Jump to ratings and reviews

Girl #2

Runaway Girl

It’s Naomi Clemons’s big day. Her dream wedding. And she’s outta here.

One moment. A chance meeting of gazes through the church window pane with someone familiar who radiates intrigue. Independence. It’s the final push Naomi needs to realize...she’s boring. A blonde, cookie cutter, well mannered trophy wife-to-be. How can she expect to lead a fulfilling married life when she’s never lived?

Special Forces diver Jason Bristow needs a beauty pageant coach. Not for himself—although the tattooed bruiser could definitely use some charm. For his little sister who he has returned to St. Augustine, Florida to raise. When a beautiful southern debutante lands on his doorstep, she awakens a hunger that won’t be ignored. If only she wasn’t planning on winning back the ex-fiancé she left at the altar…

Despite the potential for ruin, heat continues to build between Naomi and Jason beneath the sultry Florida sunshine, consuming them both. But they’re on borrowed time…and it’s about to run out.

264 pages, Hardcover

First published September 24, 2018

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Tessa Bailey

78 books34.9k followers
New York Times Bestselling author Tessa Bailey can solve all problems except for her own, so she focuses those efforts on stubborn, fictional blue collar men and loyal, lovable heroines. She lives on Long Island avoiding the sun and social interactions, then wonders why no one has called. Dubbed the “Michelangelo of dirty talk,” by Entertainment Weekly, Tessa writes with spice, spirit, swoon and a guaranteed happily ever after. Catch her on TikTok at @authortessabailey or check out tessabailey.com for a complete list of books.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
197 (3%)
1 star
50 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 612 reviews
Profile Image for Melanie.
1,156 reviews97.7k followers
August 5, 2021
1.) Getaway Girl ★★★★

“This is it. This is the kiss I’ll think about for decades to come, maybe longer. I can feel it ruining me with every mash of his lips against mine...”

After me and my friends completely fell in love with Tessa Bailey’s dirty talk, we devoured Getaway Girl in a day and we knew we had to finish off this duology together. These stories are about the aftermath of what happens when a wedding gets called off. In Getaway Girl, we follow the would have been groom, but in Runaway Girl we follow the girl who left him at the altar and fled to start a brand new life in Florida.

Naomi - A woman who has had her life predetermined for her for as long as she can remember. From finishing schools, to the pageant scene, Naomi hasn’t ever been able to do what she wants, only what is expected from her. That is, until she runs away from her wedding at the start of Getaway Girl.

Jason - A man who is trying his best to take care of his little sister, after his parents bailed on them both because of grief. He is also a Special Forces diver, trying to live with his own PTSD from the military.

Birdie - The girl getting coached by Naomi to enter the pageant scene, while also dealing and living with the loss of her sister, and also the star of Halfway Girl! Also, she is diabetic, and I really loved seeing that rep in this story.

And these three characters are intertwined when Birdie needs someone to help her win a pageant and get some closure after losing her twin, who really wanted to win a pageant, and she thinks that she needs the help of Naomi to do! So, this story is all about Naomi’s two months in Florida, and everything that unfolds while the events of Getaway Girl were also taking place.

I just really loved Naomi and I loved seeing her want to live her life for herself and not her family or society’s expectations. I loved watching her come into her own power, with her sex life and her everyday life. And I also really loved how there was no shaming of pageants or making her feel lesser because of her looks or things that brought her joy. I was so scared that it was going to be a storyline, but it wasn’t, it was just accepted and embraced, and I loved it completely.

And if you have been on this wild journey with me and my friends, you will know that we are all literally obsessed with Tessa Bailey’s sex scenes, and Runaway Girl is no different, they are truly unparalleled. They are very dirty and very explicit, so use caution because I know that isn’t for everyone, and that’s valid. But if you do want to venture into something a little steamier, than I can’t recommend Tessa, and everything she’s written, any stronger.

“Understand I want to drink it out of your belly button. Want to warm it on that perfect skin, sip it into my mouth, then let it drip out all over your pussy.”

Overall, I really enjoyed this one, and Tessa Bailey is the queen of dirty talk, without question, but I just didn’t love the end of this one. It’s a trope that a lot of readers don’t like, and I think many people who read my reviews won’t like it either, so use caution!

Blog | Instagram | Youtube | Ko-fi | Spotify | Twitch

Content and Trigger Warnings: talk of loss of a loved one, grief depiction, PTSD depiction, and depression.
Profile Image for Cristiina♡Reads.
574 reviews3,281 followers
September 27, 2018
➳When the unexpected becomes what you most crave, Jason and Naomi become the power couple filled with lust and adoration towards each other in this emotionally, and passionate captivating romance novel...

