Start by marking “Red Rope of Fate (The Elves of Lessa, #1)” as Want to Read:
Red Rope of Fate (The Elves of Lessa, #1)

Red Rope of Fate

(The Elves of Lessa #1)

In a land where humans and elves find it difficult to communicate, Tari—an elf—is bound to Captain Arion—a human military officer—in a ceremony designed to promote friendship between the two races. When the ceremony is over the pair discover that the impossible has happened: they can understand each other in spite of the language barrier.

Thrown into a storm of politics, Ta
Published July 2018 by B00CIGL18O (first published April 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Red Rope of Fate, please sign up.
K.M. Shea Your wish is answered! Red Rope is now book 1 in a series called The Elves of Lessa. The sequel is called Royal Magic and I released it earlier this y…moreYour wish is answered! Red Rope is now book 1 in a series called The Elves of Lessa. The sequel is called Royal Magic and I released it earlier this year!(less)
K.M. Shea Red Rope is now book 1 in a series called The Elves of Lessa! The sequel is called Royal Magic, and it was released in 2018. And yes I'm planning to w…moreRed Rope is now book 1 in a series called The Elves of Lessa! The sequel is called Royal Magic, and it was released in 2018. And yes I'm planning to write a few more books in this series!(less)

Start your review of Red Rope of Fate (The Elves of Lessa, #1)
Elizabeth
Definitely 3 stars, not quite 4 stars

Enjoyable read. Some sections have re-read appeal for me rather than the whole book, where later books like those in the Timeless Fairy Tales hold my interest from beginning to end.

Sweet, sweet characters, sweet romance. I did like the characters, plot and world enough that I plan on purchasing the book after returning it from my kindle unlimited library.

I would recommend this book, especially if it's still in kindle unlimited.
Tandie
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was sweet and kind of cheesy. I thoroughly enjoyed it, even though there were quite a few eyeroll moments.
Sadie Forsythe
Ok, so that was just plain sweet...exactly what I was looking for. Even before any of the romance emerged Tari and Arion's interactions were a joy to behold. They both had a certain dry wit about them that I appreciated. I did wonder that Tari could remain quite sooooo oblivious for quite soooo long and how exactly she managed to keep her secret from Arion. But it was still fun.

The two kings had a lot of personality for side characters. The Seer, the soldiers, and the family were engaging and b
Louise
Mar 19, 2019 rated it liked it
description

After reading two heavy duty emotional fuckfests, this is exactly what i needed.

✓ A straight forward interracial romance with a smattering of low-key drama.
✓ A heroine who's soft and savage.
✓ A brooding alpha who isn't a complete dick.
✓ Cute as fuck banter between the MCs.
✓ HEA

This is exactly what i needed.
It didn't blow my mind or anything but damn, it was relaxing and satisfying and my heart didn't bleed out my chest from being punched in the feels perpetually...
Melissa
MY FAVORITE! I love this author and this is by far my fav! Don't get me wrong I loved them all but I loved this whole story line and the characters. So fun to read. These are sweet fun books that sweep you away and introduce you to fun people and a great love story. This had a little violence and some kissing but very clean. 14 and up.

Reread 8-22
Love this still. I had to reread it before I read the second. I really don't like the new cover it makes this seem like a silly book instead of a well w
Andrea
3.5

I had a lot of fun reading this book- I generally liked the characters, the backstory with the elves and human's relationships, and the slow build romance.

But for some reason it felt a little...muted...maybe?
Maybe because I didn't really get a feel for the romance, but at the same time I would consider this YA so thats understandable.
(Even though the h is 25 and the H is 33) it was all relatively sweet and light.

But if you have KU I would recommend if your looking for a human/elf fantasy wit
Desirae
This is probably the most unsatisfying thing I've ever read.

description

I haven't read any of K. M. Shea's previous works, but if this is an example of what I might find, I'm not enthused to try them out.

The summary would have you think that this is a an epic fantasy about elves and humans, but it's just a simple gereric romance that I've seen a million times before.

