Start by marking “West Coast Avengers, Vol. 1: Best Coast” as Want to Read:
West Coast Avengers, Vol. 1: Best Coast

West Coast Avengers, Vol. 1: Best Coast

(West Coast Avengers (2018) (Collected Editions) #1)

The Avengers go West once again - but these ain't your daddy's Whackos! A bold new era begins for the mightiest heroes to ever live on the Pacifi c Coast. That means Hawkeye (your favorite one, Kate Bishop)! Hawkeye (the other one, Clint Barton)! America Chavez! Kid Omega! Gwenpool! And a guy named Fuse! Wait, what? That's right, these are the new West Coast Avengers. And ...more
Published March 5th 2019 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about West Coast Avengers, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about West Coast Avengers, Vol. 1

Start your review of West Coast Avengers, Vol. 1: Best Coast
Jeff
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comix

I am so sick of Marvel’s tween-aged approach to a number of their books - throw a bunch of yout-ful heroes together; let the humor simmer, but never percolate; write stories that barely engages an older, grizzled comic book reader (I know a few. Heh.) and you have this fresh-faced lump of a book.

So why did you read it, Jeff?

Well, Random Goodreader, I’ve always liked the West Coast Avengers, the kooky mix of heroes, the annual soft ball game that never gets played cuz of villainous goings on…

W
Scott
Aug 27, 2019 rated it liked it

"I need help! Send all the help! Avengers Assemble or whatever! WHERE IS EVERYBODY?! DOES NOBODY CARE IF THE ENTIRE WEST COAST IS EATEN BY GIANT LAND SHARKS?! HELP ME!!!" -- Kate 'Hawkeye' Bishop, with the genesis for the new West Coast Avengers

Sublime ridiculousness wrapped up in a sunny So-Cal package. In an opening scene straight out of a classic Saturday Night Live sketch - "Candygram," anyone? - from the 70's, our plucky Kate Bishop gathers a few super-heroic friends to battle a su
Paul E. Morph
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
As my all-time personal hero would say, that was fun on a bun, baby! >flaming belch< ...more
Wing Kee
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5! Really solid first arc!

World: The art is fantastic, the splash pages and the panels are fun and really sets the tone for the book and compliments Thompson's writing very well. I also love how expressive and full of character the characters are making this book just fun to look at. The world building is pretty solid and quirky. I really liked Thompson's Hawkeye series and was fairly annoyed when it was cancelled but now that we have this new book and this group of heroes I am more okay with
Chad
Dec 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Started off very strong with lots of action and irreverence having land sharks attack L.A. Kate Bishop patches together a team when she realizes the West Coast is unprotected. B.R.O.D.O.K. should be funny but he just sucks the air out of the room when he shows up. I have no problems with a fun, silly Avengers title, but this often never reaches fun. The quips need work, characters like Fuse have all the personality of a cardboard box.

Stefano Caselli's art is great. He seems to be steering more
Lenny
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
West Coast Avengers’ first volume is a whole lot of fun. After moving out west to Los Angeles, Kate Bishop realizes that an entire coast is pretty much defenseless, so she less assembles, more cobbles together a superhero team that, like her, is a mess that somehow makes it through.

Kelly Thompson and her team accomplish several things at once in this debut team book. The Hawkeyes stay together, always a good thing for the Marvel Universe (and she has their witty banter down). And even though it'
Paz R.M.
The West Coast needs a team and Kate Bishop steps up founding her own little group of young superheroes!

This is the problem when I read stuff on digital, I always forget how Marvel loves to add one or two issues of 'filler'. In this case, the one issue where Kate meets Hawkeye (which is one that's collected in many other books), and Gwenpool #1. So, what it looked like a full story was actually a four issue mini arc that was just not enough.
Plus, it was dumb. Or silly, or trying to be so quirky,
Tiago
Feb 25, 2019 rated it did not like it
Silly Avengers, Vol. 1: What if... Marvel was an adultswim show?
Dakota Morgan
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Kate Bishop (Hawkeye) tries to reboot the West Coast Avengers after a horde of landsharks(?!) rampages through Los Angeles. Fortunately, Clint Barton (also Hawkeye) tags along. The other heroes she recruits...not so exciting. And the framing device of a reality show is used too sparingly or too much, I can't decide which. This first series is only four issues and it feels about three issues too long. You will hate BRODOK immediately and there's a lot of him.

