Start by marking “The Art of Innovation: Lessons in Creativity from IDEO, America's Leading Design Firm” as Want to Read:

IDEO, the widely admired, award-winning design and development firm that brought the world the Apple mouse, Polaroid's I-Zone instant camera, the Palm V, and hundreds of other cutting-edge products and services, reveals its secrets for fostering a culture and process of continuous innovation.

There isn't a business in America that doesn't want to be more creative in its thi
Published January 16th 2001 by Broadway Business

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Innovation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Innovation

Start your review of The Art of Innovation: Lessons in Creativity from IDEO, America's Leading Design Firm
Iftekhar Alam Himel
Mar 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Too many words, too few ideas.

I value a non-fiction work on its steep learning curve, proper data & facts and precise construction. I cannot say that the book performed very well in all criteria.

The book does offer good insights into product development & pave ways into creative process. But the construction could have been more organized. Well you can forgive that for a first book & the fact that it is about “creative process”.

It does lack insights driven by proper data/facts. All that insight
Ron Banister
Dec 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Great insight into the creative process. Updates to follow...
Michael Moseley
May 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
This was a good set of innovations that the Ideo had been involved in over the years. It begun really interestingly but seemed to go on anf on in the same vain. I am nit sure how much I got out of the examples. There seemed to be less insite in to the process of innovcation how to be more innovative in a modern world.
Garland Vance
The Art of Innovation tells the story of IDEO brainstorm, design and launch cycles that have led to some of the most creative innovations in the world. Sounds interesting, right? It's not. Of the 15 chapters, I found 2 or 3 of them interesting and insightful. There were two problems that I found. First, the book was written almost a decade ago, so the innovative products about which they tell stories are now dinosaurs. This, of course, cannot be helped unless they update the book each year. But ...more
Gergely
Jan 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
It feels a bit like a corporate autobiography, with its many stories, looking back how things worked before, like leafing through an interesting photo album at a friend's house.

Still, I did take away quite a few notes, that seem to influence my thinking in general, almost right away.
- I feel like I became more observant, things around me offer more opportunities
- I like the idea of "everything can be improved", and it gives me a fresh look
- Prototype early, prototype often
- So many different way
Gail
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Despite being 17 years old, I thought there was a lot of great information in this book. I recommend this book to any entrepreneur or certainly anyone managing a team. They would benefit from the author's tips on creating an environment that encourages creativity and values experimenting. I think most businesses are blind to the impact their culture has on both what and how employees work. I found Thomas' writing to be inspiring and encouraging -- everything can be improved upon. When you start ...more
Gray Dougherty
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
A primarily self indulgent and meandering collection of now outdated anecdotes. There a few nuggets that could probably be summarized in about 20 pages, so it gets 2 stars purely for that. The Palm V is amazing!
Shatha Alemadi
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
a little bit boring :|
Vlad
Feb 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Some excellent advice. But now feels dated, with references to defunct businesses, old fads, and technological dead ends. Also a little too heavy on the “hire IDEO” promotional language.
Sijmen Mulder
Mar 24, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Some interesting ideas that would have fit well in a short blog post, interspersed with lots of self congratulatory anecdotes for padding and 20/20 hindsight.
Yvonne
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018

While many of the examples (e.g. Palm V) were dated, this book remained a very interesting read. Through ample supply of fun stories, I got a glimpse of the day in and out of innovators' life at Ideo.

While design thinking becomes very popular these days and there are many workshops offering the experience (e.g. in 1 - 2 days) in a more defined and succinct way, it becomes even more valuable for me to learn about where the history/the journey/the enthusiasm was rooted. Just like how I think ab

Anežka Svobodová
Aug 27, 2018 rated it liked it
The anecdotes from IDEO are fun to read about. However the book seems to be only a collection of such stories of what they did 20 years ago and how. No matter how inspiring, some of those examples are already totally outdated (like the PALM computers) and I think the book lacks more methodology sections or a good story. I can imagine it could be either a good narrative of how IDEO started and operated or a good guidebook on how to innovate, but in the end it is neither. To summarise what I learn ...more
Rohit Yadav
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Success depends on both what you do & how you do.

Try stuff & then ask for forgiveness

Fail often to succeed sooner

Innovate or die

There are always more opportunity to create excitement then you think.

Never underestimate the barrier to people accepting a new idea

Routine is the enemy of innovation. Break the rules, let the colours spill

Entering fun competition & mastering fundamentals.

Mindset: Playful

Creating seamless wow experience: Learning from Vegas & AU. How could you turn ___ into fun experie
Amanda Hanson
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Refresher on the Importance of Innovation

This book was a good read. Lots of fun stories about the experiences IDEO has had in practicing innovation. While it doesn't provide the silver bullet answer to your problems, it provides great tips on topics like brainstorming, and serves as a reminder that innovation is something that we should all make an effort to practice every day. I particularly enjoyed the sections where the stories offered up examples of finding inspiration in unexpected indust
Jeanne
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book! This book emphasizes the need to foster innovation and creativity to ensure status quo is not maintained in the pursuit of improvements for products and services. A problem is defined and teams are formed to brainstorm how to solve them. All ideas are considered and the group takes the best of them and continues to develop them. Key elements are perseverance and finishing the project to completion. There are examples of innovative solutions that were developed using design thinki ...more
Megan
Mar 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-school, 2019
Tom Kelley clearly loves IDEO and his brother Dave. His innovation advice focuses on products, and is difficult to translate into processes, especially as his big takeaway is for "rapid prototyping." He does have some thoughts on group dynamics and office space. Overall his ideas are reiterated a few too many times and the advice isn't concrete, while the anecdotes are more fun for Kelley than for the reader. The historical aspect, IDEO's numerous inventions, is interesting.
Katie
Mar 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
A fun read on the history of innovative design. I recognized many standard practices of tech/business culture that IDEO claims to have originated. The book even mentions a product that my dad worked on at Silicon Graphics when I was a kid. Kelley’s many predictions are interesting to look back on. Yes, we now use biometrics and wearable tech as he expected. No, the US still hasn’t adopted the metric system. He also spells out his plan for a smartphone. Not bad for a book written in 2000!
Jeff Whitlock
Lots of great ideas from a firm that I deeply respect. While I agree with and appreciated the point that some level of fun/playfulness is required for Innovation, I didn't appreciate that Tom applied this point to the entire structure, prose, and content of this book. It's a very folksy telling, which made it entertaining but also less rigorous, structured, and fact-based.