➳You know when you see and read reviews hyping an author you have never read before, and you become curious and add it to your TBR, but then you are like "hmmm, I don't know," and remove said book from your TBR, well that's what happened to me with Tessa Bailey and I regret my past actions of not reading Getaway Girl when I had the chance. But once this unexpected beauty landed in my correspondence and I opened the package, I knew it was destiny telling me to give Tessa a chance, since she is a New Yorker after all and I ended up finding out she lives about twenty-minutes away from me. And I mean, let's talk about this cover. We cannot deny that this cover is beyond beautiful and if you decide to pass out on this book and not read it, then your tastes in romance covers has some serious reconsideration to be done... That being said, there is also no denying that this synopsis is what drew me in instantly. I never thought that Getaway Girl was related to Runaway Girl, but once reading it and reading the synopsis of GR, I knew that they were connected so ya'll know what my next read is...

➳Let me talk about one of my turn-offs when it comes down to romance novels... That is an arrogant asshole who believes he can get any girl he wants, anytime, anywhere. Especially guys who give off that vibe and are just complete jerks in every way. Jason Bistrow is no exception when it comes down to the ideal description of a jerk. But, what makes him different to any other jerks I have read in the past and I have never ended up liking, is that Jason has a past that has made me gooey in the knees and made me crave his touch, his adoration towards protecting those he most cares about, no matter what the issue at hand may be. An unexpected twist and turn makes the appearance of Naomi something that Jason did not see coming hit him right where his life most wanted him not to. No matter though, Naomi becomes an individual in which he finds comfort and a sense of crave towards her mind, soul, and physical attribution.

➳Now, Naomi is a totally different individual in which I, myself, did not see coming once entering this novel. High maintained because her life revolved around money, charity events, a southern belle really, Naomi is about to get married for the purpose of keeping an appearance for the sake of her family. Being groomed to be a constant beauty pageant winner, sustained by family money, to be married away to another individual with family money and soon to be the mayor of the small town where she lives, Naomi soon realizes that this type of life is the life she does not want to be a part of. She wants to properly live a life that has been in the back of her mind to indulge with and make mistakes, regrets, actions in which she can go back to and properly reminisce. After leaving her soon to be husband at the altar, Naomi runs away to find a life that she hopes she can properly enjoy. Her encounter with Jason, and his little sister Birdie is one she did not expect, but becomes the one thing in her mind and life that she soon learns she cannot live without. Especially when the physical attraction that she has towards Jason is one that makes her body crave him more than anything she has ever experienced before;
"There's nothing polite or reserved about the way Jason kisses me. It's earthy. Messy. He's hungry and the femininity is his dinner. He feasts on it with purposeful drives of his tongue, the turning of his head in a dance with mine so our mouths are forced to reposition, mate again, sink into a rhythm, stop and do it all over again..."

➳Sometimes, risking your time as a reader and getting to read a new author with an unexpected story is worth everything, Especially when a book such as Runaway Girl becomes one of your favorites this year. One that you cannot pass over and miss the adventure that is Naomi and Jason. And I mean, there is nothing wrong with drooling over a dirty, ex-military man, with a hurting past that makes him crave the sooth and gentle touch of his partner. Overall, Tessa Bailey has out-done herself in this miraculous and powerful romance novel that will hit your heart in the best kind of way.

➳ARC kindly provided by the author in exchange for an honest review...

➳Follow Me On:
BlogInstagramFacebookTwitter
Profile Image for Bibi.
1,282 reviews3,323 followers
July 16, 2021
Aww, shucks...*dabs face with dainty handkerchief*

Jason is one of the most memorable heroes I’ve read in a while and I abso-loved how Naomi came into her own. Now, this is how you do running away (looking at you Touching Sin by J. Saman)
Profile Image for Chelsea (chelseadolling reads).
1,471 reviews19.1k followers
June 21, 2019
I still adore Tessa Bailey with every fiber of my soul, but this was NOT for me. The writing was great and the sex scenes were fire, but I could not get over how gross and possessive the love interest was. There was one point where he literally takes his own shirt off to cover the main character because he didn't want her showing off her body 🙄🖕🏼 like can we not with that bs please. This book also ends with one of my least favorite romance tropes ever so this was clearly just not meant to be for me lmao

Buddy read with Melanie, Jane, & Madalyn <3
Profile Image for Lana ❇✾DG Romance❇✾.
1,987 reviews11.7k followers
September 8, 2018
5 STARS

A quirky & witty souther belle that's as proper as she is endearing?

A grumpy, sexy and possessive Pouty Man Bear?

Enough sexual tension to makes your loins tighten?

A sweet and sizzling romance that will put a smile on your face and keep it there?

