Start by marking “George” as Want to Read:
George

George

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  29,612 ratings  ·  5,783 reviews
When people look at George, they think they see a boy. But she knows she's not a boy. She knows she's a girl.

George thinks she'll have to keep this a secret forever. Then her teacher announces that their class play is going to be Charlotte's Web. George really, really, REALLY wants to play Charlotte. But the teacher says she can't even try out for the part . . . because sh
Published August 25th 2015 by Scholastic Inc.

To ask other readers questions about George, please sign up.
Jaden Diminno I have yet to read either book, however, I believe the main difference (and the reason George is getting more press) is that George is written by a tr…moreI have yet to read either book, however, I believe the main difference (and the reason George is getting more press) is that George is written by a trans author who is extremely active in the LGBTQ+ community whereas Gracefully Grayson is written by a cis author. This is also evident just from reading the blurbs about the books. Gracefully Grayson uses the whole "stuck in the wrong body" trope, whereas George isn't a girl born in a boys body. She's a girl who people perceive as a boy, which is a much more accurate representation of the trans community as a whole.(less)
Michael Bicak Hi GTown. I finished reading "George" last night. Yes, it is good. It is a wonderful, moving story for everyone. Anyone who has ever felt the least bi…moreHi GTown. I finished reading "George" last night. Yes, it is good. It is a wonderful, moving story for everyone. Anyone who has ever felt the least bit 'different' (in any way) will identify with this story. It is full of wonderful characters and deep emotion. I strongly recommend this book, without any hesitation whatsoever. My 12 year old daughter is just starting it. Hope this helps. (less)

·  29,612 ratings  ·  5,783 reviews

Start your review of George
Rick Riordan
Feb 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Middle grade contemporary fiction. This is a sweet, poignant novel about an elementary school student named George, who was born a boy but knows in her heart that she is a girl. When the chance comes to do the school's yearly production of Charlotte's Web, George knows that she wants to be Charlotte, the wise and kind mother spider, but will taking the role force her to reveal more about her true self than she is ready to share?

This is a fast read, great for giving elementary kids a glimpse of w
Emily May
Aug 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
George stopped. It was such a short, little question, but she couldn’t make her mouth form the sounds.
Mom, what if I’m a girl?

This might be the most important novel released this year. George is a sensitive, honest, and much-needed story about a trans girl.

The simplicity of the story makes it even more emotional. Alex Gino never tries too hard to turn this book into a lesson, and there is no attempt to make us cry, but - personally - I think the subtle sadness, frustration and loneliness of
Wendy Darling
This year, only two books have made me cry so hard I had to stop reading. This was one of them.

But it's not because it's sad--it's actually a sweet, hopeful book filled with the ordinary joys of childhood. It's more the understanding of how isolated the Georges of the world must feel, and the hope that every single one of us takes the time to listen, to understand, to be supportive, and to be kind.

Review to come.
Adam Silvera
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reads, audiobook
L O V E D ! ! ! !
Caz (littlebookowl)
I honestly could not give this book any less than 5 stars. It was beautiful and heartwarming. I felt so much for George and really connected to her. This book is just so important, and whilst as a middle-grade this is an easy ready with a simple writing style, I think that everyone should read it.
Claudia Ramírez
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
The cutest.
Cristina Monica
Apr 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt, middle-grade
I want to hug this book. I also want to hug George. Not only is this middle grade book heart-warming and engaging, it’s also eye-opening and important. Sadly, there are few books out there for children with transsexual characters, let alone main characters.

This book and GRACEFULLY GRAYSON are very similar. They don’t read the same way exactly (I enjoyed the former better), but they both deal with young transsexual characters who want desperately to be themselves but fear the reaction of others a
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
Well, this was just exactly as good as everyone said it was. I'm so happy after finishing this.
Riley
This was so wonderful. I've said this before but I LOVE seeing LGBTQ+ middle grade books. Society has a problem of thinking these topics are inappropriate for kids and that is so backwards and harmful.
This is about George/Melissa, a 10 year old girl born as a boy. I loved how Gino used female pronouns through the entire book. This was so lovely to see, since George thought of herself as a girl. Gino explained what transgender means in such a simple way for kids to understand.
This book is so imp
Kai
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
“It takes a special person to cry over a book. It shows compassion as well as imagination.”

