Start by marking “A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)

A Good Girl's Guide to Murder

(A Good Girl's Guide to Murder #1)

4.38  ·  Rating details ·  10,378 ratings  ·  2,129 reviews
The case is closed. Five years ago, schoolgirl Andie Bell was murdered by Sal Singh. The police know he did it. Everyone in town knows he did it.

But having grown up in the same small town that was consumed by the murder, Pippa Fitz-Amobi isn't so sure. When she chooses the case as the topic for her final year project, she starts to uncover secrets that someone in town
Published May 2nd 2019 by Electric Monkey

To ask other readers questions about A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, please sign up.
Hajra There's nothing too gory or anything but does cover some confronting topics so I would say a mature, young reader: around 13 and above.…moreThere's nothing too gory or anything but does cover some confronting topics so I would say a mature, young reader: around 13 and above. (less)
Amanda It was originally published in the U.K. in 2019 as a paperback. This February it will be published in the U.S. for the first time and it will be a…moreIt was originally published in the U.K. in 2019 as a paperback. This February it will be published in the U.S. for the first time and it will be a hardcover book.(less)
A Good Girl's Guide to Murder by Holly  JacksonThe Twisted Tree by Rachel BurgeA Girl Called Shameless by Laura StevenProud by Juno DawsonThe Paper & Hearts Society by Lucy Powrie
UKYA in 2019
65 books — 61 voters
The Wicked King by Holly BlackKing of Scars by Leigh BardugoThe Gilded Wolves by Roshani ChokshiFinale by Stephanie GarberWayward Son by Rainbow Rowell
YA Novels of 2019
861 books — 2,865 voters

More lists with this book...

·  10,378 ratings  ·  2,129 reviews

Start your review of A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)
Nilufer Ozmekik
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-m-intrigued
APPLAUSE! APPLAUSE! APPLAUSE! One of the quickest, one of the best crazy roller coaster experiences I had as soon as I took this book into my hands. Still shaky, blubbering (I already requested a translator to communicate properly), nail-less, confused, dizzy but also smiling and happy! GAVE MY FIVE FULL MYSTERIOUS SHINING STARS!

GREAT STORY TELLING, ATTENTION TAKER PLOT, FANTASTIC CHARACTERIZATION, FAST AND HEART THROBBING PACING AND GREAT-SATISFYING ENDING! What are you waiting for guys? The
Chelsea Humphrey
Surprise! I was asked to write the recommendation for this story on the Book of the Month website, and I'm thrilled to finally be able to share it with you as it's live on the site. If you'd like to go directly to the page, you can click HERE, just keep scrolling below if you are outside of the US and not a subscriber.

As a reader who developed her book obsession by devouring every Nancy Drew installment in elementary school, I've been an avid enthusiast of YA crime fiction for most of my life.
Chloe
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars*
love a good small town murder mystery and this was so good!!

trigger warnings: rape, drug use, death of a pet, kidnapping
Meredith
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: overdrive
SMART GIRLS RULE!

A Good Girls Guide to Murder is a smart YA mystery/thriller about a 17-year-old girl who investigates a murder that rocked her small town 5 years ago.

Pippa Pip Fitz- Amobbi to conduct her Senior Capstone project on the disappearance of Andie Bell, a high school senior who was presumed to be murdered by her boyfriend, Sal Singh. Shortly after Andie went missing, Sal killed himself and confessed to her murder. But Andies body was never found. Convicted by the town and the press,
Larry H
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
You know the feeling when you literally sit in the car outside your office and race to finish your book? That's what happened to me this morning with Holly Jackson's excellent debut novel, A Good Girl's Guide to Murder .

...I dont know who I am when Im not working, when Im not focused on or totally consumed by a task. Who am I between the projects and the assignments, when theres nothing to do? I havent found her yet as it scares me. Maybe thats why, for my senior capstone project this year, I
Michelle
I'm going to review this book the only way I know how. It's getting TWO ratings. Let's discuss:

3 stars is where I stand on this book. It was good. It fell victim to my problem with YA (which is why I don't really read a lot of YA). I have so much trouble relating to the characters because that time in my life is long over and I have trouble caring. There were also some similarities to the murder being investigated and the first Serial Podcast case, so that kind of irked me a little. (I might be
Umut Rados
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rounded up from 4.5 stars. This is a YA crime thriller, and I enjoyed it so much!
In a small town, 5 years ago, a young girl called Andie went missing and they could never find her. Her ex-boyfriend (Sal) is found dead just a few days later leaving solid proof that he did it and he took his own life. So, the police closes the case, and declared Sal as the murderer and Andie dead.
5 years after, Pip, a brilliant student chooses the case as her homework. But, in her mind, she never believed Sal
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
So here it is...unpopular opinion alert. Sorry guys I just didn't love it as much as pretty much everyone else in the world. I was so excited to get this from BOTM. It actually was the most excited I have been over a BOTM pick in quite awhile. That cover, the title, whew and the hype!