This book. Oh man. You guys, this book! It was everything I've come to expect from the amazing Tessa Bailey and so much more. I thought I loved Getaway Girl, but this book was even better. It was full of swoony feels, sizzling sexy times, incredibly endearing characters, and Bailey's patented dirty talk that will make any ovary within a 50 mi radius quiver at the mere mention of Jason.

Actual footage of me reading this book:

And don't you judge me either!
I’m ready to take what I want. What I need. And he’s right behind me, watching, needing me back. Ready for his own seismic shift.

If you read Getaway Girl, you may remember Naomi as Elija's runaway bride. And while you know that appearances aren't quite what they seem with her and she's not the rich and prim southern belle that she first comes across at, you really get to know her here. And let me tell you, she's an impossible heroine not to love. I'm not typically a fan of the prim and proper heroines, but there's just something so endearing about Naomi. She's this adorable combination of vulnerability and strength. I loved watching her grow from a woman that lives to please everyone else and keep up appearances to someone that takes what she wants.
I need her. I want to fucking drown in her.

Jason.
raaaaaaarrrrr
This man. YUM. He was absolutely delicious. Every grumpy and scowly inch of him. And let's pretend that scowly is a word for the purposes of this review, mkay? Moving on. He's a Special Forces diver that comes back to take care of his younger sister after a tragedy strikes his family. His sister enters a beauty pageant she has no hope of winning. Naomi is a pageant queen that's in dire need of a job and no real skill set. Opportunity meet fate.

Sparks fly between Naomi and Jason immediately. And if you like a slow burn that will make you want to rip your arm hairs out one by one and have a smoke afterwards, you will LOVE this book. And I love me some slow burn. The sexual tension here is so thick, you can cut it with a knife and rub it all over your body. OK, I think I'm going too far here. But you know what I mean.
Wrap your thighs around me and hold on.
I don’t come like a gentleman.”

Did I mention the dirty talk? Because OMG the dirty talk!!

I loved everything about this book. I really loved Birdie and Jason's relationship with his sister and seeing how much he's willing to do for her. I loved the budding kinship form between Naomi and Birdie. And the romance? GAH! Perfection in a way that only Tessa Bailey can write. An absolute must read that's full of humor, feels, and hot as sin sexy times!

ARC courtesy of author in exchange for an honest review

Find me on:
Follow me on facebook Follow Me on Twitter blog
Profile Image for Pavlina Read more sleep less blog  .
2,434 reviews4,554 followers
September 24, 2018
Live Amazon

❤5 hot stars ❤

What a fantastic story, I wish I had more.I loved everything about Runaway Girl.Tessa Bailey delivers a heartwarming,fun and super hot story.

description

I loved Naomi and Jason so much, they were perfect for each other.They have an amazing banter full of tension and they were flirty and teasing each other.And omg the sex scenes were super hot, seriously I wouldn't read this book in a public place lol.I felt so connected to Naomi, she is perfect funny and strong.Jason is sexy and bloody.He knew what he wanted from the beginning.

I just found my new favorite couple!If you are looking for a hot and sensual romance, a hero who will keep you on edge and a fantastic heroine this is perfect for you!

Profile Image for Jennifer Kyle.
2,341 reviews4,597 followers
October 21, 2018
4.5 Stars

A very enjoyable read with a likable runaway bride who becomes a pageant coach and falls hard for a sexy vet who’s caring for his younger sister.

Well done Tessa Bailey!

description
Profile Image for Isabella. R.
737 reviews1,328 followers
October 8, 2020
5 Beauty Queen and Budweiser Stars ⭐

The Neanderthal and Southern Belle. Bloody hell I enjoyed this one. I couldn't tell you which character I loved most, but I certainly swooned the entire time.

"I don’t want to be boring forever."

Runaway Bride Naomi Clemons is on a mission to find herself. This is how she comes to leaving her fiance at the alter and completely uprooting her life. Now driving aimlessly she needs to figure out how to support herself. Finding work, something totally foreign, will be her ticket to freedom. And it's how she lands the job as a beauty pageant coach.

Jason Bristow is special forces who has taken a temporary leave of absence to be with his sister. As they navigate the grief of losing a sibling, his sister Birdie decides to enter a beauty pageant to honour the memory of her twin. Out of his depth, he reluctantly hires Naomi even though they constantly lock horns.

"This isn’t going to work."

"We are midway through introductions, sir. You haven’t even taken my hand yet.”

"Don’t plan to."

I’ve never been more tempted to stomp a foot. "Take the hand."

Considering this woman doesn't fit into his life, Naomi instantly makes a positive difference. Her presence provides a lightness Jason and Birdie desperately need. Not to mention their chemistry and the way she makes Jason feel is undeniable. Too bad she intends on going back to ex when she finds herself...

