Start by marking “Deep Medicine: How Artificial Intelligence Can Make Healthcare Human Again” as Want to Read:
Deep Medicine: How Artificial Intelligence Can Make Healthcare Human Again

Deep Medicine: How Artificial Intelligence Can Make Healthcare Human Again

One of America's top doctors reveals how AI will empower physicians and revolutionize patient care
Medicine has become inhuman, to disastrous effect. The doctor-patient relationship--the heart of medicine--is broken: doctors are too distracted and overwhelmed to truly connect with their patients, and medical errors and misdiagnoses abound. In Deep Medicine, leading physi
Published March 12th 2019 by Basic Books

To ask other readers questions about Deep Medicine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deep Medicine

Manzoor Elahi
Critics hailed Big Data: A Revolution That Will Transform How We Live, Work, and Think as a vision of future for big data. But a lot of it turned out to be hype. I see the same hubris in health care AI. Take IBM Watson for example, IBM Watson still hasn't delivered much in health care. (https://spectrum.ieee.org/biomedical/...)

We have seen the mess created by "move fast and break things" philosophy. The way I see it, Deep medicine might be the "move fast and break things" in health care.

Certainl
Sharon
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well researched, eye-opening and fascinating. AI is the future of medicine and I think we need to embrace it and make sure that patients get the most out of it.
Michael Halcon
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very up to date and well researched book on the world of AI and its application in medicine.
For someone with little knowledge about AI like myself, it gives a quick overview of AI, in what sectors AI tools are being used, and then proceeds to talk about its application within different branches of medicine, but also within other related areas such as drug discovery, omics and mental health.

At the same time he also touches on issues of empathy in medicine and the patient-doctor relationship.

"..
Alina
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
One way to describe modern medicine is "shallow". This book explores how AI would actually deepen in and how we should not be afraid of what it can bring to the table.
Kristen (BeyondSecretPages)
Well, that was certainly an informative and insightful book about the use of artificial intelligence in healthcare. (However, I do admit that I skimmed some parts of it because I was mainly just looking for the applications.)

For me, I did have prior knowledge about how AI works and some of its applications in medicine, but the author really does a good job in presenting some really cool uses that are being currently developed or will be in the future. I really thank the author for compiling all
Peter Tillman
Jul 29, 2019 marked it as to-read
Nice review at Science magazine: https://blogs.sciencemag.org/books/20...
Excerpt:
"Eric Topol ... is optimistic about the future of health care. In Deep Medicine, he anticipates that new machine learning technologies will improve the precision and accuracy of disease diagnosis, thus providing a better way to identify the best therapies. ... He hopes that the time freed up by these approaches will be devoted to reviving humane medical practices. ...

The great contribution of this book is that Topol
Nick
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I appreciate that the author opens up with an example of how AI can be a bad thing in healthcare. It sets the stage for the delicate balance that needs to be considered in this field. Certainly we can't just use computers for cold, sterile diagnoses. Rather, doctors need to spend their time on the patient and augment their medical knowledge with software while improving their empathy.

As our medical technology evolves, it will be crucial that empathy is a key priority. Otherwise, medicine will no
Asya Igmen
Jul 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Deeply informative. Topol provides a compelling case for ‘deep medicine’ and a comprehensive review of how AI has (and will continue to) impact health care. The examples he shares are concrete, which helps simplify an immensely complex topic. I found it particularly refreshing to read a realistic interpretation of both the opportunity and threat AI poses (aka Topol does a great job disproving oft-cited alarmist claims).

It’s a must for any lay reader working in the health industry (not sure it’s
Steve
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eric Topol is always interesting be it a book, an interview, a podcast or on Twitter. On Twitter to me he wins the MVT award for most valuable tweeter.

This is I believe the third book of his that I’ve read. I am not a novice to AI/ML and I lecture on these topics.

This is a very thorough book. Almost every page is filled with information worth checking out even further. It covers the current state of AI in medicine thoroughly. From journal articles to companies carrying out the efforts I can’t s
Jonathan Fang
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Former Cleveland Clinic chair cardiologist Eric Topol explores the expected impact of AI in medicine. Purely diagnostic specialties might be replaced by AI in some countries within a decade. Surgeons are at risk of being replaced in 3 decades. Topol argues that automation need not replace doctors, but can instead allow them to serve the human role as providers of empathy and comfort, which are often deficient in modern medicine due to overwork.

An Interesting argument
Tiago
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
AI will reshape medicine

This is the third book on the future of medicine by Dr. Eric Topol. He states that the future of medicine lays above three pillars:

- Digitization: covered on his first book, The Creative Destruction of Medicine;
- Democratization: covered on his second book. The Patient Will See You Now;
- Deep Medicine: covered in this book.

At first, I thought this book would be a guided tour about the expectations and the use of artificial intelligence around the different medical specia
Scott Pearson
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: healthcare, software
The author, an innovative medical school president in California, is one of my favorites on the topic of computing in medicine. He sees the medical landscape wider than most scholars, and he is a true humanist at heart. He surveys the field of artificial intelligence and sees how it could apply to modern medicine.

Most of the described projects are pipe dreams now, but Topol sees potential in them. Of course, they need rigorous clinical trials to demonstrate their efficacy. I would love for my pe
Nick Cruz
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
What I admire most about this book are two things: the exhaustive list of reseach that Topol and his colleagues have collated and the stories that Topol shared in his career as a physician.

The former I appreciate mostly because Topol said at the end how difficult it was to come up with all of this research and present them in this book. He's a very intelligent physician but I imagine it must have been difficult to translate research papers to physician terms, then AGAIN to layman's terms for us
Irwan
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished, 2019
I remember reading a book called Being Digital in the late 90s. And here we are, being digital! Information Technologies have changed our live for the better or worst.

