Start by marking “The Last Voyage of Poe Blythe” as Want to Read:
The Last Voyage of Poe Blythe

The Last Voyage of Poe Blythe

Poe Blythe is the young captain of her failing city's last mining ship, travelling the Serpentine River and dredging up gold.

But it isn't gold on her mind. Two years ago, river raiders robbed Poe of everything. And she wants revenge.

As she navigates the treacherous waters and realises there's a traitor among her crew, Poe is forced to confront the dangerous truth about why
Published March 26th 2019 by Dutton Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Last Voyage of Poe Blythe, please sign up.
Sarah It's technically a stand alone, however, I highly recommend reading The Matched series before you read this, if you haven't already. You'll understand…moreIt's technically a stand alone, however, I highly recommend reading The Matched series before you read this, if you haven't already. You'll understand why after you read it.(less)

Start your review of The Last Voyage of Poe Blythe
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I really ended up enjoying this book. I went into this book without a whole lot of expectations. I think that I might have read one of the author's earlier books years ago but don't remember a whole lot about it. The premise sounded really interesting so I was excited to give the story a try and was surprised by how quickly I was hooked by this adventurous tale. I thought that this was just a whole lot of fun.

Most of this book takes
Kayla Dawn
Apr 21, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
2,5* - this had a lot of potential, the premise was very interesting. Unfortunately I had absolutely zero connection to the characters which lead to me not caring about what was happening most of the time.
Alison
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is such a unique dystopian in that it feels like a pirate theme mixed with western vibes.
This follows Poe on her journey for revenge against the Raiders after they kill her boyfriend. She creates a weapon out of the ships meant to mine gold for their colony in the walls. When the Admiral gives her a ship to captain, Poe isn't sure what his end game is, and finds herself in a whole new position she isn't sure how to navigate. Poe goes in fairly cold-hearted and paranoid, and for good reason
Ashlee » Library In The Country
The Last Voyage of Poe Blythe is one of those books that sneaks up on you. Its strong in a silent sort of way, stringing you along page after page until you realize, near the end, that the story is more powerful than you could have ever imagined it to be. It's a desperate story of survival and touching in its own sort of feral and savage way. It shows us that living is more than just waking the following day and going about our routines.

The story focuses primarily on Poe Blythe, her story of rev
Mandy
Mar 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
Disclaimer: I received this ARC courtesy of a Bookish First giveaway. I am grateful for the opportunity to review an ARC for my readers, but this will not influence my final rating. All opinions expressed in this review are my own and based solely on the book.

Buddy Read with the Magical Rendz from the always amazing Reading with Rendz!

This book was....not what I wanted. I haven't had the best experiences with Condie's writing before, but this book sounded so interesting and not like anything tha
Jes Reads
Feb 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you so much to Penguin Teen and Dutton books for an early copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

The Last Voyage of Poe Blythe was a surprising read for me. it follows Poe on her journey of revenge following the death of the person she loves. But the story is so much more than that. Poe is stricken with grief, which turns to anger. She uses that anger to build up her walls and build up the armor on the machines they use in the book to gather gold from the Serpentine river. But
Kate Willis
A dystopian pirate-y story? With this cover--yet another beauty that holds more meaning than meets the eye? And a Goodreads friend liked it and said it’s slightly connected to Matched? Sign me up. :D

Ally Condie has proven time and again to be a fantastic author, so you can imagine my excitement when this arrived at the library. :D

I ate up the worldbuilding. The raiders had AMAZING and beautiful technology, and I liked how the Outpost had a mix of and new, i.e. solar panels and cogs and gears. It
Jypsy
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
First, I have to say I absolutely loved the Matched trilogy and Atlantia by Ally Condie. I've been a fan of her work for a long time. So, that being said, The Last Voyage of Poe Blythe is my least favorite of all. It's not a bad story. The Mark Twain steampunk vibe is truly unique for a dystopian story. I have never read anything like this world. The main character is indeed cold and calculating with a specific goal in mind. I understand her motivation for wanting to exact revenge on those who s ...more
Sarah Swann
This was alright. It was fast paced and mildly interesting. Full of young adult tropes, but I enjoyed listening to it.
Queen Cronut
Nov 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, arcs
I wasn't that fond of Condie's Matched trilogy so I was pleasantly surprised by this book.

