Start by marking “Hair Love” as Want to Read:
Hair Love

Hair Love

When mommy is away, it’s up to daddy to do his daughter’s hair in this ode to self-confidence and the love between fathers and daughters from former NFL wide receiver Matthew A. Cherry and New York Times bestseller Vashti Harrison.

Zuri’s hair has a mind of its own. It kinks, coils, and curls every which way. Zuri knows it’s beautiful. When mommy does Zuri’s hair, she feels
Published May 14th 2019 by Kokila

Start your review of Hair Love
Dave Schaafsma
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good for Matthew Cherry, former NFL football player, whose animated version of this picture book was just awarded Best Animated Short, at the 2020 Academy Awards!

My family reads all the Goodreads-award-nominated picture books every year. This is book #15 (of more than 20) of 2019, and we thought it was sweet. The tale is a father-daughter story, where he tries (for the first time) to help his daughter get her hair the way she wants it. Mom walks in at the end, her own hair covered (without expla
Calista
This story hit home with me. I love it. When I was younger my hair was much more wild and difficult to tame and keep in check. It was curly and kinky and a whole lot of fun. I did love it. As I have aged, I have lost the kink and many of the curls and my hair is easy to tame know. I still love my hair, but I miss the volume I used to have.

This little girl has some great hair. She loves to shape it into different ways depending on what she is doing and how she feels. She can put it in puffs and b
Hannah Greendale
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Oh, this is darling! Zuri's hair "has a mind of its own. It kinks, coils, and curls every which way."* It's a special day and Zuri wants an extra-special hairstyle to celebrate, but Mommy's away so she enlists Daddy's help. Talk about an adorable daddy-daughter duo! (And why is Zuri's dad such a hottie? Props to illustrator Vashti Harrison.)

Hair Love is a heartwarming celebration of love and patience, self-confidence and self-expression.
Daddy tells me it is beautiful.
That makes me proud.
I love
Mariah Carey
Oct 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book, and so do my kids. This book has exactly the message I wish I had had as a child. I’m so glad it exists.
Andrea Fleury
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Simply adorable. I cried and I smiled. The ending was sweet a bit sad but great
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
This popped up ..... somewhere???? Give me a second - I’m a Boomer. Oh yeah, this was a recommendation on my hometown library’s Instagram and if you know me then you know if the librarian tells me to do something Imma do it.

While I have plenty of hair issues myself, obviously I don’t have the same types of problems black women have to deal with. In all honesty, as someone who becomes more aware each day of the types of privilege I have had allotted to me my entire life, I have to confess thinki
Aliza Werner
Five stars for my five stars! This book is EVERYTHING for everyone! Finally we are seeing modern Black representation about everyday families. This is more than Black girl hair. This is family love, gender roles, and celebration of oneself. Every detail...dad’s locs and tattoo, mom’s head wrap, a girl who can have a tea party and also wear a superhero cape, family photos of marriage, graduations, and generational love...is beautiful. Share with everyone you know!
Rod Brown
Sep 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Very sweet and cute with great art. As a former stay-at-home dad, I really appreciated seeing another father dealing with braiding and buns.
Sue
Aug 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books

Twitter |
Goodreads |
Blog |
Instagram |

This is such a fun, touching and heartwarming story.
I remember many years ago my friends hair. She was from Jamaica and I learnt early on the techniques she went through to adorn and enrich her hair and as she would put it “ make me presentable for the men imma gonna meet at large” always made me chuckle.

This is about a little girl whose dad is left in charge. His daughters hair he has to tackle each day.

Embrace your hair. As she embraced her dad.
This w
LaDonna
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Let’s be honest. I’ve walked by Hair Love several times at my local Barnes & Noble. What did I know? I thought it was just another kids’ book about loving oneself and being proud of one’s African American heritage. Little did I know that there was more to the story. Fast forward to last week’s Oscars and the animated version of the story wins for Best Animated Short. Wow!!! Now, my interest is really piqued. It is time for me to get my hands on this book.

Yes, Hair Love is empowering. Ye
DivaDiane
Sep 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
I loved this book! It’s excellent in so many levels. Ziti has cool hair. She can do lots of things with it, but often (always?) needs help with it. There’s a special reason for wanting to do her hair up special today, so her father tries (not sure at this point where her mother is) and several attempts are Not Good, but then they find it and success!

Positive body image, involved fathers, independence, perseverance are some of the underlying positive messages that come through.

The illustrations
Deborah
Feb 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cats
With bold, beautiful, and heartwarming illustrations, Zuri wants her kinky, coiled, and curly hair to be perfect for a special day. As her feline companion, Rocky, watches, her daddy rises to the occasion with love, humor, and determination. What an absolute gem!
Lata
I saw the short first, and both smiled and cried. This story is very slightly different, but still deals with a young girl’s beautiful hair and how happy and proud she is to be able to express different sides of her personality through different styles, and how getting her dad’s help for a particular and special look is important for her mother’s homecoming. A sweet and lovely story.
Lorraine
May 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing

My baby boy loved this story so much and the tattoos were a hit. He is growing an Afro and he is loving experience.

Thank you for such positive messaging especially around Afro hair, candy floss hair as my boy calls it.
Christy
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poc, kids
I read this with a smile on my face. Uber charming.
Abigail
Jun 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for African-American Family Stories and/or Books About Black Hair
Based upon a film of the same name, also written by Matthew A. Cherry, and due out later this year (2019), Hair Love is a sweet picture-book about a little African-American girl who is determined to have a very special hairdo for a very special occasion. Her father steps in to help, and after some trial and error, they produce just what she's been looking for...

