Start by marking “Paradise, Maine” as Want to Read:
Paradise, Maine

Paradise, Maine

They needed a place to get away from it all... they'll never be coming back.

When Darren and Vanis set out to free themselves from life's anxieties and rekindle their relationship, a trip to the beautiful Maine coast sounds perfect.

The breathtaking views and gorgeous cabin seem like another world. One to get lost in and from which they never want to return. But something ha
Published March 15th 2019 by Alien Agenda Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Paradise, Maine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paradise, Maine

Michael Hicks
Mar 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, netgalley
My review of Paradise, Maine can be found at High Fever Books.

I dug Jackson R. Thomas’s debut effort, the fun coming-of-age werewolf affair The Beast of Brenton Woods. Taking an extreme horror-fueled trip into the woods for Paradise, Maine for his sophomore story was pretty well a no-brainer.

Almost immediately, you can feel the ghost of Jack Ketchum in these pages, and it’s clear right from the outset that works like Off Season were a huge inspiration in Thomas’s writing. Paradise, Maine follow
Topher
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Welcome to Paradise! Paradise I said! Where it's blue skies! Clear waters! The peace and quiet of solitude! Zen and happiness at it's best!

Isn't it amazing how a good getaway is mind relaxing? How a trip into Paradise does a person some good. Not to mention your marriage after you tremendously messed up. Breath in, breath out.

Everything you ever wanted in a getaway and Jackson R. Thomas brings all those aspects of paradise alive with a nasty twist! Maybe an ugly twist is an understatement?

So,
Irene
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Darren and Vanis have hit a rocky patch in their marriage and hope that a romantic getaway to the coast of Maine might help get their relationship back on track. What they don't know is that the locals have a secret, and by the time they find out what it is, it may already be too late.

There's something living in the wild. More beast than man, the locals call it The Watcher. They don't bother it and it doesn't bother them, but there is a price to pay.

"Once every few months, they had to ignore th
Steve Stred
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 star review coming to Kendall Reviews!
Jesse Bollinger
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
i've read both of Jackson Thomas's books. the beast of Brenton Woods was one hell of a werewolf novel. Paradise Maine went in a totally different direction. it's a brutal story of a couple trying to survive when their vacation to fix their marriage is interupted by a crazy maniac called The Watcher. we were treated to some great character developement along with scenes of extreme horror. we care about these characters which makes their struggle all the more engaging. i've read a lot ofbrutal hor ...more
Cats of Ulthar March of Shoggoths
I expected an exciting horror novel. There was quite a plethora of violence, sex, and some characters who should not even walk the Earth. I am not certain whether the premise on which this novel is based occurred because of greed or of a "mad scientist" type of research. Truly, it could be either, and certainly a lot of money was routinely paid to maintain silence. In some ways I thought of Nazi Germany and how citizens "turned their heads" and ignored the cattle trains, the smoke, and the smell ...more
Deborah G. deAlteriis
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very Laymonesque!

If you like Richard Laymon you will enjoy Paradise, Maine. This book takes me back to "The Cellar" and "The Funhouse". Good old-fashioned deformed killers in the woods. Can't beat that!
Mary
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well, I'm certainly glad that I wasn't reading this while I was off camping all by myself in the middle of nowhere. I've got a couple of months to forget this book before camping season starts, but then I'll probably think back on it during my first hike when I hear that strange animal cry or that stick break in the dark woods.

A young couple wins a week at an insolated cabin in Paradise, Maine. The timing is perfect for them as they need this time to reconnect and it works like magic. They make
Kim Napolitano
Mar 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Terror in the woods!

First I love this author, his other book The Beast of Breton Woods is a super favorite, well written and amazing! This story runs the close same, monster in the woods, a feral madman left loose to do horrific things with enablers practically feeding the monster themselves. No reason given why, we readers are only left to wonder why this is left to happen? Tourism in Paradise Maine sucks, in more then one way.. your basically food for The Watcher and this town covers it up, p
Mommacat
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review Copy

3.5 stars rounded

Shades of Jack Ketchum! Paradise, Maine is brutal, sexual and gory. That on it's own made it for a fast, fun read. If it had been a slasher flick it would make perfect sense and stand on its own and work perfectly well.

This was a novel (or a long novella) and the writing was confusing if one was trying to follow the dots and figure out all the hows and whys. Thomas answered some questions, but left too many unexplained. Plausible it wasn't. But that isn't why we read/
Robin Fuchs Brumfield
Mar 17, 2019
Karen Bullock
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding!

5 stars for this intense, fast paced story.
After having been asked by the publisher to read this second book by Jackson R.Thomas in exchange for an honest review I have found this story to be entertaining as it was not merely just a horror story but a intense mix of horror & psychological suspense.
The building tension & anxiety grows heavier with each passing chapter.
As the momentum draws near & the heady cast of characters leaves the reader on edge, it's like a punch to
Valerie
Emily
Mar 18, 2019
Horror Aficionados : New splatterpunk release 1 8 Mar 15, 2019 07:55AM
Splatter Punk: New Release 1 1 Mar 15, 2019 07:51AM
Jackson R. Thomas has lived in Colorado, New York, and now resides in Coopers Mills, Maine with his cat, Gizmo.

He loathes social media, and has worked as a janitor, fast-food slave, record store clerk, and night auditor at an unnamed hotel on Route 1.

He loves horror books, horror films, and the band, Ministry.