Start by marking “The Last Voyage of Poe Blythe” as Want to Read:
The Last Voyage of Poe Blythe

The Last Voyage of Poe Blythe

Who do you become when you have nothing left to lose?

There is something Poe Blythe, the seventeen-year-old captain of the Outpost’s last mining ship, wants far more than the gold they tear from the Serpentine River.

Revenge.

Poe has vowed to annihilate the river raiders who robbed her of everything two years ago. But as she navigates the treacherous waters of the Serpentin
Published March 26th 2019 by Dutton Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Last Voyage of Poe Blythe, please sign up.
Sarah It's technically a stand alone, however, I highly recommend reading The Matched series before you read this, if you haven't already. You'll understand…moreIt's technically a stand alone, however, I highly recommend reading The Matched series before you read this, if you haven't already. You'll understand why after you read it.(less)

Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I really ended up enjoying this book. I went into this book without a whole lot of expectations. I think that I might have read one of the author's earlier books years ago but don't remember a whole lot about it. The premise sounded really interesting so I was excited to give the story a try and was surprised by how quickly I was hooked by this adventurous tale. I thought that this was just a whole lot of fun.

Most of this book takes
Alison
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is such a unique dystopian in that it feels like a pirate theme mixed with western vibes.
This follows Poe on her journey for revenge against the Raiders after they kill her boyfriend. She creates a weapon out of the ships meant to mine gold for their colony in the walls. When the Admiral gives her a ship to captain, Poe isn't sure what his end game is, and finds herself in a whole new position she isn't sure how to navigate. Poe goes in fairly cold-hearted and paranoid, and for good reason
Ashlee » Library In The Country
The Last Voyage of Poe Blythe is one of those books that sneaks up on you. Its strong in a silent sort of way, stringing you along page after page until you realize, near the end, that the story is more powerful than you could have ever imagined it to be. It's a desperate story of survival and touching in its own sort of feral and savage way. It shows us that living is more than just waking the following day and going about our routines.

The story focuses primarily on Poe Blythe, her story of rev
Jes Reads
Feb 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you so much to Penguin Teen and Dutton books for an early copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

The Last Voyage of Poe Blythe was a surprising read for me. it follows Poe on her journey of revenge following the death of the person she loves. But the story is so much more than that. Poe is stricken with grief, which turns to anger. She uses that anger to build up her walls and build up the armor on the machines they use in the book to gather gold from the Serpentine river. But
Jackie
Apr 06, 2019 rated it liked it
I didn’t hate this book but I didn’t love it. The plot is a bit slower, but it holds you. The main character is complicated but most of the other characters aren’t as flushed out as they should be. The setting is amazing for one book but prob deserves an extra book to really allow us to understand the world. So it’s a solid 3
Mandy
Mar 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
Disclaimer: I received this ARC courtesy of a Bookish First giveaway. I am grateful for the opportunity to review an ARC for my readers, but this will not influence my final rating. All opinions expressed in this review are my own and based solely on the book.

Buddy Read with the Magical Rendz from the always amazing Reading with Rendz!

This book was....not what I wanted. I haven't had the best experiences with Condie's writing before, but this book sounded so interesting and not like anything tha
Queen Cronut
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, arcs
I wasn't that fond of Condie's Matched trilogy so I was pleasantly surprised by this book.

I liked Poe and her character development as she struggles through grief and a need for revenge on the raiders who murdered Call- her growth made her a stronger character as she navigates her way without Call. Additionally, I liked her character flaws- she was paranoid, reckless and sometimes let her emotions dictate her decisions but she was relatable because the reality is that she's a lost 17-year-old gi
Kassie
Mar 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you to Penguin Teen for an ARC of this book.

In a future dystopian world, we follow Poe Blythe who after failing a ship mission for gold was able to save herself and her crew by coming up with the deadliest armor yet for the next ship. Now Poe sails for the first time since as first time captain of The Lily and she’s ready to avenge the death of her loved one Call.

I found this book to be fine. The story was easy to understand and follow. I was interested in the bigger society group dynamics
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
Finally finished.