This book had me right from the start. George is such a sweet and special character. You want to hug her and tell her everything will be alright.
I don't think I need to tell people how important representation is, especially for kids. I hope this book will help readers understand and open their eyes, as well as help many families and children in similar situations.

Find more of my books on Instagram
C.G. Drews
omgggg I AM HAVING AN EMOTION. Maybe even two emotions (which is a lot for my Vulcan soul). George is a downright adorable and heartwarming book. I wasn't sure if I'd like it purely because I usually struggle with being engaged with MG, but the voice and writing were PERFECT and the story was completely engaging and I adored George herself. Seriously, by the end I was grinning like a complete goofy grape. THIS BOOK. MY HEART. <3

There are so many things to love in this book. A huge one is the emp
Nat
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: diverse-reads
“My point is, it takes a special person to cry over a book. It shows compassion as well as imagination.”

This review contains *spoilers*.

I needed a breather after Crooked Kingdom, so George came at the perfect time for me to pick up. The premise of this middle-grade novel tells the story of Melissa, a ten-year-old girl who desperately wants to play Charlotte in her classroom’s theatrical production of Charlotte’s Web.

“I want to be Charlotte,” George whispered.
Kelly shrugged. “That’s cool. If you
LB
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youth, coming-of-age
This review is also posted at http://readingnookandcranny.blogspot....

Before I get into my review of this story, I need to tell you a little bit about myself, because my own personal experiences heavily impacted my thoughts on this novel.

When I was in elementary school, I did swim team and softball. In middle school, I gravitated towards martial arts and rock climbing. In high school, I played a lot of tennis, basketball and bowling. I went to college to go work in motorsports. Starting in middl
Whitney Atkinson
This book is so lovely, well-done, and important! I wish I would have read this as a kid and I just adore the fact that it exists, especially as a kid's book. George's story is so relevant and heart touching and I love the way that this one was done! I just took a star off because since it is middle grade the writing was a bit simplistic, but it was still very quick and I will definitely be recommending this to people as an LGBTQ+ read!
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Aug 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I'm so happy that this book exists.
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Assigned reading for MLIS 7421: Multicultural Youth Literature.

George is the story of a child who's realized that she is a girl, even if she was born into a body that was assigned "male" at birth. Given the subject matter, it's already a heavy read at times, but when you add in the transphobia from many other characters—including George's own mother—it's downright heartbreaking in places. That said, I don't think it would be a spoiler to tell you that this children's story ends happily, and we g
emily
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
This book is so important. I mean, so important .

George explains what transgender means and how it's manifested in kids and what it feels like for kids who are trans so simply and in a way that is so easy to understand. Granted, I am 19 years old and already know pretty well what transgender means but really Alex Gino put George/Melissa's situation in such simple terms that this has to be true. The best thing that Gino did in George was to refer to George in female pronouns the entire novel
Jonathan
Sep 07, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
PLEASE READ THIS REVIEW!!!

I don't want someone to see this one star rating and instantly write this off as someone who was offended by this book so they gave it one star. That is not the case at all. In fact I'm sure enough people are going to comment and share their opinions about the topics of this book that I'm not even going to bothering chiming in. The fact is it doesn't matter because there is a super tangible reason why no one should ever read this book. The writing is straight up terribl
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Y’all got your banned book ready? No time like the present. I have been reading at least one banned or challenged book during Banned Books Week for years now. Mainly to make sure my children always know that no one’s voice should ever be silenced. This year I chose George - because it made this list . . . .

The premise behind George is pretty simple . . .

It was such a short, little question, but she couldn’t make her mouth
Gavin
Jun 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A hugely important read for so many kids out there who need to feel seen. This is the first middle grade I've read with a trans main character. George was born a boy, but she knows that she is a girl.

