Start by marking “Color Outside the Lines” as Want to Read:
Color Outside the Lines

Color Outside the Lines

This modern, groundbreaking YA anthology explores the complexity and beauty of interracial and LGBTQ+ relationships where differences are front and center.

When people ask me what this anthology is about, I’m often tempted to give them the complicated answer: it’s about race, and about how being different from the person you love can matter but how it can also not matter, a
Published November 12th 2019 by Soho Teen

To ask other readers questions about Color Outside the Lines, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Color Outside the Lines

Start your review of Color Outside the Lines
Nenia ⚔️ Queen of Villainy ⚔️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I loved the idea behind this anthology so much that I had to get it. COLOR OUTSIDE THE LINES is a collection of short stories that are all about diversity-- interracial relationships, LGBT+ relationships, and even a couple with both-- and some of the challenges and delights and obstacles that occur within these relationships, while also celebrating them wholeheartedly (well, mostly-- more on that to come).

Short story collections are alwa
Larry H
Nov 18, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

Color Outside the Lines is a collection of YA stories celebrating all kinds of love.

I was really excited when I first heard of this book, for several reasons. I’ll admit the first reason was the promise of a new story from Adam Silvera, as I’ve been going through withdrawal until his new book comes out next year.

But I also really love short stories, and was excited about the idea of a collection focused on stories about interracial and LGBTQ+ relationships. Those relationships are
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
This is the book of my heart. Love is diverse, and I'm so happy this book celebrates that.

- I absolutely loved this collection of stories, and I hope that it paves the way for more interracial relationships in fiction that explore the complexities and dynamics of interracial couples.
- Some of the stories you might find: the interracial relationship between a Black and white f/f couple in the context of BLM, an Asian teen who grapples with her Asian-fever white boyfriend, and a Hades/Persephone
Sahitya
This book has been on my tbr for a very long time, probably since the day it was announced. And I was so happy the day I got approved for the ARC. This is such a delightful read, full of adorable meet cutes and chance encounters and every story in its own way emphasizes that our differences can bring us closer and it’s so much better to learn from each other, than letting the color of our skin divide us. Really a nice set of empathetic stories and I would definitely recommend it to everyone. My ...more
Emma
Sep 21, 2019 rated it liked it
The ARC of this book was provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Full review HERE

This anthology was quite well done.
First of all, there were a lot of different genres included, which is something I did not expect. I thought it was going to be only YA contemporary and so I was pleasantly surprised.
The main theme of this anthology is interracial relationships and so there were lots of interracial couples or families and a lot of good diverse representation. I al
Acqua
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Color Outside the Lines is an anthology about interracial relationships across time and genres. It's about the ways these relationships are both different and the same as the ones that aren't interracial; it doesn't only talk about love, culture, and prejudice, but also about family, friendships, communication, expectations and legacies, from many different points of view.

I thought this was a solid anthology. As usual, I didn't like every single story, but while the ending was a bit weak, I foun
Divine Anas
This book is a blessing and I never thought that I needed to read this until I did. While it depicts if not all, most of the facets of diversity, Color Outside the Lines blends in various narratives from acceptance, revenge, passion for the arts, kinship, familial matters, and a whole lot more!

I've read this anthology slowly from last month until this day, and I guess it's safe to say that it's by far my most favorite one of all time! PLEASE DO YOURSELF THE FAVOR OF READING THIS.

Here are all my
Enne (they/them)
Overall rating : 3.9 stars

Turn the Sky to Petals by Anna-Marie McLemore - 4 stars
There's always something magical about Anna-Marie's writing that makes me fall in love and this story was no different. I absolutely loved the concept and I loved that this was written in the second person. The only thing was that I found myself sometimes confused by what was going on, but I got used to it soon enough.

Prom by Danielle Paige - 4 stars
Despite the fact that this story was only two pages long, I thoug
Fadwa (Word Wonders)
I received a DRC of this book from the publisher through Edelweiss in exchange of an honest review

*cries and chants* Will I ever find an anthology that I genuinely love? I mean, I have a few still on my TBR that I have faith in before I give up all hope of ever loving an anthology. But unfortunately, Color the Lines wasn’t the anthology to prove my unlucky strike wrong. Although I loved a couple stories and liked a couple others, most of them were either forgettable, outright not good in my opin
The Nerd Daily
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Mimi Koehler

Listen, I’m usually not the biggest fan of anthologies. Most times, there are two short stories that I really love and the rest, I just feel meh about. Sometimes, I feel obliged to review every single story on its own, while other times I feel like the stories only work as a whole. It’s a complicated thing.

But Color Outside the Lines has my whole heart.

This collection of stories approaches interracial and LGBTQIA+ relationships in va
Manon the Malicious
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtqiap, edelweiss, bipoc
*4.5 Stars*

I was provided an ARC via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Color Outside the Lines is an anthology of short stories "exploring the complexity and beauty of interracial and LGBTQ+ relationships where differences are front and center". The anthology will contain 16 stories, but my review copy only had 14 since this comes out in November. When I rated each story one by one, it gave me an average 4.35 rating which I happily rounded up since I just love the concept of this book a
USOM
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
(Disclaimer: I received this free book from Edelweiss. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

It's always challenging to review anthologies, because I wonder if I review the stories, or the anthology as a whole. First off, the concept of this anthology is not only moving, but also so well executed. As Mandanna writes in the introduction, "representation matters" and these stories of relationships that cross borders, families, prejudices, and more are tender and heartfelt.
Josie
May 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I really enjoyed the majority of these stories and reading from new authors! I just bought an L.L. McKinney book and cannot wait to start reading. I look forward to reading more books like this and discovering new favorite authors.
noah 🖤 #blacklivesmatter
OVERALL RATING: 4.22 stars

Turn the Sky to Petal by Anna-Marie McLemore 4 stars
i’ve never read a McLemore story that didn’t feel like being wrapped in silk and sung to sleep by mother nature.

