Start by marking “A Heritage of Death (Reverend Cici Gurule Mysteries, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Heritage of Death (Reverend Cici Gurule Mysteries, #2)

A Heritage of Death

(Reverend Cici Gurule Mysteries #2)

"The pace was excellent with lots of story strands woven into an intricate plot that left you guessing, second guessing and even third guessing. There were some unexpected twists all wrapped up in a writing style that was both easy to read and that also had a lovely flow to it." ~ The Wandering Bookaholic

An unconventional woman. A brutal murder. To solve the cas

Published October 23rd 2018 by Sidecar Press, LLC

To ask other readers questions about A Heritage of Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Heritage of Death

Start your review of A Heritage of Death (Reverend Cici Gurule Mysteries, #2)
Shelleen Toland
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-read
Cici Gurule wants to pretend her dream is nothing more than a meaningless nightmare. But the bruised and bloodied woman looked alarmingly like her. When a baby turns up on her porch — a baby who was reported missing days before — evidence points to a connection with the woman in Cici's dream, and she can no longer ignore the nighttime vision. Cici and Detective Sam Chastain struggle to follow the garbled evidence, but the killer scores his victim first. Worse, a message pinned to the victim's bl ...more
Cheryl Whitty
Reviewed on http://bookaddict.live,
I have to say I think this book is better the last one, and I thought that was fantastic. We catch up with Cici after she have some disturbing dreams, that seem so real. When she hears her twin’s voice and realizes she is trying to tell something. If you have read the last book you will what happens when Cici starts having visions that begin to come true.
Sam is there supporting Cici as usual as this Harley riding reverend does things her way. This for me was ju
Wendy
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-thriller
Alexa Padgett’s gripping thriller “A Heritage of Death” opens with Reverend Cici Gurule’s dream of a chained and bloody missing woman whose kidnapped baby is left on her porch during a rainstorm. Baptized by Cici she immediately recognizes the ten -month- old as the daughter of Grace and Henry Bruin and is ready to return baby Isabel to her father's protection when she discovers he's accused of the abuse of his wife and that the baby’s guardianship is under dispute.

The plot heats up as Cici wor
Louise H  -  ⭐ Life in the Book Lane Reviews ⭐
***Arc kindly provided by The Wandering Bookaholic***

description

An entertaining read that held my attention throughout.

Every now and then I throw caution to the wind and pick a book from a genre, or by an author, that I am unfamiliar with. This was a double whammy since murder mystery isn't my usual choice, nor have I read this author before. So I had zero 'expectations', though plenty of hopes for this book.

Personally I would have liked a little more romance between the main characters, there is definite
Julie Daneman
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If there is one thing I have learned from the Cici Gurule mysteries, it is that I am too old to start them on a night when finishing requires staying up until 1 or 2 in the morning. And that is what happens with these books! A Heritage of Death grabbed me from the very beginning and did not let go until I finished. Cici is as smart and likeable as ever. The plot twists kept me guessing until the very end - a great thing in a mystery, of course. I'm already salivating over book 3, which you get a ...more
Wickedly  Romance
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received this book for free from in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review. It's been a while since I read a mystery that wasn't part of the romance genre but I have to say I am so glad that I did. This book intrigued me from the very beginning and I just needed to read it. While this is the second book in the series you do not have to read the first in order to know what is going on. Cici has been having some disturbing dreams ...more
Rosemary K
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Reverend Cici Gurule has struggled to accept the death of her twin, but it’s been a difficult journey. Her childhood friend, Detective Sam Chastain, has been there to help. In their own way both Cici and Sam want to save people. I find the relationship between these two fascinating. They both have emotional baggage. I felt Sam’s pain. No one should endure what he did. Cici is driven by dreams from her ghostly twin of a woman chained to a wall with her baby nearby in a crib. Can she and Sam s ...more
Suzy Sims
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Heritage of Death by Alexa Padgett

Reverend Cici Gurule has had another vision of a woman in trouble. Then a baby shows up on her door step in the night. A baby who had been abducted, and now her mother is missing. Cici's visions will lead her best friend Sam to the clues he needs to find the missing mother, but to help solve 30 year old murders as well. But will Cici's visions lead them into a killer's trap?
Cici and Sam continue as a wonderful team of characters in this book by Alexa Padgett.
Bev
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: have-read, own-it
Cici had a strange dream about a baby being left on her doorstep by someone who looks like her only is bruised and bloody. She tries to shake off the dream, but then a baby IS LEFT on her doorstep! This has got to be her dead twin telling her something about a crime. Detective Sam Chastain and Cici try to make sense of the clues, but the killer strikes first and leaves a message pinned on the deceased shirt...."You're next". Now they have to save the baby and Cici as well. Can they figure out th ...more
Denise
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If looking for one filled with plenty of suspense and thrills this one is the stop then. Having read the first one had to see if the mystery was still available or a fluke. Still having the touch I was quickly caught up in wanting to be carted along and writing the clues in my mind trying to also see if I could come up with something also. Cici is a character that has staying power to keep you in from beginning to end.
Rita
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cici delivers good detective work.
Unfortunately this also implies putting
her life at risk. Sam and Cici are, again,
a good and successful team.
I didn't guess the culprit until the ending.
I recommend this book and am looking forward
to number 3.
I received a free copy and voluntarily wrote this
honest review.

