Start by marking “29 Dates” as Want to Read:
29 Dates

29 Dates

Expected publication: December 18th 2018 by Inkyard Press

To ask other readers questions about 29 Dates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 29 Dates

Samantha (WLABB)
Rating: 3.5 Stars

Jisu was devastated, when her parents shipped her off to San Francisco in hopes that she could perform better in an American school, but they may have given her the greatest gift, since her new environment did yield some stellar results.

• Pro: Jisu was easy to like and root for. My heart broke, when her whole life was uprooted, but I admired the way she took it in stride, and also commended her on fulfilling her filial duties. Beside being under the standard pressure to get into
Barbara Senteney
Sep 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Ji-su is a 17 year old girl from Seoul Korea. She is about to begin her last year of high school, but her grades are not up to her parents standards. During the summer she has been ordered to go on Dates, arranged by a matchmaker hired by her parents. One night she decides to cancel a date and go to a club with friends to see a bunch of bands. When she comes home her parents break the news, she must go to America where she might excell in the laxed atmosphere and without the distractions of her ...more
Renee Taylor
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"I received this copy from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review"

Jisu's traditional South Korean parents are concerned by what they see as her lack of attention to her schoolwork and her future. Working with Seoul's premiere matchmaker to find the right boyfriend is one step toward ensuring Jisu's success, and going on the recommended dates is Jisu's compromise to please her parents while finding space to figure out her own dreams. But when she flubs a test then skips out
Silvia
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
29 Dates follows Jisu, a young South Korean girl as she navigates a new high school in a different country after her parents find her struggling to cope at her very competitive high school in Seoul and send her off to America. Living with a host family, Jisu has a hard time juggling school and new friends as well as going on blind dates that her mother's match maker sends her on.

I really enjoyed this book. I liked Jisu and how she always had an open mind when going on her blind dates even though
Library
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shes not doing well in her elite school, maybe an average student. Now her parents have decided to send her halfway across the world, to the U.S.A., to finish high school, apply to an appropriate college and find her future husband. How would you feel?
Ji-su's parents expect a lot from her, she is their only child and they are wealthy; that is why they can afford the pricey matchmaker who is responsible for setting Ji-su up on so many dates. Conflicted between priorities of her home land and this
Caryn {iam.caryn}
Actual rating: 3.5 stars.

This was a very sweet little book. It was a nice and light and fresh read that would be an excellent choice to pick up after reading something heavy and/or emotional.

I do think this was definitely geared more towards actual 17 year olds.

As an adult YA reader, not every book is a complete win.

This cute and charming story is the perfect read for diverse teen girls who are going through the stress of college applications.
I think they’ll find a kindred spirit with Jisu.

Would
Sara
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I received this copy thru a Goodreads giveaway. I think the concept was interesting and and showing snippets form her 29 dates scattered throughout the book was a good idea. My issue is some of the dates were boring (possibly on purpose) and I found myself skipping them because I already knew none of the dates were going to work out until we get to date #29. Speaking of which early on I figured out who was going to be date #29 and so I just wanted to get to that part of the book.
Rachel
Dec 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5 Entertaining, but predictable. The best part of the book was the backdrop of the main character's Korean culture, but it didn't really factor into the book as much as I thought it would, aside from the seons she went on. Ultimately, this remained a standard light rom-com and didn't really get elevated to the next level for me.
Christine Stamper
I really WANTED to like this book--diverse representation! interesting premise! normalization of culturally specific events! feminism! But, it was very meh. I found it super predicable (and not in a fun way), the writing a bit stilted, and the social justice bits annoyingly in-your-face.
Heather
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I won an early copy of this book through a Goodreads giveaway. I enjoyed this book enough to read it in one sitting and would recommend it to fans of Sarah Dessen, Julie Buxbaum, and Jenn Bennett.
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a good book. Ji-Su was a good character. I like to read about her dates. Thank you goodreads for the book. I would recommend it.
Teresa
Oct 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Longer review to come!!!
Thanks to Inkyard Press for the ARC!
Wick
Tash
Must read this book!! I love stories that are about where my grandma was born & raised as well as a story that is similar to my grandma's real life story, growing up in South Korea & then moving to the United States (though for different reasons). Someday I will find a way to be able to visit where my grandma is from, but until then I want to find books like this to read stories that are similar!
Bailey Shrewsbury
Lostshark
Angie
Nov 11, 2018
Goodreads Librari...: Two Versions of Same Book 1 20 Aug 10, 2018 06:29AM
Melissa de la Cruz is the New York Times and USA Today best-selling author of many critically acclaimed and award-winning novels for teens including The Au Pairs series, the Blue Bloods series, the Ashleys series, the Angels on Sunset Boulevard series and the semi-autobiographical novel Fresh off the Boat.

Her books for adults include the novel Cat’s Meow, the anthology Girls Who Like Boys Who Like