Start by marking “Crowfall (Raven's Mark, #3)” as Want to Read:
Crowfall (Raven's Mark, #3)

Crowfall

(Raven's Mark #3)

Crowfall is a gritty epic fantasy for fans of Mark Lawrence, Scott Lynch and Daniel Polansky.

'Dark, twisty and excellent . . . Grimdark with heart' Mark Lawrence

A sorceress cataclysm has hit the Range, the final defensive line between the Republic and the immortal Deep Kings.

Published June 13th 2019 by Gollancz

Start your review of Crowfall (Raven's Mark, #3)
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
Crowfall provides a spectacularly epic conclusion to a trilogy that has the potential haunt your nightmares in its creepiness; it’s so dark, so bleak and so wonderfully written. Everything is brought together here perfectly, a very clever ending indeed!

And I must admit, I’m pleasantly surprised. Going into this I felt that there was a little too much to conclude in just one book, but it all slots together. Ed McDonald demonstrates his ability for planning as he delivers the final strokes of the
James Lafayette Tivendale
"Another Heart of the Void? The sky is shattered, the rain sends men mad. Even the geese are trying to eat us. What the fuck do we have to gain by unleashing that kind of power again?"

I received an advanced reading copy of Crowfall in exchange for an honest review. I would like to thank Ed McDonald and Ace Books for the opportunity. May contain spoilers for Ravencry.

Crowfall is an engaging and thrilling final chapter to an excellent dark fantasy trilogy. I have seen the Raven's Mark series
Emma
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Galharrow has been monstrously changed by his time in the Misery; underneath the transformation, a desperate plan to make himself powerful enough to alter the future. And he’s not the only one. Time has passed and people are not who he remembers them to be. Everyone has their own hopes, their own schemes, their own… betrayals? The Deep Kings are coming. And now a new weapon has been found, strong enough to crack open the skies once again. But who in this world can be trusted to use it?

‘[I] still
Peter McLean
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy

They say that misery loves company, and in the Misery you're never alone. Especially If you're Backwing Captain Ryhalt Galharrow, haunted by the bitter ghosts of the past.

This book is raw and emotional in a way I didn't expect. It's a very different book to its predecessors, yet is still an almost inevitable conclusion to Galharrow's character arc. Watching him fall apart through his own narrative brings a fresh edge of pain to the storytelling.

This series is ultimately a story of love and
Lukasz
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dark-fantasy
There is no mistaking the distinctive voice of Ed McDonald and his protagonist - Ryhalt Galharrow, a captain of shadowy Blackwings. His story ends here*. If you thought that Ryhalt went through hell, and nothing worse would happen to him,you were wrong.

Crowfall concludes Raven’s Mark trilogy, and it’s epic. Not only does it revealschemes and treasons of various parts and characters, but it also riffs onthe themes of belonging, love, honor, identity and the ability to find a home in hostile new
Adam
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
When facing duress for long periods of time, sanity can be fleeting. It’s no stretch of the imagination to see how prisoners, hostages, or fugitives can be driven toward poor decision-making when lives are at stake. If the stakes are raised to apocalyptic levels, then any form of predictive behavior becomes unreliable. Enter: Ryhalt Galharrow. Savior of Valengrad. Captain on the Blackwings. Desolate madman. Ed McDonald’s previous novel Ravencry concluded with Ryhalt leaving Valengrad to go live ...more
Justine
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: most-anticipated
Never alone.

All things must end, and the saga of Ryhalt Galharrow comes to a close with one magnificently striking and emotional conclusion. All the events of McDonald's Raven's Mark series have brought us to this moment, as the threat of the Deep Kings hovers like a black cloud about to release a cascade of poison rain upon the Misery and beyond. Galharrow stands alone against the storm, persevering in the face of failure and forging ahead when the world is set on relentlessly beating him down.
Mike Everest Evans
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Good: Above and beyond the compelling characters and punchy plot, this is a book that keeps you guessing right up until the final page.

The Bad: As with Ravencry, Crowfall embarks on an entirely new direction to a destination that I hadn’t anticipated – some readers may dislike this, but I for one am happy to hop on the bandwagon.