"You want to be kissed, beauty queen?"

A sound wells up in her throat. "I don’t know," she breathes, letting me ease her toward the door. "I-I’m supposed to be mad."

For Naomi, this adventure is temporary. Except she hadn't expected to feel alive, appreciated and so so sexual. It's only a matter of time before Jason re-enlists, and she will be forced to return home to face the music. On borrowed time, they decide to live in the moment and enjoy each other.

"How did you appear out of thin air and do this to me, huh? Get me so hard. Get in my head. Make me so fucking hot." I bat her right ass cheek with my palm, listening to her moan as the smack lingers in the warm sea air. "Look at you. Sexiest woman on this fucking earth."

As their affair comes to a head, both will have to take a leap of faith in order to permanently keep what they have. One grand gesture required! Which ultimately is a no brainer since they are amazing together.

Runaway Girl had the sweetest storyline and was amusing, witty and damn hot. A little Beauty and the Beast, but every time in each other's presence they sizzled.
Profile Image for Alex ♈.
1,568 reviews1,140 followers
December 13, 2018

Despite all odds I enjoyed this book.
The heroine wasn't a doormat and apart from her going back to her 'obligations' at the end + her attempt to make it good with her ex, she was ok!

Color me surprised, but I liked the hero too. It was amazing how he lusted after her, I like when men not only 'play cool', but show their feelings. His obsession with the heroine was hot. And he came to her at the end, he fought for her! *swoon*

If not for unplanned pregnancy and him telling her, that her pussy would miss her new daddy 🙄😖🙄 (meaning his penis), I would have rated it with 3.5 stars.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Alba and Her Secrets..♥.
792 reviews1,001 followers
September 25, 2018
5 'Never ending Adventure' Stars!

You know that feeling you get when you have finished a bloody amazing read? That is what is happening to me right now. Same thing I felt when I finished Getaway Girl. My emotions are still running high, there is a huge smile on my face and I am melted all over the place. Runaway Girl, again, is proof of why I love Tessa Bailey's novels and characters so much: it was the perfect read. Naomi and Jason and their smoking hot and swoony love story still have me sighing with happiness. Gaaaaah, this was SO freaking good!

So, Runaway Girl is Tessa's newest release and it's a standalone book that has as a main character a woman we already met on Getaway Girl (and yes, even though you don't have to read it to read this one, I highly recommend it because it's just as excellent!). This is the story of Naomi Clemons, a runaway bride that escapes her own wedding when she reflects and finds she has never lived her life, and Jason Bristow, a tattoed Special Forces diver who is taking care of his sister and needs a beauty pageant coach for her. Naomi literally falls on his doorstep and that moment is about to change their lives forever.

“I don’t want to be boring forever.”

Of course, I am not surprised I enjoyed this book. This is Tessa Bailey, people. I know her style, I adore her stories and her characters are to die for. But what still surprises me with this author's releases is that everytime (no exceptions) my focus does not slip from the story at any moment: I enjoy so much everything that happens, whenever and however it happens. Why? Because of how the couple has me in love with them from the very first page. The connection between Jason and Naomi, even when it feels a bit forbidden, is just perfection. And that also is because they are amazing as individuals as well as they are a couple.

There’s nothing polite or reserved about the way Jason kisses me. It’s earthy. Messy. He’s hungry and my femininity is his dinner.

“Whose pussy is this, woman?” [...] “Who do you get on your hands and knees for?”
“You,” I scream into the pillow.
“Who would get on his hands and knees for you?”

Jason.. Jason, Jason, Jason.. I can't stop thinking about the man. He is an intense, sexy AF man bear with an enourmous heart. He feels very protective of his sister Birdie, especially after everything that has happened to them. And that also translates into Naomi when he starts feeling something for her. And, if you have read Tessa Bailey before, do not doubt for a single second that the man is sex on legs too. A fabulous dirty talker that knows how to use that massive body of his. God, I need a fan! But you know what is even better about him? He also is unexpectedly sweet. A man that loves to protect the woman he loves and give her everything that is him. Can you tell how much I love Jason Bristow?

And of course, such an outstanding hero needs the same kind of endearing company. Naomi seems fragile at the start but get ready because she is decided to change her life and she will do it. It was great to see her blooming. She already is a strong woman but her time in Florida, in an ordinary environment and with the company of Jason and his adorable sister, helps Naomi see the life she really wants. She does not want to be a Stepford wife, she wants to be independent and she wants to be loved. And she finds all of that (and so much more) in Jason. They truly are a magnificent couple and I am so glad they got that beautiful ending!

“Come on, beauty queen. Revive me.”

