Start by marking “Captain America by Ta-Nehisi Coates, Vol. 1: Winter in America” as Want to Read:
Captain America by Ta-Nehisi Coates, Vol. 1: Winter in America

Captain America by Ta-Nehisi Coates, Vol. 1: Winter in America

(Captain America (2018) #1)

It's winter in America! For over 70 years, Captain America has stood in stalwart defense of our country and its people. But in the aftermath of Hydra's takeover of the nation, Cap is a figure of controversy, carrying a tarnished shield...and a new enemy is rising! Who are they? And how do they intend to co-opt and corrupt the symbol that is Captain America? Distrusted by a ...more
Published March 5th 2019 by Marvel (first published February 19th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Captain America by Ta-Nehisi Coates, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Captain America by Ta-Nehisi Coates, Vol. 1

Start your review of Captain America by Ta-Nehisi Coates, Vol. 1: Winter in America
James DeSantis
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is what I'm talking about. Captain America is BACK!

Little history on myself and cap (If you care enough to read this). I loved Captain America as a Superhero ever since I was in High School (I just turned 30...I'm fucking old). I actually own every single arc/trade since 2005 all the way to 2019. There's been ups and downs, but mostly he's stayed pretty solid (Still gotta read Rick's run) but I just felt nobody hit that high point that Brubaker did. He crafted a spy thriller like no other
David Schaafsma
I read this almost exclusively because I like Coates’ non-fiction work on race in America. I did not like what I read of his Black Panther run: Wordy, preachy, dull. He’s a little better here than the early BP volumes, but it’s still a set-up volume for future arcs, so it is mostly expository, with rambling, pretty vague voice-overs/monologues, lots of posed questions, and less action than you want in a comic that hopes to engage the reader from the first page.

The artwork from Yu is what makes
Chad
Jul 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
It's a bit strange to finally deal with Cap's part in Secret Empire after a year of Mark Waid ignoring it, but finally we get it. Cap's back and trying to make amends for his face being the face of the Supreme Hydra Commander. Unfortunately for Steve, no one's happy to see him back. The rest of America just kind of wants to forget Captain America exists. Some even believe he's still part of Hydra. There's ultimately some kind of vague conspiracy going on, having to do with some Russians. Leinil ...more
Scott
Mar 23, 2019 rated it liked it
I think by the conclusion I had an equal number of likes and dislikes with Winter in America.

Coates did a good job tapping into the national zeitgeist and generating a certain amount of dread - like a 70's conspiracy thriller film - with the twisty storyline. The scenes of Cap working alongside Black Panther, the combat scenes with the formidable Taskmaster, and the villain 'reveal' were all good. However, at other times it veered into being a little too sanctimonious and, instead of being sligh
Chelsea 🏳️‍🌈
It took a while but we finally have another truly great Captain America series!

While I appreciate what Waid did, his series wasn't a super cohesive storyline. It was more a collection of small Captain America stories that were great at paying homage to what the character was. However, it didn't do much to show what the character can be. Coates is doing that.

It doesn't escape my attention that it took a black man to understand why some of the "classic" takes on Cap's image can run into issues. I
Artemy
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: marvel, comics
The real, non-nazi-Hydra Cap is back! But did anybody want him back? Not really, apparently. The government and the people don't trust him, Thaddeus Ross is being a dick to him and his gilf girlfriend Sharon Carter is being set up by some shady government conspiracy! Oh, and there are some evil Russians with fake Russian names (always a staple) lurking in the background. Yep, it's a modern day Captain America comic alright!

First of all, kudos to Coates — he really improved his comic-writing skil
Paul E. Morph
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed Ta-Nehisi Coates' first volume of Captain America quite a bit, even if the story did feel a little like it was re-treading old ground in places. When you've been reading comics as long as I have (forty years!) you get a lot of that, though.

Leinil Francis Yu's artwork was stunning throughout; it's the best work I've seen of his to date.
Malum
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I had just got done reading Coates' terrible Black Panther run when I saw he was attached to this book, so my first thought was "uh oh" (he even managed to tie a bit of that book into this one). Luckily, however, Coates has come a long way since he first started writing comics, and both his new Star Wars meets Black Panther book and this book are both pretty good.

