Start by marking “Immortal Hulk, Vol. 2: The Green Door” as Want to Read:
Immortal Hulk, Vol. 2: The Green Door

Immortal Hulk, Vol. 2: The Green Door

(Immortal Hulk #2)

Bruce Banner is alive and on the loose - and now the entire world knows it. Soon the Hulk finds himself hunted once again - this time by the government, Alpha Flight, the mysterious Shadow Base - and the Avengers! Someone's going to find him first...but which option is least bad? It might not matter, because Bruce has bigger problems. Something terrible has infected him. S ...more
Published February 26th 2019 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Immortal Hulk, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Immortal Hulk, Vol. 2

Dan Schwent
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, 2019-comics
The Immortal Hulk: The Green Door collected Immortal Hulk 6-10.

Immortal Hulk: The Green Door picks up where the last volume left off. Bruce Banner is on the run, just like the good old days, both from his enemies and from the evil that lurks within, The Immortal Hulk! In this volume, old jade jaws goes up against Gamma Flight, the Avengers, and a beefed up Absorbing Man. That undersells it, though.

The Immortal Hulk is more of a horror comic than it is a super hero comic. What's more horrifying t
Sam Quixote
Apr 06, 2019 rated it did not like it
Crikey, what a rubbish comic full of overused Hulk tropes! Hulk fights the Avengers for the umpteenth time before being kidnapped and sperimented on by the gov’mint for the umpteenth time before finishing with a punch-up with a dull villain - guess who wins? It’s so predictable and uninspired.

I got nothing out of Immortal Hulk, Volume 2: The Green Door. It’s one of the most generic, tedious and unimaginative Hulk stories I’ve ever read and couldn’t recommend something this bland and dreary to a
Artemy
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Al Ewing keeps bringing his A-game with this title, and if anything the second volume of The Immortal Hulk is even better than the first one. Hulk is the flat-out villain here, and it's entirely engrossing and very disturbing thanks to Joe Bennett and a couple of guest artists who don't shy away from gore and body horror — honestly, I can't believe a book this visually and thematically messed up is being published by Marvel in 2018, but I'm so glad that it is. Ewing takes numerous bold choices i ...more
Malum
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"You are in hell, little man. And I am the devil!"
-Batman Begins

Even better than volume 1. This "Devil Hulk" run is insane and I am loving it. If you have always wanted to see Hulk use someone's spinal cord and skull as a ball and chain, then this is the book for you.
James DeSantis
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hulk is pumped up on hate fuel cause this dude is going head to head with the entire Avengers team.

So what is happening with the good old green giant? Well after the events of the last book we have the hulk walking around the world doing what he does best. Fucking shit up. However, the Avengers try to stop the hulk. In doing so we have some epic showdowns, including Thor getting manhandled and She-hulk getting her butt whooped. Then the 2nd half involves the Kreel trying to take down Hulk and w
Simon
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
For 10 issues now, I've been consistently blown away by how amazing this series is. Mixing body horror, nightmare-fuel-art, and a surreal mystery, Ewing turns the Hulk from a puppet in a boring action book into an unstoppable machine of destruction and his enemies into demonic entities. It's really one of the most freakish comic books out there, on par with Junji Ito's horror.
Adam Fisher
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Consider my jaw dropped.... I didn't Marvel had it in them to take scenes you'd normally see when Carnage is around, and put it in the main Hulk title. So gory and good!
Scared to let Hulk out (because of possible possession by an entity who seems to be Brian Banner, his father), Bruce (with the help of Hulk subconsciously) decides to go back to where it all started: "Home", or the site of where the Gamma bomb hit him, and the possible location of "the green door". He is being watched though, by
Chris Lemmerman
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First, it's the Hulk versus the Avengers! And that's the least exciting thing in this entire volume. At the mercy of a shadowy organization, the Immortal Hulk meets his maker...or does he? Plus, what is the Green Door? And, more importantly, what's behind it?

