Start by marking “The Bayern Agenda: Book One of the Galactic Cold War” as Want to Read:
The Bayern Agenda: Book One of the Galactic Cold War

The Bayern Agenda: Book One of the Galactic Cold War

A new Cold War threatens the galaxy, in this fast-paced and wisecracking thriller of spies and subterfuge.

Simon Kovalic, top intelligence operative for the Commonwealth of Independent Systems, is on the frontline of the burgeoning Cold War with the aggressive Illyrican Empire. He barely escapes his latest mission with a broken arm, and vital intel which points to the Empir
Published March 5th 2019 by Angry Robot

To ask other readers questions about The Bayern Agenda, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bayern Agenda

Anissa
This had a bit of a slow start that while mildly interesting was more focused on making sure the reader knows that the characters have good banter and prior history. I didn't mind that but it seemed to almost eclipse the set up of the thing that, according to the title is the bigger deal: The Baryern Agenda also known as, the plot. For the first 20% or so there's nary a mention or seemingly any urgency by Kovalic, his ops team or handlers to do something, anything with the scant intel they got f ...more
Paul
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Commonwealth and the Illyrican Empire are, on paper at least, at peace. The truth however is far more complex. Factions within factions have distinctly different ideas about this uneasy truce. Simon Kovalic exists in the front line of an invisible war. He and his team of counter-intelligence agents are tasked with attempting to stop any plot from boiling over into the resumption of direct conflict.

It’s probably unsurprising to discover the Kovalic is a complicated soul. The political machina
Lukasz
3.5/5

I greatly enjoy a mix of dramatic elements and high-tech, but I prefer books that focus more on characters than on scientific ideas. That makes Space Opera a perfect subgenre for me as it usually delivers a full package. And more, depending on the grandness of the vision and the focus of the story.

The Bayern Agenda fits in the genre, but I wouldn’t call it a pure Space Opera (if such a thing exist). Consider it a sci-fi spy thriller, set against the backdrop of a galactic cold war between
Etienne
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been a lifelong fan of the science-fiction genre, and developed a taste for the more grounded and realistic variety of spy novels after discovering John le Carre in my 20s.

The Bayern Agenda combines the best of Le Carre's Cold War era spy novels with the galaxy-spanning conflict central to space opera. If anything, I would classify at as a spy novel that happens to be set against a science-fiction backdrop, with the action taking place several centuries in our future.

At its heart is a twi
Rich Saskal
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first thing I'm going to say is that this book may be book one of the Galactic Cold War series, but it was preceded by another book (for a different publisher), The Caledonian Gambit, and that book does offer a lot of insight into the characters' motivations and relationships.

The Bayern Agenda is in my reckoning a notch better in terms of craftsmanship, put together a little tighter than its predecessor. It's basically a spy caper, in a universe that's a lot like ours, except that there are
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
This kept me guessing until the end. This is book one in the Galactic Cold War series but Eli Brody and Simon Kovalic were featured in The Caledonian Gambit a previous book put out by another publisher. As a result there were some things in the world building and back story that must have been covered in the previous book. This is plain and simple a spy story and there is no one you can trust. The current cold war is in danger of heating up and Kovalic and team have a lot to discover to keep it ...more
Andrew McIntosh
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
A good followup to The Caledonian Gambit.

Despite the synopsis focusing on Simon Kovalic, the story passes between him and Eli Brody just as in The Caledonian Gambit, which suits me just fine.

I quite enjoyed it. I think the writing is slightly improved over The Caledonian Gambit, though I think I enjoyed that novel just slightly more as I feel Caledonia as a setting was a little more detailed and fleshed out than Bayern. That being said, Bayern was also a really interesting and evocative setting.
Robert
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Moren's first book, "The Caledonian Gambit", was one of the best books I read in 2017. Turns out it's just the prologue to a new series – book 1 of which is "The Bayern Agenda", and which manages to be even better.

Moren's conversational style of writing is gripping and entertaining. He manages to create compelling characters and construct a world full of intrigue. The plot is entertaining and fast-moving – carrying the reader along.
Justin
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book brings all the sly, back stabbing Cold War spy tactics and slams it into a chess game between two galactic powers. If you are looking for a step away from the typical science fiction space battle, this is your book. I find myself itching for something new in a very saturated genre and few find a way to merge others together successfully. I truly look forward to his next work.
John Payne
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book fleshes out the characters introduced in The Caledonian Gambit. Although this is pitched as the first book in the Galactic Cold War, and could be a jumping on point, I think a reader would be better served by reading the Caledonian Gambit first.

Just like the prior book, this pulled me in to this world (universe?) and I really enjoyed the ride.
Dan Sherman
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really fun read, like Ryk Brown's Frontiers Saga (A Rock and a Hard Place), but a spy thriller instead of space combat.
Simon Welsh
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable space opera. While the second book Dan Moren has written in this universe, following mostly the same characters, it is easy to approach for those that haven't read The Caledonian Gambit.
Simon
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recent Reads: The Bayern Agenda. Dan Moren's interstellar spy thriller blends le Carre with caper to deliver one of the most entertaining reads of 2019. Sometimes your enemy isn't who you think it is. Twisty turny fun fun fun.
James Thomas
Shelves: laser
Just like the title says it's a cold war spy thriller on a galactic scale. The characters are interesting enough I want to learn more about them and I expect the universe to get fleshed out as the series goes along. Will be buying the next installment when it comes out.
Bob Wertz
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this sci-fi spy thriller. Great story. Well developed characters. Fun read. (While you don’t need to read The Caledonian Gabmit first, you may want to, if only to understand the character’s backgrounds in a little more depth.)
Kevin Likes
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book builds from start to finish. The plot grows more and more complicated, but never spirals out of control. The author builds to strong action scenes, but never neglects character development. I'm very much looking forward to the sequel.
Jon
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Like Bourne made a baby with The Expanse

SciFi/SpyFi... super fun read, intriguing and compelling. I honestly can’t wait for the next story I’m Kovalic’s journey. Well drawn characters, locations that feel real, and a plot that makes sense without being obvious...
Jason
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good old-fashioned Cold War spy story... but in space! It has all the beats and action of a classic spy story, but the sci fi setting allows for some fun twists and more modern technology. I’m eagerly awaiting the sequel!
Doug
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
Not sure why, but I didn't think it was quite as good as The Caledonian Gambit, but still a damned good read. Now the long wait until the next book comes out.
Todd
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
I really enjoyed this book. I liked “The Caledonian Gambit” but thought this one was even better. I enjoyed the further development of the characters and I look forward to the next one!
Dan
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Moren has created another thrilling tale of intergalactic spy craft, the last 150 pages completely absorbed me and I couldn’t put it down until I finished.
Taltoz
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best sci-fi spy books I have read. The characters are well written and I cannot wait for the next book in the series.
Lissa
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable adventure series
Michael Hirsch
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Very well done space opera/spy thriller. Though it had a fairly light hearted tone throughout, it was never silly or played for laughs, and the ending was quite a bit grittier than expected.
D
Apr 14, 2019
H
Mar 22, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Dan Moren is the author of the sci-fi spy novel The Bayern Agenda, released in March 2019 from Angry Robot. His first novel, the rollicking sci-fi adventure The Caledonian Gambit, was published by Talos Press in May 2017. His work has also appeared in The Boston Globe, PopSci.com, Yahoo Tech, The Magazine, Tom's Guide, TidBITS, Six Colors, and Macworld, where he formerly worked as a senior editor. ...more