Start by marking “For the Good of the Game: The Inside Story of the Surprising and Dramatic Transformation of Major League Baseball” as Want to Read:

ANew York Timesbestseller.

Foreword by Doris Kearns Goodwin
The longtime Commissioner of Major League Baseball provides an unprecedented look inside professional baseball today, focusing on how he helped bring the game into the modern age and revealing his interactions with players, managers, fellow owners, and fans nationwide.

More than a century old, the game of baseball
Published July 9th 2019 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about For the Good of the Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For the Good of the Game

Start your review of For the Good of the Game: The Inside Story of the Surprising and Dramatic Transformation of Major League Baseball
Lance
From working for his dad as a used car salesman “for only one year” to becoming the ninth commissioner of baseball, Bud Selig lived a charmed life, capped off by being elected to the baseball Hall of Fame. His work in baseball, first as an owner of the Milwaukee Brewers (and being the key person to bringing the bankrupt Seattle Pilots to Milwaukee) and then as commissioner is remembered by Selig in this memoir.

Anyone who is familiar with the game knows that Selig was commissioner during two of
Alan Kaplan
Aug 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I went to a talk by Bud Selig and as part of the admission, you received a copy of this book, signed by Selig himself. The talk was basically a summary of the book, and he told all of the interesting parts at his lecture. Basically, Selig states that when he took over as acting and later on as baseball commissioner, the sport was in dire straits. Many of the small and medium market teams were in danger of closing up shop. This may or may not be true, but it definitely worked on forcing the ...more
Mike Kennedy
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baseball
Very interesting autobiography from the ninth commissioner of baseball. Bud Selig grew up in Milwaukee with a love of baseball that was passed on by his mother. After graduating college, he joined his dad’s very successful car business. That changed when the Milwaukee Braves left town. He was heartbroken. He started a group to bring baseball back to Milwaukee. He succeeded in 1971 when he moved the Seattle Pilots to Milwaukee to become the Brewers.

After owning the team for twenty years, he took
Zach Koenig
Oct 02, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm always wary of autobiographies or memoirs. Unless a subject is a solid writer with great internal perspective, they can come off as many different things other than "good". That's exactly what happens here in Bud Selig's "For The Good Of The Game".

Because Selig was the commissioner of Major League Baseball for a long time, he is going to have stories to share and be able to convey a sense of historical context/gravitas. He does both of those things pretty well in this book. When the text is
Lane
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: baseball
An interesting read on baseball especially on Selig's time as commissioner. It is good to have his view and to place it in context of all of the other stories about the era. The steroid period is still controversial and it is interesting to have Selig's view. The editing could have been a little tighter (several repeats of events and ideas) and more details would have made it more interesting. Definitely a must read for any baseball fan.
A Reader's Heaven
(I received a free review copy of this book from Edeweiss in exchange for an honest review.)

More than a century old, the game of baseball is resistant to change—owners, managers, players, and fans all hate it. Yet, now more than
Andrew Watkins
Aug 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Admittedly, I didn’t like Bud Selig before reading the book. Now I like him even less. As the 9th commissioner of Major League Baseball, he definitely had an important and influential tenure. If you want a more objective and better written account of that tenure, read “The Game” by John Pessah.

This book is more or less the somewhat disorganized ramblings of Bud Selig, but if you want to know what he thinks about various issues in baseball, he’ll tell you in this book. There are lots of people he
Kate Schwarz
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book—it gave me a better appreciation for the business of baseball, and who better to tell the story than the guy who oversaw it for about two decades, during which there was scandal, drama, and hard times? The book is an interesting read, and I plan on buying my grandpa, who played semi-professional ball in the 1940s, a copy of it.
Eric
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
The first half covers Selig's early years, which made for dull reading. The second half, when we finally get to his time as commissioner is better, but Selig doesn't give us nearly enough detail. I would really like to read a book dealing with the 1994-1995 baseball strike, as well as the steroids scandal, as I think that both of these unfortunate events have an impact on the baseball we see today. I consider myself to be a supporter of Selig's, I think his changes were necessary and have ...more
Michael Travis
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I finished this book and came full circle in landing with admiration and respect for Bud Selig, his story, his love for the game and the results he facilitated during some pretty tumultuous and at times ugly times in baseball. I now wish that I had stopped him at the WBC inaugural championship game in San Diego when we walked by each other and thanked him for his service to the game.
John Bolles
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
All real baseball fans (especially those in Milwaukee and the rest of the State of Wisconsin) should read this book. It provides tremendous insight into the business of baseball going back to the late 1950’s.
Tommy
Sep 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Not a bad read, and perhaps a perfect summation of a man I've always believed motivated by little more than money, self-congratulatory and short-sighted. The argument that "baseball was on the brink of collapse" is spurious. True, many of the problems (labor, and drug testing) were inherited, but the solutions, such was they were, were inevitable. I have long considered Selig a man with the particular talent to be in the right place at the right time. This book did little to persuade me ...more
Tim Baker
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was surprised by how much I loved this book. As a lifelong baseball fan that grew up with the game during Selig's reign as Commissioner, this was a nostalgic view of the good, bad and ugly of baseball in the 90's and 2000's. Everything from the strike that killed the '94 World Series, 9/11 and the steroid era is heavily detailed in this book.