Here, Captain America is pretty worn down. The people don't trust him, the government doesn't want anything to do with him, his girlf
Rod Brown
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
As with his Black Panther: A Nation Under Our Feet, Book 1, Coates starts his run on Captain America mostly trying to deal with the big steaming piling of poop left by the previous writer. I have so far not read any of Nick Spencer's run or Secret Empire and based on this book dealing with the aftermath, I'd guess I'm better off for having skipped all that.

Anyhow, there are quite a few characters here I do not recognize, and for those that I do, I have little idea how they got to their present s
Gary
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Coates and Yu bring back Nuke(s)! Frank Miller's classic 80s villain is now a brain-washed army of clones terrorizing the populace for betraying "our boys" in the fight against Hydra. But that's just the tip of the iceberg. This new creative tosses a lot of balls in the air in their first arc, and I can't wait to see where they land.
Chris Lemmerman
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
After the cataclysm of Secret Empire, America doesn't trust Steve Rogers anymore - and he doesn't blame them. But when some of the world's deadliest villains begin to take advantage of this distrust to turn America against itself, Captain America must step up whether he's wanted or not.

This is what should have started right after Secret Empire - instead, we got 12 issues of Mark Waid doing weird alternate universe things. But this. This is what Captain America should be about right now.

Ta-Nehisi
Craig
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think Coates is finally getting the hang of this comics thing. This is easily the best work he's done so far, a nice combination of philosophizing mixed with plenty of action. He doesn't have the characters all standing around, debating some political point. That's not to say there isn't plenty of politics here--this is very obviously a comic of its times, with pretty direct reference to the current state of America. Great follow-up to the Hydra takeover of America, as people aren't sure they ...more
Jesse A
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very interesting Cap book. At the same time overtly political and also moving into more supernatural realms. Very curious to see where this goes.
Eli
Not the best CA I've read, but I'm also very behind on Marvel and CA himself. I liked Coates's perspective and what he has to say subliminally in this (just because I know his social writing background), but I don't know I'll continue this series. It's definitely being written as if it's going to be a long series, though. Also didn't particularly like the artwork.

I would probably recommend this to people that are keeping up with Marvel comics and Captain America.
RG
Mar 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Everything about this was ok but thats probably my biggest issue, that it was just ok. The art was nice, the plot pretty simple with some small twists but they weren't world shattering. It was also a little too preachy for my liking.
Scott
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this. I haven't loved a Cap story in a while, but this one I loved. It had the feel of a Brubaker story but different. The art was also fantastic. I can't wait to read more. I may have to start buying single issues again.
Emmanuel Nevers
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
When Ta-Nehisi Coates took over Captain America after Mark Waid I wasn't sure what to expect (Black Panther showing up for no reason had crossed my mind a few times since he was the writer). I found this to be an extremely interesting, intriguing take on Captain America. Coates blends the political intrigue of his Black Panther run with Captain America's "man out of time" dynamic to deliver a compelling characterization and a well done Steve Rodgers. For me, all the moral facets that make Captai ...more
Christine
So I do not usually read Cap, and I didn't read Secret Empire, so take that into consideration.

Okay, Coates writing is on point. While Sharon Carter as old seems a bit, well sexist (I mean Cap is still young after all that whatever. Carter was not aged naturally), I do not think this was Coates' idea, and to be honest, he actually does a pretty good job with it (until Carter has to be the damsel in distress).

The political commentary was good. But I didn't find myself caring about the characters.
Frédéric
Nov 05, 2019 rated it liked it
A promising plot set in a profoundly depressed post Civil War America. Cap's credibility has plumetted to somber abysses, treason is in the air, unexpected foes reappear... Maybe the Dream is dying after all.

