Start by marking “Amidst This Fading Light” as Want to Read:
Amidst This Fading Light

Amidst This Fading Light

Dominated by a few old, founding families, Germantown was mired in tradition and hearsay. All that changed once the Picketts arrived. No one knew what to make of them at first, and no one could have predicted the unbelievable tragedy this family would bring to the small town. Set against the backdrop of the rural North Carolinian piedmont during the Great Depression, Amids ...more
Published 2018 by SFK Press

To ask other readers questions about Amidst This Fading Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amidst This Fading Light

Paul Falk
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The author guided me on a well-written journey back in time to her hometown hidden away in the roots of the Southeastern part of the United States. The main protagonist of this entrancing novel was well-drawn. The scenes never strayed far from the storyline which made for fluid reading.

A disaster of epic proportion was in the making that would shake this town to its very core. It would grab the attention of the newspaper headlines across the country and regretfully, would be sorrowfully remember
Whispering Stories
Aug 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Book Reviewed by Marcia on www.whisperingstories.com

The book is based in Germantown, North Carolina, USA. It tells the story of an old family of the town and how things changed when a new family arrived. It is a fictional account of a true story that happened in 1929, a massacre, though the story begins some years before. It weaves a tale of how life can change for numerous people via the actions of one person.

I really did like the book. I was interested to find out how the characters live’s evo
Susan
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
This novel is based on true events that occurred in Germantown, North Carolina in 1919. When the Pickett family arrive in this small town to become tobacco tenant farmers they have no idea of the hardships that await them. A shocking and horrifying event transpires that will either tear this town apart or bring them together. Rebecca Davis did a wonderful job of bringing this family to life for me and I look forward this her next work.

Thank you Netgalley SFK and Rebecca Davis for a copy in excha
Lolly K Dandeneau
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
via my blog: https://bookstalkerblog.wordpress.com/
'Time could do many things; soften the blow of misaligned teeth, erase a dead girl’s name and fade memories that ought to be forgotten.'

One family moves into Germantown, the Picketts, treated with suspicion, disrupting the ways of the founding families. Following in the footsteps of his older brother Marlowe, Reggie buys the old weathered Himmel homeplace, but one Mrs. Honora Brow says to her audience, “Well, I’ll be. Didn’t you feel that chill?
Inebriati Literati
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Heidi's review --

Amidst This Fading Light is built around the true story of a family massacre that took place in the author’s hometown of Germantown, North Carolina in 1929. I imagine this crime story haunted the author during her time in Germantown, and the book is similarly haunted by how inescapable the influences of family, place and time are on an individual life.

With a story this shocking, it’s difficult to know where to begin, and Davis chooses to invest the first six chapters in letting
Sam Shaw
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Written by Salem College’s own Creative Writing Professor Rebecca Davis, Amidst This Fading Light is a debut novel written in eleven short stories. Set in Germantown, a small Southern town dominated by several old, founding families where everybody knows everything, this story asks the reader: Where can light come in amidst the shadows of suffering and sad memories? An unpredictable tragedy, mired in the Southern Gothic tradition and dripping with hearsay, is at the center of this beautifully-co ...more
Jana Tenbrook (Reviews from the Stacks)
Amidst This Fading Light is a wonderfully written work about a horrible tragedy. Truly, this is one book that I wish I could take back to one of my college classes to analyze alongside my peers and under the guidance of a professor. There are so many themes and big questions brought up through the stories inside, including personal identity, grief, mental health and psychological questions, the role of family, and more.

Described as "a novel in stories," Amidst This Fading Light tells the story o
Molly Haile
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amidst This Fading Light is a gripping and beautiful novel. If you like historical fiction, nuanced and gorgeous writing that isn't overdone, novels with a powerful sense of mystery, novels told in interconnected stories, or if you're just looking for a great read (the kind that makes you tell yourself "I'll stop after just one more chapter"), here you go! Amidst This Fading Light is already one of my favorite novels, and, I hope, the first of many Rebecca Davis will write!
Jessica Roth
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amidst this Fading Light, so much tragedy and so much love. It rips at your heart, reading what these families have gone through.The small town always seems to overcome the losses. It thrilled me to see how it all worked out in the end. I definitely recommend this novel. I can't wait to see what Rebecca Davis writes next!
Heidi Nibbelink
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Reposting Inebriati Literati's review here because, spoiler alert, I'm half of Inebriati Literati and I wrote it. If audio is your thing, you can listen to our podcast review of the novel here: https://bit.ly/2CHcAAH.

REVIEW BY INEBRIATI LITERATI
Cristie Underwood
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
This book is based on the true story of a family massacre that occurred in Germantown, North Carolina, the author's hometown, in 1929. It was inspiring to see this book end on a positive versus letting negativity be the last thing on the reader's mind.
Kara