Start by marking “A Good Girl's Guide to Murder” as Want to Read:
A Good Girl's Guide to Murder

A Good Girl's Guide to Murder

The case is closed. Five years ago, schoolgirl Andie Bell was murdered by Sal Singh. The police know he did it. Everyone in town knows he did it.

But having grown up in the same small town that was consumed by the murder, Pippa Fitz-Amobi isn't so sure. When she chooses the case as the topic for her final year project, she starts to uncover secrets that someone in town desp
Expected publication: May 2nd 2019 by Electric Monkey

The Twisted Tree by Rachel BurgeA Girl Called Shameless by Laura StevenThe Paper & Hearts Society by Lucy PowrieA Good Girl's Guide to Murder by Holly  JacksonProud by Juno Dawson
UKYA in 2019
52 books — 43 voters
King of Scars by Leigh BardugoThe Wicked King by Holly BlackThe Gilded Wolves by Roshani ChokshiChain of Gold by Cassandra ClareDescendant of the Crane by Joan He
YA Novels of 2019
771 books — 1,820 voters

More lists with this book...

Elise (TheBookishActress)
Jul 24, 2018 marked it as releases-2019
guys this looks like a cool she-did-that thriller i support it
Savannah Brown
Twisty, compulsive, and so so clever. Loved how organically the mystery unfolded - the investigation never felt beyond the realms of what a teenager would be able to do on their own (made even more believable by Pip's realistic - and often hilarious - voice). I tried to stay ahead of Pip/Jackson at first but eventually was more than content to just let them take me on the ride. You're gonna want this in May.
Yasmin
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hello, yes, everyone please read this book when it releases in May 2019. It's freaking fantastic.

I read this in practically one sitting, because I just literally could not be away from it for five minutes before I started going over suspects in my head. And boy there were so MANY. I wanted to make my own murder board at times. There were so many twists and turns that had me questioning everything every few chapters or so. And that ending! Even when you think things have are about to be neatly wr
Kirsty
Apr 08, 2019 rated it did not like it
Received all but last few pages in an ARC. Frustrating to say the least as those last few pages have been literally torn out of the book.

By the time they are sent to me (if they are sent to me) or the time I can get hold of a finished copy I will have forgotten what happened well enough to care.

Why did you do this to me?
Nikki
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
This book is bloody genius. One of the best written mysteries I’ve ever read. Pippa is a great lead and the mystery of Andie is fantastically done - all the little reveals and the way Holly Jackson uses the narrative to comment on the media and their depiction of the murder of a pretty white girl allegedly by an Indian boy. It’s brilliant.

The marketing from YALC was excellent too - they ripped out the ending! I know some people had a long wait, but I read it right before they released the endin
Nana
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Omg! This book was so good! I really hope they will translate it in Dutch.
♥ Kayleigh Kehoe ⚜ (Awkword Reviews)✍
Thank you to Net Galley for this ARC sampler in exchange for an honest review.

This has an intense and interesting plot, a really immersive narrative, and a personable protagonist. A Good Girl's Guide to Murder has some serious potential.

📖😍

---------------------------------------
wordpress tumblr bookstagram twitter
---------------------------------------
Johnny (Aurora Sights)
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
As I only received a sample, I cannot give this a full review. However, the snippet that I did read, was full of intrigue. Everyone loves a good murder mystery and I found myself wanting to read more about Andie's disappearance. There were one or two occasions where the project and Pip's life didn't flow right to me. One minute I am reading a transcript and then the next paragraph goes back to Pip's daily life. It was a little dizzying but I would imagine this would be easier to follow (format w ...more
Julia
Aug 20, 2018 marked it as to-read
Thank you, really enjoyed this sampler!

I like the premise, Pippa's narration - including a couple of funny moments - and its unique set-up. It is a bold and original idea to have a student doing her A-level project on such a shocking chain of event - in the vein of a YA Serial or Making a Murderer.

I liked Holly Jackson's writing style and am really keen to read more from Pippa and to see what comes next for her, Andie and Sal.
Gemma F
Apr 03, 2019 marked it as to-read
April 3rd, 2019

I’ve had an ARC since January and it’s next on my TBR books!
Tracey
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I devoured this - well all the way up to the missing section, over YALC weekend.
And it was incredible. Every time I thought I knew what was happening I was wrong. But now I need to #FindAndie

Pippa is a super smart student with her focus on her education. For her Extended Project Qualification Pippa can propose any topic. She choose the missing person case of Andie Bell 5 years previous and the subsequent suicide of Sal Singh, the allegedly guilty boyfriend.

Because Pip doesn't think Sal was gui
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really addictive, I couldn't put this down until I knew exactly what happened.
Michele
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lots of unexpected plot twists and no loose ends.
Jemima Osborne
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have waited a long time to finish this book and let me tell you it is bloody brilliant. Add this to your TBR’s fam, it will have you on the edge of your seats from start to finish.
Charlotte Burns
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Andie Bell was murdered five years ago by Sal Singh. Everyone knows he did it. The whole town was obsessed with the case. Pippa Fitz-Amobi isn't convinced, and chooses this topic for a school project. It soon becomes apparent that there are some serious holes in the original investigation, and Pip sets out to fill them in.

