Start by marking “Neon Prey (Lucas Davenport, #29)” as Want to Read:
Neon Prey (Lucas Davenport, #29)

Neon Prey

(Lucas Davenport #29)

Lucas Davenport pursues a prolific serial killer who has gone undetected for years in the newest nail-biter by #1 NewYork Times bestselling author John Sandford.

It was a relatively minor criminal matter, all things considered, but enough that the US Marshals obtained a warrant to enter the home. They didn’t expect to unearth trophies from a score of killings.

Now Davenport
Published April 23rd 2019 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

To ask other readers questions about Neon Prey, please sign up.
Arrel I agree with Rachel! Pick this one or any other - if you like it, there are about 30 or so others. The Lucas Davenport ones are great, but try a…moreI agree with Rachel! Pick this one or any other - if you like it, there are about 30 or so others. The Lucas Davenport ones are great, but try a Virgil Flowers book as well. I hope you will enjoy them as much as I have - I am already waiting for the next one.(less)

Kemper
I received a free advance copy of this from NetGalley for review.

What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas. And if what happens is that you get eaten by a cannibal while there you'll definitely be staying in Vegas.

Clayton Deese was an enforcer/hired killer for a loan shark in New Orleans who gets arrested after one of his jobs go wrong. Since Deese has a lot of skeletons in his closet he jumps bail and disappears. Actually, the skeletons are in graves behind his house, and Deese had a habit of cutti
Tim
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When it comes to interest and action, there are few better authors than John Sandford. Neon Prey is no exception and another superb effort. 10 of 10 stars
Maureen Carden
Neon Prey by John Sandford has easily passed my old lady reading test. I read a quarter of the book, put it down for two weeks, and then pick it back up to finish. The test: remembering everything I have read and not having go back to refresh my memory. Neon Prey was an easy A+, no going back to refresh my memory of the story or characters.
Yes indeedy ladies and gentlemen step right up and read Neon Prey. You won’t be sorry, unless you don’t like graphic crime stories.
There isn’t a crime I can
Monnie
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Only a couple of authors have written separate serial books featuring two different characters I absolutely love, and John Sandford is one of them. For years, law enforcement agents Virgil Flowers and Lucas Davenport have been never-miss favorites. It is the latter who takes center stage here (although happily, Virgil makes a couple of appearances as well).

That said, most characters in long-running series - at least in my experience, and I'll cite as examples works by both Jonathan and Faye Kell
Janet Newport
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you NetGalley and G.P. Putnam's Sons for this arc.

I've always enjoyed John Sandford's Prey novels and this one (# 29) didn't disappoint. Lucas is still with the Marshall's service and it was great to see Bob and Rae back too as his trusted sidekicks. In Neon Prey, they has to scramble from New Orleans to LA to Las Vegas and points beyond, interacting with all sorts of law enforcement agencies. The action was non-stop and at time pretty grisly. The were bad guys galore, good guys, bad guys
Skip
May 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Lucas Davenport is now a full-fledged U.S. marshal, who is called upon for special assignments. In Book #29, he is called on for his expertise in tracking down a serial killer, Clayton Deese, who is a hit man for a New Orleans thug. After ditching his tracking device, a slew of dead bodies are discovered in his swampy backyard in Louisiana, with some showing signs of being eaten. Lucas manages to track him to L.A. where he has hooked up with some other nasty dudes in wealthy home invasions. In a ...more
OutlawPoet
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’ll admit that it took me a little bit to get into Neon Prey.

While I love Lucas (and dearly loved our little Virgil “ahem” Flowers cameo), our villain wasn’t exactly the sort we love to hate. Despite his…proclivities…I actually found him a little dull.

However, the action amped up when our chase after one man became a chase after a group of very interesting characters. I was in.

(And a little aside: props on your descriptions of Altadena. I mean, it kind of weirded me out when you basically wrot
Scott
May 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
To begin with, I think it is only appropriate that I admit to being a fairly avid reader of John Sandford, especially a fan of his Lucas Davenport “Prey” series. A pretty big fan to be honest.