All George wants is to be Charlotte in the school play for Charlotte's Web - but looking like a boy to everyone else does not reflect how she is on the inside. She IS a girl, no matter what anyone else thinks, and she WILL play Charlotte, even when the drama teacher thinks she's joking, or when her
Hannah Greendale
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
George is a children's book unlike any other and is much needed in today's ever changing, ever transitioning world.

George looks like a boy on the outside, but on the inside she knows she's a girl. When it's announced that George's class will perform Charlotte's Web for the school play, George yearns to be cast as Charlotte. But Charlotte is a girl's part, and George can't even tryout because everyone thinks she's a boy. George sets her sights on playing Charlotte and devises a plan to prove who
Lindsey Rey
Words cannot express my love for this book. I highly recommend it to EVERYONE!
Sarah Churchill
I absolutely love everything about this. I really felt for George's character, who I think is relatable to a lot of people whether they're trans or not. I'm happy to be living at a time where books like this are available to young people, and I really hope its message can help promote acceptance and understanding in everyone; teachers and parents included.
Rachel Reads Ravenously

I read this because it was a top challenged book of 2017 and I am always down to read a banned or challenged book. I think George is an important book, one that I feel opens up a discussion for young adults that they may have never thought to discuss before.

I am terrible at reviewing lately so all I'll say is this, I'm glad this book exists, I wish more like it existed. Some things in this book seemed to just glide by without conflict which confused me, but I also hope our world chan
farith
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A must read for all those who have ever felt different than the average.

In George we follow the story of this child that everybody sees as a boy but what they don't know is that he is actually a she.
There's not really a lot to say about this book, just that it's an important read that can teach you tons of things about trans people. It's also important that kids start to learn and get involved
Romie
“But the world isn't always good to people who are different. I just don't want you to make your road any harder than it has to be.”
“Trying to be a boy is really hard.”

George was assigned male at birth, but she's known most of her life that she's a girl. But nobody knows. Nobody knows about the magazines in her closet she looks at when she's feeling sad, or that she wants to play Charlotte at her school's representation of Charlotte's Web. Nobody, until she comes out to her best friend Kelly.
Whe
Sam
Jun 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq, read-in-2020
4.5/5

Oh my god I loved this! It was so cute and heartwarming and hopeful, but also very mature and serious. Seeing Melissa struggle with showing her true self brought a tear to my eye several times.

I loved the friendship between Melissa and Kelly. It was incredibly realistic for a fourth grade friendship. And I loved how supportive and accepting Kelly was. And Melissa’s family too, especially Scott.

Another thing I greatly admire about this book is that it didn’t shy away from things such as tr
Maria (Big City Bookworm)

First of all, I am so happy that this book exists. More books like this need to exist. George is one of those books that is beyond important, especially because it is written for the middle grade audience. I have come across a few other novels that deal with the same themes as George, but none of them have been written for children.

George is about a young girl who is trapped in a young boy’s body. George knows she is a girl and she is beginning to experience the effects of feeling stuck in the w
Trish
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't wait to finally hold this book in my hands ever since BookRiot recommended it - I even waited 3 weeks longer just so I could have the original edition!
And I wasn't disappointed.
The layout alone is heartwarming with the cover being in 3 different colours, doodles on the inside of the cover, nice rainbow-colored letters spelling the title on the book jacket and this dedication:
For You,
For When You Felt Different

The story is about a boy named George who wants nothing more than to pla
Lenore
Update, after a reread: 2 stars.

Somewhat unrefined writing, pigeonholing, and a perpetuation of stereotypes about gender roles.
What do we think about this book? How do we feel? 5 55 Apr 13, 2020 01:26AM
NZ Intermediate S...: George 1 9 Jul 20, 2019 10:55PM
the fluffy unicorns: George 2 8 Feb 15, 2019 10:10PM

• The Black Flamingo
  • Felix Ever After
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • Gracefully Grayson
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
  • All Boys Aren't Blue
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • You Should See Me in a Crown
  • The Poet X
  • The Prince and the Dressmaker
  • I Wish You All the Best
  • Hurricane Child
Alex Gino loves glitter, ice cream, gardening, awe-ful puns, and stories that reflect the diversity and complexity of being alive.

Gino is genderqueer and uses singular they pronouns and the honorific Mx.