There's zero world building, and zero personality to the writing and characters.
Kristen
1/30/20 - Just re-read this book and I didn't remember a lot of it. That being said, I enjoyed it again this second time around. The characters were great. Again, I did wish I would have a character guide and pre-knowledge about what and Evening Star was and I wish the romance would have had a little more oomph but overall an enjoyable read.

4.5
I'm quickly becoming a big fan of K.M. Shea. I admit at first I was totally confused by what was going on, but by the second chapter, I was totally hooke
Tricia Mingerink
Re-read. Again. Because this book is awesome.
Maria
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, fast, (cheaply priced,) sweet, no-angst romance. Perfect to fill that fluff elven/human spot you sometimes need between all the adventure and what-not!
Suzannah
Supremely fluffy.
Isabel
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a fun clean romance read. I don't typically gravitate towards romance that are clean, but I have had luck with K.M. Shea before so I decided to go for it.
The world-building in this is really well done considering what it tackles, and how it treats for example the translator circle. I also really really liked Tari as a character overall. She was fun, a bit unpredictable at times and the relationship we see growing with Arion was handled perfectly.
How the story is built up with the diff
Nicole
This is my new favorite book. Oh my goodness.

A few years ago, I lived in Japan as a missionary from America with a Brazilian organization, and somehow this fantasy book about elves and humans perfectly captured that specific brand of culture shock-at least to me, haha. It was so well done-a ton of hilarious culture shock, without ever going into second hand embarrassment territory-I am so impressed! I could relate to this so well, and I loved it.

The romance was adorable, and I loved being able t
Varied Books
Jun 22, 2016 marked it as decided-not-to-read  ·  review of another edition
Clean romance. I got this free in 2015.
Alli
Mar 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very cute, fun read! I really enjoyed it. There were a few technical issues like the language barrier needed to be explained a bit more, and there were so many people it got a bit confusing, but overall well executed.
Gabriela
Jul 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
Not quite 4 stars.
I loved the world-building and the different cultures, plus the romance was cute, but the plot was a bit confusing and farfetched at times.
Annette
The h is close to being too perfect. She is almost a Mary Sue.
Claire Banschbach
I'm still trying to decide on this one. I adore K.M. Shea's books and was really looking forward to this book. I enjoyed it for sure - Ms. Shea's voice and characters are always tremendous, but when I finished, I was just not sure that I liked it.

Concept was cool, executed well, neat world building, the snark and banter I love. But I don't think I was really a fan of how everything played out - the romance, the ending, etc. And when it's all said and done I'm not sure I liked Arion all that muc
Somia
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
When first reading this book I enjoyed it, but I finished it slightly unsure how much. Finished it again a week or so ago and overall thumbs up - the idea framing the story is a good one. I also liked the characters of Captian Arion and Lady Tari just wish the intrigue and the romance between the two had been teased out a tad more.
Allison
A cute story, but it started stronger than it ended. The latter half of the book grew less believable and more forced, and the culmination of the love story was a little rushed and syrupy sweet. Despite its issues, Tari is a fun protagonist and very likeable.
Meg
Jun 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-romance, fantasy
4.5 Stars
Gena
Oct 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The life of royalty seems glamorous however this book took some of the lustre off it. Arion at least has his military duties but poor Tari doesn't do much besides attend festivals/dinners and occasionally practise her evening star moves. The story is well written however it has the tired storyline of mild spoiler (view spoiler). ...more
Camille
After reading and enjoying most of K.M. Shea’s Timeless Fairy Tales, I was eager to try some of her other work. Red Rope of Fate was a charming read featuring a really cute romance set in a fantasy world where Elves and Humans live side-by-side but are separated by a language barrier.

When Tari, an elf, and Arion, a human, become bonded, they unexpectedly discover they can now communicate, which commences a relationship that begins in friendship and gradually develops into an adorable romance. I
Lynn
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 Rounding up to 4. It took a little while for me to settle into this book. Partially I think it was because I was expecting a fantasy book with a lot of action. As it turned out, this book was more romance set in a high fantasy setting. I'd say there was more intrigue than action. As a first book in a series it also had to do a lot of set up for this world and the characters. I do read some romance but it took me a while to adjust my expectations. I did want to read on in the series when I go ...more
Shinae Wyckoff
A sweet, little love story.