Kenneth Lingenfelter
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cici gets dreams and visions sent to her from her dead twin sister. A baby is left on her door step. This leads to visions about Grace being trapped in a basement. Detective Samuel Chastain is looking into the mystery of the baby and looking for the mother. This is a very good mystery that keeps you interested.
Marta Aldrighetti
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cecilia Gurule, called Cici, is the reverend of Santa Fe, New Mexico.
during a rainy night, she found a baby alone, in front of her house door.
Cici and detective Sam Chastain will work together to keep the baby safe and discover the true.
the story could be reading as a stand alone book, it is fast to read, intriguing, scary, action packed, twisted, haunting.

Charity Chimni
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another adventure for Cici and Sam full of mystery and suspense and the slow burn romance that’s brewing between the two. I enjoyed watching Sam and Cici work through their baggage. And begin to trust the connection the Aci. Looking forward to their next adventure and watching their romance grow.
Joanne Hampton
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful series. CiciI's sister was killed and she wanted to find out how and why everything leads to nothing. Sam was police officer trying to find out about her sister also. Cici had sight and the trouble it brought was never ending. A continuing good storyline. I could read this all the time.
Grant Leishman
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018
Reviewed For Readers' Favorite by Grant Leishman

A Heritage of Death (A Reverend Cici Gurule Mystery Book 2) by Alexa Padgett is an adventure into child abuse and murder in the Pueblos of New Mexico. The Reverend Cici Gurule has one special talent that makes her invaluable in solving crimes. Her twin sister was murdered and since then Cici has been receiving visitations and dreams from her late sister that give her clues that assist her to unravel complicated and even unsolved crimes. With her b
BookAddict
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When an infant is left on her doorstep one stormy night, Reverend Cici Gurule once again finds herself immersed in solving a mystery with her best friend and police detective, Sam Chastain. Cici would like nothing better than to live a simple life and minister to her parishioners, but it seems the spirit of her dead twin won’t leave Cici alone and keeps giving Cici clues and visions about the investigation through dreams. Not only is Cici fully involved in the investigation with Sam, there’s the ...more
Asher
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Heritage of Death by Alexa Padgett is the second installment in the Reverend Cici Gurule Mysteries series, preceded by the first book, A Pilgrimage to Death. Heritage reads as a standalone, although skipping over Pilgrimage would be a shame as it's excellent. Cici Gurule returns in this next adventure with an intriguing new puzzle to piece together, beginning with recurring dreams and a missing baby at her front door. She is still grieving the loss of her murdered twin sister, Anna Carmen, and ...more
Jade Simcox (3 Degrees Of Fiction)
This is the first book by Alexa Padgett that I've read and it definatley wont be my last. Although I haven't read the first book in the series it doesn't really matter as they can be read as standalone. But saying that after reading this book, I am definatley going to go back and read book 1.
I loved Cici, I thought maybe being a Reverend we wouldn't be able to relate to her. But that wasn't the case at all. I loved her character, I loved that she still kept the things that she loved in life eve
Lelia Taylor
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: full-reviews
A Heritage of Death is billed as a paranormal mystery and that element is certainly here but Cici's dreams are not the only thing to consider. Her deceased sister was her identical twin and there's just no doubt that the link between twins, especially identicals, is preternatural and can't be fully understood by the rest of us. At any rate, Cici's sister, Aci, is an integral part of the story.

Although Cici is an ordained minister, not a profession that you might expect would be involved with mur
Johnaka- Amity Book Blog
A Heritage of Death by Alexa Padgett
“Are they dreams or are they visions? 3 stars”

