Start by marking “Red Rope of Fate (The Elves of Lessa, #1)” as Want to Read:
Red Rope of Fate (The Elves of Lessa, #1)

Red Rope of Fate

(The Elves of Lessa #1)

In a land where humans and elves find it difficult to communicate, Tari—an elf—is bound to Captain Arion—a human military officer—in a ceremony designed to promote friendship between the two races. When the ceremony is over the pair discover that the impossible has happened: they can understand each other in spite of the language barrier.

Thrown into a storm of politics, Ta
Published (first published April 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Red Rope of Fate, please sign up.
K.M. Shea Your wish is answered! Red Rope is now book 1 in a series called The Elves of Lessa. The sequel is called Royal Magic and I released it earlier this…moreYour wish is answered! Red Rope is now book 1 in a series called The Elves of Lessa. The sequel is called Royal Magic and I released it earlier this year!(less)
K.M. Shea Red Rope is now book 1 in a series called The Elves of Lessa! The sequel is called Royal Magic, and it was released in 2018. And yes I'm planning to…moreRed Rope is now book 1 in a series called The Elves of Lessa! The sequel is called Royal Magic, and it was released in 2018. And yes I'm planning to write a few more books in this series!(less)

Elizabeth
Definitely 3 stars, not quite 4 stars

Enjoyable read. Some sections have re-read appeal for me rather than the whole book, where later books like those in the Timeless Fairy Tales hold my interest from beginning to end.

Sweet, sweet characters, sweet romance. I did like the characters, plot and world enough that I plan on purchasing the book after returning it from my kindle unlimited library.

I would recommend this book, especially if it's still in kindle unlimited.
Sadie Forsythe
Apr 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-lendable
Ok, so that was just plain sweet...exactly what I was looking for. Even before any of the romance emerged Tari and Arion's interactions were a joy to behold. They both had a certain dry wit about them that I appreciated. I did wonder that Tari could remain quite sooooo oblivious for quite soooo long and how exactly she managed to keep her secret from Arion. But it was still fun.

The two kings had a lot of personality for side characters. The Seer, the soldiers, and the family were engaging and b
Tandie
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was sweet and kind of cheesy. I thoroughly enjoyed it, even though there were quite a few eyeroll moments.
Melissa
MY FAVORITE! I love this author and this is by far my fav! Don't get me wrong I loved them all but I loved this whole story line and the characters. So fun to read. These are sweet fun books that sweep you away and introduce you to fun people and a great love story. This had a little violence and some kissing but very clean. 14 and up.

Reread 8-22
Love this still. I had to reread it before I read the second. I really don't like the new cover it makes this seem like a silly book instead of a well w
Varied Books
Jun 22, 2016 marked it as decided-not-to-read  ·  review of another edition
Clean romance. I got this free in 2015.
Tricia Mingerink
Re-read. Again. Because this book is awesome.
Claire Banschbach
I'm still trying to decide on this one. I adore K.M. Shea's books and was really looking forward to this book. I enjoyed it for sure - Ms. Shea's voice and characters are always tremendous, but when I finished, I was just not sure that I liked it.

Concept was cool, executed well, neat world building, the snark and banter I love. But I don't think I was really a fan of how everything played out - the romance, the ending, etc. And when it's all said and done I'm not sure I liked Arion all that muc
Kristen
4.5
I'm quickly becoming a big fan of K.M. Shea. I admit at first I was totally confused by what was going on, but by the second chapter, I was totally hooked. Loved every minute of if from then on. The only part I wished I could see in movie format was the Evening Star fight, I totally did not get a mental picture of her descriptions...but still really, really good book! I would've probably given it 5 stars, but there were a few modern terms thrown in there that made me laugh. "Touchy-feely" too
Allison
A cute story, but it started stronger than it ended. The latter half of the book grew less believable and more forced, and the culmination of the love story was a little rushed and syrupy sweet. Despite its issues, Tari is a fun protagonist and very likeable.
M.Z.
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, fast, (cheaply priced,) sweet, no-angst romance. Perfect to fill that fluff elven/human spot you sometimes need between all the adventure and what-not!
Gena
Oct 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The life of royalty seems glamorous however this book took some of the lustre off it. Arion at least has his military duties but poor Tari doesn't do much besides attend festivals/dinners and occasionally practise her evening star moves. The story is well written however it has the tired storyline of mild spoiler (view spoiler).
Shinae Wyckoff
A sweet, little love story.

I was distracted by some things that kept me from enjoying it fully (Did she hijack the premise from Robin McKinley’s Pegasus? Also: all the plot holes.)

But it’s like any other Shea novel- a fun read with lovable characters. Could be better given the right editor. If that doesn’t bother you too much, you’ll enjoy it!
Lynn
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 Rounding up to 4. It took a little while for me to settle into this book. Partially I think it was because I was expecting a fantasy book with a lot of action. As it turned out, this book was more romance set in a high fantasy setting. I'd say there was more intrigue than action. As a first book in a series it also had to do a lot of set up for this world and the characters. I do read some romance but it took me a while to adjust my expectations. I did want to read on in the series when I go ...more
Julie
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2019
Finishing Red Rope of Fate left me very satisfied. I got exactly what I expected from it, which was a quick, light, cute romance story. At first I didn't like the writing all that much, but it either got better the farther into the story I got, or I got used to it. In any case, it did not bother me at all after a while.
The story kept up the mystery of who did what fairly well because almost all of the characters seemed slightly suspicious in a way. I loved that the main obstacle in the story wa
April
4.5 Stars
A fun and entertaining read!
Lexie
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
KM Shea has risen to become one of my favorite writers - though I guess technically after MBRC she was pretty much, but as I'm reading her back catalog it's been cemented.