The pair of back-up issues in this vol
Shannon Appelcline
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-marvel
Thompson expands on her strong work with Hawkeye by producing a new West Coast Avengers comic with Hawkeye at the center. The rest of the cast is also quite delightful, with America Chavez, Quentin Quire, and Gwenpoole all deserving the attention. In fact, the best part of the comic is these characters and their interactions.

As for the plot: it's OK. Too much fighting big, mindless monsters.

(And dammit, Marvel, stop padding out your collections with reprints that we don't want: this one has two
Renata
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
(read as single issues)

This is a lot of fun. I LOVE the reality show premise (I'm predictable trash) and I love Hawkeye(s). And I love America (the character) (the country is OK, needs some work tbh). I love Kelly Thompson's flair for pop culture references. This is a great antidote for some of the Very Serious Superhero comics out there.
RG
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
I thought I'd give a comedy action style comic again. What I've realised is that its just not for me. I'm not sure if its Thompsons style, the characters or thw actual story. I guess this style isnt for me. It will 100% be up certain readers alleys, just not a fit for me.
ellis
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
lived up to ALL my hype. this series has the perfect author, artists, and team up (QUENTIN! BOYOOO). modok is a fun villain, and i am so very excited for the rest of this series.
Mike
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Super fucking fun. So happy for more excuses to read Kate and her friends and Gwenpool and the multi-Hawkeye repartee and holy shit Quentin Quire?
Amanja
Aug 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
I seem to have a knack for falling for Avengers runs that are way underappreciated. I first found Kate Bishop in Young Avengers. A book that really doesn't get the credit it deserves. I blame the name, sounds like it's for babies when they actually mean 18-22 year olds.

I adore Kate Bishop. I also loved her solo run, that also got ended too soon. Kate Bishop Hawkeye is where I really solidified by adoration of author Kelly Thompson. She has a real talent for dialogue and for making each characte
Chris Lemmerman
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Somehow, kind of without meaning to, Kate Bishop has started her own Avengers team. With her bestie America Chavez, her boyfriend Fuse, her mentor Clint Barton, and newcomers Quentin Quire and Gwenpool, the West Coast Avengers are back! But a reality show crew, a giant Tigra, and the arrival of BRODOK threaten their new team almost as soon as it begins - Kate's gunna need more frozen peas. So many frozen peas.

West Coast Avengers is basically Kelly Thompson continuing her fantastic Hawkeye run an
Jaime
content warnings: violence, medical experimentation, loss of a loved one
representation: main interracial relationship, main deaf character, main lesbian latina character, main black character, side sapphic black character, side f/f interracial relationship

Yeah, I'm an idiot and didn't realise that this volume has five issues and not six, so I didn't even realise that it had ended. Moving on: this is great. Or, if you love the characters it's great.

The plot is very whatever, to the point where I
Stewart Tame
Jan 16, 2020 rated it liked it
This was a nice balance between superhero action and funny. The West Coast gets a brand new super team headed by Kate “Hawkeye” Bishop, with the original Clint “Hawkeye” Barton acting as unofficial supervisor and tie-in to the original Avengers--and the original West Coast Avengers as well. The humor is definitely aimed at comics fans, what with Gwenpool being a member of the team and all. I found it to be an enjoyable romp, and am looking forward to the next volume.

