Start by marking “The Tiger Ladies (Bluestreak)” as Want to Read:
The Tiger Ladies (Bluestreak)

The Tiger Ladies (Bluestreak)

The first memoir about a woman"s experience in Kashmir, one of the most volatile and alluring places on the globe This is a magical memoir of a land now consumed by political and religious turmoil, a richly detailed story of a girl"s passage into maturity, marriage, and motherhood in the midst of anexquisite and fragile world that will never be entirely the same."For those ...more
Published April 28th 2003 by Beacon Press (first published May 14th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Tiger Ladies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tiger Ladies

Kerrie
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
I visited Kashmir in 1975, stayed in a house boat on Lake Dal, bought some lacquerware in Srinigar which I still have, visited the Mughal Gardens, and thought the place was fabulous.

But simmering under the surface were the forces that divided India during the Partition in 1947, that would eventually break Kashmir apart.

Sudha Koul tells the story of four generations of women in her family: her grandmother, her mother, herself and her daughters. Born into the Brahmin class which lay atop the socia
Ali Barrah
Apr 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ali by: Kiram
This is a wonderful book written as a narrative by Sudha Koul about her homeland of Kashmir, I would so like to be transported back to her time there where Hindu and Muslims lived side by side in harmony, even through the sever winters you feel a great warmth and the short summers sound sublime. You learn through the book that the people of Kashmir enjoy their gardens, camping and are a proud and peaceful people. A very timely book.
Tracey
Jun 29, 2010 rated it it was ok
This book is filled with beautifully detailed images and thoughts but it was difficult for me to become engaged with the author, her storytelling is not very passionate. The book is segmented into Grandmothers, Mothers & finally Daughters but each rambles on into other topics and fails to really make a distinction that is clear. Great historical information. I gave it 2 stars because I did learn something about India's culture.
Anne
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
memoir of growing up as a hindu in the beautiful Kashmir valley, traditions, tolerance and generosity. Then violence and infiltration, old ways are destroyed. The author's family mostly flee to Delhi. After a high profile career in law, she settles in US, but yearns for the beauty and simplicity of old Kashmir, surrounded by wise women and traditional godesses.
Lori
Mar 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
Beautifully written. Enjoyed reading this book.
Ray
Jul 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read it as recommended by Usha. Apart from all the details of the particular family for the more interesting feature was the life in Kashmir narrated by a person who actually lived there. Kashmir has literally become a flashpoint for Ind0-Pak war at any moment. Of course modern war is primarily against terrorism which is the modern version of the older guerilla attacks. I enjoyed the historical part relating to the Kashmir province of India and the life of "Pandits" there. They are all most li ...more
Eileen Ryan
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beautiful read. The author draws you into the magical world of Kashmir pre-war times and depicts an idyllic ancient culture where different religions co-exist in perfect harmony. The destruction of the area is equally well described and is all the more tragic considering the beautiful life they had there before.
Penny
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Lovely book about a lost-forever lifestyle in Kashmir.
Krishna Sruthi Srivalsan
Nov 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Reading this delightful memoir is like basking in the warmth of a wintry afternoon, sipping on a cup of masala chai. Sudha Koul writes about a Kashmir that once was, and sadly, will never be again. She writes about those times when Hindus and Muslims lived together as neighbours in the valley, their lives punctuated by visits from the pashmina shawl merchants, yakshas who would descend to their earthly abodes annually and demand to be fed rice, mung beans and lamb, the grand Shivarathri festiv ...more
Ape
2009 bookcrossing journal:

I did enjoy this - although if I am brutally honest, I thought it dragged a wee bit in places as it meandered a bit too much with random anecdotes and not a solid thread. This is not to say that I found the book dull or pointless, as I said, I did enjoy it, and escaping to Kashmir for a little while, which I suppose is one of the many places I will never travel to.

I really liked her grandmother. I thought she was a great old lady with such character. I had a great menta
Kirsty Anderson
Apr 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
My second reading of this book - the author's descriptions of growing up in Kashmir in a less troubled time are rich and magical. Her interweaving of the story of her family and the politics of Kashmir are both touching and heartbreaking. A book that inspires while breaking your heart. I yearn for a Kashmir that was - and will not be again... Her experience of immigrating to America at the end of the book is poignant with the comparison between her rich social life and the colour and culture of ...more
Trudy E

It took me a long time to read this book. There was so much to digest in a few short pages, that I often felt I must have read more than I did in a sitting. This memoir goes from youth to mature adulthood, and shares the sweet as well as the very painful. My heart ached as the author described the realization of what was happening in the midst of religious and political turmoil.