I loved Pip from the start. She has a strong voice, she is stubborn and very organised. She takes a methodical approach to the case study, which we see through her production l
Rebecca
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Originally posted to www.katiealexandrablog.wordpress.com

I have seen SOOOOOOOOO much about this YA debut on my Twitter feed recently, mainly because so many of the authors I follow were raving about it and desperate for proofs at YALC. So when I saw a sampler was available for A Good Girl's Guide to Murder on NetGalley, I clicked 'request' immediately and did a little scream when the email of approval came though.

Five years ago, Andi went missing. Her boyfriend, Sal, was the main suspect, and a
Kate
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it

I was kept on my toes throughout as there were constant culprits and I could have believed that almost everyone was responsible. Through out the book my opinion kept changing and I was constantly guessing. I was fully behind any idea that Pip had and convinced of whoever she thought had done it at that time.

The book was interlaced with transcripts, text messages and normal chapters. That format really worked for me and kept things even more interesting.

I
Latkins
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This innovative debut YA thriller about a cold murder case is an addictive read. ‘Good girl’ Pip Fitz-Amobi is a high achieving A-level student in the small town of Little Kilton, and she decides to write her EPQ (Extended Project Qualification) on the case of Andie Bell, a teenager who disappeared from the town five years earlier. Everyone believes that her boyfriend at the time, Sal Singh, was the murderer, as his body was found in the woods a few days after Andie’s disappearance, his death pr ...more
Gerry Driver
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This may be YA but adults will love the plot twists as Pip begins a controversial school project to uncover the mystery of Andie’s death. With a crime that shocked a community, a body that was never discovered and all the evidence pointing to one man, our teen detective, must delve further into discovering the truth beyond a reasonable doubt; but will she start to have doubts of her own?

Pip is a terrific character with compassion and the kind of drive that we love in our sleuths in their relentl
Miriam
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky to get my hands on a bound proof of this book at YALC. I also loved the genius yet slightly evil idea of wripping out the final chapter to keep people talking about it and the readers hooked and guessing. I have enjoyed every moment of this book and absolutely adore Pippa. She is a great character and very smart. Unlike some other books where the main character is slow to catch on and can't quite figure what is happening, Pippa is very bright and analytical.
This book has kept me gue
S
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lethmi
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Why is it the samplers are always the best? I’m hooked already and now there’s a long, long wait!

Right from the start the author grabbed my attention with the excerpts from notebooks and official documents and the protagonists studious yet hilariously naive commentary. I feel like this could be a rollercoaster of emotions but already I feel like the characters will be painted brilliantly. I hope it lives up to the first few pages, that she finds the answers she is looking for and doesn’t upset t
Lynda Pannett
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love a thriller but so often I’ve worked out the plot in the first half of the book and then I’m just reading to see if I’m right! Well not with this book! The twists and turns are so clever - I genuinely did not see them coming! I love the characters and I want to meet Pip! So clever - I really hope there will be another Pip story in the future! So visual as well - I hope it gets made into a film! My must read of the moment!
Cynthia
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
ohhhh i was in the mood for a good murder mystery and boy did this DELIVER. great prose, fantastic characters, and a brilliant, layered mystery with some important messages. so engaging and suspenseful. pippa fitz-amobi and ravi singh were the perfect detective duo. i loved every moment and absolutely devoured this book.
3.5*. I personally found this to be unnecessarily lengthy, and quite unrealistic in general. Having said that, it’s a YA murder mystery so I should have adjusted my expectations accordingly. I did enjoy it, but it wasn’t as unputdownable as I was hoping it would be.
Soraya B
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Favourite thriller ever and I'm not biased at all
John
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A must read for all.
Katie Collis
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I couldn’t put it down! Gripping from start to finish and as a nerdy girl I loved having such a relatable character in Pip. Can’t wait to read more from Holly!
MISS McArdle
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fantastic read! Literally could not put it down... some many clever twists and turns. The writing is incredible and the humour that dusts the literary language makes it a great read!
Louise
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This star rating is based on the sampler I picked up at Yalc 2018.
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Last Girl Lied To
  • The Best Lies
  • Untitled
  • We Told Six Lies
  • Dear Wife
  • The Paper & Hearts Society (The Paper & Hearts Society #1)
  • The Truth About Keeping Secrets
  • All Eyes on Us
  • Paper Avalanche
  • The Arrangement
  • It Ends With You
  • Virtually Yours
  • Next Girl to Die (The Calderwood Cases, #1)
  • A Girl Called Shameless (Izzy O'Neill, #2)
  • Ink in the Blood (Ink in The Blood #1)
  • The Nanny
  • The Mermaid, the Witch and the Sea
  • The Island
Holly Jackson was born in 1992. She grew up in Buckinghamshire and started writing stories from a young age, completing her first (poor) attempt at a book aged fifteen.

'A Good Girl's Guide to Murder' is a YA Mystery Thriller and her debut novel. She lives in London and aside from reading and writing, she enjoys binge-playing video games and pointing out grammatical errors in street signs.