Therefore, my rating for Runaway Girl is 5 STARS because this sizzling romance clicked all my boxes and made me fall in love again with Tessa's stories and characters. It had everything: an exceptional couple, slow burn romance, off-the charts sex and dirty talking and lots of emotions in between. Again, together with Addison and Elijah, Jason and Naomi are on my top favorite couples by this author. Yes, they are that amazing! So, if all my love and banter about this novel hasn't convinced you yet, I don't know what will. Guys, do yourselves a favor and read this book. Trust me, you will not regret it. Highly recommend!

CHECK OUT MY BLOG HERE:
Profile Image for V.B. Book Reviews.
831 reviews369 followers
June 27, 2019
6 Beauty Queen and Blackbeard Stars!!!

“You want an adventure?” He takes my face in his hands. “Let me help give it to you.”

photo 1103F186-7BE0-4922-A3F2-BD4146BB89C2_zps56nxmiwh.jpeg

OMFG...plop! Dead. Why didn't I read this book sooner?! My absolute #1 favorite Tessa Bailey read ever!!! Absolute PERFECTION!!!

There's nothing I love more than a journey for self discovery in a romance novel where the heroine (or hero) meets their soulmate along the way. This book had a very The Edge of Never vibe to it...one of my all-time favorites!!

By the time we meet Naomi in this story, we already know exactly who she is, since she's the runaway bride whose actions launched the story in Getaway Girl. She lands in St. Augustine and is determined to find adventure, a job, oh and maybe herself?

"I’m a cookie-cutter, boring-as-beige debutante who’s never lived outside of the staunch parameters laid out for her. I haven’t experienced anything, unless someone planned it for me. I’m not interesting or worthy of anyone’s undivided attention."

What she doesn't expect is to fall head on into the life of grumpy, alpha, half man/half bear like she called him Jason Bristow.

"Not merely shirtless, however. He’s indecently shirtless. There’s a lit cigar in the corner of his clamped together lips. Dangerous, considering there’s enough black hair on his chest to start a forest fire if one single ember should escape. Lord, I thought men his size only existed in the Bible. Built for fighting lions in dens or carrying giant stone tablets down from the mountaintop. Jason is a modern version of a Bible warrior in a peeled down wetsuit that wraps far, far too low on his hips for decent company. And the tattoos. They’re everywhere."

To say that Jason is a HAWT hunk of man is a massive understatement. He is definitely Tessa's hottest hero yet. Maybe because he's exactly my type but god DAMN was this man all kinda sexy!

"Before you tell me I'm nice for buying you wine..." he rasps into my hair. "Understand I want to drink it out of your belly button. Want to warm it on that perfect skin, sip it into my mouth, then let it drip out all over your pussy."

photo 19344086_zpsvexi9bfo.gif

“You haven’t completely cut ties with your last relationship, but if you can kiss me the way you did, as far as I’m concerned, they’re fucking cut. I want them cut.”

The dynamic here is the whole, we (seemingly) don't have much time together so let's make the best of every minute we have. I am a total goner and masochist for that kind of trope and this story knocks that trope out of the damn park!!!

Naomi was endearing, funny, sweet and compassionate. I didn't once get annoyed with her...something HUGE for me with heroines lately. I actually felt her struggle and the legitimate reasoning for the forces working against them.

This book checked every single box for me.
Gorgeous setting - set mainly in St. Augustine, Florida.
Amazing character development - check.
Overwhelming passion and romance that will fill your heart to the brim- check!
Explosive, off the charts, panty-combusting steam - CHECK!!
Sweet tenderness and intimacy - check
A tender but alpha male hero that will steal your heart and never give it back - CHECK!!!

Oh, and Jason Bristow?

photo 8901672_zpsh2oxyhwr.gif

He is officially one of my absolute top fave heroes now and will be very difficult to top. I adored the way he loved her!

"You challenged me to be more. I’m more because of you, but I’m nothing—nothing—without you.”

If you haven't read this gem yet, do yourself a favor and gobble it up. <3
Profile Image for Stacey.
1,447 reviews1,162 followers
October 22, 2018
It really was AMAZING!!

I am running so LATE!!!! I stayed in bed to finish this one off this morning and now I'm running late for work. But, it was so worth it. Runaway Girl was 100 times better than I thought it would be. The characters were real and so engaging, the storyline kept my attention from start to finish and the heat was...nope...I can't even tell you how good the heat was. Let's just say...Jason, Jason, Jason...

I could completely dedicate this review to Jason. He's my hero but I'm pretty sure he'll be everyone's hero after reading this little treat. I can't even express how much he is the FULL PACKAGE!! Tall, gruff, muscly, bearded, tattooed and HOT!! Add in that he's possessive (maybe an inch to the extreme but he has reasons), bossy and in total control, well, as I said...FULL PACKAGE!!

