Start by marking “Home Is a Window” as Want to Read:
Home Is a Window

Home Is a Window

A family learns what home really means, as they leave one beloved residence and make a new home in another.

Home can be many things—a window, a doorway, a rug…or a hug. At home, everything always feels the same: comfortable and safe.

But sometimes things change, and a home must be left behind.

Follow a family as they move out of their beloved, familiar house and learn that
Published April 23rd 2019 by Neal Porter Books

To ask other readers questions about Home Is a Window, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home Is a Window

Start your review of Home Is a Window
KC
Home is not just a house.
Jillian Heise
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
It's too bad they can't redo this book with a different illustrator, or different illustrations. The theme is good, but the way the Black characters are portrayed in the illustrations in an ape-like manner to their faces negates any good the story can have with the stereotypical, racist images it imparts. Here is Edi Campbell's post detailing the concerns.
Richie Partington
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
Richie’s Picks: HOME IS A WINDOW by Stephanie Parsley Ledyard and Chris Sasaki, ill., Holiday House/Neal Porter, April 2019, 40p., ISBN: 978-0-8234-4156-3

“When I’m home everything seems to be right”
--Lennon/McCartney, “A Hard Day’s Night” (1964)

“Home is washing, rinsing, and drying,
and whenever a dish gets broken, someone to help you sweep.
Home is one more hide-and-seek before bath,
bubbles if you are lucky,
and a blanket of your own -- mostly.
Home is Ms. Vera’s lamplight shared with you,
a book
Effie
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved the simplicity of this book. It would be a comforting read for anyone experiencing a move.
Beverly
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pbf-family
The poetic text shows a family at home, and describes lyrically what a home is, then shows the family moving to a new house.
Penny
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Charming and oh so true
Michele Knott
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Gorgeous picture book written with a lyrical voice about all the things a home is. A home is many things, but will it change when you move to a new house?
Leslie Marley
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beautiful, warm and inviting Home is a cozy wonderful place and teaches to be grateful for the small details. Shows a multi-cultural family which is unique.
Tasha
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A little girl celebrates her city home and all of the things that make it special. From the small touches like a basket for your shoes and plants in the corner to the lamplight at night from a neighbor’s window. Her family makes it special too, doing chores together, fixing mistakes, and helping one another. When the family moves to a new home, they take a lot of the elements that make it special with them. In the new house, they will once again create a home together.

In statements that begin
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Home is a Window by Stephanie Parsley Ledyard, illustrated by Chris Sasaki. PICTURE BOOK. Neal Porter Books (Holiday House), 2019. $19. 9780823441563.

BUYING ADVISORY: Pre-K, EL(K-3) - ADVISABLE

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

Home can mean a lot of things, but at its heart it about the familiar things and people that make you feel comfortable--AT HOME! When a family moves from the home they know to a new house, they will also find that home can still be found in the familiar things and people that come
Barbara
There's nothing quite like home and those feelings of safeness, comfort, and familiarity that are associated with home. This picture book celebrates all the wonders of home and the associated memories as a family leaves behind them as they move to another place and turn it into their home. The simple text and digital illustrations help readers realize that home isn't necessarily a place but its inhabitants and the feelings they share. While sometimes it is true that we long for the places that ...more
Anna W.
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I very much enjoyed this book about what it means to be "home." At first, I was anxious thinking about students reading the book, as many have very different home lives than the warm, comfortable descriptions outlined in the short book. (view spoiler) These are aspects toward which my students can relate. Some elements, like the cute puppy, and the neat, cozy atmosphere may not ...more
Jana
This lovely picture book is a warm and gentle celebration of all the things that make our homes special. Some of it involves the stuff of home - a chair in the corner or a special blanket; but more importantly, the people, the relationships, the feelings, and the love. With simple, lyrical text and comforting illustrations, this book helps young readers explore the specialness of home. When the family in the book packs up the car and drives a long distance to a new home - the little girl ...more
Angela
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
A mixed race family are moving home from city apartment to suburban stand alone house. Mostly it is presented from the viewpoint of a young girl about 5 years old. The tone is reassuring [although it seems sad that a person who might be the grandfather is left behind. ]The perspective is a bit mixed - sometimes looking straight on at people or a scene and sometimes looking down on them. Generally very attractive to view with details to be absorbed which tell more of the story [hence I suppose ...more
Margaret Boling
7/7/2019 ~ When I started reading this book, I was wishing that we had more books set in suburban areas. It seems that I've ready MANY picture books recently that have the brownstone "townhome" & mixed residential/commercial styles of architecture. This may be the reality for many illustrators, but there are thousands of children in the U.S. who live in other styles of neighborhoods. This book did, at least, end in a suburban home.

