Start by marking “Hair Love” as Want to Read:
Hair Love

Hair Love

When mommy is away, it’s up to daddy to do his daughter’s hair in this ode to self-confidence and the love between fathers and daughters from former NFL wide receiver Matthew A. Cherry and New York Times bestseller Vashti Harrison.

Zuri’s hair has a mind of its own. It kinks, coils, and curls every which way. Zuri knows it’s beautiful. When mommy does Zuri’s hair, she feels
Published May 14th 2019 by Kokila

To ask other readers questions about Hair Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hair Love

Start your review of Hair Love
Hannah Greendale
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Oh, this is darling! Zuri's hair "has a mind of its own. It kinks, coils, and curls every which way."* It's a special day and Zuri wants an extra-special hairstyle to celebrate, but Mommy's away so she enlists Daddy's help. Talk about an adorable daddy-daughter duo! (And why is Zuri's dad such a hottie? Props to illustrator Vashti Harrison.)

Hair Love is a heartwarming celebration of love and patience, self-confidence and self-expression.
Daddy tells me it is beautiful.
That makes me proud.
I love
David Schaafsma
My family reads all the Goodreads-award-nominated picture books every year. This is book #15 (of more than 20) of 2019, and we thought it was sweet. The tale is a father-daughter story, where he tries to help her get her hair the way she wants it. Mom walks in at the end, her hair covered (without explanation, so we discussed whether she might be coming home from the hospital, or something).

Lyra (12) 3.5. Cute and simple, about a hard-working family letting their daughter express herself as she
Rod Brown
Sep 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Very sweet and cute with great art. As a former stay-at-home dad, I really appreciated seeing another father dealing with braiding and buns.
Aliza Werner
Five stars for my five stars! This book is EVERYTHING for everyone! Finally we are seeing modern Black representation about everyday families. This is more than Black girl hair. This is family love, gender roles, and celebration of oneself. Every detail...dad’s locs and tattoo, mom’s head wrap, a girl who can have a tea party and also wear a superhero cape, family photos of marriage, graduations, and generational love...is beautiful. Share with everyone you know!
Christy
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: aoc, kids
I read this with a smile on my face. Uber charming.
CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian
Cute!
Licha
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loooved this. This was so cute. I love that this was about a dad caring for his little girl's hair and finding out how hard it can be to give her the perfect hairstyle she wants for a very special occasion. It warmed my heart to see the family love in such a short amount of pages.

I immediately finished this and forced my daughter to read this.

The artwork is adorable and I loved the colors used. It's such a pretty book to look at. Loved all the hairstyles the author gave our main girl.

When we
Desiree
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: black-girl-magic
I loved this father and daughter story about hair. The illustrations are lush and inviting. Great for one on one reading!
Abigail
Jun 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for African-American Family Stories and/or Books About Black Hair
Based upon a film of the same name, also written by Matthew A. Cherry, and due out later this year (2019), Hair Love is a sweet picture-book about a little African-American girl who is determined to have a very special hairdo for a very special occasion. Her father steps in to help, and after some trial and error, they produce just what she's been looking for...

There has been an uptick recently of picture-books featuring positive messages about black hair - think titles like Cozbi A. Cabrera's
Tanesha
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: great-kids-books
OMG this book!!! Not only does it speak directly to my 2 girls, but it's for ANY parent and child who have struggled with doing hair, often to amusing results. Such a cute and heartwarming book, and beautifully illustrated. As there are so few picture books that feature Daddy as one of the main characters, I highly recommend this one for families. Loooved it!
(Note: through my job, I was able to read the advance of this book. It pubs in April 2019).
Alicia
The illustrations are lustrous and bright and beautiful. I love this style of artwork and the story is perfect. A girl getting ready (but you don't know what for specifically until the end) and needs her hair done the perfect way.

