Start by marking “Chosen Ones (The Chosen Ones, #1)” as Want to Read:
Chosen Ones (The Chosen Ones, #1)

Chosen Ones

(The Chosen Ones #1)

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  15,745 ratings  ·  2,829 reviews
The first novel written for an adult audience by the mega-selling author of the Divergent franchise: five twenty-something heroes famous for saving the world when they were teenagers must face even greater demons--and reconsider what it means to be a hero . . . by destiny or by choice.

A decade ago near Chicago, five teenagers defeated the otherworldly enemy known as the Da
Published April 7th 2020 by John Joseph Adams/Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Featured Notes & Highlights

To ask other readers questions about Chosen Ones, please sign up.
Stacie I agree with Katelyn. I have a 10 and 11 year old. I won’t be letting them read it. It deals with some heavy topics that I don’t think they need to be…moreI agree with Katelyn. I have a 10 and 11 year old. I won’t be letting them read it. It deals with some heavy topics that I don’t think they need to be dealing with at this age. (less)
Ryan S Hmm, why do you think so?
Hmm, why do you think so?
I don't really care tbh, I loved everything she published so far. Divergent will always have a special place in my heart (and on my body, I have a tat xD) but I liked Carve the Mark just as much.(less)
House of Earth and Blood by Sarah J. MaasThe Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes by Suzanne CollinsThe Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V.E. SchwabChain of Gold by Cassandra ClareBlood & Honey by Shelby Mahurin
Can't Wait Books of 2020
1,064 books — 2,876 voters
The New Husband by D.J.  PalmerFrom Thailand with Love by Camilla IsleyAll the Stars and Teeth by Adalyn  GraceMy Dark Vanessa by Kate Elizabeth RussellAll Your Twisted Secrets by Diana Urban
Best Books 2020
598 books — 511 voters

More lists with this book...

·  15,745 ratings  ·  2,829 reviews

Start your review of Chosen Ones (The Chosen Ones, #1)
Emily May
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020, fantasy, arc
She was by the river, the cold air burning her lungs, as she stared across the bridge at the Dark One right before their last battle. Part of her always would be.

2 1/2 stars. I realized somewhere in the last seventy or so pages of Chosen Ones that I could very easily turn this into a positive review. Threads were coming together, showcasing Roth's clever plotting, just as the action picked up and secrets came to light. There's sprinkles of humour:
“Please, for the love of God, don’t be on
Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I was not a fan of DIVERGENT or CARVE THE MARK, and found both to be very much soulless "cash ins" based on current trends. And yet, despite that, the idea of CHOSEN ONES appealed to me because of its very simple and yet original premise: what happens to the chosen ones after they complete their mission and defeat the evil force disturbing the universe? Veronica Roth is also the latest YA author jumping about the "let's write for adults
Chelsea Humphrey
This book was challenging in the best way, and I can't wait to see where it takes us in the sequel.

description

*Many thanks to the publisher for providing my review copy.
Nilufer Ozmekik
Here comes unpopular, booed review which will earn me a special throne at the minority kingdom. A promising YA fantasy/sci-fi, super heroes against the dark one and victory and its aftermath story from the brilliant author of Divergent franchise! So nothing can be wrong!

I cannot say I hate this book but I pushed so hard to finish it. I puffed, I sighed, I screamed and close the book, I napped, I had so many happy hour times (actually when you’re in quarantine, every hour or half an hour could
Mary S. R.
Jul 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of slow mysteries & literary fantasy
(4.5 ★’s)

“Please, for the love of God, don’t be one of those villains who waxes poetic about existentialist nonsense, because if you are, I really will have to cut you.”

Mary’s Tales, Part One: Interrogation by Society of Popular Attitude Maintenance (SPAM)

You’d think, having been knocked out, kidnapped, and handcuffed to a table in a cold, soulless room, my mind would be preoccupied with—I don’t know—questions, escape, even vengeance and a need to flatten the pretty nose of my kidnapper who
Vibur (hiatus)
What is this about? Well, I dunno, and neither does the author.

It aggravates me how this advertises itself as deconstructive, because that'd suggest at least a grain of original thought, and this novel has none (false advertising, I should sue). Suuure, it's a "deconstruction", but that's a plastic veneer of creativity over what is patently an uncreative novel. I don't want to be hateful, but this was thirteen hours of regurgitated rubbish and oh-gods-not-this-bullshit-again, so…. yeah. I'm fee
Ꮗ€♫◗☿ ❤️ ilikebooksbest.com ❤️
Everything I hoped it would be and more!

I am a bit surprised at some of the low reviews I have seen, because I thought this was utterly fantastic. I loved so much about it and right at this moment I can’t think of one part of this book I didn’t like. I was a bit afraid when I saw there is a second book in the works that it would end on a huge cliffhanger and I would hate the ending but there was no cliffhanger.

I can’t imagine where the next book will go but without a big cliffhanger it could re
Tatiana
Feb 26, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, fantasy, sci-fi
This wasn't as bad as I'd thought it would be. But not as good as it could have been. It's just... there was no good plot in this book.

