Start by marking “Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters” as Want to Read:
Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters

Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters

(Green Arrow: 1988 Collected Editions 0)

Oliver Queen gives up his trick arrows and settles down in Seattle with Dinah Lance. But Ollie's world collides with one of unspeakable violence involving the beautiful and mysterious archer known as Shado.

Collecting: Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters 1-3
Paperback, Recopilatory, 152 pages
Published 1987 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Green Arrow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Green Arrow

Alejandro
A reading with edge!

This story was originally published as a 3-part miniseries in 1987. This TPB edition collects the whole of it.

Creative Team:

Writer & Illustrator: Mike Grell

ADAPTING V. EVOLVING

You’re wasting your time, officer. She was their friend... but they don’t know nuthin’! She got some bad crack... but they didn’t see nuthin’! She just had some bad luck... but it don’t mean nuthin’! It couldn’t happen to THEM.

Mike Grell brings the quintessential story of Green Arrow in this e
Dan Schwent
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-comics, 2018
After relocating to Seattle, Oliver Queen and Dinah Lance settle in and getting the feel of the land. When Dinah winds up hospitalized after tangling with drug dealers, Oliver crosses the line. But he's not the only one on that side of the line. Shado, a ninja archer, has her sights set on some of the same people...

Green Arrow has never been a favorite of mine but I've been a Mike Grell fan for a long time. I had some Amazon points to spare and took the plunge on this one about thirty years afte
Anne

It's not bad...really.
I mean, if you like books about people having a mid-life crisis, then you'll definitely enjoy this one.
I do have one question, however.
Um, exactly why was Oliver Queen naked so much in The Longbow Hunters? Some of it I can sort of understand, like when he's hopping out of the tub. But other parts?
Who sits around in the nude contemplating life...by candlelight?
Really?!
'Cause see, I've never done that. I might sit around in my PJ's or my sweats, but I don't just
Shannon
Nov 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
This late 1980s graphic novel took me by surprise with its fine artwork, especially in the vein of its pencil coloring. Oliver Green (a la The Green Arrow) and his lady love, Dinah Lance (a la Black Canary yet she expressed no powers and takes a back role to the main story) decide to move to Seattle. As was expected of the times drug trafficking was considered a big issue and so they both go on separate investigations to stop it.

Ollie meets an Asian bow woman who seems as good as him if not be
Chad
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Mike Grell throws out the boxing glove arrows and Errol Flynn hat for razor sharp arrows and a hood. One of the first mature readers comics of the 80's, Grell reinvents Green Arrow as an urban hunter willing to kill when necessary to right wrongs. Shado is also introduced as the flip side to Oliver Queen. Grell's run on Green Arrow is one of the main influences on his TV counterpart. Mike Grell's hand shaded art is glorious.
Mark
Oct 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, comics
This is a comic I had read before in a series of monthly installments that also contained other great comic series from DC that had a low interest but combined would be interesting [one of them was also a Shadow comic] and it is a credit that after twelve monthly installments they finished every story and then was no more sold. This Green Arrow was one of the stories and I quite liked it. I had only heard of the Green arrow once before and that was in the classic Miller comic "The dark knight".

W
Brad
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
When a comic store discussion kicks up about Mike Grell's GreenArrow: The Longbow Hunters, there is an almost religious hush that settles on the speakers as they stand around the stacks or lean against the glass display cases. There is a sort of mythic reverence these nerd acolytes try to pass on to the uninitiated, and having once been one of the latter, I myself was personally touched by the former.

Due to a peculiarity in me, however, I didn't take my copy home and devour it with a born-again
Mike (the Paladin)
Dec 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Many of you who've followed my reviews will know that when it comes to graphic novels (comic book heroes) I'm primarily a Marvel fan. However even though I pretty much stopped reading DC when I was young I stayed aware of some of the main-line characters. Though some may argue that Green Arrow isn't a main-line character, I always liked him and liked the idea. Like Batman he's a talented and fit but otherwise normal human. I lost interest in him to and when I considered it he and Hawkeye (Marvel ...more
Timothy Boyd
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Mike Grell greatly influences any character he writes and draws. Here he takes Green Arrow and makes him a much more interesting and complex character. Very Recommended
Chris Lemmerman
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Green Arrow has a midlife crisis" doesn't seem like the best hook for a series, and yet Longbow Hunters pulls it off easily. Framed by the apparently unconnected murders of random people by a mysterious archer, Oliver deals with his biological clock ticking over while Black Canary goes through her own trials and tribulations.