My full review will come soon as part of the blog tour.

**HUGE thanks to Penguin Teen for a copy!**
Laura (crofteereader)
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Poe Blythe has a familiar story: she fell in love, she went on what should have been an adventure, and the boy she loved was taken from her. Instead of running away (which would continue that familiar story) she becomes obsessed, driven entirely by a need for revenge. She has a brilliant mind but keeps her distance from other people, snatching power for herself when she's given the chance.

When she's told that everything is not as it seems, she doesn't try to change sides, not really. She is her
Samantha
Mar 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Overall, I thought this book was okay. It wasn’t great but it wasn’t bad. I like the story of it and the character progressions, but Poe’s obsession with revenge and Call was a bit unnerving. It was the biggest part of her personality and I wasn’t a fan of that. Besides her only motivations being revenge, her character change felt off. It wasn’t a sudden change, but it felt like there should have been more motivation for her to want to change her mind.

Another thing I found odd was the ending. I
Billie
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm not sure how I felt about this one. It is a huge tonal change from the Matched trilogy, which is both good and bad. The book is very focused on Poe's grief and her quest for revenge, which means the reader knows and understands Poe very well. Unfortunately, this focus means that the development of the other characters and the world building both suffered. I also didn't quite understand Poe's change of heart in the last third or so of the book. It seemed more necessary to the story Condie was ...more
Jordan (pagetravels)
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
The last quarter was mildly action-packed, but overall this book just wasn't at all exciting. The plot didn't feel high-stakes so I was never really invested in the story. Poe was complex in that her feelings of grief/revenge made her kind of dark, but that's been done so many times in other books and has been done so much better by other authors that, to me, she wasn't an interesting or unique protagonist. Not to mention that her thought processes seemed to change out of nowhere and for no part ...more
Christy
Apr 01, 2019 marked it as to-read
What would we bring on a revenge mission? Find out at our post!

This review was originally posted on BookCrushin
Rendz
Mar 09, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5
Buddy read with the amazing Mandy!
Twas not bad...just not the best. Full RTC
Madelyn
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Last Voyage of Poe Blythe was definitely not an ordinary voyage across the river. It was fast paced and the action DID NOT STOP.

I know that some really like Ally Condie, and some people do not prefer her books but guys don’t let this title or the author fool you! I felt like it was much different than the Matched Trilogy. The writing was definitely more compelling and it kept me wondering what was going to happen. I saw this new release coming and I was skeptical even though I enjoyed the M
Doxielover367
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I would like to start off by saying thank you to Penguin Teen and Dutton books for an ARC of this book in exchange for my honest review.

The Last Voyage of Poe Blythe is a great YA dystopian novel. Ally Condie has a very precise way of writing that gives the reader exactly what they need to know to understand the characters and the setting of the story without being bogged down with unnecessary fluff and filler. The adventure of Poe is very exciting and there are multiple parts of the story that
Shelee at Book Reader Chronicles
4.5 stars | TOP REC

The Last Voyage of Poe Blythe was a wonderfully addictive read with elements of revenge and redemption. The atmosphere of the story was beautifully set, with an industrialist feel that added a layer of oppression and untapped ambition. Condie wrote a great heroine in Poe with her realistic motives and a self-sacrificing quality not expected in a hardened character like her. From beginning to end I was on the journey with her and I didn’t want it to end.

Though a character o
Bridgette
Mar 13, 2019 rated it liked it
I had high hopes for The Last Voyage of Poe Blythe, but I was disappointed. It got off to a promising start, but fell flat in the end.

Poe Blythe lives in the Outpost. A few years ago she and her boyfriend took their first gold mining voyage on a mining ship in the Serpentine River. Unfortunately, the raiders, who live outside the Outpost, boarded the ship and killed Poe’s boyfriend. Since then Poe has vowed revenge. Through cunning political maneuvering, Poe manages to be named captain of the ve
Kat
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
* Thank you Penguin Teen Canada for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review *

ACTUAL: 4.25 stars

- review to come -
Nicole
Mar 30, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: bookshelf-tbr
Review to come soon!
Lauren
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. Review to come!
Erin Arkin
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review to come.
USOM
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
(Disclaimer: I received this book from the Bookish First. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

The Last Voyage of Poe Blythe is about grief. It's about the depths to which you fall in its maelstrom. But it's also about the quest for Poe to redefine herself. Is Poe a ghost? a murderer? A victim? What I adored about The Last Voyage of Poe Blythe was how multifaceted this book is.