In this volume, you will see, hear, and smell Kashmir as only a native could describe it.
Thank you, Ms. Koul, for shar
Ashley
Apr 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sudha Koul's writing was lovely. Her stories of growing up in Kashmir make me sad that I am unable to experience it as it was before the political unrest. Her words transport you to another place and time, and each detail is so vivid that you can hear, taste, smell, and feel the descriptions. Through four generations of family she gently shows you how traditions and beliefs change, some for the better and some not as much. By the end of the book, you feel the authors same longing for the land an ...more
Christine
Jan 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book is a beautiful true story of a young woman growing up in Kashmir in a bygone era when Hindus and Moslems lived together and got along very well. It traces her life as a child growing up in a traditional home, then a young woman who takes on a very big and non-traditional job, and on to her marriage and departure for New York City. The book includes descriptions of traditional home customs, and lots of interesting Kashmiri cooking recipes.
Kristy
Oct 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. It is a memoir of growing up in Kashmir, but I felt like I was there and wished I could have grown up there. Her description of the changes that occured to bring on the civil war was heartbreaking and the perspective of the author made everything personal. When I was done reading the book I was googling Kashmir to find out the latest news on the civil war there.
Angela Joyce
Feb 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autobiographies
I didn't immediately feel drawn into this, but I'm glad I stayed with it. It's a book of intense longing for something that no longer exists, but it is devoid of bitterness or blame. I like the tone of it, and I learned, among other things, another way to view Indira Gandhi. This is a worthwhile read.
Amy
Aug 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Poetic, dream-state sort of writing about Kashmir. The author makes objects vivid--the feel of blankets, the scent and taste of tea, the heat of coals. She uses "we" in an interesting way, sometimes referring to her family, sometimes referring to everyone in a valley or all of Kashmir. Very good armchair travel.
Oct 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, memoir
With lyrical and evocative writing, Koul describes her childhood growing up in a beautiful and somewhat idyllic Kashmir before the ravages of war took over. I enjoyed this lovely window into another time and place, as well as the latter part of the book which touched on the immigrant experience in the United States.
Anna bain
May 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Descriptive book describing life in Kashmir and the comfortable feeling of people of different religions living side by side in harmony.
A heartbreaking descrpition of how lives can change so easily and how,even after moving to America, Kashmir held memories so precious in the heart of the author.
gini
Mar 24, 2016 rated it liked it
I loved how this started ... Really rich and luscious descriptions of life in Kashmir before politics and religion tore the region apart ... 2/3 of the way through it seemed to loose some steam - or maybe I just wanted to hear more of the way it was
Vanessa
Feb 02, 2010 rated it liked it
Really lovely & nostalgic, but when she talks about herself,she seems to get in the way. Nonetheless, it's an important book both in terms of getting a sense of Kashmir before it became such a highly contested place, and the way a war fought by outsiders can overturn a culture of peace.
Rdew1
Jul 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting. Personal, yet historic.
Mary Anne
Oct 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
A lovely book about life as a Hindu in Kashmir before all hell broke loose (Partition, mujhadaeen, etc).
Cicely
Oct 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If one can't travel there, this book is a good replacement.
Rachel
Feb 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Beautifully evocative story of the stages of a Kashmiri a woman's life, set against the backdrop of unease in Kashmir. Really took me there.
Barbara
Sep 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
A beautiful picture of Kashmir seen first through the eyes of her grandmother; an informative read.
Sudeshna
Aug 06, 2008 rated it liked it
A well-written book and the first that I have read which tries to give you a sneak preview of the mysterious land of Kashmir.
Aaron
Sep 04, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hard to get through. A few interesting observations and accounts of life in Kashmir as a young woman, but just not something I could recommend.
Alexa Cascade
Really intrigued by the book summary.
Jo-ann Wang
Mar 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Kashmir is breathtakingly beautiful.

• In the Valley of Mist: Kashmir: One Family in a Changing World
  • India Calling: An Intimate Portrait of a Nation's Remaking
  • The Hacienda
  • Son of Oscar Wilde
  • Brother Astronomer: Adventures of a Vatican Scientist
  • War at the Top of the World: The Struggle for Afghanistan, Kashjmir and Tibet (Revised & Updated)
  • Held at a Distance: My Rediscovery of Ethiopia