I was distracted by some things that kept me from enjoying it fully (Did she hijack the premise from Robin McKinley’s Pegasus? Also: all the plot holes.)

But it’s like any other Shea novel- a fun read with lovable characters. Could be better given the right editor. If that doesn’t bother you too much, you’ll enjoy it!
April
4.5 Stars
A fun and entertaining read!
Annbell
May 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed-books
This book reminded me of my roots and why I love these types of court intrigue fantasy stories. This was light on the intrigue. It was a short sweet book with lots of dialogue.

I liked the dynamic between elf maiden and her human solider. Mainly:
-The quiet stoic man wasn’t a jerk needing to be redeemed or have excuses made for his over-domineering behavior. What a freaking relief.
-The sweet elf was proactive and had strength of her own.
-Their fights made sense and weren’t rage inducing minor m
Julie
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2019, romance
Finishing Red Rope of Fate left me very satisfied. I got exactly what I expected from it, which was a quick, light, cute romance story. At first I didn't like the writing all that much, but it either got better the farther into the story I got, or I got used to it. In any case, it did not bother me at all after a while.
The story kept up the mystery of who did what fairly well because almost all of the characters seemed slightly suspicious in a way. I loved that the main obstacle in the story wa
Lexie
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
KM Shea has risen to become one of my favorite writers - though I guess technically after MBRC she was pretty much, but as I'm reading her back catalog it's been cemented.

While this is a fantasy romance, that part isn't the biggest - Shea spends time showing us how despite the fact they can communicate Tari and Arion start off on the same uneven ground as the other bound pairs. Mystery, ignorance and prejudice has kept the humans and Lesser Elves from truly understanding each others' cultures.

Ar
Briana Warner
Jul 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved This book

From the first page to the last this book is amazing! I have loved all of km shea books but waited to read this book till there was more than one cuz I hate waiting for the next amazing book to come out! Don't think but all her books!!!!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Jul 12, 2016 10:39AM

• War Bound (Elven Alliance #2)
  • Fierce Heart (Elven Alliance #1)
  • Death Wind (Elven Alliance, #3)
  • Forest of Firelight (The Riven Kingdoms, #1)
  • Sea of Starlight (The Riven Kingdoms Book 2)
  • Elf Prince (Elven Alliance, #1.5)
  • The Secret Princess: A Retelling of The Goose Girl (Return to the Four Kingdoms, #1)
  • Enchantment (The Kingdom Chronicles, #5)
  • The Desperate Quest (Second Age of Retha, #2)
  • The Luckless (Second Age of Retha, #1)
  • The Revived (Second Age of Retha, #3)
  • Power of Pen and Voice: A Spoken Mage Companion Novel (The Spoken Mage, #5)
  • Shard of Glass: A Cinderella Romance (Fairy Tale Royals, #1)
  • Princess of Mermaids (Fairy Tale Adventures, #3)
  • Rook and Shadow (Salarian Chronicles #1)
  • The Coronation Ball (Four Kingdoms, #2.2)
  • A Beautiful Curse (Entwined Tales, #4)
  • Neverland Falling: A Retelling of Peter Pan: Part I (The Classical Kingdoms Collection Book 8)
K.M. Shea is going progressively bald from pulling all of her hair out when she writes.

She has a BA in Print Journalism and a minor in Japanese. She's worked as a freelance reporter, a librarian, a blogger, and an author. She lives in the country with Perfect Dog.

The Elves of Lessa (3 books)
  • Royal Magic (The Elves of Lessa, #2)
  • The Prince's Bargain (The Elves of Lessa, #3)

News & Interviews

“Of course I would fall for Captain Emotionally Constipated. I could train a rock to hold more affection for me.” 42 likes
“How dare Arion sit there and tell her he cared for her more than she for him when she was in love with him! Was the man dense? Had he fallen from his horse too many times?” 12 likes