I did like it, I just didn't love it. I think probably my problem was I don't generally read YA. I have been picking up some YA recently and they just don't read like I would expect a YA to read. They seem like
Ashley Nuckles
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have to work at 7am tomorrow and stayed up ridiculously late just to finish this because I was on the EDGE OF MY SEAT UNTIL THE VERY END. Holy Jesus that entire book made me shiver but in an entirely good way lol!
Olivia (Stories For Coffee)
Its been a while since Ive picked up a YA mystery, and this one was very entertaining! Not only was it told through pose, but it also includes emails, transcripts, papers, etc. to make it feel as though you too are looking through piles of evidence to solve this local crime. Its also been a while since Ive read a book and didnt successfully guess the plot twists, but one can also say the answer to this crime came somewhat out of no where, so *shrugs* I wasnt utterly impressed by the ending but I ...more
Zoe Mann
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ok so Ive had a full 24hours to get over how spectacular A Good Girls Guide to Murder by Holly Jackson is and I now feel semi ready to write a review.

So where do I start, WOW, WOW, WOW! I needed this book. Reading had become so boring lately and this book slapped me right across the face and made me sit up straight and pay attention!

I loved everything about this book. The humour, the characters, the secrets, the emotions. I genuinely laughed out loud and burst out crying at this book (more
Kendall
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OK... STANDING ovation for Holly Jackson friends. WOW this book totally blew my expectations out of the damn water plus some.

This book deserves all the stars plus more! I am SO unbelievably sad that this book had to come to an end. BUT, am SO ecstatic that this is going to a be a series and it looks like we only have to wait until April to get the second....muhahahahaahha.

Easily one of my top thrillers of ALL time. Yes... ALL time. I can't tell you how refreshing it is as a huge thriller/mystery
Sara
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
This was more YA than i am used to and reads as such.
This was predictable but fun nonetheless, i enjoyed the way the story was told through a variety of different ways, emails, diary entries etc and thought the main character was pretty cool.
If you don't read much in the way of mysteries you might like this, but if you read mystery and thrillers often you might find this predictable as I did.
Virginie
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fast paced and full of interesting twists!

I have to admit it won't be a memorable read, but it was entertaining. A younger me would probably give this YA novel 5 stars. I could predict some things, but not everything. I had a good time while reading it!

5*: Sad to finish it, this book was amazing
4*: Really liked it!
3*: Liked it
2*: Fell asleep a couple of times during my reading... but not entirely boring!
1*: Why did I bother to finish it?!
Dilushani Jayalath
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
In all honesty, I bought this book because the cover intrigued me immensely but the moment I saw it was YA I just kept moving it to the back of my TBR list. Just recently, quite a few months after I bought it I suddenly saw this among the books Ive left to read and in just a moments decision picked it up to read. May I say that was one of the best decisions for me? This is in no way just a YA novel. It has a certain maturity in it that it definitely falls somewhere between a good thriller and ...more
Corina
Feb 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I knew going in, that the audiobook would have a full cast, but I didnt realize just how many interviews and phone calls as well as emails were part of this book, and this kind of format always works well with a full cast.

Thanks to a fantastic production and narration, this audiobook was exceptionally entertaining, captivating and overall a pretty quick audiobook. With 10 hrs and 53 mins it wasnt an overly long audiobook, and I was able to finish it in 3-4 days.

As the blurb mentions, A Good Girl
;3
teenage girl: vibe-checks scummy men

me: 5 stars
Ludwig
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

When you ask people in town what happened to Andie Bell, theyll tell you without hesitation: She was murdered by Salil Singh. No allegedly, no might have, no probably...He did it, they say. Sal Singh Killed Andie.

A mysterious disappearance/murder case has rocked Little Kilton. They all said that Sal did it, but our protagonist Pippa isnt so sure, so she chooses this case as her school project and starts her own investigation into Andie Bells disappearance.
What really happened to
Abbie (boneseasonofglass)
What a wild ride
Xandra (StarrySkyBooks)
*rubs my eyes from tears* 4.5 stars!

This book (as an audiobook):
* made me cry
* made me think and rethink
* had some cool sound effects
* included multiple voice actors
* kept me on the edge of my seat
* had great main characters
* exceeded expectations

There was nothing I didn't like about A Good Girl's Guide to Murder! I flew through this audiobook in about 2 days. I don't have any negative things to say, and I didn't even predict any part of the ending!