The illustrations leave much to consider. Here is Edi
Annalisa
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a story that speaks to everyone. It's about home, about moving, about family. The words convey depth, though they're very simple, easily understood by a young reader. Featuring a family of POCs, race/ethnicity transcend the story, appealing to everyone. The art is of a distinct style. It's not my favorite style, but it is distinct, and the illustrator has committed fully and has great talent. I will be surprised if this book doesn't get an award.
Teresa Bateman
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
In this sweet, lyrical, poignant book a girl defines home in many ways. Actions, colors, things, warmth, people--they all make up a home. But what happens when you move? When many of the things that defined your home go away, or change? The core things remain, even in a new location. Lovely, blocky, evocative illustrations by Chris Sasaki beautifully suit the text. This speaks to an experience many children face, in a warm and reassuring tone.
Barbara
May 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a lovely story that describes all the things home can be. While I love the story and most of the illustrations I was sorely disappointed in the depiction of the faces of the african american side of the family. I know it's just my opinion and you can well disagree, I just felt they were overly generalized to the point of exaggeration and distortion. I just think they could have been finessed better.
Diane
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Is home a building? Or is it more of a feeling? Home is a Hello, sweet pea, and a hug ...” It’s the people that surround you. It’s the chores you do together. It’s the activities that you enjoy with your family. So just because you’re moving, doesn’t mean you’re leaving your home. Because your home goes with you wherever you go.

A comforting book for children who are facing a move.

Pam
May 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
What makes a home? Is it the people and memories or the actual building?
Ledyard makes the point that home is portable as long as we're with the people we care about. The book also acknowledges that some items are part of what makes a house feel safe and home.
Ana Marlatt
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thought the story was simple and sweet, and a comfort to many kids who have to move homes. The book got some criticism over the illustrations. I wonder what African Americans think of it. I enjoyed seeing the mixed family as the focus of the story.
Mary
May 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
I really liked this story and the illustrations. I, however, did not like the spread of the family in the car where it looks like no one is wearing a seat belt. I know this is picky but it bothered me.
Elizabeth
I'm concerned by some of the illustrations in this book. Some of the pictures, especially a sideways view of the father and brother toward the end of the book, have faces that look awfully similar to monkeys. Did the illustrator not notice this? Is it just me?
Janet
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
A warm story in simple language showing what makes home home and faced with moving to a new home what are the “security” things that go with us.
Illustrations depict the text well. A reassuring title.
Jessica
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Written by a poet - I really enjoyed the flow to this one. A great story about the theme of moving to a new home, and the meaning of home. I think this could be enjoyed by all not just those experiencing a move.
Robin
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Gentle book about moving. Poem about what home is accompanied by a story told through warm digital illustrations that convey a sense of security and family regardless of a change in location. Highly recommended for ages 4-6, especially to start a conversation about moving.
Jared White
This is about many of the sweet things which makes a home truly home and how, when you move, many of those things move with you.

I thought it was great but I wasn't totally sold on the pictures, so I lowered it by a star than what I otherwise would have given it.
Jj
May 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
I like the text. Unfortunately, the illustrations detract and distract, in a way that I can't unsee after reading all about them online *before* I read the book (and after just having read another book with characters of color who also had unpleasantly odd depictions).
Peacegal
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
With an illustration style similar to Ezra Jack Keats, this is a reassuring story about moving house.
Mary Lee
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
The metaphors for home didn't work for me all the way through...and the illustrations are problematic.
« previous 1 3 next »