Start by marking “Goodbye for Now” as Want to Read:
Goodbye for Now

Goodbye for Now

Two brothers, only one survives.

As Europe is torn apart by war, two brothers fight very different battles, and both could lose everything…

While George has always been the brother to rush towards the action, fast becoming a boy-soldier when war breaks out, Joe thinks differently. Refusing to fight, Joe stays behind as a conscientious objector battling against the propaganda
Kindle Edition
Published October 12th 2018 by HQ Digita

To ask other readers questions about Goodbye for Now, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goodbye for Now

Start your review of Goodbye for Now
Lucy Banks
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Poignant and unexpected - obviously a lot of research has gone into this.

The first thing to note about this book is that it's obvious the author has done considerable research into the First World War, which gives it a real sense of authenticity. It's a bittersweet story that details family life in Liverpool during the war, but also examines the pointlessness of it all.

George and Joe are brothers living in Liverpool, though they cou
Julia
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Goodbye For Now by M.J. Hollows is an absolutely heart breaking account of the First World War both at home and at the front. The reader 'lives' throughout the war. We see the futility - everybody loses on both sides. The total waste of life. Young men used as cannon fodder. Young men, even underage signed up believing "It'll be an adventure."
War is not an adventure. War is hard. War changes people, at times they become robotic, believing the lies and propaganda they are told. "The German figure
HattieB
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book really is what the Historical fiction book community has been missing all these years.
Katie Ginger
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can't tell you how much I enjoyed reading this compelling and well-crafted debut from Mike. The writing is beautiful with a great plot and an ending that will make you cry (I did!). A book about the First World War should make you think and make you empathise, and this certainly does.
Written from the perspective of two brothers with opposing views, it was incredibly well crafted with well-rounded characters. Heart-wrenching and thought-provoking, this is definitely not to be missed by historic
Liam Loftus
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
A story set during World War 1 that encompasses the horror of the conflict both in the fields of battle and on the home front. I felt drawn in to both sides of the story, feeling empathy for Joe as he fights a battle of personal principle as his brother fights a battle of nationalistic pride. A perfect accompaniment to watching 1917 and the graphic novel Charley's War. ...more
Richard
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book, the characters were described in such a way that you could picture them in your minds eye and relate to them as the story line progressed.
Jeanie
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book with such heartache and loss
Set during the war so many lives lost and how family's coped I really enjoyed this story and would recommend.
Delighted to get an early copy from netgalley in return for an honest review.
Amanda
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
‘Goodbye For Now’ is one of those rare books, where the cover of the book is enough to convince me to read the story inside. I then read the synopsis and I just knew that this book was for me. I absolutely loved reading ‘Goodbye For Now’ but more about that in a bit.
It was hard not to take to the characters of George and Joe from the start. I really felt for the pair of them. On the one hand we have George, who is swept along by the general wave of excitement generated by the declaration of war.
Ffion
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This WWI debut novel initially caught my interest because of its Liverpool setting. The city holds a special place in my heart – my Nana’s family grew up there, and one of her uncles was killed in the First World War. I knew, then, that this novel had the potential to leave me an emotional mess – and oh boy, did it deliver on that front!

Goodbye for Now tells the heartbreaking story
Shreedevi Gurumurty
Sep 30, 2021 rated it really liked it
As Europe is on the brink of war, two brothers fight very different battles, and both could lose everything…While George has always been the brother to rush towards the action, fast becoming a boy-soldier when war breaks out,Joe thinks differently.Refusing to fight, Joe stays behind as a conscientious objector battling against the propaganda.On the Western front,George soon discovers that war is not the great adventure he was led to believe.Surrounded by mud,blood and horror his mindset begins t ...more
Natalie Daydream Reader
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical, fiction
Goodbye For Now has been on my TBR for a while. I've visited the battlefields of Northern France and Belgium and had a keen interest in the history of WWI ever since. Goodbye For Now spans the entire first world war, and tells the story of two brothers with different experiences. Joe, a conscientious objector and George who wants to fight for his country, don't always see eye-to-eye but are similar in their determination, bravery, and in that they both stand up for what they believe in.

It was i
Elysium
George and Joe are brothers who at the break of World War I make very different decisions. George can’t wait to go to war and has a bit romanticized view of the war. Joe, on the other hand, is a pacifist who refuses to raise a hand to kill others. Their father is a Boer War veteran who doesn’t take Joe’s beliefs kindly.

Both brothers admit that they’re never been close and don’t have much in common, but they are concerned for each other’s well-being during the war which was great to see.

It was in
Carol Rioux
Nov 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Detailed Look at Life in the Trenches

A well written book that describes the physical and mental torture of the soldiers that fought in the trenches during World War I. In contrast, it also reveals the horrors that conscious objectors faced as they were imprisonment for refusing to support the war. If you wanted to learn more about the personal side of World War I, consider adding this book to your “must” read list.
Mrs Anne Doran
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a gripping story told in such marvellously descriptive terms as if the author had been there.
It highlights the atrocity of war both physical and mental. It is a cracking read and I thoroughly recommend it.
TonyandKerry Bailey
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was absolutely fantastic, and I've read quite a lot of historical fiction. ...more
ROCKY
Apr 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed reading this book!!
Fiona R
Sep 05, 2021 rated it it was ok
Did not finish
jean sargent
Feb 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant book of two men fighting for what theybthink is right. Well written you could almost feel you were living with them. Excellent read if you’re interested in historical stories.
Gordon Yates
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reece Dinn
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
A gritty, heart wrenching world war one novel that really had me hooked by the end.
Cath
Jul 09, 2022 rated it it was amazing
A well written page turner that I couldn’t put down!
Cheryl
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely wonderful book, can't recommend it enough! ...more
Gregory
Jan 28, 2022
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Edelweiss Sisters
  • Beyond This Broken Sky
  • A Light in the Window (Margarete's Journey #1)
  • Beneath a Starless Sky
  • The Secret Diary
  • None Stood Taller #1
  • Women at War
  • The Secretary
  • An American in Paris
  • New Recruits at Goodwill House (Goodwill House #2)
  • A Letter From Pearl Harbor
  • Not Without My Sister
  • The Girl on the Platform
  • From the Dark We Rise (Margarete's Journey #2)
  • The Lost Girl of Berlin (Daughters of New York, #2)
  • When the Nightingale Sings
  • The Lost Mother
  • The Night Train to Berlin
Michael Hollows was born in London in 1986, and moved to Liverpool in 2010 to lecture in Audio Engineering. With a keen interest in history, music, and science, he has told stories since he was little. Goodbye for Now is his first novel, which he started as part of his MA in Writing from Liverpool John Moores University, graduating in 2015. He has also been published in SF anthologies, and is now ...more