Start by marking “How Long 'til Black Future Month?” as Want to Read:
How Long 'til Black Future Month?

How Long 'til Black Future Month?

(Dreamblood 0.5 - The Narcomancer )

Hugo award-winning and New York Times bestselling author N. K. Jemisin sharply examines modern society in her first short story collection.

N. K. Jemisin is one of the most powerful and acclaimed speculative fiction authors of our time. In the first collection of her evocative short fiction, Jemisin equally challenges and delights readers with thought-provoking narrativ
Published November 27th 2018 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about How Long 'til Black Future Month?, please sign up.
Esk No, it's actualy some kind of prequel. But when Jemisin writed the Dreamblood after this, she changed a little bit some things about the Gatherers.

Holly

I absolutely *LOVED* this author's Broken Earth trilogy (starts with The Fifth Season) so I was really excited to pick up this collection of short stories. However, and it pains me to say this, I am not sure why this collection was published because the majority of the stories didn't particularly 'wow' me. That's not to say that I didn't enjoy some of them, there were a handful I actually REALLY wish were expanded into a full length novel because I enjoyed them so much. But most of them
Hiu Gregg
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was, I’m ashamed to admit, the first N.K. Jemisin book I’ve ever read. I don’t say this because I subscribe to the belief that there are books which are “required reading” in the fantasy genre (because I absolutely don’t), but rather because on reading the stories in How Long ’til Black Future Month, I was struck by just how damned gifted Jemisin is as a writer. And yet I’m only finding that out now.

But then, “gifted” isn’t really the best word to use here. These stories are very much a ref
Leah Rachel von Essen
How Long ‘Til Black Future Month? is simply superb. There wasn’t a story in the twenty-two that didn’t impress. Jemisin is a science fiction and fantasy powerhouse, and that is clear by the sheer variety of tales told—there are a dozen novel-worthy worlds crafted in this volume.

Jemisin opens with “The Ones Who Stay and Fight,” a direct story response to Ursula K. Le Guin’s “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas.” It ends with a parallel—a story about a man defending his city, post-Katrina New Orle
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Goodreads has pulled together a couple of my Jemisin short story reviews and dumped them here, since they appear in her new short fiction collection. Currently this review space is just for those two stories.

4.5 stars for "The Evaluators." This alien contact SF short story is an online freebie at Wired.com. Review first posted here on Fantasy Literature:

About two hundred years in our future, humanity is engaged in exploring other planets and worlds and meeting alien civilizations. Wei Aiuha is
Emma
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review to follow
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, favorites
Some remarkable short stories here. Some of myy favorites were: "Elevator Dancer", "Storyteller's Replacement", "On the Banks of the River Lex", and "Sinners, Saints, Dragons, and Haints." Very original and unique!
Marchpane
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
Based on the title, I was expecting How Long ‘til Black Future Month? to be a little more sci-fi leaning and/or a lot more overtly political. But as Jemisin points out in her introduction, just being a black woman writing sci-fi and fantasy that features black characters is a political act. Occasionally she does reference real-world events, such as the terrific “Sinners, Saints, Dragons, and Haints, in the City Beneath the Still Waters”, about a young man and his elderly neighbour trying to surv ...more
carol.

***Hey, Great job, Goodreads! This review was for a single short story, The Evaluators, but maybe also for another short story, "The Narcomancer." Idk, because my links are broken and the you re-shelved my review under a collection of short stories. So I should probably delete this review because I have no idea what it's reviewing. Jerks.---carol. 5/19

While I had links to the stories, it appears Jemisin had to pull it them from the website and there were,
Miriam
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pretty awesome, original short story about alien contact. It was told in the form of fragmentary documents: reports, IMs, recorded conversations, etc. There were also visual and formatting elements, but unfortunately I was unable to read this on the WIRED site because of pop-ups, so I pasted it into a text document and was not able to see the images. Still really enjoyed it, though, and would read more set in this world.
Hannah
Jul 17, 2018 marked it as on-hold  ·  review of another edition
I don’t think I could be more excited for this.
Sahitya
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jemisin is a phenomenal writer and every story of hers reflects her talent. She has a knack for telling stories and creating worlds with a lot of depth and meaning and lot of parallels to our real world. This collection of short stories has its own share of some great ones and some not so good ones, but my main problem was that there were a few I just didn’t understand. I’ve felt this before about the author’s works - she writes on a whole other level which is very complicated and not easy for m ...more
I finished and it only took 5 days. Go me!