God damn this book is good. Each issue is told in its own way, in its own style, and yet the synergy between it all makes for such a perfect interpretation of the relationship between Banner and the Hulk, and the Hulk and the rest of the wor
Shannon Appelcline
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, comics-marvel
Al Ewing's Immortal Hulk continues to be an evocative and innovative take on the character. In this volume, Ewing really achieves a full integration with his new horror genre, effortlessly intermingling it with the rest of the story line, which includes fights with the Avengers and Gamma Flight. The comic drags from time to time, particularly with the Absorbing Man's backstory, but this continues to be a great new book that nonetheless does a great job of linking to the larger Marvel universe.
Kris Ritchie
This has by far some of the more gruesome imagery Marvel lets grace it's pages currently. If you have read the trades, you know of course I am talking about when (view spoiler) Also, this horror-fueled take on the Hulk may be one of my favorite Marvel comics since Jason Aaron started writing Thor.
Alex Sarll
After too many reboots and retools and whatnot, I'm now only buying two Marvel Universe books: The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, which is joyful and upbeat and suitable for all ages – and The Immortal Hulk, which is absolutely none of those things. Well, except maybe 'joyful', because I alarmed a train carriage this morning when I burst out laughing at the face of the scientist as he realised why the Hulk had suffered himself to be dissected and kept, still living (at least by night) in a shelf full ...more
Sesana
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, superhumans
Ewing is really leaning into the horrific elements of Hulk, and he's turning out a deeply weird and unsettling book. It's fantastic and so different from virtually every other superhero book out there that it's barely a superhero book at this point.
Jason
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Al Ewing continues to explore the Hulk as a horror monster in very interesting ways, taking Banner and Hulk to some very dark places along the way. There is some imagery in this book that is very disturbing and will haunt me for a while (and I couldn't ask for anything more), so my hat's off to Joe Bennett for his amazingly detailed artwork. As in the previous volume, the middle chapter was the one that I found most interesting, because it put Hulk in a situation I don't believe he's ever found ...more
Scott Lee
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ewing in attempting to go all the way back to what he sees as the basics of Hulk and play with the "original toys" so to speak, is inevitably writing as ambitious and mythos-building a Hulk story as I've ever seen. He in essence recreates the origin of our big green-skinned hero not by changing the basic facts we know, but by playing on the fact that Marvel has made Hulk immortal, and using that as a key to expand the on the origin. The titular Green Door--which first appears in volume 1, althou ...more
Andrew Sorrentino
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
One chapter is a big fight scene against the Avengers. It must be that writers think the audience wants to see Hulk in a big fight smashing. Or perhaps it helps establish Hulk as the strongest one there is.
There's a chapter with some crazy science. And maybe Hulk displaying a new power?
There's a chapter where Hulk's story parallels the Absorbing Man. It's a visually striking chapter with each character's story on facing pages. Different artists depict each character. Not just to differentiate th
Jonabel
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don't usually read Hulk comics, but this was so much fun to read! The artwork is so amazingly grotesque at times that it takes your breath away, and the changes in art style for different POVs is also an additional bonus. Plotwise, the plot keeps building up to something bigger with each issue that I no longer know what to expect in the next arc- but that's a good thing! The writing still somehow manages to be top tier despite how a lot of ridiculous (and surprising!) stuff happens in most of ...more
Blindzider
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Ewing is truly making a name for himself with this book! Fear, horror, suspense. All are invoked at one point or another. The reader and sometimes the characters becomes scared when they realize just how strong and out of (their) control the Hulk has become. The there is shock and disgust at what the Hulk does to one man. Easily the best part of this volume. You will know what it is when it happens.

The only bad thing is the artist changes every issues and the generally were not similar in style
Ben
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This volume trades some of the horror of loneliness aspect of the the first that I really liked in favour of more traditional ensemble punch ups but it does also lean further into the grotesque body horror of Cronenberg/Carpenter and having a main Marvel title that is so horror focused is really refreshing. Definitely worth continuing.
Roy
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Easily one of the strongest Marvel runs atm. I love all action scenes, love the hulks character build. My only issue with the run so far especially this volume are the secondary characters. They just seem flat and irrelevant some of the time. Otherwise a great series so far.
Tom
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Hulk can't die, but people keep trying to put him down.