Reading this book took me back to that time. In the late 90s I wouldn't imagine that in 2019, I will be sharing my reading on a social media with a very light laptop connected to a wifi, and technically what I write will be accessible by anybody the second I submit it. The publisher will take my rating and other data points to meas
Jonathan
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: medicine
This is an excellent book on the incredible potential for AI to transform how medicine is practiced, with some acknowledgement of the potential pitfalls and growing pains. Parts of the book are simply summaries of the long list of studies that have been conducted using machine learning in an area of medicine with little additional analysis from Topol. As someone who works in this field and was aware of most of those studies, I found those parts of the book tedious. For those unfamiliar with the ...more
Anna
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, audiobook
Medicine is definitely one of those fields where there is a lot to be gained by implementing good AI, but it needs to be done with care - AI will have the same human prejudices as humans if it’s instructed poorly. And this is where the book comes interedti g: how can we implement it intelligently, how is it already used, what kind of ways can we use it next, where to draw the lines for privacy etc.
Interesting stuff, and the book will probably need an update in 5-10 years. Laws will need updates
Aseem Badshah
Jun 04, 2019 rated it liked it
A good introduction to the future of medicine and where innovation is happening in our healthcare system. Topol does a good job of describing specific scenarios where machine learning can impact different areas of medicine (diet, radiology, note taking, diagnostics, etc.) and provides real-world examples of organizations working on these innovations today. The book can be a bit redundant and stale in areas. In my opinion, about a third of the content could be removed to make it a more impactful ...more
Joel
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Topol has been writing about AI and Medicine for some time and this latest book incorporates much of the previous books but focused more on AI today and potential. Not yet ready for mass prime time, except for what he calls the "pattern fields" (dermatology, radiology, pathology, etc.), the book has several excellent chapters on the human side of medicine (the subtitle is "how AI can make healthcare human again") including a really great chapter summarizing research on what he calls "deep empath ...more
Olatomiwa Bifarin
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Okay.

This one is a good read. I have read a few materials on AI and biology (medicine), but this one stands out. The fourth industrial revolution had begun, and Dr Topol managed to map out how AI is impacting, and will impact, medicine. Perhaps you know of how instagram photos had been used to reveal predictive markers of depression. Or how scientists are using AI to predict time of death. Skin cancer detection with your smartphone. Mobile apps for medical diagnosis. Drug discovery insilico. Wh
Agatha Nolen
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Eric Topol explains why medicine has become fractured. Rather than information technology making healthcare easier, we are in a phase where we are now spending more time managing our machines. But that can all change with artificial intelligence if we harness the power appropriately. But in the end, machines will never replace good doctors and other healthcare providers. We still need the personal touch and human ability to observe and listen that machines will never duplicate.
Vivek Natarajan
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A comprehensive survey of AI in medicine and healthcare. I was a bit alarmed at how the author thought models with high AUC scores alone were good without taking into the difficulty of the ML problem, how the dataset was curated, etc. His vision for the future of AI in medicine though optimistic also seemed a bit contrived. However given the breadth of material the author covers, I thought the read was worthwhile.
Carlos Gaitán
Jun 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Very informative and inspiring book that sheds light on all the many different ways in which the health care industry is broken and how technology, in particular Artificial Intelligence, is well-positioned to disrupt it and free medical practitioners to go back to actually caring for patients. Definitely worth reading!
Joanna
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Highly recommended if you are looking for an easy read yet want to have a comprehensive understanding of the implications of AI on health, healthcare professionals and medical science, provided that you have some basic knowledge of AI, machine learning and bio sciences. It segments the different areas of medicine well and provides strong arguments and evidence for major trends.
Jie
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book introduces the artificial intelligence applied in health care from every aspect. It addresses the pain points of shallow medicine in US and then goes through a lot of examples where ai has already made some progress. Overall, it gives a big picture of intelligence healthcare and can also serve as a reference book.
Carlos Alberto Ledezma
May 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: essays
It took me a while to get through this book, mainly because I didn't find the narrative very exciting (even though I am knee deep in Machine Learning and Biomedical Engineering). However, I think that the message this book conveys is quite important: AI will help clinicians be more efficient in their jobs; this should not translate to seeing more patients, but to spending more time with each one.
Connor Matthews
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well researched and indepth review of the current use as well as likely future role of AI in healthcare, with respect to the ethical and political implications. A must read for anyone like me about to begin a medical career.
Michiel
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Written by an established practitioner and expert, Topol argues that AI (mostly deep learning) could be applied to help medical practitioners to automate the pattern recognition part of their job and to let them focus solely on their main task: helping patients.
Alex Timberman
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very well written book by one of the top 10 most cited authors in medical research. Such a fascinating account of how AI can improve our current healthcare system. Very impressive book, even though I could not understand and therefore glossed over some of the clinical parts of the book.
Sharath Reddy
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Phenomenal review of efforts to use technology to improve medicine
Keith Wheeles
Intriguing review of the current state of 'AI' across a broad range of healthcare applications.
Underground Knowl...: HEALTH, FITNESS AND WEARABLES 38 63 8 hours, 3 min ago
“Eventually, doctors will adopt AI and algorithms as their work partners. This leveling of the medical knowledge landscape will ultimately lead to a new premium: to find and train doctors who have the highest level of emotional intelligence.” 0 likes
“The greatest opportunity offered by AI is not reducing errors or workloads, or even curing cancer: it is the opportunity to restore the precious and time-honored connection and trust—the human touch—between patients and doctors. Not only would we have more time to come together, enabling far deeper communication and compassion, but also we would be able to revamp how we select and train doctors.” 0 likes