First off, I was always under the impression that the Longbow Hunters were a group of assassins out to get GA, and for that, I blame Arrow, because that's exactly what they
Shannon Appelcline
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics-dc, comics
It's hard to understand today how much this comic changed both Green Arrow and the comic book industry way back in 1987. But the very human characters, the human villains, and the realistic violence, that was all pretty unheard of at the time. Even today it stands out, and you can see its continued influence in the characters and visuals of the Arrow TV show.

Beyond that The Longbow Hunters is a visually stunning, beautiful comic with a great plot for its humanity and great characters. It reads a
mangaman
Sep 12, 2017 rated it liked it
The first part of this book deals with Green Arrow trying to catch with a serial killer named the Seattle Slasher (sounds like an 80's thrash metal band). This book is kind of a Dark Knight Returns story for Green Arrow. He's 43 years old and aging, and he is trying to come to terms with his romantic feelings he has had with Black Canary over the years. I will say right off the bat I did like the more 80s style mature approach to the character but that doesn't exactly make it a great book. It's ...more
Stephen
Jul 09, 2010 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. Decent mini-series that re-introduced Green Arrow as a mainstream DC hero. Decent writing, mature plot line and pretty good art.
Hannah
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love the story and the artwork blew me away so beautifully done.
Adam Spanos
Really didn't care for the coloring, or the absence of ink drawing (the more traditional drawing typically in comic books). The story was okay... I would agree that it was somewhat daring for its time, but seems a bit tame nowadays. Not to say that the violation of the Canary was not shocking... but it was handled with care and sensitivity... as much as it could have been, anyway. No denying Grell is a good storyteller. Had a pretty good and interesting ending. Some clunky storytelling in the be ...more
Martin
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, suspense, reviewed
I had the honour of meeting Mike Grell at the 2016 Montreal Comiccon and the privilege of getting my copy of The Longbow Hunters signed. Thanks, Mr. Grell!

This mature take on Green Arrow, originally published in 1987, is a de facto Vertigo title. The Vertigo imprint did not yet officially exist at DC Comics (and would not until 1993), but this book, along with the subsequent series by Mike Grell (Green Arrow vol.3, #1 -80) and the Doom Patrol series (among others), with their mature themes, coar
Craig
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the story of Oliver and Dinah relocating to Seattle, trying to start a new life without too much wool-gathering or leftover haunting over their past. It's very well written and I thought the illustration was superb. I was a bit surprised to find a bit of nudity and some rather extreme violence in a book from thirty years ago, but I suppose they weren't too far removed from the CCA and had to celebrate that freedom. At one point Dinah is captured and tortured and is very much in need of r ...more
Cass Winters
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
I reviewed this on my blog, this was my review of it (on the blog I had an artwork rating of 4 stars and an overall rating of 2 stars, the overall rating is what I used here:

I decided to read this because I have never really read a lot of Green Arrow comics. He always just seemed like Robin Hood to me, which I have never really been much of a fan of either. It is strange though because Hawkeye from Marvel, I do like. Not sure what the difference between the two is. Oh, I think I know what it is
Jay
Feb 14, 2019 rated it liked it
I remember reading this storyline when it was published in single issue format, but it has been so long that I really didn't recall much about the story itself.

So when I had the chance to meet writer and artist Mike Grell at a convention last year, I picked up the trade collection for him to sign.

Now that I've finally refreshed my memory, I find that the story is OK but still doesn't seem to quite grab me like I'd hoped. The art is amazing though.

When Oliver Queen and Dinah Lance (Green Arrow a
Perry
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Basically a Michael Winner comic. Insidiously enjoyable, well-drawn trash.
Fizzgig76
Apr 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Reprints Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters #1-3 (August 1987-November 1987). Oliver Queen and his girlfriend Dinah Lance are starting a new life in Seattle. When they begin to investigate a series of murders, they discover a deeper plot involving drug trafficking and an archer sworn to vengeance going back decades. When Green Arrow is forced to cross a line that he’s never crossed before, he realizes there is no going back and that he must fight to protect what is his.