I started Runaway Girl not sure I'd enjoy it. After all, I'd "met" Naomi when she ditched her fiance Elijah, at the altar. And, I loved Elijah and Addison together, so I thought that I wouldn't like Naomi for what she'd done to hurt my man at the time (Elijah). There was this little bit of me that held out hope though. That scene when she comes to apologise to Elijah made me think she wasn't the Barbie Princess I thought she was going to be. Naomi ended up being a beautiful person inside and out.

I really have to stop here because I have 2 MINUTES to finish my coffee, brush my teeth, put lipstick on, fluff my hair, see my boys off AND do a jig (well I don't need to but I HAVE TO because I haven't done my happy dance from reading this awesome story yet). If I get time after work, I'll come back, edit and add some more mushy-gushy goodness about JASON!!

Seriously, though, YOU HAVE GOT TO BUY AND READ THESE BOOKS. Tessa Bailey is a bloody LEGEND!!
Profile Image for Melanie (mells_view).
1,684 reviews311 followers
September 24, 2018
Runaway Girl was everything I expected and so much more than that as well. It’s a fun read. It’s also hot as all get out, but what I didn’t expect was how deeply emotional and beautiful it was. I don’t want to say TOO much, because I think going in sort of blind-ish makes the ride all the more fun, but what I will say is that Naomi’s story teaches us that it’s never too late to figure out who you really are. It doesn’t hurt if you get to unexpectedly fall in love while figuring all that out either!

I loved Naomi. I loved her journey, and the people that come into her life just when she needs them. Tessa Bailey once again makes even the most mundane things seem so important with her writing. Very detailed without being too much. Getting you right into the story, and falling quickly for the characters! My only complaint is that this book is over. I want to stay in the “girl” world forever haha. Are there anymore siblings hiding out there? 😂

^ fan teaser on IG!

*ARC Runaway Girl is Coming 9/24!*
Profile Image for Syndi.
2,799 reviews617 followers
October 26, 2021
Runaway Girl reminds me of It Happened One Summer. Both by Miss Bailey. I like them both. I have to admit Miss Bailey slowly growing on me.

What makes Runaway Girl attractive to me is Naomi. I cannrelate to her. Her family, her loneliness and her desperation. Miss Bailey adding humor here and there. It makes the whole book enjoayable to read.

The sexual tension is also hot. Really steamy. A bit dirty. The banter is also fun and sassy. Especially how Naomi stands her own ground against Jason.

Overall a wonderful read.

4 stars
Profile Image for Malene.
1,172 reviews499 followers
June 19, 2021
Tessa Bailey writes steam and dirty talk like no one else. I got my needs met and more with The Runaway Girl. Jason is one of many reasons why I enjoy a Tessa Bailey book. Grumpy, tattooed, kind hearted and a very dirty mouth. Yes please. He wooed me big time. Naomi needed to rediscover herself, new adventures and she certainly got those thanks to Jason and his sister Birdy. They were so much fun.
Naomi and Jason had palpable and jump off the page chemistry. Naomi started out as molded mannequin thanks to her parents but evolved and took charge of her own needs and destiny.
The story was fast paced and maybe too insta lust for my usual liking but here I didn’t care.
I had such a great time reading The Runaway Girl thanks to three amazing characters.

4 Blackbeard Stars
Profile Image for Misha.
334 reviews74 followers
July 4, 2022
Rereading for the ten thousandth time. Jason is so... hot. I don't want anyone but him. He's my ideal Cowboy Energy™️ man. This is my all-time favorite Tessa Bailey book. Too bad it's one of her less popular releases— y'all missing out.

The way Tessa Bailey writes men is so hot in this fucking hilarious, campy way. Like… this man power lifts in his garage with a cigar between his teeth. And he’s a Special Forces Diver, 6’5”, absolutely jacked, and constantly rocking a sweaty or ocean-wet hairy chest. I literally gasped at everything he said. Every sentence. The shit that came out of his mouth… Jason was so fucking hot. His… severe masculinity had me in a chokehold lmao. I can’t…

”Who do you get on your hands and knees for?”
“You,” I scream into the pillow.
...
“Who would get on his hands and knees for you?”

Bye.

Jason and Naomi were perfect together. I loved them. I loved Birdie— I pictured her as Saoirse Ronan as Lady Bird from Lady Bird. These characters were just so easy to root for— they were so real.