First off let me say that this is my first read of Padgett’s but the second in Reverend Gurule mystery series. In no way shape or form do you have to read book one in order to understand A Heritage of Death. With that said I think A Heritage of Death was a solid book and I enjoyed how Padgett took a very serious issue and brought it to light.
Cici has dreams that are actually visions thanks to her dead sister sendin
Kim Owens
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was so incredibly excited to read the second book in the Reverend Cici Mystery series and I can tell you that I was not disappointed. If anything, I enjoyed this book more than the first, and I didn't think that would be possible.
After experiencing some disturbing dreams that CiCi is convinced are brought to her by her dead sister, Anna Carmen, ACi for short, she is off and running to solve another crime.
I love the characters in this series so much! The Harley riding Reverend (who knew?!?!),
Sheila Lee
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another fabulous Cici Gurule mystery! It has been 3 months since Cici discovered her sister's murderer (assisted by Anna Carmen's ghostly influence). In this book, Anna Carmen involves Cici, through a series of visions, in the mysterious kidnapping of a baby. Along the way, the murders of several native American women appear to be tied to the kidnapping. It will take Cici, Sam and several others to determine the identity of the murderer. While the outcome is decided, Cici will face another life ...more
Andrea Thompson
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Brilliant is the word that comes to mind. Exciting. Mysterious. (This one seems a bit obvious, but it can't be overstated.) Entertaining. Cici just wants to live a normal life, but the spirit of her deceased sister, a missing baby appearing on her porch and notes from a killer on his victim just do not produce that outcome. I'm a Cici and Sam fan for life now! The setting is also to die for - if you don't love Santa Fe and the southwest, you might after finishing this.

You do not have to have rea
Ellen White
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
3 nights of nightmares, the visions started after her twin sister died, the frustration and guilt. A bloody woman, chains, child abuse. Contacting Detective Sam, later they find a baby on the door step. Clues are given to her, step by step she takes. Up to Sam to put them together into his investigation.She struggles, will her faith be strong enough, to handle these. An unconventional reverend riding on her motorcycle. New Mexico is a perfect setting, with a touch of the paranormal. The second i ...more
Casey
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I simply can’t get enough of Cici Gurule. Alexa Padget gives us another who done it mystery that keeps you turning the pages. When an author makes you feel like you are part of the story, then you have to keep reading! My only hope is that I don’t have too long to wait for the next story. Cici and Sam have become my new infatuation!
Mary
Jul 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
I am going to write this review for all 3 of the books in this trilogy as I read them all this summer. Not great literature but I had fun reading this series and enjoyed the characters involved. I probably liked Reverend Cici because of her sometimes "irreverent" attitudes. The scrapes she got herself into were far-fetched but kind of fun nonetheless. Easy summer reading.
Kelly-Jo Sweeney
Oct 27, 2018 rated it liked it
I do love a good murder mystery, as you may well know. This one had plenty going for it, with missing women, bodies galore and an investigating team of a local reverend and a policeman that she seems to have a bit of a thing for. So far so good. I liked both Cici (the Reverend) and Sam (the policeman). It's clear that there is an overarching storyline that will involve some kind of romance developing between the two of them. I'm always happy to see a bit of that.

Cici did have an identical twin
Nati
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cici is now having nightmares about a woman chained to a wall and a baby crying. Her dead sister Aci is sending her a message to save this woman. Can Sam believe what Cici is telling him about her dreams? A woman is in danger and they have to find the truth. A gripping novel.
Bec
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh my gosh! 😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍
Absolutely brilliant.. It totally kept me guessing until the very end.. Can’t wait to read what happens in the next book. Alexa Padgett is an amazing writer. Recommend to all.

• A Revelation of Death (A Reverend Cici Gurule Mystery Book 4)
  • Ghost (Andrea Kelley: The Archivist Book 1)
  • The Lake House Secret (A Jenessa Jones Mystery, #1)
  • The Corner Shop
  • Southern Bred and Dead (Southern Ghost Hunter Mysteries, #9)
  • The Wife Upstairs
  • Acts of Mercy (Mercy Temple Chronicles #1)
  • Dark Path (Bodhi King #1)
  • The Select
  • Hook, Line and Blinker (Miss Fortune Mystery #10)
  • Swamp Sniper (Miss Fortune Mystery, #3)
  • Heaven's Crest (The Dragon's Dream #2)
  • Spirits Unbound (The Dragon's Dream Saga Book 4)
  • Project Phoenix (Dragon's Dream #1)
  • Shadows of Olympus (The Dragon's Dream Saga Book 5)
  • Buried Lies (Crimson Point, #2)
  • Deadly Spells and a Southern Belle (Southern Belles and Spells Matchmaker Mystery, #1)
  • Choppy Seas (A Rowan Gray Mystery #5)
With a degree in international marketing and a varied career path that includes content management for a web firm, marketing direction for a high-profile sports agency, and a two-year stint with a renowned literary agency, award-winning author Alexa Padgett has returned to her first love: writing fiction.

Alexa spent a good part of her youth traveling. From Budapest to Belize, Calgary to Coober Ped

Reverend Cici Gurule Mysteries (4 books)
  • A Pilgrimage to Death (Reverend Cici Gurule Mysteries, #1)
  • An Artifact of Death (Reverend Cici Gurule Mysteries, #3)
  • A Revelation of Death (A Reverend Cici Gurule Mystery, #4)

News & Interviews