Start by marking “The Rebel (The Rockwell Legacy, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Rebel (The Rockwell Legacy, #1)

The Rebel

(The Rockwell Legacy #1)

Every family has its rebel … and its secrets.

Deep in the Cascade mountains, the Rockwell family has been running historic Rocky Peak Lodge for generations. But now, that legacy is at risk of disappearing forever.

Kai, always the rebel, would rather risk his life as a rescue paramedic than deal with his impossible father, “Mad Max” Rockwell. Only one thing could bring him ho
Published September 4th 2018 by Jennifer Bernard

To ask other readers questions about The Rebel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rebel

Start your review of The Rebel (The Rockwell Legacy, #1)
Kiki
Coco.V
Mar 14, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon & on iBooks today (3/14/2019)! 🎁

Blurb:
Every family has its secrets… and its rebel.

Kai, always the rebel, would rather risk his life as a rescue paramedic than deal with his impossibly stubborn father, “Mad Max” Rockwell. Only one thing could bring him home—a real threat to his family. Especially in the form of a b
Kristy
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An AMAZING start to a new series by Jennifer Bernard! Kai Rockwell, aka The Rebel, has returned home after 15 years to find out more about Nurse Nicole who is taking care of his father. The Legacy (the resort in the mountains) is falling into disrepair, and they have to figure out the best way to deal with that. The chemistry between Kai and Nicole was undeniable, and their banter was witty and fun. I didn't want to put this book down, and stayed up late to finish it. Totally worth the lack of s ...more
Amy
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Rebel is a cute fluffy romance about two people who have been hurt in the past coming together. It is not anything new, it is a story I have read a million times, but is cute and full of heart. I ended up really enjoying The Rebel. I have fallen into some serious like for the Rockwell Clan and their patriarch.
The Rebel is about Kai Rockwell the oldest child in the Rockwell Clan. Kai took off when he was seventeen and never looked back. Why? Because, he and his dad never could see eye to eye
Wendy Keel
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OHH Wow what a beginning! The Rebel is book one in Jennifer Bernard's newest series, the Rockwell Legacy and what a start this is! Fans of Ms. Bernard's know she writes outstanding stories and this one is no different but with this one there's a deeper depth to her writing. The characters are realistic and moving. The setting is so realistic and inviting I want to visit it! The story itself is fast paced, engaging, and full of surprises. We watch as Kai and the rest of the Rockwell family learn ...more
Wendy Bunnell
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I had read sports romance by this author, but this is more small town contemporary.

I liked the setting in the mountain resort sliding into decline. I liked Kai and his family, as this is a great launch for a series.

I didn't care for the heroine. I understood her conflict and her need to provide for her sister, even though it was the expense of a family she has come to like. I particularly disliked her response after the truth was known.

Spoiler alert
(view spoiler)
Kay Daniels (Kay Daniels Romance)
I am in love with a new series!! Jennifer Bernard has reeled me in and I’m hooked, I need more and thankfully this is just the beginning so, squee!!, there will be more.

But first let me list why I'm so enamoured with the Rockwells….

1. A big family to fall hopelessly in love with. Jennifer Bernard starts us on a journey from a point where all five Rockwell children are gathered at a young age;  Kai, Griffin, Jake, Isabelle, and Gracie,  already displaying how close knit this family is. She then w
Pavitra (For The Love of Fictional Worlds)

Also Posted on For The Love of Fictional Worlds

Disclaimer: An eARC was provided via Inkslinger PR and the Author as part of the Blog Tour. The Thoughts, opinions & feelings expressed in the review are therefore, my own.

I adore series with interconnected characters and it becomes even better if the series is about a family, dysfunctional on the outside but a core of loyalty lays the foundation of the family - I usually find such series when all the books are out, cause you have to know I
Gale
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Juuuuuust when I thought I had the story figured out…bam! Another curveball! (In a good way, of course.) Kai Rockwell is the hero in this story, or maybe to be more accurate, he is actually The Rebel. He has a battered soul and a beaten-down heart but he puts on a great face. I won’t recap the story as Ms. Bernard does a MUCH better job telling it than I ever could, but we follow Kai from his rebellious teenage years to present day, when he returns home to face the music, so to speak.

One of my f
Kari Hansen
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kai’s relationship with his father was always confrontational but it reaches a breaking point when he is 17 and he leaves to become a paramedic far away from his father even if he does miss his family and his home. When his father’s health issues escalate he returns to come home to assist.

Nicole is the nurse who is looking after Max’s father. She doesn’t have an easy life and circumstances have backed her into doing something she would rather not do to help out those she loves.

Kai believes that
Bette Hansen
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fabulous book that kicks off what I expect will be a fantastic series. Kai Rockwell returns home when the family business is put in jeopardy. The Rock Peak Lodge has been in the Rockwell family for generations but now it faces financial ruin. Kai will do whatever it takes to save it including putting up with his father Max Rockwell. Max is ailing and in need of care. That's when Nicole Davidson arrives. She provides excellent care for his father but Kai feels there is something more to her tha ...more
2OCC Reviews
Shelves: gemma
The Rebel is the first book in a new series by Jennifer Bernard and is based around the Rockwell family. It was easy to fall in love with this family with all the different personalities of each member. The Rebel was well written with a very intriguing storyline.

