Start by marking “Jane Doe and the Cradle of All Worlds” as Want to Read:
Jane Doe and the Cradle of All Worlds

Jane Doe and the Cradle of All Worlds

(Jane Doe Chronicles #1)

John Doe and his infant daughter, Jane, appeared on the steps of the Manor the night the earthquakes started and the gateway to the Otherworlds closed. The people on the remote island of Bluehaven have despised them ever since, blaming Jane and her father for their exile. Fourteen years after that night, the largest earthquake yet strikes. The Manor awakens, dragging John ...more
Published May 7th 2019 by Carolrhoda Books (R) (first published August 1st 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Jane Doe and the Cradle of All Worlds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jane Doe and the Cradle of All Worlds

Mary-ellen
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fabulous debut YA novel by Jeremy Lachlan. I'd probably put it at the upper end of middle grade/primary or the young end of YA.

It's an action-packed adventure story about Jane Doe who enters the mysterious manor on a quest to find her father. The manor is a giant ever-changing labyrinth with traps, hazzards, bad guys and other dangers at every turn. It's more a character than a place. It's also what connects and supports all of the worlds. So when Jane discovers it's been invaded by t
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Jeremy Lachlan is a wonderfully imaginative and ingenious voice in Australian young adult literature. Jane Doe and the Cradle of All Worlds is breathtaking and delightfully captivating until the final page.

The island nation of Bluehaven is a picturesque community, a village permeated by earthquakes and immersed in mythology. For thousands of years, the residents of Bluehaven have apotheosised the remnants of the entrance to another world, a decrepit, monument representing adventure and heroism.
Rachael
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this to my kids a couple of chapters each night over a few weeks. We had a break where I went away for work and they were not best pleased. In fact, every time we read, the moment I said, ‘we’ll stop here’ the protests were loud and bitter!

Things I particularly loved: readability! I love reading aloud. I have a tremendous fondness for the sound and texture of words on the tongue. Reading Jane Doe aloud was a joy. I kept noticing it. I kept thinking, gosh this is so great to read aloud -
Kristy ▪ The Reader Dragon
Actual rating: 4.5>

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! I loved this book so much omgggg!! It was as fun as I was hoping it would be, and then some! AND THE ENDING UURGHHAAAAHHH!!!!! Full review to come!
Nicole Lemmon
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jane Doe and the Cradle of All Worlds is a fast paced gripping, adventure story, with a fantastic twist at the end!

The characters are fantastic, (I think my Violet is well on track to be a fan favourite!), the weird monsters are awesome, the manor comes to life in an amazing way and the villain is one of the creepiest, down right terrifying, bad guys out there!

This book kept me on the edge of my seat right up until the last page and now I already can't wait for the sequel!
Julie Garner
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, action, young-adult
What a great action adventure story for kids 12+!
There is a lot of humour, a little Indiana Jones and plenty of questions within this book.
Jane doesn't know a lot about herself or her dad but she loves him with all her heart. Everything she does is to protect him. When he one day disappears she begins a spooky, scary quest in to the heart of the labyrinth to find him before anyone else does.
Of course, you can't have an adventure without sidekicks...so watch out for them. I have to say, I LOVE
Roy
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very good YA novel for younger readers. Cool world to explore, fun characters and I loved the first person narration. Being a bit older than target readers age, I found the main plot points a little predictable however for the younger readers I think they will love this. Their imagination and amazement will get caught up in the story. I feel like this could be a big seller and I hope it does as its an extremely fun read. My only complaint is that the 2nd half just felt like it directi ...more
Zohal
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An awesome cliffhanger!

Action-packed with a sassy heroine and a very interesting plot. This reminds me very much of the His Dark Materials trilogy by Phillip Pullman.

This is the perfect book for middle-grade readers or just older kids wanting to get into reading.
Daniel Lammin
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A rip-roaring, breathless adventure, filled with thrilling action sequences, enormous world building and a terrific collection of witty and engaging characters, especially its title character. Almost impossible to put down. It puts its foot to the pedal and barely stops for breath, with genuine surprises at every turn. The next installment can’t come fast enough!
Annie
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Simple minds fear what is different..."