There has been an uptick recently of picture-books featuring positive messages about black hair - think titles like Cozbi A. Cabrera's
Licha
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loooved this. This was so cute. I love that this was about a dad caring for his little girl's hair and finding out how hard it can be to give her the perfect hairstyle she wants for a very special occasion. It warmed my heart to see the family love in such a short amount of pages.

I immediately finished this and forced my daughter to read this.

The artwork is adorable and I loved the colors used. It's such a pretty book to look at. Loved all the hairstyles the author gave our main girl.

When we f
Jamie (TheRebelliousReader)
5 stars. I have no interest in having kids and my niece is twelve and would give me a dirty look if I even suggested a picture book to her but this was so incredibly beautiful. The artwork, the story, the melanin, the love of natural hair, Zuri. All of it was just so delightful. I'm not gonna lie, I got a little emotional and full of happy tears at the end because it was just so sweet. Loved it and because my niece has natural hair as well I'm still going to recommend it to her even though she's ...more
CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian
Cute!
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
Sep 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: september-2020
So good!!
Kate Willis
Once upon a time, back in November, I was browsing through new books at the library when I ran across a picture book that looked ABSOLUTELY ADORABLE. ❤️ I loved the illustration style, and the story looked like a super sweet portrayal of family life (and a celebration of some pretty awesome hair). I added this book to my overly tall stack of library books and brought it home.

We passed it around the whole family, and Mom even read it aloud to share the love. 😄 I really enjoyed the story and–I’ll
Laurie • The Baking Bookworm
I'm very much a reader who can be enticed by a beautiful cover and the artwork for Hair Love caught my eye instantly at the library where I work. So naturally it had to come home with me! But this book is so much more than its gorgeous artwork by illustrator Vashti Harrison.

Written by former NFL wide receiver Matthew A. Cherry, this is a sweet story about the bond between dads and daughters, the beauty of natural hair, and family. I love the Black family representation, culture, and gender role
Latanya (Crafty Scribbles)
Beautiful! Beautiful! In Matthew A. Cherry's story, Hair Love, a girl discovers the magnificence and beauty of her hair. From puffs to twists to a giant Afro, she sings the praises of her hair's ability to change styles whenever she chooses.

With the help of her father, he makes a special day even more so as he combs and styles her hair (albeit with some trial and loveable error).

I recommend this story for black children to love their tresses in a world that does not always welcome its glory. B
Tanesha
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: great-kids-books
OMG this book!!! Not only does it speak directly to my 2 girls, but it's for ANY parent and child who have struggled with doing hair, often to amusing results. Such a cute and heartwarming book, and beautifully illustrated. As there are so few picture books that feature Daddy as one of the main characters, I highly recommend this one for families. Loooved it!
(Note: through my job, I was able to read the advance of this book. It pubs in April 2019).
Steff Fox
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have so much love for this wonderful book. Everything about it is amazing. The story, the emotion, the family. I’m especially fond of the short film that was created for it, as well.

Full review to come.
Shari
Jun 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Another picture book about African American hair. I need to make a list, a text set, or better yet, write an article.
Isaiah
Jun 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’m not crying over a book about hair. There is just something in my eye.
Teresa
Nov 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5, 4.75 or a 5 stars, I am not to sure on my rating but I really liked this book.
Dee's Reading Zone
What a cute daddy-daughter story about a father learning to tame, comb and style his daughter, Zuri's wild mane while also helping her to love her hair!!!

5 sweet stars
Aisha
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: coverly-love, own, cute
This book was everything yes to black dad and daughter relationships 💕💕💕, loving black hair!!!! and when the mother came home in a head wrap I just 🥺😭😭🙌🏾 I would love to have a family like this one day 🤩🥰🥰.
2019 Roe Reading ...: Hair Love By Matthew A. Cherry 2 4 Feb 04, 2021 06:10AM
2019 Roe Reading ...: Hair love 1 1 Oct 26, 2020 07:14AM
Goodreads Choice ...: Hair Love - April 2020 10 60 Apr 19, 2020 03:05PM
New Glo Hair Reviews - Price, Does it Work? Scam & where to Buy 1 2 Dec 29, 2019 01:52AM

• Sulwe
  • The Proudest Blue: A Story of Hijab and Family
  • Victoria's Day
  • Journey Cake, Ho!
  • When Sue Found Sue: Sue Hendrickson Discovers Her T. Rex
  • Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story
  • Lottie & Walter
  • Can Cat and Bird Be Friends?
  • Nope. Never. Not for Me!
  • This Book of Mine
  • I Have an Idea!
  • Wishes
  • Dear Boy,
  • Harold & Hog Pretend For Real! (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #6)
  • The Don't Worry Book
  • Unicorns 101
  • Cora Cooks Pancit
  • The Panda Problem
Matthew A. Cherry is an American film director, writer, producer, and former American football player. He wrote and directed two independent films, The Last Fall, and 9 Rides, and is currently an executive at Monkeypaw Productions.

Articles featuring this book

Dhonielle Clayton is a YA author, a 2018 Goodreads Choice Award nominee, and the chief operating officer of We Need Diverse Books, a...