Start by marking “Dragon Post” as Want to Read:
Dragon Post

Dragon Post

A fiery story about friendship and asking for help from award-winning author-illustrator Emma Yarlett.

One day Alex finds a dragon living under his stairs. He isn't sure what to do - but luckily he knows just who to ask for help. Open the envelopes and read the hilarious letters Alex receives from the fire brigade, the butcher and more as he tries to take care of his new fr
Published October 4th 2018 by Walker Books UK

To ask other readers questions about Dragon Post, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragon Post

Start your review of Dragon Post
Whispering Stories
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Book Reviewed by Stacey on www.whisperingstories.com

One day little Alex finds a baby dragon hiding in the cupboard under his stairs. He knows that dragons can breathe fire and is worried the dragon will set fire to the house so he writes to the fire brigade to ask them what he should do. He then wants to know what the dragon should eat so he writes to the butcher, plus he also needs to know if the living conditions are right for the dragon, so he writes to the wildlife centre.

Alex receives handw
Ruth Bonetti
Nov 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What an endearing, brilliant book! Who says we just turn pages of picture books? Why not open letters, from envelopes?
Alex shows initiate in writing letters to the fire brigade (this dragon might set fire to the house), to the butcher (what to feed a dragon? He's not a fan of jam sandwiches). After the dragon ate twenty-three steaks, ten hams and half of my umbrella his than you roars were very loud! He receives a threatening letter from the legal representatives of neighbour Mrs Arabelle Smirk.
Lynn Plourde
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebook
Fun and clever! Reminiscent of the Ahlberg's THE JOLLY POSTMAN. When a dragon shows up in your house, you likely need some advice on how to care for it. Advice letter after advice letter arrives. My 3-year-old grandson enjoyed the text of the story and pulling the letters out of the envelopes, but the letters were kind of long for the preschool set. So this will have to be book that grows with him. ...more
Rachael Willis
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is quite fun to read. There are letters that come in the mail and it makes it all even more fun.

I do wish the letters had jokes that younger children enjoyed. I get some of the jokes but kids do not.
Katy
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Doesn't quite achieve the charm of the Jolly Postman books, but I may also be biased in that regard. A bit of an anticlimactic ending (I think this could have been punched up), but still very fun and very appealing to kids. ...more
Caryn
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: usborne
Review by my 5 year old.

I love it!

My favorite part was the picture of the campfire.

It was super silly just like you promised, a Mom.
Becky B
Alex finds a dragon under the stairs in his house. When he faces hiccups in his budding draco-human relationship, he sends out letters to get advice, and gets letters (which readers can open and read) in return.

I haven't seen such a delightful, epistolary-filled book about dragons since Graeme Base's Discovery of Dragons. This is much shorter than Base's book, but still plenty of fun. Take special note of the names of the people who write Alex letters, they often include a clever (or groan-worth
Love at First Read
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Imagine discovering that you have a dragon living in the cupboard under your stairs? Alex knows just who to contact to get advice on how to care for his new dragon! Alex receives 5 urgent letters back for your kids to open and read, find out what Alex does with his surprise visitor!

My 6 year old daughter and 2 year old son loved this book, especially the when they were able to take the letters out of each envelope! Definitely recommend this adorable read! https://n7971.myubam.com/search?q=dra...
Jocelin
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I love this book! Thought this book was creative and innovative. I thought that the idea of finding a dragon living in your home is a standard creative story but, what I thought was fascinating was the inclusion of letters in said book. I thought the author's addition of letters for assistance on how to take care of a dragon was genius. Little ones reading the story saw the importance of correspondence and the letters where crafted well enough that they could understand them. I thought this was ...more
Mrs Waring
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
One day, Alex finds a dragon inside his house. He really wants the dragon to stay, so he does the obvious thing and seeks advice from various experts. If you love dragons and books with real letters (inside real envelopes) inside books, then this is the book for you! The illustrations are delightful as is Alex's desire to take care of his dragon. This one is going in the Christmas stocking for a very lucky little boy. ...more
Melissa
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
I love stories about dragons, and reading to my nephews. My nephew chose this book for me to read to him.

This is a fun story about a boy who finds a baby dragon under his stairs and wants to take care of him.