Yes I am rating this 5 stars as this was one of the best adventures I have read this year. From the first page, right to the very end, this book was full of nothing but page turning, action packed adventure!! Something was always happening on every chapter - it was never a dull moment. What I also enjoyed were the mysteries that were within the underlying story. The biggest mystery of all - who is our protagonist Jane Doe? where did she come from? why is s
Rebecca
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Warning, warning! Middle-aged lady review:

I picked this book up a few months ago and read the first section after hearing great things on social media - and, loved it.

I’d read reviews saying the book was ‘middle grade fiction’, and thought it would be fine for a primary school audience.

But, when I saw the book nominated for the 2019 ABIA Awards for the ‘13+ yrs older children’, I popped the book into my handbag and brought it home to read properly over the weekend.

While there were a few ‘iffy
Alex
Jane Doe and the Cradle of All Worlds is a valiant effort by a local author, and one that will probably catch the minds of younger Young Adult readers. At times the book can't help feeling familiar - Jane is introduced living in the basement of an abusive household for reasons that are deemed "magically sound", the bulk of the novel's action consists of Running through a Maze - but Lachlan adds a few flourishes to make the story his own. Jane has an almost cute (albeit conveniently justified) cr ...more
Mitch
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a ride! This book will take you into its world, carry you along an exciting trail with characters who will surprise you and make you laugh, to a thrilling end which will have you wanting book #2 immediately. Lachlan has created a unique world full of interesting people, creatures, places, things and moments. You'll be charmed and intrigued, shocked and entertained from page one to the very end. A super debut from a new Aussie author.
Educateempower
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow - Every time I picked up this book I knew that my heart would be racing, I’d be skipping words and I’d be turning the page before I had even finished reading it.

It’s just one of those books that you shouldn’t read before bed if you need to relax!

Jane Doe and The Cradle of all Worlds is a cross between some of my favourite stories: Narnia, Indiana Jones, Nevermoor and Pan’s labyrinth.

It’s fast paced and action packed but the characters are so enchanting that it is not only the adventure you w
Ava Booth
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are so many mysteries in this book! As Jane Doe goes on the adventure to find her father she learns all sorts of secrets at the same time as the reader, which makes it really exciting and keeps you wanting to read on. I found the start of the story a little slow to get going, but once I was a third of the way through the book the excitement really started to kick in and then it became a real page turner.

I really enjoyed reading the parts set in the Manor where the rooms were shift
Kathryn
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This first instalment of a middle-grade fantasy adventure series has some great moments and interesting twists, but, overall, the dark and slightly off humour was not for me.

A longer review appears on my blog, Kathryn's Inbox
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really, really enjoyed this! Think Indiana Jones, Temple Run-esque adventure with a great mystery, funny characters and a page turning plot line. Cannot wait for the next one!
Elaine Aldred
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Earthquakes have plagued the island of Bluehaven from the moment Jane Doe and her father emerged from the mysterious Manor fifteen years ago. Their appearance also signalled a sealing of the Manor, the entrance to other worlds through a dangerous labyrinth. From that day father and daughter have been despised by the residents of Bluehaven.
After the strongest quake to have ever hit Bluehaven strikes, coinciding with the disappearance of Jane’s father into the Manor, Jane must return into the Mano
Melinda Szymanik
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hmm I mostly enjoyed this story - its a rollicking good adventure in a novel setting with some fairly big stakes. I did wonder at the audience though as it reads fairly middle grade but does have a fair amount of violence and some more mature themes which would suggest its more YA, but then it doesn't really feel YA. The voice, while most enjoyable to read, is very modern with modern, real-world expressions, and yet the setting seems old fashioned in a Ye Olde Worlde way so the voice seemed a bi ...more
Jo
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an action-packed adventure, Jane Doe enters a mysterious manor on a quest to find her father. The manor is a giant ever-changing labyrinth with traps, hazards and villains. Jane is like a junior Indiana Jones, she navigates through the manor is filled with rooms that change, rooms filled with traps.

Fans of Phillip Pullman's Dark Materials, Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson adventures, will love this heart-pounding and spell-binding adventure with its nod to the classic 80s movies The Goonies
Claire Truasheim
SO GOOD OMG. BEST YA/CHILDRENS BOOK I'VE READ IN A LONG LONG TIME.

