Start by marking “What Would the Spice Girls Do?: How the Girl Power Generation Grew Up” as Want to Read:
What Would the Spice Girls Do?: How the Girl Power Generation Grew Up

What Would the Spice Girls Do?: How the Girl Power Generation Grew Up

The perfect gift for the Spice Girls fan in your life!

‘Lauren Bravo is one of my very favourite writers.’ Dolly Alderton

'A joyous and energetic celebration of girlhood, friendship and pop culture. If you have ever sung into the lid of a can of Impulse body spray, you need to read this.' Daisy Buchanan

The words 'girl power' conjure vivid memories of short skirts and
Published October 18th 2018 by Bantam Press

To ask other readers questions about What Would the Spice Girls Do?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Would the Spice Girls Do?

Start your review of What Would the Spice Girls Do?: How the Girl Power Generation Grew Up
Hâf
Mar 17, 2019 rated it liked it
When I started reading this book, there was a huge rush of nostalgia and I really thought I would love it. It is a good book and an interesting one, but unfortunately for me it wasn't what I was expecting. Most of it felt like an overload of information, statistics thrown at you until your brain hurts, every now and again I'd come across an interesting new fact about the Spice Girls but not many.
This book feels catered to a very select group of individuals, it seems to be aimed at current 30 to
AnnaG
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
A lovely, happy walk down memory lane of 90s nostalgia! Lauren reminded me of all the great things about Girl Power and uncovered some aspects of the songs, I'd never even noticed. For the sections that are actually on the Spice Girls, their fans and the 1990s - definitely 5*.

The book then gets a little bit political towards the end - the idea that the Spice Girls with their capitalistic empowering individualistic message might be natural Tories is rejected as utterly absurd (despite they
Mia
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I sat and read this in one sitting on Sunday (the small perks of a dodgy stomach and a broken phone).
I knew it was going to be great, Lauren is one of the best writers out there right now (it’s a source of endless jealousy) but I didn’t expect the emotional, hilarious, rigorous head-nodding, delicious nostalgic dive into my childhood.
It’s a love letter to the girls we were, the women we are, and the powerful, strong, brave generation below us. And of course, The Spice Girls.
For years mocked for
Jemima
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Though I was three years too young to love the spice girls at their peak, I loved every sentence of this book. From the writing style to the A+ observations of pop culture, I’m obsessed with everything this author has to say
Niamh
Jan 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, memoirs
As per my comment during reading, this book needs to be fact-checked. You lose the strength behind your argument if you get your supporting quotations wrong.

This book is...interesting. It's a collection of thoughts on the social impact of The Spice Girls, whose primary success happened after I was born. Perhaps that influenced my individual enjoyment of the book, because I wasn't a teenager until the mid-2000s, rather than the mid-1990s. Bravo attempts to tie the 'girl power' message that the
Elizabeth
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not at all groundbreaking. But OMG nostalgia-fest.
Heather Larocchia
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: feminist
"But maybe we can agree that the Spice Girls were, at least, a starter kit. A set of training wheels, and a good strong push to get us moving."
Kirsty
Apr 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Pure nostalgic joy
Jessie
Sep 17, 2019 rated it liked it
I was unexpectedly surprised by this book! I picked it up thinking it would just ve funny and nostalgic, but it actually had some very interesting points. Of course the nostalgia was what made the book work best for me, but nevertheless, there were some interesting point about what the Spice Girls could have possibly meant to you while growing up, as well as what they actually gave you for the future. I don't know if I can find myself wholly in the description or in Bravo's arguments, but it was ...more
Bloss ♡
Jul 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
When I first started this, I really enjoyed the nostalgia and memories - it was like a time capsule! Although I enjoyed SpiceMania from the other side of the world, I could still relate to a lot of the childhood stories in this book.

But as it went on, my interest waned. It was a lot of naval gazing and pontification that should be taken with a grain of salt. Although I’m only a year or two younger than the author, I felt the writing try-hard and irritating. I had no idea what she was talking
Stacey
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
A witty read and really evocative of my childhood and pre-teens. I did chuckle in recognition a lot! At times it read like an extended Buzzfeed or (similar) article, but then that is the type of writing the author is commonly known for. While there are plenty of surprising facts and figures in there about the Spice Girls, the book tackles much more than this, asking thoughtful questions and exploring themes of representation, feminism, gender, class etc. The lives of those whose formative years ...more
Seona Grace
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read a lot of books about feminism. Maybe too many, I'll concede. This book was a purchase because I was just interested in the premise - I had to do something with the memories of doing the power stance on a foot stall pointing at the ceiling in a lavender tube top and pigtails. In amongst pages of nostalgia, funny jokes, and fairly standard feminist analysis of pop culture, were a few absolutely fantastic lines and paragraphs that beautifully summarised so many of those common feelings and ...more
Shari
Jan 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-books
3.5 Stars

I really enjoyed this. A short funny collection of philosophical essays waxing about the value of Spice Girls really had me reflecting the SG had on my own life after having dismissed them as just a fun band I was obsessed with when I was 8.

The main drawback was the many references to current (and possibly past) British culture that weren’t explained, making it difficult to parse or get the joke for someone not of that background.

