Start by marking “The Chef” as Want to Read:
The Chef

The Chef

(Caleb Rooney #1)

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  10,124 ratings  ·  1,010 reviews
A New Orleans police detective by day and celebrity food truck chef by night, Caleb Rooney has a new title -- Louisiana's Most Wanted -- in this shocking thriller from the world's #1 bestselling author.

In the Carnival days leading up Mardi Gras, Detective Caleb Rooney comes under investigation for a murder he is accused of committing in the line of duty -- as a Major Crime
Published February 18th 2019 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about The Chef, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Cathy when you click that you've read a book it gives you the option of writing a review, right on your own page. Easy peasy!…morewhen you click that you've read a book it gives you the option of writing a review, right on your own page. Easy peasy!(less)
Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins ReidThe Silent Patient by Alex MichaelidesThe Wicked King by Holly BlackRed, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuistonThe Winter of the Witch by Katherine Arden
Best Books of 2019
1,212 books — 1,939 voters
Force of Nature by Jane HarperThe Lost Man by Jane HarperThe Orphan's Tale by Pam JenoffThe Mountain Story by Lori LansensA Keeper by Graham Norton
Delia's List
100 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

·  10,124 ratings  ·  1,010 reviews

Start your review of The Chef
Amber
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found this one to be a better salespitch for New Orleans and it's food than a thriller. I found that I kept getting pissed off at the main character a loooot. Such as (spoilers)
1 - You're not a cop anymore, you can't do cop stuff. Of course people shouldn't cooperate with you, you have no authority. Your risks and actions are stupid. You deserve to be beat up.
2 - Why are you being given the job of 'saving' New Orleans? Is every other federal agent and cop an idiot...apparently.
3 - SHE'S MARRI
Matt
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Expanding on their successful BookShot in the same series, James Patterson and Max DiLallo return to New Orleans and the delicious antics of Caleb Rooney. When he is not operating his high-end food truck alongside his ex-wife, Caleb Rooney is working hard for the NOPD. At least he was until he was stripped of his badge after an excessive force complaint. Focussing all his time on the food business, Caleb is still forced to keep a lookout for those who may hold a grudge. When he learns that the F ...more
Kay
DNF : 68%
This is a review of audio book version, I didn't like this book, didn't enjoy it at all. I wasted close to 7 hours listening to this. Maybe interactive FB messenger was good, not this.
Val
Feb 22, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This stand-alone should go stand alone... in the bad book corner.

Gerri
Mar 23, 2019 rated it did not like it
Do they have therapy for readers who constantly go back to authors who continue to disappoint them????? If so, I sure need one. Like Liar, Liar I cannot find much to like about this book. The story line was drawn out far too long and first quarter of the book was sooooo slow. That should have told me to put it down and move on to something with some substance. The main character was, in my opinion, an ego-maniac, former super cop turned chef who really got on my nerves with his super-hero attitu ...more
Kathryn
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
I did not enjoy this book. The second star I gave for myself just for finishing it. I think this style of story through Facebook Messenger is an interesting idea, but it was the telling of it that I didn’t like. The writing seemed amateur and there were many plot holes that didn’t get filled. Nothing flowed well and it just didn’t grab me. I also didn’t care for the actor in the videos, not a good choice. One of the problems with this type of telling is it may clash with what my mind has conjure ...more
Adrienne
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved the humour of the main character in this book- Detective Caleb Rooney. Who soon becomes ex-detective Rooney. But he is also a top chef who operates out of a food truck with his ex-wife. His chef life is soon his main life.
Rooney loves his native New Orleans- passionately. When he informed of a highly chanced plan to bomb New Orleans. He knows he must solve it. The FBI have directed the local police to stay out of the way. Which indirectly means Rooney also.
In my opinion, the plot and FB
Suzanne
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Highly entertaining story about a chef/detective as he gets fully caught up in a terrorist scenario in New Orleans. I actually found Caleb and the plot intriguing with a nice flow to the story. Not sure if this is going to be a series or standalone but I would continue it if it does become a series.

My quick and simple: entertaining with a great pace.
Stacey
Jun 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Caleb Rooney works for the New Orleans PD. He was recently stripped of his badge because of a complaint of excessive force. It doesn't matter because once a cop always a cop, right? Right! Now that he has some down time, he spends more time working at his higher end food truck. He operates his food truck with his ex-wife and the love/hate dynamics between these two is worth the time, plus descriptions of good southern food. Trouble comes his way and he kicks into cop mode. A recurring character ...more
Victoria
Mar 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery
While the idea of a cop/detective who is also a food truck chef is intriguing, and is the reason I picked this up, the cool idea wasn't enough to carry this book. It'll be successful, sure it has James Patterson's name on it. But it's just kind of boring and cliche. Tropey. There are some moments when the "foodie" part of this book take center stage for a bit...and then it's kind of fun for a bit but then that goes away. All you're left with is a bland stereotypical cast of characters, a lame ey ...more
Jimmy Aboussie
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
In my opinion: No. 15% action, 85% love stuff with a married woman. Patterson handed this one off because it is not in the style he writes and the book is just not a page turner as his usually are. Disappointed. BUT that is my opinion. Read for yourself and I’ll be curious as to what you think of it.
L.A. Starks
Apr 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Cooper
Shelves: did-not-finish
Really disappointed, not only in the poor writing but also the author's ask that the reader suspend all disbelief. I could only make it to page 110 before I just couldn't take it anymore.

Usually I can rely on a James Patterson book to provide entertainment for my flight or relaxing pool side. But this one, all I could give it was an hour before I was so irritated by the characters and the writing that I had to put it down.