ASFIEIAKWNFISKAOELSPFJENFMD.

READ IT.
Nix
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THIS BOOK IS BRILLIANT!!!!!! Action packed, the story is super original and super awesome! I LOVE Jane as a character, she's everything I wanted to be when I was growing up - brave, clever and very bold. I can't wait for book 2!!!
Haylee Collins
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok so you know how when you were a kid/pre-teen you had that one EPIC adventure story you read and loved so so much, and it changed your life and made you believe anything was possible, and that you'd obviously go on to be a grown-up who has the most fantastic adventures all the time, and even now when you think of it or re-read it you're transported back to that time and mindset?
This is that book.
Jaq
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: australian-2017
A slow start saw me put the book down a couple of times, but then I hung in and it grew on me.
Loved Jane, Violet and Hickory - and can't wait to see what they get up to next!
Tim Armstrong
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It isn’t often that hyped books deliver to the level you expect, but “Jane Doe & the Cradle of the World” delivers, indeed it exceeded expectations.
I was fortunate enough to get an advance reading copy of this book and it blew me away - it's that good!!
Jane Doe is a rollicking tale of adventure and discovery that gets you hooked virtually from the first page and doesn’t let you go! Indeed the author just continues to ramp up the tension, (and at times the humour) right to the end! So get re
Michael Earp
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, fantasy, adventure with a queer protagonist. Fabulous!
McKayla
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First, a confession: I haven’t got my hands on a really good book lately. And by that, I mean as more of a beginning of a series. Down To Oath by Tyrolin Puxty is an incredible book, Mockingjay was an incredible end of a series, The Mortal Instruments is...okay, but I haven’t got a book lately in which I was really hyped up for the sequel. However, this all changed when I started reading Jane Doe and The Cradle of all Worlds.

**mild spoiler alert if you want to start this book without knowing plo
Printed Pages and Coffee
Alright nerds, I’m going to be honest and say I had High Hopes for this book. I had Expectations. The last middle grade book I read was Nevermoor: The Trials of Morrigan Crow and it might be a little unfair to say that’s the bar for middle grade because so many awards, but there you are. High Hopes and Expectations.

Was it Nevermoor-level incredible? Not quite, but it honestly came really, really close for me. It’s an entirely different sort of story, which I appreciate because when books start t
Janelle Dazzlepants
Jane Doe and the Cradle of All Worlds tells the story of Jane, who appeared in Bluehaven years ago with her father in a mysterious series of events, and ever since the townspeople have dubbed them cursed. One day, a giant earthquake rocks Bluehaven and Jane is thrust headfirst into a quest through a fantastical labyrinth known as the Manor.

It's always hard to review middle grade as I'm clearly not the target audience, but I just wasn't into this. I went into it expecting a middle grade Indiana
Book Gannet
This young teen fantasy adventure starts in a pretty dark place, with Jane being the despised and hated figure in Blue Haven. If Harry Potter thought he had it bad sleeping in a cupboard under the stairs, at least he’s not locked in a basement, sole carer of an ailing father, while once a year the locals throw a big party and burn effigies of the two of them. To say that Jane’s life is rough is an understatement, yet somehow, when told that she’s the only one who can save the place, she doesn’t ...more

• Found
  • Admission (Pandora Jones, #1)
  • The Rift
  • The Fall
  • In the Dark Spaces
  • Wilder Country (Winter, #2)
  • Because of You
  • Tin
  • After the Lights Go Out
  • The Ones That Disappeared
  • All the Little Bones (Circus Hearts, #1)
  • Living on Hope Street
  • Waer
  • Between Us
  • The Extremely Inconvenient Adventures of Bronte Mettlestone (Kingdoms & Empires, #1)
  • A Shadow's Breath
  • Jinxed (Jinxed, #1)
  • Small Spaces
Jeremy Lachlan was born and raised in Griffith, country NSW, Australia. He completed his Honours degree in creative writing at the University of Canberra in 2004, and now calls Sydney home. As yet, he has won no writing prizes, but he did once take home $100 in a karaoke competition. He's super proud of this. He came up with the idea for Jane Doe and The Cradle of All Worlds while lost in the Cair ...more