Start by marking “When I Found Grandma” as Want to Read:
When I Found Grandma

When I Found Grandma

When Maya’s grandma makes a surprise visit from thousands of miles away, Maya is delighted. But her excitement doesn’t last long. When Grandma picks her up from school, she wears fancy clothes and talks too loudly. Grandma’s morning prayer bells wake Maya up, and she cooks with ingredients Maya doesn’t usually eat. Plus, Maya thinks cupcakes taste better than Grandma’s hom ...more
Published March 1st 2019 by Groundwood Books

To ask other readers questions about When I Found Grandma, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When I Found Grandma

Start your review of When I Found Grandma
Lata
Cute story of a young girl living in Canada (in Toronto, I suspect) getting to know her grandmother, who’s visiting from India. They both have to get used to each others’ differences, but there’s warmth and caring to get them through it.
La Coccinelle
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Sometimes I have a difficult time with books like this. The culture clash can be strong, and the end result can be confusing. It's hard enough for adults to try to balance two cultures; it must be even more difficult for kids. Often, I find myself getting quite angry on behalf of the children in these books who are caught in the middle, being raised in one culture and yet called upon to follow the ways of another, even when it causes embarrassment or worse.

Overall, I did enjoy the story. Maya's
Alex  Baugh
Maya, whose Grandma lives far away in India, really wishes they lived closer together the way her best friend Kim and her grandmother do. But when Grandma comes to visit, Maya's excitement doesn't last very long. When Grandma comes to school to pick her up wearing a colorful sari and lots of bangles, Maya is embarrassed and refuses to let her hold her hand. And why can't Grandma call her Maya instead of Mayalakshmi? But when Grandma wants to go to the temple to pray before going to the amusement ...more
Maya wishes she had her grandmother in everyday life, but when Grandma comes to visit from India, Maya finds some of her ways strange and embarrassing. Then Maya gets lost at the fair, and her Grandmother uses her strangeness to find her again. Maya learns that she can learn about her heritage and appreciate it through her grandmother's visit. Then she sees too, how all families have their quirks or culture...it is nothing to be ashamed of.

For some reason, this book made me feel really emotional
Molly
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
A young girl is embarrassed by the ways of her grandmother who has come to visit from far away. However, she learns to embrace her grandmother's differences and they become friends. This is a lovely story about learning to embrace cultural and generational differences.
Miss Sarah
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
A young girl wishes her grandmother lived closer but then when grandma comes for a visit she wishes she fit in better. Nice cultural mix. Elementary and up
Becky B
Maya wishes that her Grandmother were closer, but when she gets her wish and Grandma comes to visit Maya is embarrassed by her clothes, annoyed by her habits, disgusted with her food, and starts to wish she hadn't come. But when she gets lost at the amusement park, who comes to her rescue?

I think just about every child has one grandparent who forces them to eat foods they don't normally try. But this usually ends up a good thing. Maya faces some major culture clashes, but that is also a good thi
Kelsey

Recommends it for: Preschool-2nd grade
Identity of character: Indian-American girl, Indian grandmother
Identity of author: Indian-Canadian
Identity of illustrator: Chinese-Canadian

A long-awaited visit from her grandmother is not what Maya was expecting. The sweets she brings don't taste right, she wears "fancy" clothes, and Grandma embarrasses Maya in front of her friends by calling her by her full name. Grandma makes a sweet gesture to accommodate her granddaughter's Americanized identity by wearing pants and buying an "all-American h
Gretchen
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classroom-use
As I read this book, I couldn't help but think of Drawn Together by Minh Le. Both books talk about children wanting to get close to their grandparents but because of cultural and language barriers, it seems difficult and embarrassing. In this book both the granddaughter and the grandmother try to reach each other in different ways and interest them in things that they are interested in. It is difficult because of the many differences. But, when they both see that giving a little and learning to ...more
Diane
A little girl wishes that her grandmother could be in her life, though her grandma lives in India. But when grandma comes for a visit, Maya doesn’t seem to enjoy her company at all. She calls her by her whole name, Mayalakshmi, and her treats don’t taste as good as cupcakes. Then, instead of going to the Island, Grandma wants to go to temple to celebrate Holi. Maya has had enough!

So, the adults change their plans and take Maya to the island. And it is on the island that Maya sees just how much h
Lynn  Davidson
Jun 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Maya wished her grandmother could meet her after school like her friend's grandmother does with her. The problem was that Maya's grandma lived thousands of miles away, in India. One day she was surprised when her grandma arrived for a visit! But Grandma's ways and cooking and style of dressing were strange and Maya was embarrassed when she showed up at school to get her. It wasn't until Maya got to know her grandma a little better that she felt better about her.
Sweet story with lovely illustrati
Susan
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Attempting to force-feed her granddaughter nuts didn't endear her to me, but I was glad Grandma finally got the message and started calling Maya by the name she preferred. Overall, the story was cute, but brought back bad memories of my own grandmother telling me repeatedly that she preferred my curly hair short (not the way I preferred it, which was long). It would be a good story for kindergarten but for the illustrations, which are quite delicate.
KDV
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
An honest look at a child being a brat and disrespecting her elders! I was so scandalized by the behavior that I had a hard time enjoying the book -- ha! There's some wiggle room for treating your parents badly but NEVER your grandparents! Anywho, it's not a bad book. Just not for me. Soft and lovely illustrations.
Kelly
This is a nice story of a little girl who really wants to see her grandmother who is coming from another country, but once she gets here, the granddaughter is embarassed by her grandmother's traditions.
Tracie
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Maya would like their Grandmother to visit from overseas, and has to adjust her expectations when that happens. When Grandmother's visit is over, Maya misses her and helps another classmate with a similar experience.
Alyssa Gudenburr
A super cute book about a child who is embarrassed by her grandmother. By the end of the book they each learn from each other and become friends. This would make a better one-on-one story due to the small pictures and length.
Sera
Oct 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm awestruck and comforted after reading this picture book. I felt like I was simultaneously reading a personal story from my life and getting a peek into someone else's. I like that diversity in age and culture was featured in this story. Need more of this!
Engel Dreizehn
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-2019
Relatable intimate story for kids from immigrant culture parents when the grandparents come to visit from the "old country" and a great-basic overall of certain Indian customs and culture.
Sasha Boersma
Beautiful book for children embarrassed about being between their life in Canada/US and their family’s international roots.
Shim (שמעונה)
Awww
Erin
I thought this was an adorable look at the relationship between a granddaughter and her visiting grandmother.
Monique
Such a lovely, lovely story about the relationship between a grandmother and granddaughter.
PvOberstein
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good story about intercultural, intergenerational, and familial awkwardness & embarrassment. ...more
Emily
Sep 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cultures-rec
Ages 4 and up. A sweet story of a girl in Canada who learns to navigate the cultural diversity of her own family when her grandmother comes to visit from India.
Sophia