Prom by Danielle Paige 4 stars
very short but just as equally sweet.

What We Love by Lauren Gibaldi 4 stars
a jewish girl and an indian boy join forces to get revenge against their bully. this was surprisingly cute with lots of Star Wars references.

Giving Up the Ghost by Tarun Shanker and Kelly Zeka
Dany
Review will be posted closer to the publishing date.

Buddy read !

*I got the e-copy of this ARC from Edelweiss and Soho teen in exchange of my honest opinion*
Richelle Robinson
“I received a review copy from Amazon Vine and voluntarily provided an honest review. This does not affect the opinion of the book or the content of the review.’’

I’m all about diversity which is why I wanted to read this anthology. I find that the young adult genre does a great job with providing diverse stories. So as far as the anthology goes I liked some stories more than others. Some stories were well written and some stopped just when things got interesting. A few stories went right over my
Ashley Owens
Jan 05, 2020 rated it liked it
I received an electronic copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.

I always find it difficult to rate anthologies & short story collections. To give the book as a whole a rating feels wrong because each piece is its own. If I had to, I would rate the collection 3/5 stars. But what feels more right/appropriate is to talk about the highs and lows of this YA short story collection, and give ratings for those stories specifically.

The Bad Ones:
Unfortunately a large handful of
Leigh Kramer
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, ya, anthology
What a solid collection! While there were a few stories I liked less than the others, the reasons were always my personal preference. On the whole, I was super impressed with the offerings in this YA anthology. Each story has an interracial component but it’s not always romantic, nor do the love stories always have a happy ending. There’s a mix of subgenres and I really liked seeing what each author came up with. My ARC did not include the stories from Adam Silvera and Danielle Paige.

Samira Ahme
Nina
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5/5

I don't generally read anthologies or short stories, so this was a treat to read something completely out of my comfort zone.

This was a beautiful compilation of stories about love. Love that comes in various forms, colors, shapes, and sizes. I adored the concept of love and friendship transcending cultural and society norms. Reading stories like these give you hope that we can peacefully coexist and support each other despite what we solely see on the outside.

With a collection of stories,
mad mags
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
"We won tonight because we saved what we love."

(Full disclosure: I received a free e-ARC for review through Edelweiss. Trigger warning for racism, misogyny, and ableism.)

I swarm the stage with the other girls and here is Lourdes, jumping up and down like a circus girl on a pogo stick. She grabs my hand and I jump with her, the mess of our kiss less important than this moment when a tiny powerful woman stands, feet spread wide, and the crowd of boys parts for the shining raging mass of girls.

“GIR
kory.
this is all about characters of color having all kinds of love stories and it's wonderfully pure

content/trigger warnings; racism, anti-semitism, bullying, ableism, anti-native language, police brutality, explosions, injuries, hospitals, mentions of war, grief, arophobia, murder, violence, kissing, fetishization, queerphobia,

my rating for each story

—turn the sky to petals by anna-marie mclemore: 2 stars

The Agony of a Heart's Wish by Samira Ahmed: 5/5 stars

The Coward's Guide to Falling in Love by Caroline Tung Richmond
zoë
Apr 04, 2020 rated it liked it
This started off really good, and then got really long and boring. I think there should be a 15-page max limit on anthology short stories because some of these felt like they went on for 20-30 pages, and I definitely skimmed towards the end because of this.

I didn't enjoy most of these but my favorites were:

Giving Up The Ghost by Tarun Shanker and Kelly Zekas
“Hurts more if they love you first”
I LOVED this one so much! It was so cute and fun, and I wish there was a whole book of this.

Prom by Dani
Nikki Boisture
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
YA anthology of stories around romantic relationships outside the White Cis-Het stories that are the most common. It's a lovely addition to the YA romance genre, especially because you don't see a lot of interracial relationships in fiction still. Just like all anthologies of short stores, some stories are stronger than others. The strongest ones are so good it easily makes up for the average ones.

I read this as an ARC, and two of the stories (by Adam Silvera and Danielle Paige) haven't been in
Ms. Woc Reader
I have yet to find an anthology I truly adore. There was a decent mix of interracial and LGBTQ love stories. This one had some decent stories and some that didn't quite hold my attention. Buy it was missing that standout short story that makes me want to reread over and over again.

I received this book free from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.
Misse Jones
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A celebration of differences through love

I enjoyed this collection, particularly the shared theme of love. I think this book did a good job of showing the differences that often times bring us together if we only open our hearts and believe in the power of love.

Iz
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
ahh this was so good! a couple of bad stories but mainly I just really loved this ❤️
Ashwini Abhyankar
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it

Some of the stories really worked for me and some were a bit meh but all of them were pretty enjoyable.
Llyr Heller-Humphreys

• Check, Please!, Book 2: Sticks & Scones
  • By Any Means Necessary
  • Felix Ever After
  • You Should See Me in a Crown
  • A Blade So Black (Nightmare-Verse, #1)
  • The Gravity of Us
  • The Devouring Gray (The Devouring Gray #1)
Sangu Mandanna was four years old when an elephant chased her down a forest road and she decided to write her first story about it. Seventeen years and many, many manuscripts later, she signed her first book deal. Sangu now lives in Norwich, a city in the east of England, with her husband and kids.