Written and illustrated by M
Chompa
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this ages ago and as a huge Green Arrow fan (long before the TV show) I need to throw out a short review.

Mike Grell had become popular writing/drawing Warlord and Jon Sable Freelance. DC gave him a shot at reintroducing the Green Arrow and he did it in an interesting way. Mike Grell didn't buy into the whole trick arrow thing, he didn't like super-heroes and he didn't like the silly costume that Neal Adams originally gave the hero.

Grell's Green Arrow had a much more functional hunting o
Tiara
Nov 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, dc-comics
Spoilerish. Finally getting around to finishing this after it sat sadly neglected during the holidays. This was my second choice reading since I couldn't get my hands on what I really wanted at the time, which was Captain America: The Chosen (but I have it now).

I liked how the story opened with the hunters versus prey analogy, painting the city as an urban jungle of sorts, but I wasn't immediately drawn into the story. It wasn't a bad story, but it wasn't doing much for me. Moments of it like t
Paul
Oct 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
There was a time when DC was re-defining their characters... oh wait, aren't they always trying to re-define so and so on what seems to be an annual basis now?

Well, other than the fact that they're always re-defining their characters, let's just say there was a time when they actually did it right.

Following on the heels of Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns, and soon to be followed by Tim Truman's Hawkworld, Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters actually manages to take a low-level character and give
Alex Sarll
From the mid-to-late eighties' 'comics aren't just for kids anymore' moment, this was probably the last of the key texts I'd not read - Mike Grell's reinvention of Oliver Queen as a thoroughly fallible and human hero. Of course, something similar had already been done in the seventies, arguably laying the groundwork for Watchmen et al by adding some social justice substance to Green Arrow's Robin Hood look, making his kid sidekick a junkie and so forth, which itself says a lot about the urge to ...more
Jbainnz
Nov 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
I got this because it's been referred to as Green Arrows "Dark Knight Returns". Although it's not in the same ball park where the darker aspect is concerned. This is still a lot grittier and real than any other GA book I've read, but doesn't quite stand up to the glorious 5 star rating.

I'll admit I haven't read much Green Arrow stories, even though I really enjoy his character (pre-New 52). This is set when Oliver is in his 40's after moving to Seattle with Dinah Lance aka Black Canary. The two
Brian Walker
Oct 27, 2012 rated it did not like it
The closest Green Arrow has to a 'Dark Knight Returns', this "grim and gritty" graphic novel sets a mid-40's something Green Arrow against a rival archer and pits Black Canary against a drug cartel. The art is beautiful, and most of the early storytelling is quite good, however (spoilers ahead), the writer falls back on the old "hurt the male hero's girlfriend so that there's a reason for him to get dark" cliché. In this case, it is Black Canary who is done a great disservice and I failed to enj ...more
Dustin Morley
Jun 20, 2014 rated it liked it
I had been wanting to read this graphic novel for a couple of years and I think the build up led to me feeling a little disappointed by it.

The story really revolves around Oliver Queen suffering what is more or less a mini midlife crisis. That part was interesting, as was the idea of legacy and just what Oliver and Dinah had to give up to be in the hero business.

However, the other characters had a lot of potential but lacked enough development to make them really stand out in my opinion.

Still
James
Jun 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one would seem to be very instrumental and changing the face of comics - for the better. I wish I had read it much sooner.
Joe
Oct 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Read this all those years ago, loved mike grell's art work & story telling
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Justice Society Returns
  • Suicide Squad, Volume 1: Trial By Fire
  • Starman, Vol. 4: Times Past
  • Justice League International, Vol. 3
Mike Grell (born 1947) is a comic book writer and artist.

Grell studied at the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay, the Chicago Academy of Fine Art, and took the Famous Artists School correspondence course in cartooning. His entry into the comics industry was in 1972, as an assistant to Dale Messick on the Brenda Starr comic strip.

In 1973 Grell moved to New York, and began his long relationship with

Green Arrow: 1988 Collected Editions (10 books)
  • Green Arrow, Vol. 1: Hunters Moon