What I love is that it showcases different black girl hairstyles, but I also LOVE that as she experiments with a new one for this special day that she's WATCHING YOUTUBE VIDEOS! I'm in love with this very 2019 story because anytime we all need to learn something new,
Jason
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Timely, relevant, well-written, important. Should be in every library.
Inge
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sweet and gentle and joyful. A necessary purchase for all libraries and early childhood classrooms.
Stephanie
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best picture books I have EVER read. The relationship between the Daddy and the little girl is so special and sweet. Also, plot twist at the end of the book. The cat is also super funny and expressive. Gah, so cute.
Richard
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amazon-vine
I really enjoyed this special book about the importance ofgetting a young girl's hair right.
In the past such effort and application may have been lost on some guys. Modern men groom now though so most going into parenthood will have some idea, surely.
I am of a older generation. When left in charge my wife could only hope the timeand date of the school photographs for our two daughters would not be changed last minute.
My Mum had an expression for my style and personal appearance. "Dragged through
Allie
This book had been on my to-read list for ages, but it was constantly checked out so I didn't get a chance until recently. I hope/expect the book might experience a surge in popularity when the short film on which it is based is shown before Angry Birds 2 (so exciting!).

The story and pictures are genuinely so lovely and perfect for a library story time. I can definitely imagine doing the sound effect of the hair tie that snaps (the bane of my existence). It would also be such a good opportunity
Kareena
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Yes, yes, yes! Gorgeous illustrations, great message. The dad and daughter are so cute together!! I love that positive example that is so rarely shown in picture books! It definitely makes me want to do an outreach program with a hair school to teach dads how to do hair.
Daniela
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I ABSOLUTELY ADORED THIS AND CANNOT BELIEVE IT MADE ME CRY IN THE MIDDLE OF MY BOOKSTORE
Ekene
EVER.
I loved it.
Shari
Jun 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Another picture book about African American hair. I need to make a list, a text set, or better yet, write an article.
KSS
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
I loved watching the daddy struggling to do his daughter's hair! And I loved the fact that the dad was the light-skinned one and the mom was the dark-skinned one. The illustrations were beautiful and amazing in this book. Loved it!
Clementine
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
well i loved this one
Aisha
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was everything yes to black dad and daughter relationships , loving black hair!!!! and when the mother came home in a head wrap I just I would love to have a family like this one day . ...more
WriteTheVision
Nov 12, 2019 rated it liked it
maybe a 2.5 star on the story itself... but vashti's illustrations were lovely to look at. without question, that was the highlight of the book.
Relyn
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Relyn by: The publisher sent it to me because I am on the Missouri Show Me committee.
I loved this book. I love the little girl who loves her hair and the daddy who loves her enough to learn how to style it. I love the tender ending and the smile-making illustrations.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
It's an important day, and Zuri wants her hair to be special. Fortunately she has her daddy to help. He tries persistently to get the hair right for her, and, despite many obstacles, he succeeds.

Hair Love is a story of stick-with-it-ness and inventiveness and research, and evokes the strength of love and family and persistence in the face of trials.
Silvia Canales
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It is a special day for Zuri, a young African American girl. Mommy is out and Daddy must step up to find his daughter’s perfect hairstyle before the big event, mommy’s welcome. After several attempts, the heroic Daddy and sweet Zuri find the perfect hair style.
Hair Love, written by former NFL player Matthew A. Cherry and illustrated by Vashti Harrison, is a modern representation of African American families – specially father-daughter relationship. The illustrations are marvelous because it
Stephanie Bange
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed from an f&g.

What a charming story about a father, his daughter, and her hair!

Zuri wakes up one day and decides she needs to have the perfect hairdo. The problem is, her hair has a mind of its own. After a number of attempts, her father finds the perfect 'do for her.

In his debut book based on a short film of the same title, former NFL player and now filmmaker Matthew A. Cherry brings it in for a touchdown! It reads as if he is sharing his own experience fixing his daughter's hair
Annese
I love this. I have seen this. I have lived this. When my mom left for a trip, my dad just put two large red barrettes on the side of my baby fro and called it a day. Zuri's dad, on the other hand, is up for the challenge of the perfect style for the day. Kids and parents will enjoy this story.

I'm to the point where I love any and everything with Vashti Harrison involved. Her illustrations are wonderful! From the hairstyles, to dad's tattoos, to the self-care Youtube clip, to the face
Stephanie
I will start off by saying I'm giving this book 5 stars for the illustrations alone. I love Vashti Harrison's work; that being said this is a lovely story about a father and his daughter bonding over natural hair care. I loved the cat in this book too!!

I wish I could see the short film. I guess I will have to wait for the DVD of Angry Birds 2 (the short film appeared in theaters at the before the start of Angry Birds 2).

• Sulwe
  • The Good Egg
  • How to Read a Book
  • Because
  • The Undefeated
  • What If Everybody Thought That?
  • Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story