I actually liked the tone of this novel - Sloane’s PTSD-laced, depressing voice worked for me well. In fact, I wanted to read about people getting over their trauma of carrying the burden of saving the whole world on their young shoulders. The psychology of this was interesting to me (and many other authors who had explored this before; I have a huge issue with a
Frank-Intergalactic Bookdragon
"Better to be honest than profound."

Wow, these concepts are amazing!

And that's about it.

Seriously, there are so many interesting ideas in here. Like what do chosen ones do after they fulfill destiny? How would magical powers being discovered in contemporary times effect society? There are also a lot of intriguing fantasy and sci-fi concepts that would make great stories if given room to breath.

This isn't a very long book and it's jammed with a few too many concepts that are disconnected, so alth
Debra
Jul 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Patience....this took patience.....and then some.....

This was an awfully slow build for me - at parts I felt way to slow and I do think I would have enjoyed this book more with a little more editing. But that is just me. I am finding that lately I do not have the patience for books with a slow build. That really is a case of it is me and not the book but then again...

Veronica Roth has created a fresh new world with her characters dealing with PTSD 10 years after saving the world from the Dark On
Paige
"Sometimes Sloan wondered if the world had been worth saving."

Sloan's character really was the redeeming factor for this novel. She was coated in an assortment of layers and I was never exactly sure what she would do next. I didn't really care about her, but she was the only character I felt like I knew since the other characters were underdeveloped.

The story progressed like a herd of turtles. Once one thing was over the group of Chosen Ones would move on to something else while meandering a
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
Oct 02, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
Shelves: fantasy, adult, dystopian
holy mother of god... this cover is ugly

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
Bibliophile
It's no surprise that the blurb of this book mentions Roth is the author of the Divergent series because there's nothing else really noteworthy about it. It should be a fun book. It sounds like a fun book. Five teenagers defeated the Dark One - and that's all there was to it. They were beloved worldwide, seen as idols, when in reality they just wanted to go back to somewhat normal lives after the trauma that came with saving the world.

It's true so many series wrap things up in a neat bow. Your
Angelica
Apr 04, 2019 marked it as to-read
After the raging dumpster fire that was Allegiant, I'm afraid to read this. But also...I kinda want to??

I guess we'll see.
Alexandra Elend Wolf
Can I give it 100 stars? Because that's how many it deserves.

“She had lived half her life wanting only one thing – to save the world – and the other half wanting to be left alone, which was almost the same thing as wanting nothing at all. She didn’t know what it was like to desire something between those two extremes. She wasn’t sure she was even capable of it.”

Do you ever look at a book and know, just know that it's gonna be a book that you love deep down to your bones? That it's gonna
Helena of Eretz ✰
I received this complimentary ARC from the publisher, courtesy of NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.

So...I started off REALLY liking this...AT FIRST. Then, my enthusiasm for it just lost steam. I think it may be because I've been swamped lately, but I felt no inclination to pick this up, unlike the other books on my currently reading pile, so I think that's evidence enough that I wasn't too keen on the book.

I really enjoyed the premise, from this mix of sci-fi and fantasy (think X-men
Anissa
Apr 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Just gonna leave this gif here.
h o l l i s
I'm going to start by saying I like the Chosen One trope. I do. And I also really like the post-Chosen-One-now-what-the-fuck-happens trope. I find the former is done a lot better than the latter (though we haven't had that many) but this might've been the best post-Chosen story I've read so far. I think.

There is a lot of really interesting, and quality, content in Roth's tale. The plot definitely keeps you guessing, too, as while the tone doesn't really change, the context and angle does. And al
Charlotte May
Sara
Apr 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
ARC received in exchange for an honest review ⚡

'Nobody ever prepared me for what came after. They just assumed I would never find out.'

This is the story of what happens after the evil is defeated and the Chosen One goes back to a normal life. A life they perhaps didn't ever think they would have, a normality they can't accept. Its been ten years since Matt, Albie, Esther, Ines and Sloane were picked out from a prophecy as the 'Chosen Ones' and vanquished the destroyer known as the 'Dark One'. N
Tina ➹ the girl who lives in Fandoms
Pre-Read:
WHAAAAAT!?
WHY didn't I know of THIS!?
After Carve the Mark Roth been one of my favourite authors; I know many people didn't like it, but I really enjoyed it. though I feel the Divergent vibes over this than a space sci-fi, I must wait & see. (I liked Divergent too.)
I hope this book doesn't let me down. *finger crossed*

P.s. I really don't like cover... even though it is the shade of blue I love, but it's so simple :(
Herbie
Mar 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I decided to read Chosen Ones by Veronica Roth because like most people, I'd heard of/enjoyed the Divergent series. Although this is marketed as an adult fantasy, it has moments where it reads more like a YA sci-fi.
Most of the time, I must admit, this book is hella slow. The action scenes are great, but they are few and far between. The world building is fantastic however, especially in part 2 of the book. I think my one slight gripe is that this almost reads like two seperate books in one (par
Pauline
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Ten years ago five young people were identified as the Chosen Ones and were sent on a mission to destroy a evil force they called The Dark One.
Their mission was successful and the world was saved from extermination.
Matt, Esther and Ines have been able to get on with a normal life but Sloane and Albie are finding it hard to forget the horror and destruction and suffer from the effects of this. Unfortunately on the day they celebrate the tenth anniversary of their victory Sloane has a premonition
Dennis
A bit difficult to follow along (I can get easily confused), but an overall solid adult-supernatural read. If you are a fan of fantasy, this book is definitely up your alley.
Adam
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
"Nobody ever prepared me for what came after. They just assumed I would never find out."