One thing does puzzle me thou
TJ
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
I'm so glad this continue's the story of Kate Bishop in LA! Her solo title deserved a longer life, but this is a welcome second best solution! And I love team books, and I happen to be a fan of every character added to this team, so this was a nice turnout for me! This could have easily just been a new Young Avengers title (which I'm still waiting for...), but I guess it wasn't because this is mainly Kate's story still? While this is fun and the art is great, and I enjoy Gwenpool and Quentin, I ...more
Nicole Westen
3.5 Still kind of wavering between the two. It's hilarious that big Hawkeye is the only adult there... overseeing a bunch of super-powered angsty teens.
Also Fuse has absolutely the best 'I will cut you' face I have ever seen in comics. Better than Wolverine.
Anas
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This. Is. The. Best.
Peter Parker in Texas
I picked this up specifically because of the lineup.
We have Hawkeye(Kate) and Hawkeye(Clint) and Kid Omega, America Chavez, Gwenpool and a new Hero called Fuse!
A very Queer friendly team <3

If your a fan of young avengers or any of the characters mentioned you will prolly like this series.
We start of with a bang Santa Monica is being attacked by landsharks and Hawkeye(Kate) has to scramble together the peeps to save LA.
We also have a fight with Tigra, one of the OG WCA, but she’s giant sized and
David Gallaher
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
While this isn't the cast I would have chosen to lead a relaunch (No USAgent? No Living Lightning?), Kelly Thompson and Stefano Caselli tell a fun story with reverence to the past, an eye to the future, and plenty of humor. These are the Wackos you remember... but they are memorable just the same!
Deborah
Um, I loved this?! This was just such a fun, action-packed read, and the characters are absolutely fantastic! I really enjoy the silliness (like land-sharks, giant monster women, etc.) paired with the more serious aspects of building up the new West Coast Avengers team. Kate Bishop is amazing and I'm super eager to read more of her adventures. SO GOOD!
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Look let’s be real I’m super biased here. I love Kate Bishop and Clint Barton to the ends of the earth, and America Chavez is amazing.

But truly I enjoyed this. The sass was glorious, the art was totally my style. Kelly Thompson is just great, I’ll read pretty much any run she writes.

But again give me Clint & Kate anyhow anyway and I will be there.
Christy
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Every issue had be like, THIS IS THE GREATEST. I am an absolute Kate Bishop fanatic and will read anything with her in it!
Iris Nevers
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
(Read in single issues)
This team is everything I live for.
Liz (Quirky Cat)
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The West Coast Avengers is a newly formed team, using an older name from the world of Marvel. The team itself is…unexpected, but actually ends up being a lot of fun. The team consists of Kate Bishop (AKA Hawkeye, also the team leader), Clint Barton (AKA Hawkeye), Gwenpool, America Chavez, Quentin Quire (AKA Kid Omega), and Johnny Watts (AKA Fuse). Not exactly the team you’d expect, right? Their different abilities, personalities, and quirks make for a highly entertaining team-up.
The West Coas
Josh
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Thompson's stories are always so much fun to read and this is no exception. Kate Bishop is re-assembling a west coast superhero team. The only problem, the pickings are slim at best (not to mention the ones she turns down). With dysfunction, lots of banter, and a wild threat to Bishop's new home, these misfits just might be what the west coast needs.

Bishop and Barton are one of my favorite super hero pairs, and this comic continues that tradition--spinning directly out of Thompson's Hawkeye run.
Matt
Oct 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Collects West Coast Avengers (2018) issues #1-4, The Unbelievable Gwenpool issue #1, and Young Avengers Presents issue #6

For disclosure, I'm a big fan of Gwenpool, so I checked out this title because she is on the team. The story itself was just fine, but mainly I wanted to keep up with what Gwenpool is doing in the Marvel Universe. She isn't as interesting of a character here, and doesn't display much of the powers that made her ongoing series great. In some ways, she feels like a different cha
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Valkyrie: Jane Foster, Vol. 1: The Sacred And The Profane
  • Thor, Vol. 3: War's End
  • Asgardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 1: The Infinity Armada
  • Doctor Strange by Mark Waid, Vol. 1: Across The Universe
KELLY THOMPSON has a degree in Sequential Art from The Savannah College of Art & Design. Her love of comics and superheroes have compelled her since she first discovered them as a teenager. Currently living in Portland, Oregon with her boyfriend and the two brilliant cats that run their lives, you can find Kelly all over the Internet where she is generally well liked, except where she's detested.

K

West Coast Avengers (2018) (Collected Editions) (3 books)
  • West Coast Avengers, Vol. 2: City of Evils