[Will update]
Charles
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: les-meilleurs
Tom Kelley writes a great story on the many paths to innovate in the business world.
It also stands as a company brochure to promote and share the best practices at IDEO (world leading design firm), Kelley’s firm.

All concepts and techniques are illustrated by case studies and real-world examples, so that every reader can understand and most importantly apply that knowledge.
Steve Bullington
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
First published in 2001, almost all of the product and company examples are out of date (Netscape and Palm).

The concepts though are even more relevant and important today than that hey we’re back then.

This book will help you apply the concepts of Design Thinking to you company, product, service or software.
Robert Bogue
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the quirky things about the way that I dig into topics is that sometimes it’s like reading a book from the back to the front. I read the most recent things first before getting back to more foundational works. That’s absolutely the case with The Art of Innovation. I have previously reviewed Tom and David Kelley’s book, Creative Confidence, which made mention to this earlier work. It was also referenced in The Medici Effect and The Innovator’s DNA. Getting back to this classic book was jus ...more
Stephanie
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really interesting reading about a lot of history in design thinking. Is amazing how close their predictions were reading this 17 years after it was written. A lot of good ideas about how to build a place that encourages innovation. Very focused on product design however. Something how well it translates to services.
George Stander
Jun 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I am a bit disappointed in this book.
Although the stories are inspiring it offers little insight into the actual methods of design thinking used by IDEO. The culture at IDEO is very inspiring and there are lessons to be learnt.

I reckon if you want to read this to learn about design thinking stay away. However if you want to learn about an amazing company culture this book is wonderful.
Warren Mcpherson
Many tidbits of wisdom assembled in a whimsical style that seems to give a very good insight into the culture of the Ideo design firm. While the book does reflect a great creative culture it doesn't feel like it systematic or rigorous enough to build strong knowledge. I suspect version 2 of this book "Creative Confidence" will be an improvement and I am looking forward to reading it next.
Tanner
Dec 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Audible. Ideo sounds like a pretty awesome company. Book was a good reference guide on some stuff to try with innovation/design. Material covered in the book is very similar to other innovation/business types.
Ralph N
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful read from a general manager at IDEO talking about this innovation consulting firm’s philsophies: focusing on storytelling, focusing on user experience to make it unique, how to brainstorm effectively, and how to prototype well.
Adrienne
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Although the book focused on innovation at IDEO it contained many strategies which can be adapted for various industries. Definitely a good read for anyone looking to incorporate a culture of innovation.
Vishal Patel
Sep 07, 2018 rated it liked it
It could have been better book with better writing style, author may claim this as his “unique” style of his own but as a avid reader , I found it boring. Good ideas though , it just needs Midas touch of better structure.
Anita
Apr 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: creativity
The first half of the book was very helpful in understanding the IDEO process. The process took a backseat in the second half and it was more about products designed by IDEO. The book needs a second edition updating this material. Many of the products and companies are historic and very dated.
John Gates
Dec 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Good book, but Mr. Kelley has only added to the mockery of a already difficult language. I could barely get past some sentences, as Tom uses his clout to prove that conjunctions can indeed begin sentences. Bravo, foolish man.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Reality Check: The Irreverent Guide to Outsmarting, Outmanaging, and Outmarketing Your Competition
  • Business Model Generation
  • Gamestorming: A Playbook for Innovators, Rule-breakers, and Changemakers
  • The Big Moo: Stop Trying to Be Perfect and Start Being Remarkable
  • Running Lean: Iterate from Plan A to a Plan That Works
  • Escape from Cubicle Nation: From Corporate Prisoner to Thriving Entrepreneur
  • Change by Design: How Design Thinking Transforms Organizations and Inspires Innovation
  • Thinkertoys: A Handbook of Creative-Thinking Techniques
  • The Innovator's DNA: Mastering the Five Skills of Disruptive Innovators
  • The Design of Business: Why Design Thinking is the Next Competitive Advantage
  • Making Ideas Happen: Overcoming the Obstacles Between Vision and Reality
  • Designing Interactions [With CDROM]
  • Ready, Fire, Aim: Zero to $100 Million in No Time Flat
  • Zero to One: Notes on Startups, or How to Build the Future
  • Duct Tape Marketing: The World's Most Practical Small Business Marketing Guide
  • How to Make Millions with Your Ideas: An Entrepreneur's Guide
  • Business Model You: A One-Page Method for Reinventing Your Career
Thomas Kelley runs the marketing side of the hugely successful industrial product design firm IDEO. His brother, David, started the company in 1977 in Palo Alto, CA. One of his earliest projects was designing the first mouse for Steve Jobs at Apple Computers.

News & Interviews

“The best way to get a good idea is to get a Lot of ideas. —LINUS PAULING” 2 likes
“They overlook the possibility that brainstorming can be a skill, an art, more like playing the piano than tying your shoes.” 1 likes