Nicole was a very sweet character that really cared about the people around her and she really looked after her little sister. It was sweet to read about how much she loved her little sister and the things she did for her.

Kai as the ho
Cindy
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Family – our greatest loves and often our greatest source of conflict. Kai left Rocky Peak as a teenager after one too many arguments with his father, Max. Now Kai is back, to help at the lodge and to check on Max and his new nurse, Nicole. As with any good love story, Kai and Nicole fall for each other. Along the way, we encounter siblings and secrets, and a storeroom to remember.

Author Jennifer Bernard has built a wonderful world for her Rockwell Legacy series. The characters are all well-deve
Kristina Birch
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love this new series from Jennifer Bernard! A family with a tragic past trying to save their family lodge. In the first book in the series, Kai comes home for the first time in years to check up on his dad’s new nurse, Nicole. Nicole’s backstory is the perfect foil to Kai’s still simmering teenage anger and creates emotional depth. However, you still get all the fun banter, laugh out loud lines, and sexy times that you expect in Jennifer Bernard book! Can’t wait for more from this family!
Patti
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
This is an amazing story full of heart, hope and love. The cast of Rockwell Legacy characters are a lively bunch that you can't help but adore. This first book in the series revolves around Kai, the prodigal son and his father's home healthcare professional, Nicole. These two create all kinds of sparks as the learn to live at the Family owned and operated Rocky Peak Lodge.

I was so engrossed in Kai and Nicole's story not only because of the heat between these characters but, the intense and emoti
Ann Lorz
Reviewed for Romancing the Readers Blog: https://romancingthereaders.blogspot....

Since I really enjoy Jennifer Bernard books and I was both looking forward to a new series and dreading it. I knew I'd really miss her firemen very much. If you haven't read them then you really need to. They rock!!

Romance readers know how scary a new series can be from a beloved author. We are left in the dark about the people and town. It feels like we've got to start all over in a new relationship.

I was game...

S
Nelia
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As usual, Ms Bernard doesn't disappoint! She is in tune with nature and writes stories with emotional depth. She writes with all five senses and her descriptive use of language and sense of humor always ensure a riveting read.

Quote: "It was so quiet his own footsteps seemed obnoxiously loud. The only thing noisier was the stunning star scape suspended overhead. The sheer brilliance of the stars spoke as loudly as a marching band. Here we are. Glory be. Sing back to us."

Kai and Nicole's story tak
Anne
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book could easily be made into a Hallmark movie ( ok they would have to leave out all the sex). This is a wonderful family tale that clearly foreshadows more books in the future. It offered romance. Excitement , intrigue, and some chuckles. Overall kept my attention and I am looking forward to the next one.
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After yet another fight with his father Mad Max Rockwell, Kai decides to leave Rocky Peak Lodge. At 17yrs old, Kai embarks on an adventure of his own becoming a rescue paramedic taking various assignments all over the US never forgetting the Cascades. Although he has kept in touch with his family, he hasn't been back to the Lodge since that fateful argument that drove him away. Until his dad's health issues threaten his family's legacy.

Nicole would and has done practically everything to ensure h
Nicole ReadingBetweenTheSheets
This is another FANTASTIC, MUST-READ romance book from Jennifer Bernard! There is a blend of love, heartbreak, sex, conflict, humor and a beautiful description of a mountain lodge not far from a small town. And the banter between Kai and Nicole is awesome and it just makes such an incredible romance novel!

When Hottie, and natural born rebel, Kai Rockwell gets a plea from his siblings to come back to the mountain resort lodge and the family he left 15 years ago, he is less than excited about it.
Gin
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
A sweet, snappy, fun romance that's wonderfully written with terrific characters. The Maxwell family with the patriarch Mad Max, his fabulous children and the generational mountain resort makes this a heartfelt story. The siblings depended on each other after their mother's death with the oldest Kai at the helm. But Kai forever the rebel and fighting with Mad Max flys the coop at seventeen to make his own way. After a fifteen years the prodigal son returns home when Mad Max has a health scare. S ...more
Donna Smith
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kai and Nicole have lots of secrets. Kai's have kept him away from family so long, he doesnt know if he's going to be welcomed back. Nicole's are to protect her family and keep them safe. When the secrets start to interfere with what looks to be a great begining, Kai and Nicole must either ignore them or get everything out in the open.
I fell for this couple because of the struggle that they must endure. Kai has held onto his secret for so long that the relationship with his father may never rec
Lynn Brooks
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
The prodigal son returns … and sparks fly! With the first book in a new series, Jennifer Bernard brings us the story of a family who has had a ski lodge in their family for several generations, and as their father gets older, the need for one of the kids to step up and take over some of the day to day duties is approaching. The family is ripe with hidden secrets and confrontational avoidance, so watching the dynamics unravel is really moving. The characters comprising the family were quick to dr ...more
Nicole Riles
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Enemies to lovers! Rocky Peak is the mountain lodge that is in the Rockwell family’s legacy. The Rockwell’s is a new series from Jennifer Bernard. Kai and Nicole’s story is an easy read and page turner. I couldn’t put this book down the minute I started reading it until I was done and read it in one sitting. Kai is a deep, emotional soul that keeps it hidden under his fun loving, athletic, adventurous exterior. Nicole is very deep into her own family obligations that takes her awhile to admit th ...more
Perrin Larton
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
You're the oldest. You skipped out on the family to preserve your sanity when you were still a teenager. You've done well and have made a name for yourself in the search and rescue community. Now, you hear from your brother your dad is ill and there is a live-in nurse who may or may not be a gold digger. Crap...Kai Rockwell needs to go home.