Where to start. First, this reads more like an ode to New Orleans and a ho
Sherry Wessman
Feb 21, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
MY LAST JAMES PATTERSON BOOK!

I don't know why I keep buying these. Every time I say to myself, this one will be better.But they never are. He's lost it. I think he's stopped trying. He'll put his name on anything. Stand alone book that part's right. I can't imagine a series of this ego-maniac. Supercop, Killer Chief, homewrecker.
Corinne
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Feb 2019
Not great writing and a weak plot.
Megan (ReadingRover)
I’m a big Patterson fan but this was just not for me. It was actually pretty ridiculous. The whole story was overdone. Everything that the main character did was unbelievable for a police procedural, mystery novel. It was highly unrealistic. It wasn’t even a bad boy, cop going rogue it was a good cop just doing outrageously illegal, unsafe things and totally getting away with it. Plus, this is all going on in the middle of an FBI terrorist investigation. He’s no Alex Cross either. He’s just a su ...more
Bridget
Apr 29, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: hated-it
The list of reasons this book is rubbish would use up the entire 19931 characters I have left to review it. Suffice to say, it is sexist, full of racial stereotypes, unbelievable - but you know sometimes that doesn't really matter, like in a Lee Child book. I bought it for school, I don't think the young men I work with deserve this rubbish! ...more
Cleo Baker-roberts
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
I barely made it through this one and it left me wondering if I can blindly trust every book with the "James Patterson" name on it! Seriously!

The first-person narrative can be used masterfully; however, in this volume it is merely tiresome. How many times can you, as a Reader, put up with reading every little nuance of "self-talk" in the main character's head? Lemme tell ya, these pages held "I," "I," "I" about a million too many times as the main character, New Orleans Police Detective/Chef Cal
Jaime F.
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bravo! The Chef by James Patterson is a delicious mixture of crime, drama, intriguing plot, and unlikely business partnership with your ex-wife; all taking place in wonderful New Orleans at the peek of Mardi Gras.
Caleb Rooney rules! The moments with his ex are hilarious. And the methods he attained to prevent a terrorist event in the city that he loves are downright intriguing and dramatic. Not to mention his killer recipes and creole dishes got me savoring for a visit to New Orleans.
Laura Rash
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very good! I’m hoping this is a whole new series that continues for quite awhile. It’s fresh and unique for JP.
Sharon :)
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love a good James Patterson novel!!! Highly recommend!
Sharon Huether
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, thriller, action
A great story of a cop trying to clear his name in a murder in the line to duty.

He has a second job, which he really loves is cooking meals in a "food Coach"; New Orleans style.
He's a crowd pleaser with all the delectable sandwiches and dishes he prepares.

Meanwhile he has his eyes on the City, trying to stop the bad guys from a terrorist plot during the Mardi Gras activities.

I loved all the action.
Cila
May 08, 2019 rated it liked it
All this book accomplished was making sure I put New Orleans on my list of places to visit, and making me crave Cajun food. Apart from those two things however, the plot was a little insipid for my taste.
Aparna
Mar 23, 2019 rated it did not like it
Its the worst book I have ever read by James Patterson and I really enjoy his books. It was the crappiest book ever , so slow and I had to really try hard to finish it. Will not be reading a Patterson book for a long long time!
Deb
Mar 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Rick
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own, mystery-crime
What can I say. The story was too drawn out trying to get the reader to know characters that were real cardboard. Would probably have been a better story about 100 pages shorter. The writing was a best ok but just did not bring the story to life and sometimes made me wonder what was really the story.

Usually I find Patterson's work enjoyable if nothing else. This time, while the concept was interesting, reading it was burdensome. The best I can say about this book is 'so what'. I was very disappo
Ricki
Feb 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
Big Patterson fan BUT -- got this from the library and in the midst of the good part of the book- there was a printing error! Page 250 to 267 in this edition was replaced by LIAR, LIAR. Thought I was hallucinating- turns out all the copies received by my library were faulty.

Will now need to wait until new copies come in to find out what occurred in the missing pages!
Donna Lewis
Mar 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Well, my husband liked the book: Mardi Gras, tons of great food, jazz, and a chef who gobbles jalapeño peppers while he cooks! As for me, I couldn’t get past the very thin unbelievable plot, trite phases (“Never a cop around when you need one.” “It’s all up to me.”), and the appalling attempt at romance... But I got what I expected.
Steven Esformes
Feb 24, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Drivel is the only word I can think of to describe the contrived, forced and silly premise of this story.
Hannah
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
loved the exploration of NOLA's food scene, it brought back memories from my trip. ...more
James Patterson B...: New Interactive James Patterson Book 3 36 Nov 04, 2018 02:55AM

• Redemption (Amos Decker, #5)
  • Wild Card (Stone Barrington, #49)
  • The Wedding Guest (Alex Delaware, #34)
  • One Good Deed
  • Skin Game (Teddy Fay, #3)
  • A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine #2)
  • Neon Prey (Lucas Davenport, #29)
  • The Last Second (A Brit in the FBI, #6)
  • Walk the Wire (Amos Decker, #6)
  • The Big Kahuna (Fox and O'Hare #6)
  • Outfox
  • Contraband (Stone Barrington #50)
  • Someone Knows
  • The A List (Ali Reynolds, #14)
  • Run Away
  • Labyrinth (FBI Thriller #23)
  • Never Tell (Detective D.D. Warren #10)
  • The Accomplice (Theodore Boone, #7)
Official US Site
Official UK Site
JIMMY Patterson Books
ReadKiddoRead

James Patterson is the world’s bestselling author and most trusted storyteller. He has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today, with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. He has sold over 380 million books wo