Too bad this somewhat a bit long exposition is overstuffed with pompous monologues/dialogues. I remain doubtful of the mystics of the main female antagonist (Alexa) too but let's give Coates a chance to develop his story first.
Shannon Appelcline
Jul 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-marvel
Coates is a writer that I always want to like more than I actually do, and that continues with his Captain America. Like his Black Panther it's too wordy and too dense. The wordiness is particularly notable because it's demonstrated through little prose poems about patriotism (or some such) in the first few issues. Fortunately, Coates breaks himself of the habit by the end of the book. The density comes through the large cast of characters, both protagonist and antagonist, and does slow down the ...more
Alex Sarll
Ta-Nehisi Coates made his name writing on America and blackness, so impressive as it was for Marvel to hire him, as long as he was only writing a black superhero who was very much not American, really they weren't making full use of his talents. Getting him to write Captain America too? That's a good move. Good timing, too, off the back of the debacle into which Secret Empire eventually descended. Not that you need to be up on all the details of that, thank heavens. The basics, all subtly recapp ...more
Lukas Holmes
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very torn on this one. Coates is just incredible, and you can see it shining through in parts, but other times the story felt muddled and rushed and then other times it dragged and the art didn't seem to be lining up with the narrative. I am assuming some heavy editing had to go in to setup some stories that are coming. I guess my biggest thing was the Russia stuff felt a bit heavy handed, especially the 'the American people would welcome us a liberators' stuff. I'm all for hidden political mess ...more
Garrett
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There is a terror, a chilling effect that happens when you put the words of Nina Simone in the mouth of a racist villain, and Coates knows this, and that is why he does it. In the aftermath ('cause let's face it, there's always an aftermath in comics) of the Secret Empire arc, where a villainous leader with Cap's face gave middle America everything it ever wanted in exchange for its freedom and its soul before being exposed by the real Cap as a fascist and a thug, Coates gives us the Cap story f ...more
Blindzider
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Similarly with his Black Panther run (didn't read all of it though), I see glimpses of intriguing ideas, but it just reads as disjointed and not clear. One point he is making clearly is how America isn't what it used to be, no real argument there. Cap is still struggling with what happened to him in Secret Empire, which I kind of get, but also he's been through this before where America doesn't see him as a savior anymore. In this book he seems to be almost selfish which feels out of character. ...more
Sesana
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, superhumans
Even better than most of Coates has written for Black Panther. He's actually dealing with the realistic fallout from Secret Empire, on a number of levels. There's a great espionage feel to the book, which reminds me of Brubaker's excellent run. The relationship with Sharon is solidly written. And bringing in an obscure X-Men villain like Selene just makes me happy. This is really good stuff.
Alice (Married To Books)
3.5 stars!

I really need to read more graphic novels by BAME authors for real. I was seriously shocked when I went back through my reading history on Goodreads and saw a strong lack of diversity. I'm glad that I found Winter in America on KU to read. That being said, I'm not the biggest follower of Marvel or DC, so that is why the star rating is what it is. I had no problems with the illustrations (even though it was a brutal and action-packed storyline) however, there were quite a few past refer
Shelley
Feb 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Mr. Shelley is a comic book junkie who will happily talk your ear off about Marvel comics and could offer more articulate thoughts on this. I enjoyed it and will continue with the series, but as for an educated analysis of the storyline, look elsewhere.
Nicolo
Sep 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book hits you with the relevance.

Ta-Nehisi Coates' take on Captain America isn't afraid to ask the question of what America is to Steve Rogers. Is America its government? Its people? Its ideals? Because those three are not one and the same right now.

It's a good looking book with great writing, great-looking art by Leinil Yu and Gerry Alangguilan, and striking realistic painted covers by Alex Ross.
Ty
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Whyyyyyy do I keep trying to read superhero shit
Trevor
This is the first Ta-Nehisi Coates I've read. I know most people start with Between the World and Me but this seemed more fun. It's a follow-up to Secret Empire, in which Captain America was replaced by an alternate-universe fascist version of himself that took over the United States. Now Cap has returned to America to find a country divided in which few people trust him or what he stands for.

Many parts of the comic work really well. I like the portrayal of Captain America and the struggle of fi
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Combining editions 8 225 May 07, 2019 03:37AM

• Avengers by Jason Aaron, Vol. 2: World Tour
  • Thor, Vol. 1: God of Thunder Reborn
  • Fantastic Four Visionaries: John Byrne, Vol. 1
  • Daredevil by Chip Zdarsky, Vol. 1: Know Fear
  • Fantastic Four by Dan Slott, Vol. 2: Mr. and Mrs. Grimm
Ta-Nehisi Coates is the author of the #1 New York Times bestseller Between the World and Me, a finalist for the National Book Award. A MacArthur "Genius Grant" fellow, Coates has received the National Magazine Award, the Hillman Prize for Opinion and Analysis Journalism, and the George Polk Award for his Atlantic cover story "The Case for Reparations." He lives in New York with his wife and son.

Captain America (2018) (4 books)
  • Captain America by Ta-Nehisi Coates, Vol. 2: Captain of Nothing