While this is a fantasy romance, that part isn't the biggest - Shea spends time showing us how despite the fact they can communicate Tari and Arion start off on the same uneven ground as the other bound pairs. Mystery, ignorance and prejudice has kept the humans and Lesser Elves from truly understanding each others' cultures.

Ar
Emilia
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, fantasy, magic, elves
A global whirlwind romance

This was a super cute and quick read. It's standalone so you don't have to worry about waiting for the next one in the series to come out. Phew! Take that sigh of relief. Waiting is agonizing. This book was wonderfully written. I've read other books by K.M. Shea (which I recommend trying) and this book didn't disappoint me. It was just as engaging and thrilling as her others. I love the writing style of K.M. Shea. It's not complex, rather simple and sweet. Additionally,
jo britton
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An addicting read

I am so happy I've discovered K M Shea's books they are at once a comforting reminder of familiar childhood favourites turned in to an unputtable down adult fantasy books with a twist.
Jasey
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was adorable, funny, and made me just a tad uncomfortable. All of Shea's books have been as clean, or maybe cleaner, then some of Melanie Dickerson's books, and she's one of my favorite Christian YA authors! This book, however, seemed to be just a bit more suggestive, so just beware of that. Tari also seemed rather homicidal, which bothered me somewhat. Anyway, I loved all of the side characters that I was supposed to like (even a few that didn't even speak), and I didn't like the villains ...more
Gretchen Jeske
Aug 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a little hard to get into at first - I felt like the author wasn't giving me enough detail to help me understand this world - but I got over it a little bit and forged on. Confusion still hit me, though. Something happened between the main characters and I couldn't figure out why the one was so upset about it. It was explained afterwards why, but some of these things I would appreciate knowing beforehand so I can understand them as they occur. Still, I enjoyed the story and was nea ...more
Desirae
This is probably the most unsatisfying thing I've ever read.

description

I haven't read any of K. M. Shea's previous works, but if this is an example of what I might find, I'm not enthused to try them out.

The summary would have you think that this is a an epic fantasy about elves and humans, but it's just a simple gereric romance that I've seen a million times before.

There's zero world building, and zero personality to the writing and characters.
Maria
Originally posted at : NocturnalReader

As much as I have loved King Arthur and Her Knights series, this book didn't fall on my interest at all. I just had to drag myself to finish it for the sake of my 2013 book challenge.

The story, characters and plot is very simple and boring. I don't have anything to rave about this book at all but nothing to rant either. I guess, it's another in-between review.
May
Very cute, sweet romance. Good romance development. The story is very light-hearted and sweet. Tari and Arion really grow to love each other, and I could feel their love blossoming as I read the book. There's also a scene where we see how strong Tari is physically. I would've liked to see her fight more. My only gripe is, the conflicts are short and resolve quickly.

Good romance development
Light-hearted, sweet
Short conflicts
Karla Medeiros
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this

I really loved this book. It deserves 5 stars, something I rarely give. The character's were well developed, the heroine was strong but wasn't a Mary sue and the protagonists were just so cute together. It's a little hard to understand the story in the first chapter but stick with it because it's worth it. I really REALLY want to read another story set in this universe.
Brittany
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This story was very underwhelming. Hardly anything happened, and there were cool elements that just didn't go anywhere- the concept of Evening Stars and what they do got like a couple pages and then we don't get to hear any more about it. The characters were robotic and one dimensional and their dialogue stilted. Plus they spoke out loud to themselves an awful lot and that was strange.
Kristen
For what it is - a very light, cute, fluffy read, I loved it. I really like Shea's books, even if they are quite short. I love the worlds she creates, the unique stories and backgrounds. This one was no exception and I've never read another story like it, and it was very entertaining. I liked the characters and laughed more than a few times. This book was sweet, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Jemma
May 25, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed it. It's not as good as K M Shea's other books.
Jenny Koch
Cute, quick read. I liked the concept but the heroine was such a Mary Sue that it was hard to relate or empathize with her.
Avi
Oct 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
Lucina

Review to come -> Loved this one. It was even better than the other three books I read by K.M. Shea!
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Jul 12, 2016 10:39AM
  • Thomas' Heart (Judgement of the Six Companion Series #4)
  • Loch and Key (The McLaughlins, #3)
  • Sunburn (Greek God, #3)
  • Beautiful Salvation (Blood Prince, #5)
  • Wolf at the Door (Snowdonia Wolves #1)
  • Captive Cowboy (Captured Hearts, #2)
  • The Harder They Fall (Loveswept)
  • Homecoming (Boys of Fall, #3)
  • Binding Spell (Tales of the Latter Kingdoms, #3)
  • The Scarecrow King
  • Take It Like a Vamp (Take It Like a Vamp, #1)
  • Seirsha of Errinton (Eldentimber, #3)
  • Player
K.M. Shea is going progressively bald from pulling all of her hair out when she writes.

She has a BA in Print Journalism and a minor in Japanese. She's worked as a freelance reporter, a librarian, a blogger, and an author. She lives in the country with Perfect Dog.

The Elves of Lessa (2 books)
  • Royal Magic (The Elves of Lessa, #2)
“Of course I would fall for Captain Emotionally Constipated. I could train a rock to hold more affection for me.” 32 likes
“How dare Arion sit there and tell her he cared for her more than she for him when she was in love with him! Was the man dense? Had he fallen from his horse too many times?” 10 likes