With letters to read (my 3 year old nephew had fun pulling them out of the envelopes) and a strong message about pet care and doing the best for the animals in your care, this was a great story that we all enjoyed.
Korie
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
This book is so sweet and I fell in love with the illustrations within. The characters names made me chuckle especially P.Nickety and P.Dantic. It suits a dual audience (adults and children) very well as i'm sure it would be read by both children and adults reading to children. I hope it will be loved by many people! ...more
Bridgette Elston
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Emma Yarlett did not disappoint. Different, fun, engaging, everything I love about a kids book. That and my kids want to read it over and over. Not laugh out loud funny like Nibbles but still a high quality book.
Alex has a little dragon problem growing quickly in his basement. So what does he do? Writes letters and receives responses to solve his issues.

Great fun in general, but also could be used to teach a writing letters class for 2nd grade. Don't miss out on the puns in the letters!
Steve Streeter
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This a simple but beautiful tale of a boy and a dragon interspersed with letters of advice ... beautifully designed with lots of comedy and wordplay within the letters ... quirky ... fun ... and with an overall message that creatures -like people- need their freedom
Lacy
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dragon-tales
A lovely interactive picture book that teaches children about the different types of letter writing. And it includes a dragon. Everything is better with dragons. The only thing I wish was included is to encourage writing your own letters at the end of the book. 🐉🔥📚📝📮
Diane
Aug 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Diane by: William Schultz
Shelves: children
My 5-year-old grandson picked this to read to him at nap time. This is such a cute book with letters stuck into envelopes throughout the book. It reminds me of a book my daughter (his mother) had. It was called The Jolly Postman.
Jessica
Jan 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: age-0-5, childrens
Such a really cute book! It has 5 little letters you can physically remove from the book (make sure you don’t lose them) from when the main character writes to various people asking for help for his dragon. I love Emma Yarlett - she has some great stories!
Melanie
Feb 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The power of asking for help is definitely demonstrated in this book. The illustrations, story, and lovely letters shows it is okay to ask for help and the beauty of not knowing everything! Truly enjoyed this book! Highly recommend
Lucy Jane
May 04, 2021 rated it really liked it
This is a brilliant book that I can see being a great basis for a unit on letter writing. I loved the different people contacted by Alex with questions and there were enough aspects of the story that amused me as an adult as well as things to appeal to children. Great illustrations too!
Shaima
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My kids review: it’s brilliant , interactive and lovely and all good stuff. It’s a fun book and the best part is the real letters.
Donna
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, children-s
This book is adorable. I love the inclusion of letters as part of the story.
K
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very cute children’s story with a boy trying to figure out how to take care of his pet dragon through a series of actual unfolding letter responses. We will read many times ahead.
Leslie
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: interactive, dragon
Griffin and Sabine for preschoolers but with dragons. Opening the letters is so fun.
Vanessa
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute book with little letters to pull out and read.
Lynda
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Enchanting and fun, this book includes small envelopes with correspondence from various interesting characters. My 5yo and I both loved the magic and the themes of friendship and adventure.
Hannah Robinson
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful children’s book! So interactive and my nephews ADORED it.
Christina Reid
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This has become a new, firm favourite! Creative, funny and endlessly entertaining - full review to come, complete with pictures, on the blog!
Larry Hiday
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great illustrations and story line but most impressed with the enclosed letters for kids to read and learn more about non-electronic correspondence/communication.
Manon
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very cute children’s book with letters and cards you can actually open to read, a very cute touch.

• The Prince and the Witch and the Thief and the Bears
  • The Wrong Fairy Tale: Goldilocks and the Three Little Pigs
  • The Smeds and the Smoos
  • Pink Lion
  • Can I Join Your Club?
  • Phonics Readers: Trick or Treat, Parakeet?
  • The Secret of Black Rock
  • Grandad's Island
  • The Big Race
  • Skunks in Trunks
  • Lifesize
  • Little Owl's Night
  • Baking Day at Grandma's
Emma Yarlett graduated with honors in illustration from University College Falmouth in 2011. Her other work includes a nonfiction book by Julia Donaldson and animation for the Waterstones Children’s Book Award.