As it is, there is a secret military project looking to bring the Hulk in, but for different reasons than has been seen in the past, and the real problem for the Hulk is something got into his head, something that looks like Bruce Banner's dead father. And while Banner actually admits that the Hulk is somehow the smarter one, and the Hulk admits he does what he does to protect Banner, well, Al Ewing is doing interesting things here that
Ed
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The second volume of Immortal Hulk is just as strong as the first. There's a fantastic battle with the Avengers that has a brutal and shocking ending. Issue 8 has some genuinely nasty body horror with Hulk. It was some literally afraid to turn the page kinda shit. The dual art introduced in issue 8 to show Crusher Creel's perspective works at first, but fails when it switches to a big battle. Still, this introduces a genuinely horrifying gamma-drained Hulk that is just deeply hideous. Also, what ...more
Oedipuss Wrecks
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This current run could still go wrong (it seems to be leading to some mystical Hulk Force idea). There are typical comics tropes moments in this book (superhero on superhero battles, gratuitous guest appearances), but the few great moments genuinely surprise. There are some genuinely frightening scenes in this book. It's hard for horror to work in the comics medium. At its best moments, this book is terrifically horrific.
B
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: borrowed
Poor Absorbing Man. We keep seeing this where a secondary character gets written to be super-fun . . . like Batroc in Gwenpool or Kraven in Squirrel Girl. And it's just not sustainable No one really needs this fun secondary character. They need a punching bag.

Anyway, this is some cool stuff . . . if it pays off. I think this series could have been a winner without an attempt to create an overaching theme. Just as a series of monster one-offs. But we'll see !
Beelzefuzz
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have no idea where this is going, but this book was a brutally fun ride on the way. The fights were so off the wall crazy. I do not care about Alpha Flight or Langowski (I don't even care to check that spelling), so this drags for me when they show up, but if the last line is to be believed, then I do see why they are dragging Puck through this story. I am very curious to see what that last line meant, be it literal or some new Hulk mythos building in the works.
Nicole Brown
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
A great read with excellent art that pops off of the page about the government going after the Hulk and the possibility of the green door being opened.

For I do not exist: There exist but the thousands of mirrors that reflect me.
-Vladimir Nabokov (The Eye)

We are each our own devil, and we make this world our Hell.
-Oscar Wilde (“The Duchess of Padua”)

Akkisuitok
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-comics
Sometimes I'm just like "yep, give me some crazy horror story", and this story absolutely delivers on that front. What a read. They should let Al Ewing write all the things ever, he's ridiculously good with these solo character series, and clearly having a lot of fun with this horror version of the Hulk.
Pyramids Ubiquitous
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
When I read comics I do not expect anything approaching academic stimulation or literary writing, but I do expect it to be fun. This particular Hulk run has been consistently entertaining and cool. Again, I can do without the daddy issues (I'm not sure why this has to be in every Marvel comic?). A distilled form of these concepts has me fantasizing about a great body horror Marvel movie.
Oleksandr Tarasov
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
God or maybe Devil almighty! I never thought I would care for big green guy as much as I do now. The Immortal Hulk by Al Ewing just exists on another level of storytelling. Each new issue is blowing my mind away and I can't wait to see what comes next.
Lukas Holmes
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I could not be enjoying this more. We've seen Hulk set in 'horrific stories' but I don't know if we've ever seen him just done in a straight up horror way. To have this be the way they bring him back to the universe is so unique and so fun.
Adam Landrum
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant.

Simply the best comic I’ve read in years. Al Ewing et al are have added a simple yet brilliant twist to one of marvels most iconic characters. Can’t wait for the next book to come out.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

Immortal Hulk (4 books)
  • Immortal Hulk, Vol. 1: Or is he Both?
  • Immortal Hulk, Vol. 3: Hulk's Inferno