The Chosen Ones is Veronica Roth’s first novel that targets an adult audience, as it digs deep into themes that her Divergent series of novels casually explored. It is a Chicago-based urban portal fantasy novel, with a neat twist on the ‘chosen ones versus the Dark One’ trope. The story begins ten years after a group of five teenagers defeated the murdering and destructive Dark One. For better or for worse (i
Elizabeth
Jun 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
When the world is on the precipice of destruction, a rag-tag group of special teenagers come together to defeat the Dark One and save the world. When they triumph and the dust settles, where exactly do the successive years of peace leave these now adult saviors? Veronica Roth’s Chosen Ones explores the psychological aftermath of being the chosen heroes...10 years later.

Now famous adults, five Chosen Ones must cope with the scarring experiences of their past. Matthew Weekes is using his fame as
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
I confess, I had a very solid idea of what this book would contain in my head, and it remained true for about 20% of the book and then veered in another direction entirely. It was absolutely unexpected, but far from unenjoyable. In fact, once I wrapped my head around it, I really liked this.

CHOSEN ONES builds on the idea of "what happens after the villain is defeated?" and for 120 pages, that's what this book is. Set on Earth and focusing on Sloane, it rips away the veneer of "happily ever afte
Bethany
May 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't have any expectations going into this book, but I LOVED it! It's smart, gritty, and subversive with a prickly female main character and thoughtful, fascinating world-building. If you like twisty anti-hero stories and don't think women need to be nice, then please check this out. Also, this would make an INCREDIBLE Netflix show! Fans of Jessica Jones might fall in love with this.

Set in Chicago, Sloane and four other teens believed to be the prophesied "chosen one" defeated the evil Dark
Whitney
Overall: An engaging and magical book about parallel worlds, power, and finding and embracing who you truly are. Though I would not call this an adult fantasy novel, it is still engaging with a strong cast of characters though slightly over the top 3.5/5 or 6.5/10.

Summary: Sloane Andrews, Matthew Weekes, Esther Park, Albert Summers, and Ines Mejia fulfilled a prophecy ten years ago by killing an evil villain known as "The Dark One." This made them instant heroes and they have been living with th
NAT.orious reads ☾
1.5 STARS ★✬✩✩✩
This book is for you if… there is some otherwordly power forcing you to read it, the only other alternative being rubbish like All the Bright Places or 50SOG. Seriously, don't. Absolute waste of time.

Overall.
Attention! Popular opinion coming up. (Except if you liked this book.)

Turns out I was right predicting I'd be mad at Veronica for wasting my times with this book. It isn't until the last 25% we finally feel the suspense rising. Everything before that is pointless mea
Challenge Corner: Chosen Ones by Veronica Roth --> Starting July 26th, 2020 16 12 Aug 03, 2020 02:18AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Chosen Ones (The Chosen Ones #1) by Veronica Roth - Restarting July 26th 2020 14 34 Aug 02, 2020 08:37PM
Tome Time: Read: Chapter 45 3 7 Jun 16, 2020 07:48AM
Tome Time: Read: Chapter 37 5 5 Jun 14, 2020 08:49AM
Tome Time: Read: Chapter 30 3 6 Jun 13, 2020 04:05PM

• Outfox
  • Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)
  • Bingo Love
  • Flora & Ulysses: The Illuminated Adventures
  • Of Blood and Bone (Chronicles of The One, #2)
  • The Third to Die (Quinn & Costa Thriller, #1)
  • Darkdawn (The Nevernight Chronicle, #3)
  • Wolfsong (Green Creek, #1)
  • The Little Paris Bookshop
  • Cribsheet: A Data-Driven Guide to Better, More Relaxed Parenting, from Birth to Preschool
  • How Fires End
  • How We Fight For Our Lives
  • Heir of Lies (Black Dawn #1)
  • When You See Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #11; Gardner Universe, #20)
  • Marrow Charm (The Gate Cycle, #1)
  • The Last Book Party
  • The Halloween Tree
Veronica Roth is the #1 New York Times best-selling author of the Divergent series (Divergent, Insurgent, Allegiant, and Four: A Divergent Collection), the Carve the Mark duology (Carve the Mark, the Fates Divide), The End and Other Beginnings collection of short fiction, and many short stories and essays. Her first book for adult audiences, Chosen Ones, is out now. She lives in Chicago.

The Chosen Ones (2 books)
  • Untitled (The Chosen Ones, #2)

Articles featuring this book

“Just because something is difficult doesn't mean it's worth doing.” 11 likes
“And maybe that was the entire problem with them—he didn't see her; he saw who she could be with a few adjustments, and all she wanted was to stay busted and be left alone.” 9 likes