I liked Poe and her character development as she struggles through grief and a need for revenge on the raiders who murdered Call- her growth made her a stronger character as she navigates her way without Call. Additionally, I liked her character flaws- she was paranoid, reckless and sometimes let her emotions dictate her decisions but she was relatable because the reality is that she's a lost 17-year-old gi
Jackie
Apr 06, 2019 rated it liked it
I didn’t hate this book but I didn’t love it. The plot is a bit slower, but it holds you. The main character is complicated but most of the other characters aren’t as flushed out as they should be. The setting is amazing for one book but prob deserves an extra book to really allow us to understand the world. So it’s a solid 3
Renata
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya, fiction, fantasy
ehhhhhhhh so like, years ago I enjoyed Ally Condie's Matched trilogy more than I expected to--it sounded like a pretty flat, bland dystopia, and it was--but the writing was lovely and I cared about the characters enough for me to overlook the flat worldbuilding. This book doesn't.....have that for me. I never got invested enough in Poe for me to overlook basic-shit like what the fuck happened that a 17-year-old with no particular training is this world's best inventor?? It seems like it's a hars ...more
Billie
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm not sure how I felt about this one. It is a huge tonal change from the Matched trilogy, which is both good and bad. The book is very focused on Poe's grief and her quest for revenge, which means the reader knows and understands Poe very well. Unfortunately, this focus means that the development of the other characters and the world building both suffered. I also didn't quite understand Poe's change of heart in the last third or so of the book. It seemed more necessary to the story Condie was ...more
Colleen Houck
This one is unlike anything I've ever read before. I so love Poe. She's so angry and vengeful and powerful and smart and the armor she made to protect the ship is something she wears herself. You can almost see how sharp and bristly she is as she cuts the people around her. Such an excellent character. Hope there's more coming!
Sammy
Mar 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Overall, I thought this book was okay. It wasn’t great but it wasn’t bad. I like the story of it and the character progressions, but Poe’s obsession with revenge and Call was a bit unnerving. It was the biggest part of her personality and I wasn’t a fan of that. Besides her only motivations being revenge, her character change felt off. It wasn’t a sudden change, but it felt like there should have been more motivation for her to want to change her mind.

Another thing I found odd was the ending. I
A n n i e  ⚔
4 Stars // 84%
A beautiful, touching story that sings about more than just pirates and gold. The theme of love, life, and self-discovery amid loss will leave you in awe. The Last Voyage of Poe Blythe is a story like no other.
Karsyn   Shae “No mourners. No funerals.”~The Crows
Hmmmm.....where to start?
This book made me soooo happy! Full of action light romance and a heroine that’s not annoying. Ally Condie blew me away with her creativity and characters. Also the ability to make a reader cry like a baby. 😂
It’s an easy read and if I didn’t have life to deal with I would have finished that book in an hour! I highly recommend this book for people who like, dystopian, heartbreak, action, the game CLUE, light romance, page turners, and a horrible ending!

Seriously though, t
Jenn
To be honest, I'm not sure if I actually liked this book or not. I've been trying to think on it for a few days before I wrote this review, but it's still a mystery to me. I had read Condie's Matched series and found it to be a solid series, so I was familiar with the author's writing going in. But there was something about this book that just felt a little...lacking...to me? It's really hard to put my finger on but I'm going to try.

The Last Voyage of Poe Blythe is a story about love, revenge, a
Kassie
Mar 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you to Penguin Teen for an ARC of this book.

In a future dystopian world, we follow Poe Blythe who after failing a ship mission for gold was able to save herself and her crew by coming up with the deadliest armor yet for the next ship. Now Poe sails for the first time since as first time captain of The Lily and she’s ready to avenge the death of her loved one Call.

I found this book to be fine. The story was easy to understand and follow. I was interested in the bigger society group dynamics
The Clever Reader
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this unique dystopian revenge story! It feels like it's set in a western gold rush era but with big metal machines! Poe's character was really fascinating because she's different than what we usually see from female MC's in these kinds of books. She's very cold and direct for most of the book which I found really interesting. When she finds out that what she's been told isn't true she starts to question everything. She barely knows who to trust.

I got to hear Ally speak about wh
Haydn
Dec 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Note: I’m rounding up one star because I listened to the audiobook and I have a negative bias toward those.

This book is okay. If readers are looking for a cookie-cutter YA novel, then they should pick this up.
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
Finally finished.

My full review will come soon as part of the blog tour.

**HUGE thanks to Penguin Teen for a copy!**
Farhina ↯↯ The Wanderer Of Inked Adventures
The last Voyage of Poe Blythe is a dystopian novel with quite a pirate esque feel to it.

