Start by marking “After Such Knowledge: Memory, History, and the Legacy of the Holocaust” as Want to Read:
After Such Knowledge: Memory, History, and the Legacy of the Holocaust

After Such Knowledge: Memory, History, and the Legacy of the Holocaust

As the Holocaust recedes in time, the guardianship of its legacy is being passed on from its survivors and witnesses to the next generation. How should they, in turn, convey its knowledge to others? What are the effects of a traumatic past on its inheritors? And what are the second-generation's responsibilities to its received memories?

In this meditation on the long
Published April 27th 2005 by PublicAffairs (first published January 7th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about After Such Knowledge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After Such Knowledge

Start your review of After Such Knowledge: Memory, History, and the Legacy of the Holocaust
Victoria
Apr 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Victoria by: Mark Roseman
Shelves: history, nazi-germany
Eva Hoffman’s After Such Knowledge: Memory, History, and the Legacy of the Holocaust treads many different areas surrounding the fallout of the Holocaust. At its most basic level, the book is an exploration of the experiences of the second-generation, or the children of Holocaust survivors, of which Hoffman is herself one. Hoffman’s personal experiences are interspersed throughout the work, and her own process of contending with a Holocaust both intimately near and far away comprise the ...more
Colin
Nov 14, 2008 rated it liked it
Not really what I was expecting, although having finished the book, I can't remember what I was expecting. Hoffman explores the evolution of the Shoah from the point of view of the second generation, but along the way explores the effects the event has had on other groups--the children of perpetrators, for example. She's at her best when connecting her own experiences to her more abstract ruminations; a section on the performative nature of grief while visiting Madjanek is among the best ...more
Buddy
Jul 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The topic of the book seemed so interesting but, except for a few sections, I just could not get engaged. It did not feel well organized. Also, the vocabulary was quite difficult. She seems to use words that are rare and obscure. I almost never get stymied by vocabulary, but I felt like I needed a dictionary by my side. Sometimes the language seemed odd as well. Both of these issues may be due to the fact that English is not the author’s native language. The one part that really grabbed me was ...more
Senor
Dec 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: holocaust, history
Thoughtful and poignant account of how a Holocaust survivor's trauma can impact their children in so many ways. The book presents a very complex discussion, but the little devil in the back of my mind wants me to say that the author seems a little long-winded.
Allyson
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was incredibly thought provoking and challenging to read. I stumbled upon it in the library stacks when searching for a different book and am very glad I did.
Both with her language and thought processes I struggled to remain completely engaged and interested but only because her intellectuality exceeded mine. She wrote this in 2004 and I tried to read it in that context, remembering that time so soon after 9/11 when life in America suddenly spun so differently.
It feels a little dated
Holly
May 02, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting exploration about psychological responses to trauma on all sides and through various relationships and generations. Includes comparisons of holocaust survivors with other survivors of mass and singular trauma. Good read by a sensitive, thoughtful author.
Anthony Faber
Oct 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book by a child of Holocaust survivors about what it did to her and other children of survivors. She has an interesting take on things and there are some really touching stories in here.
Daniela
Jody Russell Manning
Nov 26, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Lives of a Cell: Notes of a Biology Watcher
  • Antigone (The Theban Plays, #3)
  • Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass
  • Alcestis
  • The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead
  • Gig: Americans Talk about Their Jobs
  • Truth Worth Telling
Eva Hoffman is a writer and academic. She was born Ewa Wydra July 1, 1945 in Cracow, Poland after her Jewish parents survived the Holocaust by hiding in the Ukraine. In 1959, during the Cold War, the thirteen years old Eva, her nine years old sister "Alinka" and her parents immigrated to Vancouver, Canada, where her name has been changed to Eva. Upon graduating from high school she received a ...more