Whether it be how Poe struggles with her grief and loss, or how Poe must navigate the rhetoric
Amy A
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5

More than anything else, Poe wants to be free. Free of the Outpost where she lives and works / trains as a machinist. But she feels confined by the walls that surround the Outpost that the Admiral says are for safety. That no one survives outside the walls. So when there's an opportunity to be part of an expedition on one of the vessels sent out to hunt for gold, Poe and her boyfriend Call jump at the chance. Of course, they're plans extend past those of the Outpost. They're planning on jumpi
Claryy
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
I loved every inch of this book. It was so much better than I had expected, especially with the revenge and the I-lost-someone-or-something trope. It was surprisingly really good.

This book was very fast-paced. One hundred pages in and a lot is already happening. However, it’s not overwhelming. Everything flowed smoothly and well. It was adventurous and had a lot of action, which I loved.

The thing I loved most in this book were the characters. I especially loved Brig, Indie, and Tam. They each s
Jill
Apr 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Sometimes I am in the mood for a dystopia aimed at the young adult audience, but without a lot of world-building - just enough to set the scene. Common elements of this genre include teenage angst, romance, and evil political machinations by the adults. It’s what I would label easy escapist reading.

This is what I had anticipated with this latest offering from Ally Condie, who wrote the “Matched” trilogy, even though this book is a stand-alone novel.

Poe Blythe, 17, lost her true love Call two yea
Olivia Farr
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: other-reviews
"The Last Voyage of Poe Blythe" is a fascinating YA fantasy/dystopian that is even better than Condie's Matched series. The book begins two years back when Poe is on a dredge voyage, working on a ship that mines the rivers for gold. She is madly in love with Call, the only person she has, and together, they count the stars and the time until they can escape. Both grew up in the orphanages of the Outpost, where work is hard and death is well-known. Raiders, people who live outside the Outpost, fr ...more
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I would have given this book two or three stars, at most, if the ending wasn't as amazing. If you've read her "Matched" series, you need to read this book. Seriously. It's a must. I'm not going to spoil anything in this review, but Condie is brilliant and the ending of this book was absolutely amazing.

I finished "The Last Voyage of Poe Blythe" behind the library circulation desk where I work. I had to close the book, close my eyes, and try to slow my heart rate when the connection was made (you'
Haley
Mar 13, 2019 rated it liked it
I received a free ARC copy from a Penguin-Random House giveaway

_____

Ally Condie returns with a new YA book. I am not sure if this a standalone or a new series.

Poe Blythe has design a very deadly armor to protect the Outpost's river dredge ships. The ships are used to collect gold from the bottom of the rivers. They don't know exactly why the Admiral wants the gold, but all Poe cares about is getting revenge for her teen love, Call, who was killed by Raider 2 years ago on her last dredge
  • Immunity (Contagion, #2)
  • Bid My Soul Farewell (Give the Dark My Love, #2)
  • Swipe Right for Murder
  • Only Ashes Remain (Market of Monsters, #2)
  • Dig
  • Sorry For Your Loss
  • Nyxia Uprising (The Nyxia Triad, #3)
  • The Bone Houses
  • Heroine
  • Woman 99
  • Stolen Time (Dark Stars, #1)
  • Watcher in the Woods (Rockton, #4)
  • Sky Without Stars (System Divine, #1)
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • Kingdom of Back
  • Malice
  • Nothing Without You (Forever Yours, #2.5; Big Sky, #4.4)
  • The Antidote
Ally Condie is a former high school English teacher who lives with her husband, three sons and one daughter outside of Salt Lake City, Utah. She loves reading, running, eating, and listening to her husband play guitar.
“Some people always burn.” 0 likes