One of my favorite YA mystery books, if not,
NZLisaM
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Cross Veronica Mars with Pretty Little Liars, throw in a heroine sleuth worthy of Trixie Belden or Nancy Drew, and you have A Good Girl's Guide to Murder. Simply sensational!

In 2012 pretty popular senior student, Andie Bell, left home to pick up her parents from a dinner party, and never arrived. Police zeroed in on her boyfriend Sal Singh when it was discovered he'd lied about his alibi for that night, and to date, the town of Little Kilton has maintained that Sal killed Andie, even though her
Mónica BQ
I am sooooo on the fence about this one that I've been changing my mind about it's rating and wether to put it on my favourites bookshelves or not. Because I liked the book a lot, but I didn't like it's resolution much.

The thing is I believe this book should be called "A Good Girl's Intro to Racism" or something to that effect.

Let me explain why.

AGGGtM is about Pip and how she undertakes the task of taking another look at the murder of a teen girl a few years older than her that had taken
Robin Stevens
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely addictive and immersive, this is a brilliant contemporary murder mystery perfect for fans of my books who want to step up into YA fiction. Can you guess who killed Andie Bell? (12+)

*Please note: this review is meant as a recommendation only. If you use it in any marketing material, online or anywhere on a published book without asking permission from me first, I will ask you to remove that use immediately. Thank you!*
Angela Staudt
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
And though this story does have its monsters. Ive found that it is not one that can be so easily divided into the good and the bad. In the end this was a story about people and their different shades of desperation, crashing up against each other.

I love a good murder mystery full of twists and turns and A Good Girls Guide to Murder had it all! The complexity of this story is what really made me love and enjoy it. How everything and everyone is connected in this small town and everyones dark
Kate (GirlReading)
The moment this book was compared to Serial, my expectations sky rocketed but Im very happy to say it did not disappoint. This was truly the Veronica Mars/Serial mashup I so desperately needed.

TW: Suicide, racism, mention of self harm and rape
Elise (TheBookishActress)
guys this looks like a cool she-did-that thriller i support it
Ewe Linka
Jan 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Pip is doing a school project on a murder case from 5 years ago, wanting to prove Sal, whom she knew, didn't kill his girlfriend Andie and she tries to investigate every lead in order to prove it.
I am usually a massive fan of crime thrillers and anything mysterious but this didn't quite cut it for me to love it but I liked it a lot nonetheless.
The language and some of the conversations were pretty basic and it didn't let me explore the world the protagonist lives in more depth. I felt some
Savannah Brown
Twisty, compulsive, and so so clever. Loved how organically the mystery unfolded - the investigation never felt beyond the realms of what a teenager would be able to do on their own (made even more believable by Pip's realistic - and often hilarious - voice). I tried to stay ahead of Pip/Jackson at first but eventually was more than content to just let them take me on the ride. You're gonna want this in May.
Tori
Mar 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Going into this read I didn't know it was a YA which I'm not sure would have mattered. I have read YA books before and loved them, Hunger Games, Divergent, The Fault In Our Stars. I felt like this YA read like a YA. The YA I've read before I don't think I could really tell while reading that they were a YA. This one felt young and maybe the writing was extremely simplistic in parts, making it feel very childlike.

I did really enjoy the last 3 to 4 chapters of the book the rest felt childlike and
Alexa
Feb 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
THIS BOOK WAS SO FREAKING GOOD. Seriously. Best YA thriller I have read in years. Kara Thomas levels of great. The hype is real: if you are a thriller fan PICK UP THIS BOOK.

I mean, where do I start? This is basically a YA take on Serial, a premise that could easily go astray given everyone is trying it, but I really liked the both the parallels and the differences. There's no podcast, but the famous case in Pip's town's past is essentially Hae Min Lee and Adnan Syed, only with no body discovered

• One of Us Is Next (One of Us Is Lying, #2)
  • Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei, #1)
  • This Lie Will Kill You
  • All Your Twisted Secrets
  • The Hand on the Wall (Truly Devious, #3)
  • The Holdout
  • The Places I've Cried in Public
  • Reverie
  • Anna K
  • Be Not Far From Me
  • Most Likely (Most Likely #1)
Holly Jackson was born in 1992. She grew up in Buckinghamshire and started writing stories from a young age, completing her first (poor) attempt at a book aged fifteen.

'A Good Girl's Guide to Murder' is a YA Mystery Thriller and her debut novel. She lives in London and aside from reading and writing, she enjoys binge-playing video games and pointing out grammatical errors in street signs.

A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (4 books)
  • Good Girl, Bad Blood (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #2)
  • Untitled (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #3)
  • Untitled (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #4)