This is very similar to It Happened One Summer. If you loved that one, you’ll love this. I just— how does Tessa Bailey make things so hot yet so heartfelt?
Profile Image for Emma.
122 reviews88 followers
November 22, 2018
Dnf
Loved the sweet hero. but that's about it. I skimmed trying to enjoy some of his swoon worthy thoughts about his woman. Said woman was what she believed she is, boring. The sex scenes were Ott a la Alexa Riley style, meaning, they were laughable. Definitely not for me.
Profile Image for Wendy'sThoughts.
2,632 reviews3,209 followers
August 13, 2020
5 So Good Stars
* * * * Spoiler Free
I have a confession to make...I read this a while ago and I have no idea as to why I didn't review it. I bought the book, devoured it and couldn't stop till it was finished. It was like that perfect meal where you inhale it and it was so satisfying. Anyway, Tessa Bailey worked her magic and I was under her spell.

She covered so much in this story; she had the main character, Naomi, realizing she was not supposed to marry the man she thought. She took one look at her "other side of the tracks half-sister" and knew that woman had lived a life. It may not have been pretty or perfect according to her family's standards, but she knew who she was. Naomi didn't know who she was...and needed to get the hell away.

We go on this journey with her and along the way she finds herself, her strength, her talents, and the man she finally understands who she is and wants her for the right reasons.

We also get Jason who is trying to do right by his younger sister, Birdie. He is the poster child for grumpy, unrefined, and a little lost when it comes to figuring out how to help his sis. He was a Special Forces diver, out in the elements, scratching and grunting like all the other guys, so when his sister wants to be in a beauty pageant he has to figure out how to make it happen...cuz that is what Special Forces Guys do- make sh!t happen.

Naomi stumbles into the same town as Jason and his sister. She is looking for work, but what...she never held a job of any sort. When she sees an ad for a pageant coach she knows OMG, this is perfect. Naomi can do this in her sleep. With all the pageants she was in and won, whoever placed this ad is one lucky gal.

The meeting between Naomi and Jason is classic...Beauty and Beast classic...and when Birdie shows her face and who she is... it is better than perfect. Grunge/Punk/Goth meets Pageant.

What does happen is a meeting of the minds between all 3 of them. We learn of the whys for Birdie wanting to participate in the pageant, the family dynamic between Jason and his sis and Oh, My the Sparks and Want between Jason and Naomi.

CLASSIC TESSA BAILEY... the best.

I loved this book and it was a surprise because Naomi was not a winner in the first book. This series has been so much fun with Tessa Bailey being in her groove, her sexy, dirty talking, heartwarming groove.

Getaway Girl (Girl, #1) by Tessa Bailey Getaway Girl, (Girl, #1)
Runaway Girl (Girl, #2) by Tessa Bailey Runaway Girl, (Girl, #2)
Halfway Girl (Girl, #2.5) by Tessa Bailey Halfway Girl, (Girl, #2.5)

For more Reviews, Free E-books and Giveaways
Profile Image for Lacey (laceybooklovers).
1,989 reviews9,753 followers
August 24, 2018
I had been so excited for Naomi's story since we met her in Getaway Girl, and I adored her transformation from future trophy wife into an empowered, independent woman. You definitely need to read this if you liked Getaway Girl!

Full review to come!

Thanks to the author for generously providing me an ARC to review.
Profile Image for The Sassy Bookworm.
3,265 reviews2,272 followers
May 2, 2019
I liked this one. I loved Jason and Birdie, but the heroine annoyed me a bit.
Profile Image for Gi's Spot Reviews.
1,073 reviews1,152 followers
September 23, 2018
5 ‘Smoking Hot Perfection’ Stars

Runaway Girl is EVERYTHING! Written perfection from first to last page! All the emotions, all the scorching chemistry and that beautiful heart pulling ending were beyond PERFECT!!! All the stars for all of my TOP fav reads of the year, and another all time fav Tessa Bailey!<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Full review to follow...

ARC kindly provided by the author for an honest review
Profile Image for nick (the infinite limits of love).
2,119 reviews1,326 followers
May 24, 2021

I loved it! I was having a hard time getting into books right before I read this one and it completely sucked me into the story. Tessa Bailey knows how to write steaming hot chemistry and Jason and Naomi could set a room on fire! They were so hot together! I can't even mention the sex scenes without having to fan myself. I loved watching Naomi become independent and having the adventure of a lifetime! She won the lottery with Jason and Birdie!