When we last saw our fearless hero, Lucas Davenport, he was getting comfortable in his federal marshal job which afforded him lots of freedom in cases he investigates. He had two agents assigned to him – Bob and Rae - both of whom are witty, hard-working and never lack an opinion. When this book begins, we
Chris Conley
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my, 29 Lucas Davenport books and there is some new weird twist every time. This one just keeps turning on a dime.
Bicky
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
I have never been disappointed by a John Sandford novel. But with this book, I am flabbergasted. The villain is dumb but lucky, Lucas Davenport shows no special insight and the repartee between Lucas and his colleagues Rae and Bob is flat. Unless you have a compulsion to read every 'Prey" book, avoid this one. 2* because I managed to finished it. This is really strange, considering his previous 'Prey' book - Twisted Prey was excellent.
RachelW (BamaGal)
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Good ending; but it was a long, dry read getting there. I know I have said the last couple of books that I feel this series has gotten routine, boring, and I prefer Virgil Flowers. Yet here I am again...
Steven Laing
Sep 02, 2018 marked it as to-read
Waiting for the next one. Have read all of the Prey series and will continue to purchase them as they are written.I found Wicked Prey on a bus bench with a note attached stating read this? Been hooked ever since. Lucas Davenport is the man.
Alan
Only half of a book, and a repulsive one at that
Review of the Audible Audio edition (2019) narrated by Richard Ferrone

I’m not going to bury the lead here. This book mostly consists of several set pieces where Lucas Davenport and the U.S. Marshals with occasional other police forces are closing in on/and or confronting the villains. These scenes are then completely repeated from the other point of view i.e. first we get the police side in its entirety and then the entire scene is retold from the
Stephanie
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
There aren’t many authors whose latest book I eagerly await, and who maintain a consistently high level in terms of plot, character, and entertainment value. John Sandford has been one of those (along with Michael Connelly, Michael Robotham, Robert Crais, and Elizaeth George (OK, a few clunkers in the Lynley series, but overall still a fave). I was a bit surprised to realize that his latest, Neon Prey, is #29 in the Lucas Davenport series. I’m pretty sure I have read them all, and over the years ...more
Woodstock Pickett
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, suspense
How he does it, I don't know, but Sandford never disappoints. From the steamy back woods of Louisiana, where a cops discover a stash of cannibalised bodies to the dry heat of Las Vegas - Lucas Davenport tracks the cannibal, who travels with a group of home invasion artists. Things go dramatically wrong for the bad guys, and meticulous police procedure keep Davenport and assorted other feds close on their heels.

This is, I think, the 29th book in the Prey series. I've enjoyed every one.
Jim
Blackstone Audio had this available on their site, so I grabbed it even though the library will get it. Likely it would be 6 months before I got it & I didn't want to wait. Glad I didn't. It was good, about the same as the rest of the later novels. I know some don't like his move into trouble-shooting US marshal. It is a bit over the top, but I like the idea.

One of the things I really appreciated was a really stupid move on Lucas' part & the cooperation with the locals. One time they sh
Nancy Goldberg Wilks
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Neon Prey is the 29th book in John Sandford’s Lucas Davenport series. In this installment, we are reunited with deputy U.S. Marshall Davenport and two of his co-workers, Bob and Rae.

Clayton Deese is a hired goon who failed to make a required appearance while on bond. When law enforcement went looking for Deese at his Louisiana home, they instead found numerous graves with murdered, cannibalized remains. Just the sort of case to interest Marshall Davenport. Suspecting that Deese has fled to his
Art
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's always a treat to see a new Sandford on the shelves. And this one doesn't disappoint.

Granted, Lucas Davenport is getting a little bit older and a little bit slower. But he still has some great adventures.

He and the US Marhalls are chasing a hired killer/cannibal. There's a of shooting and a high body count. There may be a bit more from the side of the bad guys than from Davenport's perspective --- and the cannibal killer is very unlikeable.

