Start by marking “American Betiya” as Want to Read:
American Betiya

American Betiya

Fans of Sandhya Menon, Erika Sanchez and Jandy Nelson will identify with this powerful story of a young artist grappling with first love, family boundaries, and the complications of a cross-cultural relationship.

Rani Kelkar has never lied to her parents, until she meets Oliver. The same qualities that draw her in--his tattoos, his charisma, his passion for art--make him he
Expected publication: March 9th 2021 by Knopf

To ask other readers questions about American Betiya, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Betiya

All the Stars and Teeth by Adalyn  GraceThese Violent Delights by Chloe GongAll Your Twisted Secrets by Diana  UrbanWhere Dreams Descend by Janella AngelesThe Loop by Ben  Oliver
YA Debuts 2020
149 books — 538 voters
A ​Court of Silver Flames by Sarah J. MaasWings of Ebony by J.  ElleUntitled by Sarah J. MaasWe Free the Stars by Hafsah FaizalAll the Tides of Fate by Adalyn  Grace
YA Novels of 2021
625 books — 1,024 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of American Betiya
Liza Wiemer
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Put American Betiya on your TBR list!!

I am so incredibly thrilled that this magnificent, unforgettable #ownvoices novel will be published in 2020. What a journey it's been for Anuradha! She has put her heart, soul, tears, and joy into creating American Betiya, which won the SCBWI YA Emerging Voices Award. With a setting in Evanston, IL and India, readers will get a personal view into Rani's close-knit Indian family and Oliver, the boyfriend who desperately wants to fit into it.

This is a novel
Lauren Fox
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written and completely heartfelt. Rani is a funny, lovable, searching protagonist. This book is a gem.
Fanna
Jun 29, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2021-releases
June 29, 2020: The title is enough to suffice my desi soul. I mean, how many times have you seen BETIYA it means daughter on a book????
Christina Clancy
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had the pleasure of reading an advance copy of Rajurkar's novel, a vivid portrayal of the challenges of growing up between cultures and traditions, the torturous emotions of first love, and the extremely relatable teenage angst we all experience. Rujurkar's writing is pitch perfect, and anchored in sensory details that immerse you in Evanston and high school. The novel is a combination of silk saris and rubber-soled combat boots: the perfect balance of sensitivity and edgy toughness. Young rea ...more
Svapna Sabnis
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to get an advanced copy of this book. I loved it! The characters spoke to me. I loved the Rani, an Indian American girl negotiating two cultures and forbidden love. She is spunky and smart. Her boyfriend, her family and best friend are beautifully portrayed.
Solace_In_Reading
6.29.2020
omg have you seen this cover!!! this is amazing and I love it. I cannot wait to read it! and it takes place in Illinois, where I live!
SANJEEV DESHMUKH
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very Interesting .Eagerly waiting for release of this book American Betiya.
Liam
Oct 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book already won a prize before being published (the National SCBWI Emerging Voices Award) and it's easy to see why -- it's so beautifully written and exceptionally wise. Though it's about teenage characters and written for a teenage readership, the truth is that adults will get a lot out of this book, too, and possibly more. The narrator, Rani, is impossible not to root for as she navigates the high-stakes final months of high school. She's smart, compassionate, a good friend, and working ...more
Jon O
Aug 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book beautifully explores the excitement and pain of a cross-cultural relationship that breaks cultural taboos, a teen romance carried out beyond the view of parents and others who may disapprove. The author’s ear for dialogue is pitch-perfect, and her understanding of high-school interactions, and academic and social hierarchies, make this a book that young people -- even old ones -- will recognize themselves in. Plus, it’s just a great story!
Sacha
Nov 22, 2020 added it
Thanks to NetGalley and Knopf Books for Young Readers for this arc, which I received in exchange for an honest review. I will post that review upon publication.
PK
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had the distinct pleasure of reading American Betiya over the past few days. I’m completely blown away by the book—the quality of the dialogue and writing, the flow, the messages, it’s emotive quality, and the freshness of the story. It's a must-read, providing thoughtful, timeless insights on love that teens and adults alike will appreciate. This is one of the most meaningful and important books I've ever read.
Rachel
Sep 28, 2020 marked it as to-read
I just pre-ordered this here in the UK for next year release because it sounds so good and look at that beautiful gorgeous cover too! Most looking forward to reading this one :)
Sagarika
Nov 25, 2020 is currently reading it
I won an e-ARC from the author and I am thrilled to read this omg I've been waiting for this book for so long :O
Michele
Lynn Painter
« previous 1 3 next »

• Can't Take That Away
  • Daughters of a Dead Empire
  • Pride and Premeditation (Jane Austen Murder Mystery, #1)
  • A Dark and Hollow Star (A Dark and Hollow Star, #1)
  • Daughter of Sparta
  • Kingdom of Secrets
  • Rise of the Red Hand (The Mechanists, #1)
  • Clues to the Universe
  • Rea and the Blood of the Nectar (The Chronicles of Astranthia, #1)
  • Dangerous Play
  • I'll Be the One
  • Amelia Unabridged
  • The Reckless Kind
  • Josephine Against the Sea
Anuradha D. Rajurkar is the SCBWI Emerging Voices Award-winning author of AMERICAN BETIYA, a contemporary young adult debut novel to be published March 9, 2021 by Knopf/Penguin Random House. It's a story of a teen artist's forbidden interracial love, her close-knit immigrant family, and her boyfriend's desperate desire to fit into her Indian culture--even if it means betrayal.

Holding two degrees f