Now I have to go back and read Addison and Elijah's book!
Profile Image for Tracy  C.
537 reviews37 followers
March 3, 2019
Tessa Bailey really knows how to bring the sexy. She excels in a dirty talking alpha and I am so here for it! Jason was so fantastic. His self discovery was spot on and his willingness to grow and change, even as an adult, made him such a great character. Poor Naomi felt rudderless. She felt like she was nothing without her family to tell her what to do or how to be. Her adventures (and Jason and Birdie) ultimately showed her that she had so much to offer. My heart just broke for them when the pageant was over and I had all the feels when they both came to their senses!
Profile Image for b.andherbooks.
2,055 reviews872 followers
January 15, 2022
I LOVE THIS BOOK. I've re-read and re-listened to it more times than I've actually counted on here. Jason and Naomi are my trope-tonite and I give them my whole heart.

I tweeted about why here

Runaway Girl was one of my favorite books of 2018, and listening to it again on audio was such a treat. I realized I never gave this the full review treatment and I need to rectify that!

Basically this book destroyed me in the best possible way. May be one of my favorite Tessa Bailey's, which is saying a lot. A full review to come closer to the publication date, but make sure to get this one on your TBR immediately.

Southern Belle beauty queen on the run from a loveless marriage finds refuge and a calling at the home of a grumpy, bearded Special Forces hero and his spectacular teen-aged sister. Loved it.

Also, my ovaries are now exploded, so thank you for that Bailey!

According to Goodreads this is my fourth re-read but I don't think that's accurate, but hey I'm going to roll with it.

I'm learning about myself as a reader that I adore intensely character focused romance novels. I love it when 90% of the story is the main characters subsumed with their feelings and emotions about each other. This is a perfect example of this.

Also, the "we only have this xx amount of time" is a favorite trope of mine. That slightly forbidden, I'm free now but now always just hits me in my EMOTIONS.

CW: gender essentialist language, smoking, heroine is 'on a break' from her fiancee, scary scuba diving incident RE a shark, unprotected sex, pregnancy.
Profile Image for Ginny Rose.
528 reviews27 followers
August 20, 2018
I'm going to switch this from a review to a letter.

Dear Tessa Bailey,

Addison= Getaway Girl
Naomi= Runaway Girl
Ginny (me)= RUINED GIRL

Are you proud of yourself? You have ruined me with this book. It was amazing. Incredible. I loved it from start to finish. I did not know what to expect, and you truly just blew my mind away with these characters, this story.

When you introduced Naomi in Getaway Girl I knew there was more to her than the Southern Belle. Her voiced needed to heard and it was so much better than I expected. Then you added the epitome of pouty, broody, and sexy when Jason came along. Gosh, that man. THAT man! You're making me want to leave my town and go to Florida. Wait, I need a moment. Pause, please. OK. I'm back.

Anyway, you ruined me. I lost sleep, because of Naomi. You destroyed, underthings thanks to Jason. But you owned me in such a good way. So, yes. Be proud of yourself. Because this book was worth EVERYTHING you ruined.

Ruined Girl (Ginny)

Readers: This book is AMAZING...
It's refreshing as it redeeming. It's a testament to every person out there needing to remember they are truly worth who they are if only they take a step. Trust yourself and believe that everything starts when you Runaway and embark on that adventure.
Profile Image for hala.
354 reviews137 followers
January 28, 2023
✩ 2 stars.

elijah > jason
Profile Image for em.
366 reviews1,160 followers
September 30, 2018
“Never thought I’d say this after a month of hell, but you were… you are worth every minute of the torture.”

This. THIS.

This book was completely and absolutely unexpected.
Never read anything by Tessa Bailey, despite having seen her books around a lot. Unexpectedly, I loved her writing. Unexpectedly, I ended up devouring Runaway Girl and adoring each and every element of this romance. I would have never expected how steamy it was and yet, how emotional and how easily I connected with all the characters. There is literally not one thing I didn't like.

You guys know how military heroes and alphas are my sweet spot, but all that rolled up in a character like Jason, that cherishes and kisses the ground Naomi walks on and thinks she is so out of his league he'd be the luckiest bastard in the world if she would only look his way? WELL. Just call the firefighters because my heart might have caught fire, will you?

Anyway. Runaway Girl is sizzling, super steamy, emotional and the perfect amount of angsty. This one is definitely one of my favourite romances this year.
Profile Image for julia.
754 reviews157 followers
January 24, 2022
𝟬𝟱/𝟮𝟬𝟭𝟵 ~ 𝟱 𝘀𝘁𝗮𝗿𝘀
𝟬𝟭/𝟮𝟬𝟮𝟮 ~ 𝟰 𝘀𝘁𝗮𝗿𝘀

was this the book that caused me to create my pull-out-game-was-not-strong shelf? it's definitely a high possibility.

❝A baby.❞ My voice is hoarse. ❝You’re pregnant with my baby.❞
Her hand falls away. ❝That night in the driveway…❞
Watching her lower lip tremble, I make a low sound.
❝I-I…was I trying to keep you with me somehow?❞

This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 612 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.