The Ugly Truth: Crowfall takes everything you would expect of this book and tears it up right in front of you, before handing you something you would never have
kartik narayanan
Jul 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Read the full review at my site Digital Amrit

Introduction
The Raven's Mark trilogy is a grim dark fantasy that has shades of Glen Cook's Black Company and Joe Abercrombie's First Law in it. It is at turns, weird, fantastic and riveting. I am a huge fan of the first two books - Blackwing & Ravencry. With Crowfall, Ed McDonald, brings this epic narrative to an end.

Characters
The characters and the world-building have been the stand-out features in this series and they continue to be in this
Micperk
This was another difficult one to review, I've loved this series and this book did a good job of finishing it up. It took a bit for me to figure out why I wasn't as enthralled with this one as the previous two. I think the series should've been longer, for me it felt like this book was just pushing forward at breakneck speed to offer an ending to the story. Wasn't really any reveals or major details into the background of the nameless or the deep kings. From the beginning it felt like I knew ...more
Miriam Michalak
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! That was some fucking ride!!

Dark, monstrously brutal, visceral, grimmer than most grimdark novels but oh, the humanity. The wonderful, awful, beautiful, flawed humanity of the book. Hope in a dark world shines through and the ending was unexpected and really rather good :)

A fabulous end to a great series. Am already missing the Misery.

Shree143
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Damn! This is Some Great Stuff! You Should Try This!
And if you haven't read this series yet then you're wasting your time, literally.
Kristen
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full review is here on my blog!~

Everything is coming to a head in this final volume of The Raven's Mark series. That said, I'll try my level best not to spoil anything from the first two books for those of you who haven't read them.

But, I mean for those of you who haven't read them... go... go do that thing. :D

Things between the godlike Nameless and their nemeses, the also-rather-godlike Deep Kings are coming right to a head, and where 90 years earlier, Crowfoot detonated a weapon that created
Bogdan
Sep 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, grimdark
Yeah, just finished the series... anddd.... I`m not very happy!!!

The story was quite linear, no surprises, no risks involved, a lot of dialogues and (uninteresting) thinking (and this is on repeat) on the part of the main character and the list goes on...

There are some nice things, like the images involving some details of the story from the Art of War, or others details from the main character past, but overall, didn`t help a lot.

I wanted to give this one at least a four stars rating, but the
Marielle
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-own
Best one in the series! Absolutely loved it!
A better ending than I'd expected...
Lashaan Balasingam (Bookidote)

You can find my review on my blog by clicking here.

To make a long story short, there are only a few authors who manage to successfully deliver a perfect trilogy in my books. They come once in a blue moon and leave an everlasting impression on you with their characters, their worlds, their ideas, and their prose. When I first came across Blackwing, my heart was stolen and sealed in a lockbox for Ed McDonald to do whatever he wishes with it. With Ravencry, he manipulated my emotions and broke me
Jon Adams
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Nailed it.
Koeur
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 4.7/5

Review: Wow, what awesome cover art.

The world building is what sets this novel apart from others in the genre. It is built around the characters in order to influence the direction of the story line. Very clever writing, as it also develops the characters in various ways as to be mesmerizing at times. This novel does not lack in creativity or poignancy. The distressed often have personal insights that are not only deeply appropriate for the scene but might churn the thoughts of the
Rob Hayes
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An adrenaline-fueled ending to a fantastic series. A truly desolately hopeful fantasy.

Crowfall is book 3 of Ed McDonald's debut series, Raven's Mark, and the final(?) journey of Ryhalt Galharrow. And what a journey it has been. Seeing the way Ed has developed the character across the trials and tribulations of these 3 books has been a pleasure, and the narrator Colin Mace should be applauded for bringing Galharrow to life in such a fantastic way.

Book 3 skips ahead a bit of time and we start with
J.L. Scritchfield
Crowfall delivers.

McDonald manages to work a substantial amount of worldbuilding into his third book so that a number of the history questions I had were answered. Not all of them. This world feels ancient, and she hides her secrets well. I hope to learn more about her someday.

McDonald's writing (in Ryhalt's voice) continues strong throughout, and the philosophical journey the reader takes with Ryhalt over the series is impressive. From cranky man with a deathwish to cranky man with
Chris
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
*copy from the publisher in exchange for a review*

Crowfall is the conclusion to Ed McDonald’s “Raven’s Mark” series. I’ve been a big fan of the series since the get-go. There’s something about the hard-bitten cynicism of (most of) the characters, the haut-feudal world run by gangs of squabbling, unknowable gods, and the twisted, broken border between them which makes for a compelling read. That compulsion is, of course, helped along by the well observed and convincing characterisation.