While it was easy to blame Selig for turning a blind eye during the steroid era in favor of increased revenues and ratings, hearing it from his point of
Jeff
Sep 04, 2019 rated it liked it
While I will always be grateful for Bud Selig for first bringing to town, and then keeping, the Milwaukee Brewers I will admittedly always be hard pressed to tip the scales in his favor. The cancellation of the 1994 World Series, the tie in the 2002 All Star Game, the All Star Game deciding home field advantage in the World Series, and the rampant steroid use during his tenure as Commissioner have jaded me against him.
That said, this was an interesting read being able to see his side of his(to
Dave Reads
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Milwaukee baseball fans revere Bud Selig as the man who saved major baseball in Milwaukee….twice. When the Braves moved to Atlanta, he worked tirelessly to get a new team for the city. Eventually, the Pilots gave up on Seattle and the team moved to Milwaukee as the Brewers. Then when offers were being made to move the Brewers away from its aging stadium, Selig led the charge to build a new state of the art stadium. Then when the owners turned to him to be Commissioner of baseball, he explains in ...more
Matthew LaPine
This is a kind of feel-good book about Bud Selig's life, from a young boy following baseball and fantasizing about being "in" baseball, to his adult life that led from one fortunate connection to another, starting from working in a car dealership to meeting players buying cars, to working in the Milwaukee Braves organization, to creating an ownership group and acquiring the failing Seattle Pilots and turning them into the Milwaukee Brewers, to becoming the commissioner of Major League Baseball, ...more
Paul Miller
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've never been a Bud Selig fan - he and Sarah Sanders always have struck me as similar types. Glum, dour, never happy,.... not a fun person to be around. The Bud Selig we meet in this book isn't the life of the party but comes across as a real, \ likable guy - his explanations of how he became an owner in Milwaukee, felt about them moving to Atlanta, acted as commissioner dealing with cocaine and steroids.... struck me as very reasonable. Perhaps it's because it confirmed what I've always ...more
Christine
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Self indulgent and self congratulatory. Skipped the first 80 pages about him growing up as I wasn't interested and the book wasn't advertised as a biography. Quite a few pages about work stoppages and why the players union was not interested in the health of its own players or of the game; this was angled to make himself and the owners look good in comparison. Many stories about his successes such as getting Theo Epstein to Chicago, and of course Theo was very grateful to him. I was disappointed ...more
Sandy
Oct 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult, biography
3.5 stars. This was a compelling read. I especially enjoyed the early chapters that focused on Bud's early love of the game, his youthful obsession with the Milwaukee Braves, and how be brought the Pilots to Milwaukee to become the Brewers. I'm truly impressed at how well-connected Selig was, in his youth, and the entire book is a testament to how good he must be at networking and building relationships.

Occasionally I was confused about how he got from Point A to Point B. For example, I
Andrew Spencer
3 stars not 4 because he rambles on a bit at times. Otherwise it’s a very fascinating account of how Baseball has changed over the decades, and a very unique insight that only 8 other people have on the game. As someone who loved Baseball and lived through issues like the strikes (work stoppages, not successfully thrown pitches), home run records being broken by steroid users, the introduction of inter league play and other interesting changes, I really enjoyed hearing the perspective of the ...more
Daniel Nelson
Jul 20, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a light read from Bud Selig. I was struck by the open dialogue and frankness in the book discussing difficult issues facing Major League Baseball. At times the book is a little repetitive with the theme of the book...do things for...yes you guessed it, "the good of the game." There are some passages that are a little self-serving, but that's to be expected in some autobiographical accounts. Overall I enjoyed it the read and found insight in how Selig approached the problems in modern day ...more
Patrick J. McAdam
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As someone who’s watched baseball for many years, I really enjoyed this book. I’ve lived through the player strikes and the steroids era and this book provided great insight to these and many other issues.

