review was not required in any way - 2018.
Laurel
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a very interesting book about the beginning of the Revolutionary War. It was also the first Christian book I have read with this subject. This book did keep me reading, however, I got turned off by the same Bible passages being quoted over and over. I felt like something was missing, in the book. Can not put my finger exactly on why it feels incomplete.

I did receive this ARC without cost for an unbiased review. Which I believe I have done.
Debbie Mitchell
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Book 2 is a hit!

After reading Book 1 in this series, I wanted to jump right into reading Book 2, but alas I had a couple other books to read first. It was so worth the wait! A Heart for Freedom continues the story of Matthew and Heather Stewart.....and what a story! This series could SO be a movie. With every turn of the page, I was right there with the characters....feeling their pain, their hope, their joy. If you enjoy books about the colonists in 1775-1776, about their struggles and how they
Randy Tramp
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Matthew Stewart wants only to farm, manage his rural Virginia inn, and protect his family from the tyranny of the Crown. But with tensions between the British Loyalists and Colonial Patriots mounting, he’s forced to choose sides.

While in Scotland Heather Stewart witnessed the devastation and political consequences of opposing the Crown. Now she wants only to avoid war and protect the family and peace she's found in Virginia. When Matthew leaves for a short journey and doesn’t return, Heather be
Joan Arning
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
You may have a new appreciation for our American freedom after reading A Heart For Freedom! Heather and Matthew Stewart enjoy their life in the colonies until Matthew feels he must choose sides in the coming battle between the Patriots and Tories. Matthew is a strong protagonist as he secretly carries messages for the Patriots. Heather is also strong as she cares for the family and ordinary when Matthew fails to return home from a trip to buy cattle. The characters are well written and you will ...more
Page Turners
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Heart for Freedom is another fantastic novel from Janet Grunst. I loved the story of Heather & Matthew. This fast-paced novel grabs your attention at page one and keeps it all the way to the end. This page turner will have you flying through the pages. I highly recommend this book and I assure you that you won’t be disappointed. I look forward to the continuation of this series. ...more
Robert Floyd
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A heartfelt story

I truly enjoyed this book so much that, in the midst of reading it, after discovering that there was a prequel, "A Heart Set Free", I switched over to reading that book before resuming this book. Both books were well written and portrayed life during the American Revolution quite reasonably.
Elissa Mahler
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great read! It was presented in a realistic, historic manner, that was approachable to the modern reader. The story line was easy to pick up on (I started with this book, not book 1 in the series). I am sure that it would fit well in a series format.

I was blessed with a free copy of this book, and I have chosen of my own volition to share this review with you!
Zeinab Dh
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I chose to read and review this book.I enjoyed reading this book. Everything is well written. It was very emotional. I liked how the main characters meet and interact together. I enjoyed what motivates them and how goals are. This one had a lot of emotions internal struggles feelings love care loyalty action and much more that made me crave each page I recommend this one.
Deborah Lane
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Virginia, colonial times. War and rumors of war, conflict resolution which comes at great cost to all. Well written, lovely character development. Layers of storyline! Recommended.
Mary Payne
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Heart for Freedom

A very uplifting novel with a sense of being there with the characters as events unfold. Once started I wanted to continue until it was finished
Pegg
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful follow-up to "A Heart Set Free." This non-traditional romance follows the married couple, Matthew and Heather Stewart. Their happily-ever-after is challenged by the turmoil of the American Revolution. Can they and their marriage survive in the midst of such chaos, danger, and uncertainty?
Carol
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Heart For Freedom by Janet S. Grunst is an enjoyable read. This is book two and continues Heather and Matthew's story from A Heart Set Free. Set during the Revolutionary War where the couple just want to live a peaceful life with their family. A well researched book with decisions to be made. There is danger, spies and romance. Great read and I hope there will be another book in this series.

I received this book from Lighthouse Publishers of the Carolinas and all opinions are my own.
Wendy Gorman
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Faith Rewarded

This is a well written continuation of the tragedies and triumphs of a family and Virginian community during the emergence of a new free nation, portraying the strength of loyalty, love, and faith.
Marguerite Gray
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The American Revolution is rumbling in the lives of Matthew and Heather. Secrets, danger, love, and lose grip the pages of the second book featuring this couple and their growing family. I'm looking forward to the third book in the series.
Lois
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Blessed.

God's faithfulness toward His people never fails. Sometimes the answer to our prayers is not what we want but His will is best.
Kim Paulus
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book kept me awake at night, had to get to the end. ;)

• The King's Dilemma
  • The Noble Guardian (The Bow Street Runners, #3)
  • Secrets & Charades
  • A Musket in My Hands (Civil War Romance #3)
  • Mail Order Penelope (Widows, Brides & Secret Babies Book 23)
  • The Innkeeper's Daughter (The Bow Street Runners #2)
  • Mail Order Lila (Widows, Brides, and Secret Babies Book 21)
  • Riches of the Heart (Second Chances Time Travel Romance Series Book 4)
  • Mail Order Olivia
  • Mail Order Christine (Widows, Brides, and Secret Babies Book 13)
  • The Witness Tree
  • Meddlesome Madge (Mail Order Brides Rescue #11)
  • Aloha My Love: Christmas in July
  • Email-Order Romance: The Complete Series
  • Red Truck Rendezvous (The Ornamental Match Maker Book 26)
  • Della (Cowboys and Debutantes, #2)
  • A Snowy Delivery for Christmas (Ornamental Match Maker #20)
  • The Obsession
Janet is a wife, mother of two sons, and grandmother of eight who lives in the historic triangle of Virginia (Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown) with her husband. Her debut novel, A Heart Set Free was the 2016 Selah Award winner for Historical Romance. The second book in the series, A Heart For Freedom was released 2017. A lifelong student of history, her love of writing fiction grew out of a desi ...more

A Heart Set Free (2 books)
  • A Heart Set Free