I wasn’t sure what to expect going into this. From Jemisin I’ve only ever read The Fifth Season, and my relationship with that was only lukewarm. I did know that she had some fantastic ideas for worlds and narrative choices though, so I was hopeful.

I’m happy to say that every single story in this book reaffirms what I’ve stated above. Jemisin is truly a creative genius and her writing is top notch. (And best of all, I didn’t come across any that were sup
CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian
A majestic collection of fantasy and sciencefiction short stories from N.K. Jemisin, one of my favourite authors. There's incredible variety in here, from a world where "quantum proliferation" has propelled everyone into separate looping realities to a magical recipe that keeps you forever young to a restaurant that can serve any meal from any day in history to an uncanny exactness. Some stories are stronger than others, but overall an excellent book.
Jokoloyo
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The art and the web design is reinforcing the atmosphere of the story. One of my better read for SF short story on 2017. A fascinating contact-with-another-species story with web style storytelling. I admit I add 1 star due to the design.

Maybe only I did the mistake, but when first time I read it, I was confused with the timeline. Please make sure you notice the time record of each section/chapter.

For the title art, if the page art seems too large, I use this link to watch it: (view spoiler)
Caro the Helmet Lady
Stories like this one are the reason I love sci-fi.
Liz Barnsley
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve recently been making my way through this authors ” Broken Earth ” trilogy – one book to go- and the way she writes is so creative, beautifully done, so as a fan of short stories generally I was looking forward to this.
There is an art to the short story form, not every author no matter how talented can pull them off, but N K Jemisin certainly can. In this collection we have varying lengths but each one is a small gem unto itself, exploring many themes, a lot of them melancholy and thought pr
Makeda / ColourLit
Review pending...just know I loved this collection. 🏃🏾♀ 🏃🏾♀ 🏃🏾♀ to buy The Inheritance Trilogy and Dreamblood Duology! ...more
Rana
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Is there even any doubt that this would be fucking fantastic?
André Oliveira
yup, I just found out that I don't like short stories, which is a bummer :(

So don't take this review seriously. If you like short stories, definitely try this book, it has some interesting ideas

I am still really excited to read The Broken Earth trilogy!!!
Lauren Stoolfire
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hubchallenge19
Wow! This is a fantastic collection of diverse short stiries. I need to read anything and everything from N.K. Jemisin stat!
Rose
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, sci-fi
Having spent the last three weeks traipsing across Europe, having a book of short stories by such a fantastic author made the long train and bus journeys bearable.
Some stories were a bit of a miss for me, but the overwhelming majority were fantastic and engaging. My favourites were certainly the ones that had magic and mystique woven in to the world - The City Born Great, Red Dirt Witch, L'Alchimista, and Cuisine des Memoires all stood out beautifully amongst a sea of truly incredible stories. T
Hannah
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
HOW DOES SHE DO IT?! How in the world is her mind so freaking brilliant? I demand an answer...

This is definitely my absolute favorite short story collection I've read so far. I was head over heels for 19 of the stories and only didn't enjoy 3 of them. I can still say with certainty that they were all strong, stunning, and breathtaking (yes, even the unfortunate 3. Just because I didn't like them as much didn't mean they weren't amazing in their own way). The stories are extremely accessible and
Nadine
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m not a fan of short stories since I usually find them to be lacking, but I couldn’t help myself when I learned that N.K. Jemisin published a collection. How Long ‘Til Black Future Month? Is a beautiful collection of stories that cover a range of topics all set within science fiction and fantasy settings.