The other challenge that books of this nature faces is
Lucy
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Until I read this book, I had never been able to explain quite what the Spice Girls meant to me. Bravo has so brilliantly encapsulated how five young women brought their own brand of girl power to the world stage in a way that stayed with a generation of budding feminists for life. I am forever grateful to those five women and to Bravo for putting to paper my inner-most thoughts and feelings. I thrust this book upon anyone who gives me half a chance.
Silver
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Silence is golden, but shouting is fun

Even though I was born in 96, in the midst of the Spicegirl ascent, meaning I’m slightly too young to have lived through the height of female empowerment these 5 girls brought... I’ve always known who they were. This book will keep you laughing, take you back in time to the 90’s, and compares your own life choices to the Spicegirls influencing you to do whatever the f*** you want! It is classy, sassy and badassy, Lauren Bravo you are a genius.
Christina Louise Allen
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you’re a fan of pop culture, Spice Girls, and are late twenties to mid thirties, then this book was made for you. Unfortunately I’m a few years younger, so although I understand the phenomenon as described, I couldn’t entirely relate to it. An enjoyable read, and I particularly enjoyed how Lauren intertwined Spice Girls to relevant social topics, mostly surrounding feminism. The only slight criticism I have is that at a few points in the book, I felt that it was quite repetitive.
Katy Chessum-Rice
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lauren Bravo has brilliantly organised this book into a series of essays structured around key elements of the Spice Girls manifesto - feminism, friendship and girl power and looking at the Spice Girls as a girl group, and as social and cultural influencers.A brilliant idea and means you can easily dip in and out of this book by reading a chapter/essay at a time. Bravo clearly loves the Spice Girls and her enthusiasm is a pleasure to read. ...more
Heather
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Listened to the audiobook. I've been trying to do more fiction as a lot of books had been quite similar but growing up with the Spice Girls, I wanted to give it a go. I didn't necessarily learn anything new about feminism and the world but I certainly enjoyed revisiting it through the lens of Girl Power and learned (or was reminded of) loads of things about the Spice Girls I had missed through being about 6 at the time of their happening.
Liley
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
I would actually like to give this book 4 and a half stars. It’s full of nostalgia and hard to put down. Wonderful if you are aged between 28-33. I didn’t give it a full 5 stars because the author hints that the Spice Girls were average looking and that it was great to see 5 average looking girls become so successful at the time. A very subjective opinion when the rest of the book is based on proper stats.
Julia
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
See, this - *this* - is the fun feminist book I've been looking for!

A perfect blend of joyful nostalgia and keen media analysis.

Did "Girl Power" mean anything? It did if you believe it did.

A wonderful way to reminisce about a simpler time, while bottling the way it made you feel so you can spray it all over your twenteens (that's what I'm calling this decade) life. Kind of like Spice Girls themed Impulse!
Lisa Kleinert
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Fun to read, but the author was far too sanctimonious for me. She presented herself as the kind of so not racist she actually becomes racist. She did not think Mel B should have been allowed to wear her favorite Spice costumes, leopard prints, because she is half black. Wtf? She had loads of problems with Scary Spice, actually, and all I could do was roll my eyes .
Alice
Jul 17, 2019 rated it liked it
I think I’m a little too young to remember the spice girls in the same way that Lauren does.

The whole book I was thinking ‘isn’t she giving the spice girls a little too much credit?’ And now? I’m not sure to be honest.

I will say that even if you weren’t a massive spice girl fan, if you are a millennial, you will still find this book hilarious and relatable.
Jenna Nelson
Aug 08, 2019 rated it liked it
I was very disappointed in this book. I thought it was going to be more quirky, fun and laughable but it wasn't. Some points of it were good and it was good going down memory lane but I just found it didn't bring anything relevant. I hoped there would have been stories on the spice girls etc but nothing major. It was easy read but wouldn't recommend it
Louise
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I ADORED this book. Brought back so many niche happy childhood memories. It's almost like I wrote the book! A fascinating look into how the Spice Girls shaped my generation's views on feminism, fashion, relationships, business etc - something I wasn't old enough to analyse at the time but was very heavily affected by. A great read and highly recommended to anyone who loved the Spice Girls.
Caitlin
As someone who grew up in the 90's, and threw herself into Spicemania wholeheartedly, this is a very important book. I want to get my old girl gang back together to support the newer generations, march, scream, shout, and jump about in wildly inappropriate shoes. It's eye opening to realise just how much of me currently is actually down to the Spice Girls. Viva Forever ...more
Becky Slingsby
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant little book by Lauren Bravo, really easy to read and full of nostalgia and relatable anecdotes. This is not just a book about the Spice Girls, it’s about feminism, how a generation of girls have been impacted by the feisty girl group of the nineties, and what this means for us today. It will leave you feeling full of girl power by the end!
Katie Donaldson
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Really great book, full of querky one liners from growing up and a interesting view point of the current standing. A great read that sums up the shared experience the girls who loved the spice girls had. They taught an entire generation that their is more than one type of women.
Kathryn Black
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've read so many books recently that all tend to say the same thing, and in terms of feminism this was no different, but it was nice to have a trip down memory lane and remember what it was like to be a young girl with endless possibilities ahead.
Natalie Bohonsky
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was super cute. As a child of the 90's, there's nothing I appreciate more than reliving those days. It's a great dive into pop culture and how they helped shape feminism along with the true meaning of Girl Power.
Pam
Mar 23, 2019 rated it liked it
I love the Spice Girls, have done ever since I can remember and I honestly feel like I always will.
They were my first true glimpse of outright fandom (before we even knew what that was).
This book made me so nostalgic and happy.

• Feminists Don't Wear Pink (And Other Lies): Amazing Women on What the F-Word Means to Them
  • Hopeless Romantic
  • Everything I Know About Love
  • Life Honestly
  • My Thoughts Exactly
  • Why Social Media is Ruining Your Life
  • The Authentic Lie
  • It's Not OK to Feel Blue (and other lies): Inspirational people open up about their mental health
  • Last Christmas