At the
Cameron Johnston
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Grimdark with heart - an explosive, raw and very fitting conclusion to the Raven's Mark trilogy.

Years have passed since the end of book 2 and Galharrow has been changed in horrific ways from his time in the Misery. He has a plan, the Nameless have plans within plans, and The Deep Kings have their own plans set against all mankind in this adrenaline-fuelled end to the series.

The world is being torn apart, and dark magic and dreadful creatures abound - which is why it's such a joy to explore the
Minx
Crowfall is the third book in the Raven’s Mark series and it was a truly visceral read filled with raw emotion, schemes, and double-crosses. This story picks up six years after the end of Ravencry and much has changed over the years since Ryhalt Galharrow chose to live in isolation in the wastelands of the Misery. Spending time there was not safe or healthy and to willingly subject oneself to such a sentence was pure insanity. Which was exactly what was taking place with Ryhalt. The writing ...more
Jeremy Jackson
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fulfilling conclusion to a bleak, beautiful, spectacularly written trilogy. Macdonald's world is pitch-black, horrifically eerie, but not without hope; it's immensely enjoyable besides. Well worth your time.
FanFiAddict
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rating: +

Synopsis

‘Dark, twisty and excellent . . . Grimdark with heart’ Mark Lawrence

Tormenting red rains sweep the land, new monstrosities feed on fear in the darkness, and the power of the Nameless, the gods who protect the Republic, lies broken. The Blackwing captains who serve them are
C.W. Snyder
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've loved this series since book 1, and there's a reason for that. It's brilliant. It's mutable. It's just so well put-together that it's almost impossible to dislike it. Each book is a solid collection of theme and story that changes just enough to keep the series fresh with each entry without alienating readers.

While book 1 is a gritty fantasy noir, and book 2 a race against time with the backdrop of a looming war, book 3 is the slow burn of an impending apocalypse. Or in the case of the
M.L. Spencer
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I found The Raven’s Mark trilogy by Ed McDonald to be an enthralling and expertly rendered tale, possibly the high watermark in grimdark fantasy fiction. McDonald is a vastly gifted author; as I was reading, I almost wore out the highlighter function on my Kindle. There were so many compelling quotes that could be lifted from the text. I could imagine them posterized and framed, plastered to the walls of homes, workplaces, pubs; some perhaps even more suited to bathrooms. The world building is ...more
Dawn
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ryhalt Galharrow appears to have fallen as low as he can get. The misery is all around him and inside of him. He is changing into something different. He may be growing stronger but it all comes with a price. The black rain is falling causing more chaos and death and Ryalt’s fellow Blackwing captains are gone one by one. Does the end result justify the means. Will anyone be left to help fight what is left of this dark and dismal world.
Gritty writing with dark undertones.Desolate places,
Neil
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very good... ...more
Jeremy Szal
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A superb ending to a superb series. Well done, Ed.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Priest of Lies (War for the Rose Throne, #2)
  • God of Broken Things
  • A Little Hatred (The Age of Madness, #1)
  • Bright Steel (Masters & Mages, #3)
  • The True Bastards (The Lot Lands, #2)
  • Priest of Bones (War for the Rose Throne, #1)
  • The Black Hawks (Articles of Faith, #1)
  • The House of Sacrifice (Empires of Dust #3)
  • The Wolf's Call (Raven's Blade #1)
  • Smoke and Stone
  • Bloodchild
  • The Gutter Prayer (The Black Iron Legacy, #1)
  • Dark Forge (Masters & Mages, #2)
  • The Bone Ships (The Tide Child, #1)
  • Sin Eater (Iconoclasts, #2)
  • Blood of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #3)
  • Howling Dark (Sun Eater, #2)
  • We Are the Dead
Ed McDonald is a UK born fantasy writer. He writes dark, fast paced, action fantasy with a focus on well developed characters.

Ed is a medieval historian and swordsman by training. He currently lives in London, UK.

Raven's Mark (3 books)
  • Blackwing (Raven's Mark, #1)
  • Ravencry (Raven's Mark #2)
“Time will numb you to anything. There is nothing that a determined human being cannot come to cope with in time.” 0 likes
“Survive the world long enough and inevitably you will be replaced, cast down and despised.” 0 likes