You're the oldest. Your the only person your handicapped sister has. She is in a special home and now needs more care. How do you make ends meet as a nurse's
Fedora
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Four and a half stars.

The Rebel, by Jennifer Bernard, is the first in the Rockwell Legacy series. This book is about Kai Rockwell, the eldest, who left home ages ago after a spectacular fight with his frustrating father, the eccentric Max Rockwell. He never imagined staying away as long as he did, but different circumstances intervened, and it's been over a decade since he's been home. When his siblings tell him that Max has hired a beautiful nurse, he realizes he should check this situation out
Cindy Reifel
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nicole has been sent to care for "Mad" Max Rockwell after his heart scare. Max owns a beautiful lodge and land in the Cascade Mountains. He has 3 sons and 2 daughters but, only one still lives at the lodge. Nicole has another reason she's helping Max but, no one can know.
Kai, the oldest, has just finished rescuing some lost campers when he returns home to a flurry of texts from his siblings, telling him he needs to go home and check on his dad, a man he hasn't seen or spoken to since he was 17.
Diane
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved every single minute of this book because of the breathtaking scenery of the majestic Cascade Mountains that surround the site of the Rockwell family owned Rocky Peak Lodge. All I had to do was close my eyes and I could practically feel the wind in my face and the pine scent in the air with the glorious outdoor descriptions the author provided. But it was the broken hearts of the Rockwell siblings in the opening scene that grabbed my heart and really made me care about what happened to th ...more
Chandera
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful new series, The Rockwell Legacy, from Jennifer Bernard. Starting off in “The Rebel” Kai and his dad get into a big fight that ends with him not knowing if his dad kicked out first or with him saying he’s leaving. When packing his siblings Gracie, Isabelle, Jeff and Griffin ask him where is he going. Kai tries to make things better about him leaving. When Kai says to remember their family motto about laughing over crying, Kai leaves. Fifteen years later Kai is a mountain guide an ...more
Judyrudy
Shelves: 2018
The Rebel is the first book in Jennifer Bernard’s new series The Rockwell Legacy. At first I had a hard time getting into this book. It seemed slow but about half way through it picked up for me. I loved Mad Max, the cantankerous father of five children, who lost his wife in an accident many years ago. The Rebel was filled with secrets throughout. From Kai, the son, who held a secret so close it forced him to walk out on his family and legacy.

Nicole Davidson has come to Rocky Peak Lodge to care
« previous 1 3 next »

• Challenging the Doctor (Marietta Medical, #2)
  • Flirting with Fire (Men of Marietta, #2)
  • A Lot Like Home
  • More Than This (The O'Learys, #1)
  • Vow of Retribution (Vow, #1)
  • Heat Wave (The Magic Jukebox, #4)
  • Her Sweetheart Brand (Secrets of Cherry Lake #3)
  • Whiskey Secrets (Whiskey and Lies, #1)
  • His Best Mistake (The Maclean Family Legacy Book 1)
  • Playing with You (Riding Tall, #5)
  • A Little Consequence (Texas Firefighters, #2)
  • The Doctor's Love (The McKinnon Brothers, #2; Heroes of New York, #3)
  • The Fire Inside (Hidden Cove Firefighters, #7)
  • Happy Endings Book Club Boxed Set (Books #1-3)
  • His Best Friend's Sister (Devil's Rock at Whiskey River #2)
  • The Enforcer: Redtails Hockey
  • Sharp Practice (Bourbonland, #1)
  • Fiancé for the Night (One Night to Forever #1)
Jennifer Bernard is a USA Today bestselling author of contemporary romance. Her books have been called “an irresistible reading experience” full of “quick wit and sizzling love scenes.” A graduate of Harvard and former news promo producer, she left big city life in Los Angeles for true love in Alaska, where she now lives with her husband and stepdaughters. She still hasn’t adjusted to the cold, so ...more

The Rockwell Legacy (5 books)
  • The Rogue (The Rockwell Legacy, #2)
  • The Renegade (The Rockwell Legacy, #3)
  • The Runaway (The Rockwell Legacy, #4)
  • The Rock (The Rockwell Legacy, #5)