The book came off a bit as self congratulatory, but hey after dealing with Don Fehr, Pete Rose, Fred Wilpon, and all those other characters, Bud probably has the right to grab some credit now that he’s retired and in his 80’s!
Stephanie Mackey
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love the authentic feel of this book- you could feel Selig's voice and personality coming through every word. I am new to following baseball (actively following the Brewers for 3 years now) and this book taught me a lot of baseball history while also giving me lots to look up. I definitely plan to read this book again (maybe in a few years) to soak up more details. I really want to meet Bud Selig after reading this book!
Robert Kotzen
Sep 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Bud Selig is generally not revered by the community of baseball fans but I did gain some respect for him in that he clearly loves the game and has to be recognized for his amazing efforts when he was younger to keep a team in Milwaukee. Unfortunately, an enormous ego comes through that seems to not allow for any introspection or recognition of contrary points of view. The book could have more accurately been titled "For the Good of Small-market Owners and Their Fans".
Jason Zaikov
Oct 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Well, so that's Selig's side of the story, which is I guess what I should've expected from his memoir. I'd be interested to read stories from the other side (mostly the players union reps, who he blames everything on) especially on topics like drug testing in baseball. He definitely likes to pat his own back.
Linda
Sep 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-read-2019
I love baseball! Bud Selig was BB commissioner for two decades, beginning when the sport was in need of change. Selig tells the story of this great sport from the 1940's - the '90's when BB was almost lost as the great American pastime. If you love sports and particularly baseball, you may enjoy the book. If not, you would be bored to death.
Michael Rhoda
Nov 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Pretty interesting read of inside baseball by the former commissioner. But my god, this guy is pompous, prone to Trumpisms such as "Nobody likes/ cares about/ did more... than me" on multiple issues. He even claims to have invented the Rooney Rule for interviewing minority candidates, renaming it the Selig Rule. Still, learned a lot about the inner workings of baseball.
Rick Ferris
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Overall a very pleasant read. Bud is quite open on decisions he made. His love for the game is very evident which made the book even more enjoyable. You can tell he is touchy about some of the criticisms against him but that is understandable
Steve
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good book covering a difficult time in MLB.
Kiki
Oct 19, 2019 rated it liked it
It's definitely a toot your own horn kind of autobiography, but for baseball fans (especially those with Milwaukee connections), it is still an interesting and fast read.

• K: A History of Baseball in Ten Pitches
  • 108 Stitches: Loose Threads, Ripping Yarns, and the Darndest Characters from My Time in the Game
  • Homegrown: How the Red Sox Built a Champion from the Ground Up
  • Ballpark: Baseball in the American City
  • Inside the Empire: The True Power Behind the New York Yankees
  • The MVP Machine: How Baseball's New Nonconformists Are Using Data to Build Better Players
  • Let's Play Two: The Legend of Mr. Cub, the Life of Ernie Banks
  • One Giant Leap: The Impossible Mission That Flew Us to the Moon
  • Full Count: The Education of a Pitcher
  • All the Way: My Life in Four Quarters
  • Just Show Up: And Other Enduring Values from Baseball's Iron Man
  • Wild and Crazy Guys: How the Comedy Mavericks of the '80s Changed Hollywood Forever
  • The Big Fella: Babe Ruth and the World He Created
  • Curveball: My Story of Overcoming Ego, Finding My Purpose, and Achieving True Success
  • The Bastard Brigade: The True Story of the Renegade Scientists and Spies Who Sabotaged the Nazi Atomic Bomb
  • The Vagabonds: The Story of Henry Ford and Thomas Edison's Ten-Year Road Trip
  • The Liberation of Paris: How Eisenhower, de Gaulle, and von Choltitz Saved the City of Light
  • Play Hungry: The Making of a Baseball Player