There are 22 stories packed within this 400-page collection. Each of the stories stand on their own and offer something different to readers. The stories featured themes of rebirth, redemption
Dawn C
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Admittedly I’ve only read The Fifth Season but I think I like Jemisin’s short stories better than her novels. She really has a concise way with words that suits this shorter writing exercise so well.

Stories that stood out to me: “Stone Hunger” (marking the early embers of her Broken Earth trilogy), “On the Banks of the River Lex”, “Henosis” and “The Narcomancer” were all extremely good, and “The Narcomancer” also made me really curious to read her Dreamblood books!
lady victoriana
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
There are many things I admire about N.K. Jemisin as a writer, and all of those things come through in this collection of short stories. I want to highlight two of those things:

1. Her innovation and creativity. Put simply, Jemisin just has really cool ideas. Even if she's utilizing a common trope or concept, she still manages to execute it in an original way. I may not always love the direction she takes stories in, but I have to admire just how creative she is, and how her mind works outside of
La Coccinelle
Dec 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult, short-stories
I haven't read any of this author's longer works yet. I figured trying some of her short stories might be a good introduction to her writing (and a quick way to figure out if I'm going to click with it).

Goodreads has decided that my thoughts are too big to be contained (either that, or it's just the fact that there are 22 stories in this book, and I had something to say about all of them). In any case, my review wouldn't fit. Head over to my blog to read the full review.
The Captain
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, sci-fi
Ahoy there me mateys! I have read five of the author’s novels but had never read any of her short stories. N.K. Jemisin has been making waves by doing cool things like winning the Hugo award three years in a row for every book in her Broken Earth trilogy (which I haven’t read yet!). So when I saw she was publishing this short story collection I got excited. And after listening to the audiobook, I can say that I adored it.

This collection has 22 varied tales. Now here’s the thing, for the majority
Jon
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been wanting to check out Jemisin's novels for some time now, but I was happy to see this at my local library so I could check out her work in some smaller doses. This is a collection of some of her short stores, all of which were enjoyable and inventive. Some worked better than others, but I was impressed by how easily she is able to build these alternate worlds and settings. I'm anxious to dig into a full-length work so I can spend more time in some of them.
Arielle Walker
I’ve been waiting to write a review of this, hoping words would come at some point, but - no. No words.

Just... this is further proof of the pure and utter genius of N.K Jemisin
Sabrina
Like any collection, some stories spoke to me more than others. It's worth checking out for the introduction by the author alone. I also really enjoyed most of the stories, particularly The City Born Great, Cloud Dragon Skies, Valedictorian, The Storyteller's Replacement, and Cuisine des Mémoires. Overall, I would recommend it, and I cannot wait to read more of her novels.
SciFi and Fantasy...: "How Long 'til Black Future Month?" Buddy Read 81 239 Feb 08, 2019 05:07PM
Dawnrise: "The Narcomancer" 1 9 Jul 05, 2015 12:03PM

• Long Hidden: Speculative Fiction from the Margins of History
  • So Long Been Dreaming: Postcolonial Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Tender
  • Ambiguity Machines and Other Stories
  • The Descent of Monsters (Tensorate, #3)
  • The Reincarnated Giant: Twenty-First-Century Chinese Science Fiction
  • Starlings
  • The Black God's Drums
  • Apex Magazine Issue 99
  • A People's Future of the United States: Speculative Fiction from 25 Extraordinary Writers
  • Spirits Abroad
  • The Assimilated Cuban's Guide to Quantum Santeria
  • The Best American Science Fiction and Fantasy 2018
  • Kabu Kabu
  • Six Months, Three Days, Five Others
  • Mothership: Tales from Afrofuturism and Beyond
  • Love Beyond Body, Space, and Time
  • Meanwhile, Elsewhere: Science Fiction and Fantasy from Transgender Writers
N. K. Jemisin lives and works in New York City.

Dreamblood (2 books)
  • The Killing Moon (Dreamblood, #1)
  • The Shadowed Sun (Dreamblood, #2)
“Who is to say plutonium is more powerful than, say, rice? One takes away a million lives, the other saves a hundred times as many.” 6 likes
“for without contrasts, how does one appreciate the different forms that joy can take?” 3 likes