But it may be worth the entire book to picture the
Randal White
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How does Sandford do it?
I mean, book after book, he continues to make Lucas Davenport, (or, in his other series, Virgil Flowers), interesting and intriguing.
This edition is no different. Davenport is hunting another BAD guy, this time a serial killing psycho, who, by the way, just happens to be a cannibal also! The buildup is great, and the action scenes exciting. You feel like you're riding in the car with the main character as he builds his case.
I'm not going to give away the plot, it would
Kay
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, thriller
Terrific read! From the swamp of Louisiana to Las Vegas strip, Lucas Davenport was on the hunt for a hit man who didn't let good meat go to waste.
The only reason it's not a 5 star is because he didn't beat his previous book goodness: Twisted Prey which I love. Read it if you like crime novels!
Garlan ✌
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Done! Another good read from Sandford, the latest in the Prey series. Really fast paced and action packed.
Sara
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-books
This is the latest installment in the successful Lucas Davenport series. As always it is well plotted and paced, with familiar, comfortable characters. The brief appearance of Virgil Flowers makes me anxious to read his next installment, too.
Ed
May 08, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
One long boring chase scene!
Joyce
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars

This book is a thrill ride with near non-stop action.

Clayton Deese is a bad, bad guy. He is a “fixer” for a lawyer/loan shark/bail bondsman named Roger “Rog” Smith. Smith is a slime ball and Deese does his dirty work for him. You want someone beat up? You want them killed? Deese can do it for you, no problem. Deese has a secret, even his boss doesn't know about.

When a “job” goes wrong, Deese is arrested on a federal charge. He then skips bail. Enter the FBI and the US Marshalls.

The two

Netgalley ARC

Neon Prey :

Book synopsis

Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love Davenport, and this was a decent installment in the series. The novels since Davenport joined the Marsals, however, have been really high on violence and quite a bit lower on investigation. These more recent novels have still been highly readable, they’re just moving in a direction I find less interesting overall.
Donna
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. Clayton Deese is muscle for hire for a wealthy loan shark. The last job didn't go so well due to a witness recording everything on her cell phone. Deese is picked up right away but soon bonds out. Seven months later, U.S. Marshalls Rae and Bob are looking for fugitive Deese after his ankle monitor went dead. At his cabin in the backwoods outside New Orleans, they didn't find Deese but they found his graveyard. Who knew he was also a serial killer and a cannibal at that! This is the po ...more
Darcy
SassafrasfromAmazon
I never thought I would ever say this about Sandford's Prey series--this book was simply a mediocre offering. Typically, Lucas is in the thick of things, and he's able to figure out the "wanted" killer's possible next moves. Lucas is a leader. He has been shot, but he slowly bounces back (as he has in the past).

Nevertheless, in this book, Lucas is NOT the leader in the hunt for the home invasion gang and the cannibal contract killer. In fact, it seems he is just a cog in the wheel that involv
Chris
May 01, 2019 rated it liked it
The 29th book in Sandford’s “Prey” series has all of the elements a fan would expect, a truly creepy villain, unexpected plot twists, sophomoric humor. I was more riveted during the first third of the book than the rest of it, the plot seemed tighter up to that point and meandered a bit after that. It was still an entertaining read, but I would not recommend it for those upset by violence as there are a few particularly rough scenes (still, what sensitive reader would be picking up serial killer ...more
Play Book Tag: Neon Prey by John Sandford - 4 stars 5 15 May 10, 2019 11:09AM
Goodreads Librari...: Combine Editions - "Neon Prey" by John Sandford 2 217 May 02, 2019 11:25AM
NEON PREY by John Sandford 1 6 Apr 22, 2019 03:38PM
Around the Year i...: Neon Prey, by John Sandford 1 10 Mar 01, 2019 01:38AM

• Redemption (Amos Decker, #5)
  • Wolf Pack (Joe Pickett, #19)
  • A Dangerous Man (Elvis Cole #18; Joe Pike #7)
  • The Fourth Man (Jack Reacher, #23.5)
  • Mission Critical (Gray Man, #8)
  • The Last Widow (Will Trent, #9)
  • Celtic Empire (Dirk Pitt, #25)
  • The Last Second (A Brit in the FBI, #6)
  • The Chef
  • The Malta Exchange (Cotton Malone, #14)
  • The Big Kahuna (Fox and O'Hare #6)
  • Someone Knows
  • The Wedding Guest (Alex Delaware, #34)
  • A Conspiracy of Bones (Temperance Brennan #19)
  • Ninth and Nowhere
  • Out of the Dark (Orphan X, #4)
  • The Bourne Nemesis (Jason Bourne, #15)
  • An Honorable Assassin (Nick Mason, #3)