It kinda like a 3 star read that you end up enjoying but do know a lot of things are wrong or missing in it nonetheless.

LVOPB is about Poe, this is a revenge journey against the people that killed the man she loved. She ends up building a powerful machine armour that protects when gathering gold form the serpentine river, so that those same people don't kill anyone else.

A thing that I felt like this book la
Jordan (pagetravels)
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
The last quarter was mildly action-packed, but overall this book just wasn't at all exciting. The plot didn't feel high-stakes so I was never really invested in the story. Poe was complex in that her feelings of grief/revenge made her kind of dark, but that's been done so many times in other books and has been done so much better by other authors that, to me, she wasn't an interesting or unique protagonist. Not to mention that her thought processes seemed to change out of nowhere and for no part ...more
Katie  Hanna
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
"THAT is the magic, the alchemy: the primitive, deep-seated element that is in you--that IS you--while you live, and which leaves the moment you die. You can't get it back. Nothing can buy it. No amount of tears will ever call it home."

. . . may I just take this moment to observe, Ally Condie is scarily good at writing about death.

As for the rest: this is a very intriguing, steampunk-ish, dystopian adventure starring an unapologetic anti-heroine whom you nevertheless want to root for??? I reco
Alex Johnson
May 06, 2019 rated it liked it
"But do you still live on, if someone you loved, someone who loves you, goes on to live their own dreams?
I think so. I think you live on best that way.
You are in my heart when it soars. In my hands when they make something new. In my breath when I run.
And someday, even that will be gone.
You will be deep in my blood and bones, part of me, but I will have moved past you.
Even as I carry you with me, I will have left you behind." (324)

I wish I had realized this was a book about grief before the last
Aly
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, audiobook
This book caught me by surprise a little bit. I wasn't completely sure what it was going to be about, I like to go into books mostly blind if I can. This was really well written and I liked the plot a lot. I wasn't super sure where it was going all the time and it was nice to be along for the ride.
Poe has had tragedy in her life and it's made her hard and alienated her from pretty much everyone. She's the youngest captain to sail for gold and when her ship is taken over by the raiders who kille
Krysti
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh, I loved this! What a unique and original world and setting. I adore morally gray characters, and Poe is certainly that. The revenge plot was brilliantly executed, and Condie threw in some fantastic twists and turns into the story that I certainly didn't see coming. This is one of the most imaginative stories I've read this year. Bravo!
Laura (crofteereader)
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Poe Blythe has a familiar story: she fell in love, she went on what should have been an adventure, and the boy she loved was taken from her. Instead of running away (which would continue that familiar story) she becomes obsessed, driven entirely by a need for revenge. She has a brilliant mind but keeps her distance from other people, snatching power for herself when she's given the chance.

When she's told that everything is not as it seems, she doesn't try to change sides, not really. She is her
Katelyn Rose
May 02, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm so bummed, I was expecting more from this :( I felt like this had so much potential, but it felt lackluster for me. It was still a solid read, but I didn't feel attached to the characters. Something heartbreaking happens in the main character's life, but the way it was written didn't make it seem that emotional or intense. Maybe it will for other people, but I didn't feel her pain or sadness a whole lot while reading. This is also supposed to be a revenge story, which it is, but goes in a wa ...more
Literally Leander: First Impressions - October 1 2 Jul 01, 2020 09:12AM
Bookish First Rea...: The Last Voyage of Poe Blythe by Ally Condie 1 3 Oct 22, 2019 12:10PM

• The Kingdom of Back
  • Four Dead Queens
  • Warrior of the Wild
  • Lovely War
  • The Downstairs Girl
  • Aurora Rising (The Aurora Cycle, #1)
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • Alabasterball: Der Fluch der letzten Küsse
  • Stepsister
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • Sisters of Shadow and Light (Sisters of Shadow and Light, #1)
  • Sky Without Stars (System Divine, #1)
  • Girls with Sharp Sticks (Girls with Sharp Sticks, #1)
  • Rayne & Delilah's Midnite Matinee
  • Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1)
  • The Lady Rogue
  • Thirteen Doorways, Wolves Behind Them All
Ally Condie is a former high school English teacher who lives with her husband, three sons and one daughter outside of Salt Lake City, Utah. She loves reading, running, eating, and listening to her husband play guitar.

Articles featuring this book

When looking for the best recommendations in the young adult genre, we decided to turn to YA authors themselves. Narrowing ...
“Some people always burn.” 7 likes
“You don't have to try to be the hero." His voice is rough and low.
"I'm not trying," I say. "I am.”
2 likes